Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

Teja

Brilliant all round so far today and not just the goals.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
18 in 29 in all competitions, 13 in 24 in the league. With Bruno in, I think his levels definitely gone up and he's just getting on the end of far more chances, and even more so with Pogba now. Ighalo helps as well, as he can be withdrawn/rotated when needed to keep him more fresh and not give him as many muscular injuries (missed 2 months this season basically). Capable of getting ~25 in all competitions I'd say, the same with Rashford which as a pair is really good for your main two.
Not a chance we sign someone else to be the main #9, it'll be Martial, Ighalo as depth and Greenwood as the future guy. We need to go all out for Sancho, but that's it for the attack.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
By the way, you can see the difference between this game and the last one, we have more players in and around the box. It makes it a lot easier for the striker when he isn't virtually marked by the entire backline.

MalcolmTucker

By the way, you can see the difference between this game and the last one, we have more players in and around the box. It makes it a lot easier for the striker when he isn't virtually marked by the entire backline.
Yep, had them queuing up for the second goal. He's making runs every time Pogba and Bruno get the ball

TheRedDevil2019

I think Martial's been training with Lewandowski this week :D, damn. Talk about a pure poacher's finish, Solksjaer will be thrilled, perhaps his training drills in the positional center-forward play is paying off?

hmchan

You see, you have an left footed RW who has the ability to cut in then everyone plays closer to him.

James was a weakness for him.

You cant play crossers of the ball with a support striker.

He becomes a more clinical player with the ability to play like the glue that brings Rashford and Greenwood close together.
It's exactly opposite to what you said in the other thread. This game Martial plays pretty much as a predatory no. 9 who stays in the box and he gets himself 2 poacher goals. This is what he should do and this is the result people want.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/anthony-martial-2019-20-performances.448821/page-138

LARulz

It's probably between him and Greenwood for the top 2. Arguably he is #1 given he's shown it over a longer period.
Yeah that's what I would base it on as well because I agree, Greenwood is up there based on what he's show so far

dablem_10

if he was more selfish he would have 3 more goals already in league. Thats why i like him. He is on same wave as Bruno and Pogba, they can play one touch flicks in crowded areas. Finally he looks starting firing typical striker goals from first touch

He'sRaldo

It's exactly opposite to what you said in the other thread. This game Martial plays pretty much as a predatory no. 9 who stays in the box and he gets himself 2 poacher goals. This is what he should do and this is the result people want.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/anthony-martial-2019-20-performances.448821/page-138
The reason we're able to build up that high up the pitch and have AWB on the touchline is because of the interplay of the forwards. Of course when the team is that high up he'll be in the box as a clinical striker.

With James as a right footer hugging the touchline, it's hard to even build up the play, as the forwards are too far apart. In addition, AWB doesn't have enough space to get forward so we can overload the box.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

No he has always been known as a more predatory version of Firmino so he plays slightly more forward.

He interlink the players really well with the one twos with Rashford and Greenwood and he always has done.

Stacks

Indeed, I didn't get it either. The players around him barely brought him into the game and somehow that got shown up to be his fault.
It was way to early and unnecessary. I am taking these games as if every player has come back from injury or pre season
When it rains, it pours. Best finisher at the Club so far.
It's probably between him and Greenwood for the top 2. Arguably he is #1 given he's shown it over a longer period.
Yeah that's what I would base it on as well because I agree, Greenwood is up there based on what he's show so far
Not gonna lie, Greenwood is unlike anything I have seen finishing wise at United. Both feet too

RUCK4444

Much better movement and all round play from him today. Makes me feel harsh for hammering him but it needs to be consistent.

cmon Tony

el3mel

That was one brilliant hattrick and game today. Fair feck to him. 3 brilliant finishes.

Bebestation

Lynty

A lethal finisher scores a hatrick the first game we finally field 5 ballers. Who'd have thought.

TsuWave

We move

martial anthony, martial anthony

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Not good enough, sell him they said.

People think it's a coincidence he scores a hat-trick the first time we start Pogba & Bruno and he gets proper service?

Time for people to put some respect on his name. :drool:

Bebestation

As most players are - a complete right system player :D

We believe!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah, he must score header against Van Dijk. That is striker what some people want. It is all about height and weight. And yeah, he must run around a lot
Tbh his goal against Chelsea this season (away) was probably one of my favourite from him. Was a brilliant header and something he hasn't shown often.

Coxy

Much better movement and all round play from him today. Makes me feel harsh for hammering him but it needs to be consistent.

cmon Tony
Exactly this. I know people are excited - but let’s see if this becomes consistent

fingers crossed

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Joint highest goalscorer in the league with none of the penalties Rashford got. I'd say he's doing excellent all things considered. His runs this game and positioning was on point. Great to see him get the first hat trick in the PL since SAF.

Irrational.

I think a big middle finger has to go to LvG and Jose for completely sidelining him, either by playing him out of position, giving his shirt number to someone else or buying some fancy toy like Falcao, Sanchez and Lukaku who all flopped. Even the signing of Ibra was a plaster on a gunshot wound.

Greck

Learnt a while back not to post negative about he and Rashford. Their next virtuoso performance is always around the corner to make one look foolish. Consistency could be improved but the production speaks for itself

Greck

I think a big middle finger has to go to LvG and Jose for completely sidelining him, either by playing him out of position, giving his shirt number to someone else or buying some fancy toy like Falcao, Sanchez and Lukaku who all flopped. Even the signing of Ibra was a plaster on a gunshot wound.
LVG made him front and center of our attack. He was to LVG what Lukaku was to Jose.

el3mel

Of course he won't score hattricks every game but as long as he does what he did in the first and second goal I'll be totally pleased. Today with some really brilliant finishing, positioning and movement. Great all around.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
LVG never sidelined him? :confused: He brought him here in the first place, he played his best football under him, before Ole came. He played double the amount of mins under LVG in 1 season than he did under Mourinho in 2 seasons as an older player.

If LVG was still his manager, he would have broke out earlier than this.

Mourinho is the one who deserves to be laughed at. He tried to ruin our Tony.

Skills

Snitch
Eh? LvG always played him and Falcao left before Martial even got here.

Based Adnan

You can argue LVG played him on the left instead of him in the middle but when his whole game plan revolved around isolating Martial 1v1 vs the fullback, it's hard to criticize him for not backing Martial enough.