Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

MichaelRed

Look we dropped vital points purely down to our own faults so quit with the butt hurt feelings here .

Martial and Rashford are talented but wasteful and neither is good enough to be our long term number nine .

A better centre forward would have scored at least two last night and those misses and bad decisions at the worst times can be the difference between champions league and Europa

We will never win the league again if people refuse to see where we need improving
Doesn't Martial have better conversion than Aguero? But yeah, not clinical enough for United. Move along WUM.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Look we dropped vital points purely down to our own faults so quit with the butt hurt feelings here .

Martial and Rashford are talented but wasteful and neither is good enough to be our long term number nine .

A better centre forward would have scored at least two last night and those misses and bad decisions at the worst times can be the difference between champions league and Europa

We will never win the league again if people refuse to see where we need improving
Why would you blame Martial when it was our defence that lost our game yesterday :rolleyes:

Martial had a 9 out of 10 game - not perfect but really good and yet you seem to bypass the defensive mistakes that led to 2 goals going down.

Absolutely rubbish.

It was Martial 2 - United defence 2
yesterday.

lenny_1248

Insulting another member

What an idiot you are.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Still think he’s better cutting in from the left.

CG1010

Still think he’s better cutting in from the left.
His better touch makes him a better #9 than Rashford + Rashford has better passing range. He has started interchanging with Rashford which is the best solution for all concerned.

Jibbs

We definitely need a CF, Martial and Rashford basically both play better in same position, although they do work great together but having a proper CF like Kane will put United's attack on a different level. We can't spend that much, but ideally United should get Sancho and Kane both.

Kane
Ighalo
Martial
Rashford
Sancho
Greenwood
James

now that's is a proper strike-force.

MalcolmTucker

We definitely need a CF, Martial and Rashford basically both play better in same position, although they do work great together but having a proper CF like Kane will put United's attack on a different level. We can't spend that much, but ideally United should get Sancho and Kane both.

Kane
Ighalo
Martial
Rashford
Sancho
Greenwood
James

Have you been watching the last 8 games or so? You know, where Martial has been playing as a #9 and has been outscoring every other striker in the league, holding the ball up to elite level and scoring worldies.

Kane hasn't even been a 'PROPA CF' for a while now anyway, he drops deep into midfield often and plays a similar role to Martial (insofar neither play on the shoulder on the last defender all game, although Martial drifts to the wings more), except Martial has outscored and outperformed him this season and it's Martial's first full first season as central forward.

Your post might have made sense 3 years ago but these days it just makes me think you're stupid.

flappyjay

I think some of this comes up because people hope their favourite players get transferred to us. The clamoring for someone like Kane says it all, he is still a great striker but doesn't suit our current style. How we play, and how we are building a dynamic attack matters not to them.

Rolaholic

Kane
Ighalo
Martial
Rashford
Sancho
Greenwood
James

This isn't FUT man...

Also Martial has been a superior CF in 2020 to Harry Kane so it's getting a little tired of so many dismissing his productivity and growth to talk up pipe dreams regarding formerly elite players coming back from injury that will never happen.

Dan Levy wouldn't sell us a cold or aging centreback on an expiring contract, he won't sell us his most famous player

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think having a forward who's strong in the air could give us another dimension uptop as we know,for all of their talent,Martial,Rashford and,by the looks of it, Greenwood aren't particularly willing to put their head in the mixer nor seem to have the right anticipation or movement for it.

This,for me, would be the only reason for having Ronaldo back at the club. :D

MalcolmTucker

I think having a forward who's strong in the air could give us another dimension uptop as we know,for all of their talent,Martial,Rashford and,by the looks of it, Greenwood aren't particularly willing to put their head in the mixer nor seem to have the right anticipation or movement for it.

This,for me, would be the only reason for having Ronaldo back at the club. :D
Yeah, it's really holding back Liverpool and City. Football has moved on but half of our antiquated fanbase want Harry Kane to replace Martial because he's about 2 inches taller than him.

ReallyUSA

Yes. He has been on fire. The team now gives him service so he plays with intensity.

spiriticon

In the last few games, he has been a fantastic No.9 and I am slowly changing my mind about his capability in that position.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah, it's really holding back Liverpool and City. Football has moved on but half of our antiquated fanbase want Harry Kane to replace Martial because he's about 2 inches taller than him.
Typical reply. I couldn't give a hoot about what Liverpool or City do. It's about US having another dimension uptop. I didnt say you cant win without having another type of forward upfront. Jesus.

