Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

Jonno

God, that Liverpool game.

The fans who gave him stick that game were mental. He was a man alone on an island, carrying the whole attack by himself, but got dogs abuse for not scoring that one chance. Our fans can be right idiots at times. SAlah and Mané missed easier chances the same game.
The issue is, at that time, Mane and Salah were bringing more, much more, to the table than Martial. That’s literally all Martial brought to the table that game, and he didn’t score one of the easiest chances he will get. He wasn’t holding the ball up, he wasn’t pressing, he wasn’t showing for the ball much. That’s why fans were overly critical.

Now however, he‘s a man transformed. It’s a joy to watch him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The issue is, at that time, Mane and Salah were bringing more, much more, to the table than Martial. That’s literally all Martial brought to the table that game, and he didn’t score one of the easiest chances he will get. He wasn’t holding the ball up, he wasn’t pressing, he wasn’t showing for the ball much. That’s why fans were overly critical.

Now however, he‘s a man transformed. It’s a joy to watch him.
Nah, I completely disagree. He did as well as he could've - alone - against the best team in the country.

He created our best two chances - one with brilliant skill, the other with a great ball over the top to Spider-Man, he was showing for the ball but, as usual without Rashford, Pogba and Bruno (even though he wasn't here then), we had no players able of getting the ball to him through Liverpool's press and, when we did get it to him, he did as well as he could alone with multiple players on him.

Pressing probably was poor but, unlike Liverpool and us now, we weren't pressing as a team then anyway. With Rashford out, we reverted to sitting deep most games until Bruno arrived.

This isn't hindsight either. Those of us with a bit of perspective said as much at the time on here, too. The criticisms he received at the time were absurd.

Nori-

I still can't believe there's people who wouldn't take a straight swap with Martial and Harry Kane :confused:

He's on another level.

E-mal

I still can't believe there's people who wouldn't take a straight swap with Martial and Harry Kane :confused:

He's on another level.
Just get somewhere and sit down mister.

Nobody is gonna straight swap them because in current market Kane is more valuable, but to our team Kane is not worth 200m because scoring goals is not a problem for us.

Pretty sure a lot of our fans if given the choice between Kane and Sancho will pick Sancho.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Martial has a 'higher ceiling' than Kane as some of you have said then i look forward to watching him transform into one of the best strikers the world has ever seen.

AlexUTD

If Martial has a 'higher ceiling' than Kane as some of you have said then i look forward to watching him transform into one of the best strikers the world has ever seen.
Well he is quicker and has better close control on the ball. And he is upping his game with bringing others into play while scoring worldies.

Even become more a fox in the box.

Ill say he is only going to get better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell, someone should change this threat title to Martial vs Kane, Spurs super excited fan can't contain himself watching his team play decent football for first team in more than 6-7 months.

Dante

Average bang
Kane is a better player than Martial. Not by a huge amount, but it's still a clear difference.

But Martial's chemistry with Rashford make him a better fit for United.

Simply put, I wouldn't swap Martial for Kane right now. Spurs fans would be justified in saying the same thing.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't understand why there's always a comparison that needs to be made. Martial deserves to be the #9 for this club. If Kane was available at a reasonable fee (which won't happen), then I would go for it but he's not a priority by any stretch of the imagination and all the money needs to be focused on Sancho, another midfielder, and a CB before anything else.

I would actually rather have a solid option that won't cost a Kane-sized fortune and can compete with Martial up front. With Sancho, you can have Greenwood compete with Martial, Sancho, and Rashford (so he'll still get plenty of opportunities) and if someone like Ben Yedder (I keep pushing for him, but I really like him as a CF) was available, I think the front three is set to compete across all competitions.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Based on his performance this season, his age, his style of play and the fact that there isn't any world class striker worth getting at this point, yes Martial should be backed as our long term striker. Next season is huge for him. He can reach world class status

Dread Devil

Martial is so exciting. I am on the edge of my seat every time he gets the ball. His interplay with Marcus, Mason, Pogba and Bruno make home the perfect number 9 for us..

I can’t wait for the next game...

Rolaholic

He's the most irreplaceable part of our attack at the moment after a POTS worthy campaign so I'd say that yes he has to answer the question.

He was always gifted technically but his consistency was a bit up and down at times. He's become a much better player overall in terms of his all-around game under Ole especially in terms of work rate and all that he does to link up and put his teammates in great positions to do damage against opposing back-lines.

