Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
All he needed was the right players in the right system playing at the right angles.

No one rated Firmino until players like salah and Mane were playing next to him - he can go goalless per games but adds fluidity to our front line.

Martial was always the same supportive striker role just playing a bit of a different style of football that also allows him to be more clinical for us.

We played Greenwood and it all settled perfectly- as I always said, play a winger who crosses like daniel James crossing balls to Firmino, it wouldn't lead to crap like Martial haters were having a go at him for.

A system player and I'm glad he and we have it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is the first time I’ve opened this thread ever, as I just didn’t have the energy to take on this fight of defending the guy. Thread made in 2020 where he’s been pretty outstanding on the whole. Best player on the pitch tonight for me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Had an anonymous 20 mins as did the whole team but then had some great moments. He should have put away that goal when he was put through, seemed too casual and allowed the villa defender to get the tackle in. But a strong performance nonetheless.

Bwuk

Played well. Shame he couldn’t get a goal. 7/10

MalcolmTucker

His hold up and link up play was fantastic.

Anyone that thinks he's 'not a proper 9' is just parroting senseless bollocks

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is the first time I’ve opened this thread ever, as I just didn’t have the energy to take on this fight of defending the guy. Thread made in 2020 where he’s been pretty outstanding on the whole. Best player on the pitch tonight for me.
Don't come in this thread after a poor game is all I'll say, now that's exhausting.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
LVG and Giggs deserve a lot of credit for buying him, especially after so few pro level games in France.

His progression into a top level no9 has been sporadic and unstructured, for lots of different reasons, and I feared he wouldn’t make it.

But ole’s belief in him, a lot of coaching and some self confidence has helped him take the final steps to evolve into a genuine all round no 9. He should study and admire Liverpool’s Firminio: modern day no9 can also be work horses and be proud of that contribution too.

in some ways his senior career really starts next season. He has now developed all the tools he needs, knows the league and his team mates very well, and is playing in a settled role for a manager that really believes in him. I’m expecting massive things from now on.

in answer to the OP: yep Martial is our no 9z.

SirScholes

I posted a couple pages back saying I think his hold up play needed to be better...

If you need me I’ll be sat in the corner eating some humble pie, happy to be wrong, he was unplayable yesterday

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I posted a couple pages back saying I think his hold up play needed to be better...

If you need me I’ll be sat in the corner eating some humble pie, happy to be wrong, he was unplayable yesterday
I don't know how that myth even started. He was always good in that. Especially when ball comes to his feet.

Sing you a song

I have been his biggest critic in the past but I’m happy to be proved wrong he has been much better this season and finally established himself .
Will be interesting to see who the front 3 will be in the big games if Sancho signs

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't know how that myth even started. He was always good in that. Especially when ball comes to his feet.
He does have the occasional bad game with that. Most notably one of the matches against Chelsea this season where he couldn't win a thing. So hopefully he can iron those moments out because normally he's much better than most people give him credit for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He does have the occasional bad game with that. Most notably one of the matches against Chelsea this season where he couldn't win a thing. So hopefully he can iron those moments out because normally he's much better than most people give him credit for.
Which happens to all players and in his case it's clearly the exception, not the norm.

SirScholes

Seen an increase in his distribution since he has been moved off the left, looks more natural and confident, he moves like a number 9

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I increasingly like him as the middle man, with Mason and Rashford either side. At last we have a front three all of whom are a real threat.

He needs to develop his shithousing/nuisance game a bit!

JPRouve

Scout
Seen an increase in his distribution since he has been moved off the left, looks more natural and confident, he moves like a number 9
That's what I have been saying for years when people talked about his movements, he has always looked like a striker shunted on the left. Most players are hardwired, they can't reinvent themselves on a whim.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I was doubting him at first but now I'm fully convinced he's a proper 9 with even better skills on the ball than a typical one.
He's improved on so many little things like how he shields the ball, how he makes his runs. Credit to Ole and his staff

JPRouve

Scout
I was doubting him at first but now I'm fully convinced he's a proper 9 with even better skills on the ball than a typical one.
He's improved on so many little things like how he shields the ball, how he makes his runs. Credit to Ole and his staff
I forgot that you tried your best to disagree with me on that one. Shame on you! :D

Deery

Dreary
Pretty quiet first 30 minutes or so thought he was going to go invisible again, then he got the bit between the teeth and showed a bit of hunger.
Had a good game after that it’s what I want to see more of from a centre forward, I think he is learning the position better as the games go by hopefully he can get better and better..

JPRouve

Scout
He wasn't playing like this at the time, give me that at least :wenger:
He deserves praise now, the coaching staff does too.
He was actually showing the same traits and it's also how he was playing with Monaco when used as a lone striker, in particular in August 2015 against PSG. As I have been saying from day one, people got caught by his dribbling abilities but even then he has never dribbled like a wide player, everything in Martial screams central player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He was actually showing the same traits and it's also how he was playing with Monaco when used as a lone striker, in particular in August 2015 against PSG. As I have been saying from day one, people got caught by his dribbling abilities but even then he has never dribbled like a wide player, everything in Martial screams central player.
Yep, that was obvious from day one. For us, football experts at least. :lol:
@kouroux , you are French and you had doubts in him. :nono:

meamth

I don't see Firmino as the benchmark, it's Lewandowski's level is the greatest benchmark for modern no.9.

I want our no.9 to be a goal machine, not just a greak link up player.

JPRouve

Scout
Yep, that was obvious from day one. For us, football experts at least. :lol:
@kouroux , you are French and you had doubts in him. :nono:
I don't blame these people because I wouldn't be surprised if most people knew it but tried to rationalize Mourinho's decision. Mourinho was supposed to be the expert and it's easier to justify siding with him than claim that a 19/20 years old player is right and the experienced manager is totally wrong. I also thought that Rashford had a fair chance to be good wide because early on, I thought that his crossing abilities were impressive, hopefully he will show it in the future because his delivery is pretty good.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you think he has the ability to make the position his own?

I don't follow international an great deal which is why I'm asking.
The ability of course but with France it's 100% about the team and how you play for it. No one has become an automatic starter by default.

E-mal

He is on his way to be an unstoppable player for us. He exudes serious confidence.

Quinzaine

5 goals and 3 assists in 7 games since we've returned to action. Aside from the numbers everything in terms of our attacks are going through him. A case can be made that he's slowly becoming our best player, let alone our long term 9.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Has added so much steal and purpose to his game. Would like to have a better understudy for him though.