MalcolmTucker

Typical reply. I couldn't give a hoot about what Liverpool or City do. It's about US having another dimension uptop. I didnt say you cant win without having another type of forward upfront. Jesus.
Haha sorry to snap at you, just find it utterly bizarre that people are still harping on about getting a proper number 9 when Martial has been the best striker in the league over the last couple of months and played such a great game yesterday. You suffered the brunt of that despite it not really being the point you were making. To address your point, yeah it would add another dimension but in all honesty I think it's a pretty overstated dimension in the modern game, out of all the elite sides the only attackers that are good in the air off the top of my head are Ronaldo and Lewandowski.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I mean, those are such sweeping statements to make - have you actually bothered to get any stats to support that notion? I did a quick google to find the below:
https://www.squawka.com/en/best-premier-league-forwards-right-now-this-season/
which says Martial has the highest shot conversion rate (68,18%) of any forward in the league this season (must have played 20+ games).

Basically the complete opposite of what you're saying.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Haha sorry to snap at you, just find it utterly bizarre that people are still harping on about getting a proper number 9 when Martial has been the best striker in the league over the last couple of months and played such a great game yesterday. You suffered the brunt of that despite it not really being the point you were making. To address your point, yeah it would add another dimension but in all honesty I think it's a pretty overstated dimension in the modern game, out of all the elite sides the only attackers that are good in the air off the top of my head are Ronaldo and Lewandowski.
Fair enough, :D

I agree with your reasoning. I think us reportedly going in for Jimenez in January could yet be on the table again this summer.

Having players capable in the air would still be a huge advantage. If there is one element that these 3 forwards lack (Rashford,Martial and Greenwood) its their ability in the air.
Its another element why Ronaldo,Tevez and Rooney were so strong and rounded players. They could practically do everything in a attacking sense.

MadMike

You guys are trying to debate a troll, you know that right? You are practically feeding it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Same people who wanted Rashford out started eating shit in the first half of the season and now the Martial haters eating crap.

They just support success over the player.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It feels so good to be so right about a player when others were blind to it. So good. Yes I’m smug. But he’s exactly what we need.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The quick footed silky one-touch football Martial and Rashford play at times is just :drool:

Nori-

It's an opinion im finding harder and harder to justify recently but....I would love someone like Kane/Aubameyang as our number 9 over Martial.

It's not a priority position at the moment though as he's firing goals in. He's earned the right to be our number one striker next season.

MalcolmTucker

Best striker in the league at the moment. Anyone who still wants to replace him Kane (or any other player who we won't ever buy) is a serious simpleton at this stage.

InfiniteBoredom

It's an opinion im finding harder and harder to justify recently but....I would love someone like Kane/Aubameyang as our number 9 over Martial.

It's not a priority position at the moment though as he's firing goals in. He's earned the right to be our number one striker next season.
The Aubameyang who has been a mental midget in big games throughout his career?

Nah, I’ll pass.

RedStarUnited

What would they bring that Martial doesnt?

Nori-

What would they bring that Martial doesnt?
I'd say a guaranteed 25-30 goals a season in this squad.

Martial's been brilliant since the restart but this is the best run of his United career, not something he has been doing year in year out like the other two. All it's going to take is a handful of goal less games and the questions about whether he's a proper striker will start again.

Personally though I'd keep him as number one striker next season and hope he can keep it up, especially if Sancho joins. Goals will come from all over the pitch and there won't be so much pressure on Martial.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination

This is absurd. An injury free Kane in his pomp you could make an argument for, but even then, why would you want to distrupt the chemistry of our attack right now? As for Aubameyang, he doesn't even possess half the all round game Martial has, particularly through the middle with his back to goal. Hence why he frequently finds himself out wide. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous an idea this becomes.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Are you taking the piss?

K_Ash

Looking at the top 4 leagues, in that age group, I cant see a striker that comes close to him, please name me one?..Right now, he is France number 9. I look forward to seeing him wiith Mbappe

Nori-

This is absurd. An injury free Kane in his pomp you could make an argument for, but even then, why would you want to distrupt the chemistry of our attack right now? As for Aubameyang, he doesn't even possess half the all round game Martial has, particularly through the middle with his back to goal. Hence why he frequently finds himself out wide. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous an idea this becomes.
Aubameyang was joint top scorer last year and 2nd highest top scorer this year in a far inferior Arsenal team. Not bad for someone who doesnt have half of Martials game :houllier:

But like I said Martials earned the right to be our number 9 next season. He's playing well with others around him and hopefully he can actually keep it going this time.

Shark

@NotShark
Aubameyang was joint top scorer last year and 2nd highest top scorer this year in a far inferior Arsenal team. Not bad for someone who doesnt have half of Martials game :houllier:

But like I said Martials earned the right to be our number 9 next season. He's playing well with others around him and hopefully he can actually keep it going this time.
This time? when has he ever had any other season as our main striker?

So glad he's earned the right in your lots view anyway, until the next game he doesn't score.