Couldn't be happier for him being in as good a situation professionally as he's had so far in his senior career playing under a manager who trusts and has confidence in him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Martial has come leaps and bounds this season but especially in terms of consistency. We knew he had it in him, it was just a matter of delivering game in game out.

If Pogba and Rashford follow into Martial's footsteps this season and start delivering similar 8/10 (based on their personal potential) performances, we'll have one scary team.

meamth

First time ever since Fergie times I felt like I don't want a new striker.

Let the kid develop further and further and become United legend.

VanGaalEra

Been good most of the season, was very good last 5/6 games before lockdown and has been fantastic since the restart. He won’t be replaced, he’s our number 9 for the next 5-7 years.

Jeffthered

This thread amazes me.

Player of the season.. I don't know, we were average before Bruno, and Greenwood also made a huge difference.

I want us to buy a top, top No 9. That is not Martial.

He has improved, but still does not lead the line and inspire his team, score enough goals on a consistent basis, (like Aguero, Lewandoski, Kane, Benzema, even Vardy etc..)

Martial is not in that bracket, and that is the sort of No 9 we need and have always aspired to attract.

Martial would not improve any other big club in Europe. Think about that. Yet he is the best we can do?

MichaelRed

This thread amazes me.

Player of the season.. I don't know, we were average before Bruno, and Greenwood also made a huge difference.

He has improved, but still does not lead the line and inspire his team, score enough goals on a consistent basis, (like Aguero, Lewandoski, Kane, Benzema, even Vardy etc..)

Martial is not in that bracket, and that is the sort of No 9 we need and have always aspired to attract.

Martial would not improve any other big club in Europe. Think about that. Yet he is the best we can do?
Is this... is this satire?

Let's break down this utter tosh.

"average before Bruno" no doubt. Any striker in the world would look average when the opposition see you as the only attacking threat and the only supply you're reliant on is coming from Mata, Lingard & Pereira. Were you expecting Martial to pick the ball up in his own box, beat 9 players and slot it home every game? In the first half of the season, we didn't score more than 1 goal in any single game where Martial wasn't playing, even when we were crap he was the shining light for us.

"I want us to buy a top, top No 9. That is not Martial." Ok, he's the 5th highest goalscoring No.9 in the league this season with 17 goals (also 6 assists) behind only Vardy 23G 5A, Auba 22G 3A, Ings 22G 2A & Kane 18G 2A. He has played 200 less minutes than Ings, 300 less than Vardy and 400 less than Auba. Also, if you add his goals and assists then he has contributed to 23 goals, 3 more than Kane who everyone claims is a "top top no.9" & only 2 less than Auba & 1 less than Ings who we've already established played a considerable amount more minutes than him. To top it all off, let's return to the earlier point as well that we played the first half of the season without a single creative midfielder! let's no forget that Pogba was out injured until we signed Bruno.

Another key thing to consider is age. Every position on the pitch matures at a different rate, strikers don't typically hit their prime until they're past 25. Martial is 24 years old & already outperforming the next youngest No.9 I previously mentioned in Kane, who is 27 years old tomorrow. Vardy is 33, Ings is 28 & Aubameyang is 31. Do you really think he won't make up those 1 or 2 goal contributions they're ahead of him by the time he is their age? Give your head a wobble.

"He has improved, but still does not lead the line and inspire his team, score enough goals on a consistent basis, (like Aguero, Lewandoski, Kane, Benzema, even Vardy etc..)" Ok, well we've already debunked the absolute crap you're spouting about Kane in the paragraphs above so I won't go over that again. Let's now focus on your claim he doesn't lead the line and inspire the team. Martial's hold-up play has been nothing short of superb this season. He wins so many fouls, unlike Rashford at no.9 who runs into blind alleys and loses possession. Martial has won us plenty of penalties with his quick-feet and drive. He absolutely inspires the team because he leads the press and the rest of our players follow him. He brings an abundance of energy & when the team isn't playing well he can put them on his back and score one of his thrilling solo goals as we've seen several times now. Martial also plays well when Rashford isn't playing but the same cannot be said about the vice versa, infact Rashford looks lost without Martial and that's because Martial works so hard for the team off the ball and makes the players around him better.

Finally "Martial would not improve any other big club in Europe" Well, it's a damn good job the board vetoed Mourinho's desire to sell Martial or we'd currently be watching him at another big club & we'd be bloody devastated about it too. Thank God he's our no.9.

It's time to end the agenda driven crap against Martial. Sorry if this was a bit too impassioned but I'm so sick of this lad not getting the credit he bloody well deserves. If you're going to keep talking rubbish about this player then it's about time you bring some facts to the fight.

Reactions: JPRouve

zenith

Martial has been brilliant this season. Even though he's not a traditional no. 9 but with good ability to create and dribble, he provides so much more than just goal scoring.

It can be frightening what he could do by playing alongside rashford and Sancho and with bruno being the creative force.

RedStarUnited

This thread amazes me.

Kane apart....

Benzema - 32 turning 33 in December
Lewandoski - 31 turning 32 next month
Aguero - 32
Vardy - 33

These are veteran strikers.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The thing about Martial,Rashford and Greenwood is they've been given the main platform to lead our attack for,hopefully, a considerable time and I doubt they would've gotten this chance as a forward 3 under many,many current managers. So Ole deserves credit there.
Now its up to them to continue to perform and progress.
The sky's the limit with these players.

Godfather

"average before Bruno" no doubt. Any striker in the world would look average when the opposition see you as the only attacking threat and the only supply you're reliant on is coming from Mata, Lingard & Pereira. Were you expecting Martial to pick the ball up in his own box, beat 9 players and slot it home every game? In the first half of the season, we didn't score more than 1 goal in any single game where Martial wasn't playing, even when we were crap he was the shining light for us.

"I want us to buy a top, top No 9. That is not Martial." Ok, he's the 5th highest goalscoring No.9 in the league this season with 17 goals (also 6 assists) behind only Vardy 23G 5A, Auba 22G 3A, Ings 22G 2A & Kane 18G 2A. He has played 200 less minutes than Ings, 300 less than Vardy and 400 less than Auba. Also, if you add his goals and assists then he has contributed to 23 goals, 3 more than Kane who everyone claims is a "top top no.9" & only 2 less than Auba & 1 less than Ings who we've already established played a considerable amount more minutes than him. To top it all off, let's return to the earlier point as well that we played the first half of the season without a single creative midfielder! let's no forget that Pogba was out injured until we signed Bruno.

Another key thing to consider is age. Every position on the pitch matures at a different rate, strikers don't typically hit their prime until they're past 25. Martial is 24 years old & already outperforming the next youngest No.9 I previously mentioned in Kane, who is 27 years old tomorrow. Vardy is 33, Ings is 28 & Aubameyang is 31. Do you really think he won't make up those 1 or 2 goal contributions they're ahead of him by the time he is their age? Give your head a wobble.

"He has improved, but still does not lead the line and inspire his team, score enough goals on a consistent basis, (like Aguero, Lewandoski, Kane, Benzema, even Vardy etc..)" Ok, well we've already debunked the absolute crap you're spouting about Kane in the paragraphs above so I won't go over that again. Let's now focus on your claim he doesn't lead the line and inspire the team. Martial's hold-up play has been nothing short of superb this season. He wins so many fouls, unlike Rashford at no.9 who runs into blind alleys and loses possession. Martial has won us plenty of penalties with his quick-feet and drive. He absolutely inspires the team because he leads the press and the rest of our players follow him. He brings an abundance of energy & when the team isn't playing well he can put them on his back and score one of his thrilling solo goals as we've seen several times now. Martial also plays well when Rashford isn't playing but the same cannot be said about the vice versa, infact Rashford looks lost without Martial and that's because Martial works so hard for the team off the ball and makes the players around him better.

Finally "Martial would not improve any other big club in Europe" Well, it's a damn good job the board vetoed Mourinho's desire to sell Martial or we'd currently be watching him at another big club & we'd be bloody devastated about it too. Thank God he's our no.9.

It's time to end the agenda driven crap against Martial. Sorry if this was a bit too impassioned but I'm so sick of this lad not getting the credit he bloody well deserves. If you're going to keep talking rubbish about this player then it's about time you bring some facts to the fight.
Nice one and I agree

quirkey

This. Couldn’t put it better. If Martial was playing in Italy or France etc everyone on here would be crying out for a player like him, with pace, power and fluidity.

He has proven this season that he deserves to be our no.9. Sancho would add fluidity across the front three with Martial, Greenwood and Rashford.

Reiver

Great reply.
Seeing him him in action currently, whilst we could possibly improve on him, we would have to shell out an absolute fortune. He is doing well enough to be allowed to continue and will have competition from the likes of Greenwood, so he will have to continue to put the effort in.
I would not take Kane over Martial. Maybe that's a stupid opinion but I've always felt Kane is overrated and never been that excited by the thought of him in a United shirt.
Some people need to understand it's ok to change your opinion on a player as they progress and improve, equally as they regress and decline. There have been times I would have been fine if we sold Martial. Now I'm glad we stuck with him as it looks like there's a real and consistent talent emerging.

Alemar

Excellent post. To add to it, Martial also earned us many penalties which may be added to his assists to better see true contribution.

kidbob

Yes to every bit of this. Can I just add that since the return he has played with an out of form Rashford (who he has a good connection with) who I expect to improve ten fold once he gets himself right. The nature of team sports is that it matters more about the whole than the individual but Martial has carried us at times despite the players around him not being at their best. This shows real mentality. When (and I think its inevitable) Rashford hits his usual level again and with Greenwood only going to get better then I'm confident we'll see an even better and more effective Martial than right now. I wouldn't swap him for any other player in the World especially considering his age and the fact its his first season being the main centre forward.

pacifictheme

Your first point about being our only attacking threat is strange considering Rashford was our best attacking threat before his injury.

Although I agree with the other things you wrote. Thought he was excellent yesterday, its amazing how much more rounded he is compared to a season or two ago, but then he's been backed as our main striker so maybe it's not as he's probably got more confident and has hadtg he chance to properly learn the position

As long a she keeps leading the line like he has been he should be our main striker. It's up to Mason to take the position from him in years to come, not a position we need to worry about too much that's for sure.

MadMike

If Martial was taking pens, like the other leading strikers at their clubs, he'd be competing for top scorer of the season. Especially considering how many penalties we get (18 for the season?). And he's won most of the pens too and not only he doesn't get to take them, but they don't even count as assists.

I'd like to see a table with mins per goal or assist if we exclude the pens, and see how he compares to other strikers. Bet he won't be far off the the top.

alexanderplatz

Just get somewhere and sit down mister.

Nobody is gonna straight swap them because in current market Kane is more valuable, but to our team Kane is not worth 200m because scoring goals is not a problem for us.

Pretty sure a lot of our fans if given the choice between Kane and Sancho will pick Sancho.
I’d choose Kane over Sancho but agree with all your points regarding finances and priorities being elsewhere

MichaelRed

Your first point about being our only attacking threat is strange considering Rashford was our best attacking threat before his injury.

Although I agree with the other things you wrote. Thought he was excellent yesterday, its amazing how much more rounded he is compared to a season or two ago, but then he's been backed as our main striker so maybe it's not as he's probably got more confident and has hadtg he chance to properly learn the position

As long a she keeps leading the line like he has been he should be our main striker. It's up to Mason to take the position from him in years to come, not a position we need to worry about too much that's for sure.
True for a short period considering the goals he was getting but there's more to that when it comes to attacking threat. I firmly believe Rashford was getting this joy because of Martial & that has been evidenced by how hopeless Rashford has looked whenever he has had to play without Martial. Even in that period you refer to, Martial picked up a hamstring injury and missed 5 games in which we lost 1-0 to Newcastle & 2-0 to West Ham, drew 1-1 With Arsenal and Southampton & scraped a 1-0 win against Leicester. That's 5 points from 15 with Rashford only bagging 1 goal during those 5 matches when he was otherwise getting plenty of goals before and after Martial's spell on the medical table.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This thread amazes me.

You’ve regularly shown to be clueless when it comes to Martial in this thread. The reality is you couldn’t spot his talent if it hit you in the face and won’t deserve to watch when he rightfully continues his development into one of the best strikers in the world.

MichaelRed

I’d choose Kane over Sancho but agree with all your points regarding finances and priorities being elsewhere
You'd choose a striker that doesn't fit our system and is the exact opposite to the style of football we want to play to replace our current striker who just had a more productive season than Kane over a winger that is everything Manchester United should be? Seems crazy.

reddev3

He's a man transformed, he's always been a unit but he's never used it to his advantage (probably because of the position he use to play) but now he seems to relish it and is a beast at holding up the ball and link up play. He's my player of the season for what he has done after the break, he was decent before but has been amazing since.

I also just realised that he will most probably be France's number 1 striker now, quite the turn around from nearly being sold a year ago and being completely frozen out of the national team.