Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

RedDevil@84

Modern footballer wages gets head for free attitude and won't make runs. But when you look at Ole's sulkers get kuntified what for 40 million?
French players creche the Buffon despite having the highest rate of shttheirpants in the globe. So get rid. The other option is to other option the other option.
I told me mam I said play Rashford under the bench Matic to massage the just in front of the back for ever. Fact. He's costing us points like Utd issue statement on Rachel abuse
and she absolutely loves it won't change until we sign a decent director of balls. Pallister never went clubbing but we expect Anton de la fey to bring liqorice to a weed fest.
Have a word with yourself doctor? doctor? I'm still fuming at the officials sweet sweet tights but sheer bias in Carragher's flem.
It's like Barthez when he scot got free off Mar she Al makes Bebe look like Our Defence Has It Actually Been sweet sweet tights.
:lol: :lol:
Early morning meds?

el3mel

Modern footballer wages gets head for free attitude and won't make runs. But when you look at Ole's sulkers get kuntified what for 40 million?
French players creche the Buffon despite having the highest rate of shttheirpants in the globe. So get rid. The other option is to other option the other option.
I told me mam I said play Rashford under the bench Matic to massage the just in front of the back for ever. Fact. He's costing us points like Utd issue statement on Rachel abuse
and she absolutely loves it won't change until we sign a decent director of balls. Pallister never went clubbing but we expect Anton de la fey to bring liqorice to a weed fest.
Have a word with yourself doctor? doctor? I'm still fuming at the officials sweet sweet tights but sheer bias in Carragher's flem.
It's like Barthez when he scot got free off Mar she Al makes Bebe look like Our Defence Has It Actually Been sweet sweet tights.
Agree.

Lentwood

I think had Roy Keane or Bryan Robson been at the club and seen a teammate turn in a performance like that one then punches would have been thrown.

I would hope someone like Bruno or Maguire let Martial know that that was a disgusting insult of a performance. Any player can have a bad game - Bruno for example was rank bad, but the minimum requirement is to run and to fight

Judas

Open to offers
When we move him on it'll be another Sanchez where we still have to pay some of his wages. Look we can't all slag the club off for the contract, because I expect most of us at the time thought it was a good idea, but those wages were always mad.

romufc

I cannot believe Martial has no appetite to play in this team. If you cannot get yourself up for a title challenge, then I dont think anything can get you going.

We cannot afford to have players with such weak mentalities at this club. A club looks to their strikers to produce in key moments, have the mentality.

Rooney, RVP, RNV, Cantona and even looking around, Kane, Suarez, Henry, Aguero are they sort of mentality you want.

Stacks

For the first time in my life I am going to admit I think its confidence. I used to always laugh when people blamed confidence as he looks like a calm collective un-phased dude but he isn't remotely aggressive compared to 6 months ago. Either way he is fine as a back up 9 if we had a legendary forward. basically our Origi. I'd be fine with that

Judas

Open to offers
For the first time in my life I am going to admit I think its confidence. I used to always laugh when people blamed confidence as he looks like a calm collective un-phased dude but he isn't remotely aggressive compared to 6 months ago. Either way he is fine as a back up 9 if we had a legendary forward. basically our Origi. I'd be fine with that
I gasped, but its basically true. Although I still think he's more of a winger than even a backup number 9. He's not a striker, he never has been, his movement is far too static amongst other things.

There was a point in the first half where I was just watching Martial move about the pitch, and he.....just wasn't. He was stood in the strikers position not moving at all, it was bizarre really. It was like he was glued to the pitch.

yamo123x

Im still seething after his showing in the week and over the whole season generally. Never disliked a player who plays for us so much as i do him right at this minute.

If figures reported are correct we are paying this guy 250k per week and we are seeing this sulky, lazy, gutless ineffective performances week in week out then how can anyone defend him?
Confident or not, the minimum any player who wears the shirt should be doing is putting a shift in, there is no excuse or hiding place for him.

sugar_kane

It's weird because while I think he's been shit this season, it doesn't look for me to be down to lack of effort.

It seems like overall his workrate has gone up (it was a pretty low base to start with...) and his all round game has become more varied. He's much better than Rashford and Greenwood at hold up play, and is arguably still the best with his on the ball movement.

The problem is his finishing has been diabolical, and he just looks a bit generally 'off' in terms of his sharpness.

Ole's squad management strategy seems to be to get a solid back up in every position to spur on his first teamers - nearly everyone has responded positively to this but with Martial I actually think it's made him shrink having Cavani and Greenwood to compete with, which makes me question if he will ever cut it mentally at this level.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Sell him, there's still a couple of days left in the transfer market.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think it was Neville saying that after Cavani scored his two goals against southampton, that his movement is something Martial does not have.

I think we need a new striker or move Greenwood into the strikers position and move Martial to the wing.

Flying high

Martial's performances remind me a little of Forlan's time with us. You could easily see a good striker in there, but for some reason it never seems to work out. He has nearly all the attributes, but even when he's working hard, it just never seems to fall nicely for him.

I certainly don't want to sell him though. Coming into his prime years, he may never reach top class level, but is a good player who should get plenty of games as a 2nd choice striker and rotation on the left. Who knows, maybe one day it will all fall into place for him. The comparisons with Henry are perhaps unhelpful, but Henry used his pace sparingly. He had this excellent ability to carry the ball at medium speed, then transition quickly to full speed without loss of control. That's the part you see Martial struggling with so much. He'll beat his man, but the following pass or dribble lacks composure or control.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"I have always said 99% effort is 100% failure." Solskjaer said that before the Sheffield game.

I wonder what percentile Martial is in.

Smores

I think it was Neville saying that after Cavani scored his two goals against southampton, that his movement is something Martial does not have.

I think we need a new striker or move Greenwood into the strikers position and move Martial to the wing.
I know Greenwood is still young but given just how poor Martial has been it does feel like we should be giving him time as the striker, rotated with Cavani.

Stick Martial on the right for now if need be

Judas

Open to offers
Forlan worked a million times harder than Martial, they're not even remotely similar.

Martial doesn't have the attributes top strikers have, I'm not sure he ever will.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I could swallow 2 packs of scrabble tiles and shit out a more coherent paragraph than this.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

Mart1974

Problem we have is Martial and Rashford can't play right wing. Greenwood is the best RW at the club but he would be more effective central. I think Cavani could do a job on the right.

Mart1974

I'm not usually one to read too much into stats on their own, but that is pretty horrific reading.
I think Greenwood, Rashford and Martial are all struggling with niggling injuries at the moment.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I think Greenwood, Rashford and Martial are all struggling with niggling injuries at the moment.
Based on their performances against Sheffield United I think those 'niggling injuries' must be ruptured hamstrings!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think he has the Lingard disease as well where he prefers what football affords him rather than football itself. He is on what, perhaps 200k a week. I dont think he quite has the discipline to become a top top player.

Shift him out to the wing though. Hopefully Ole does not use him as a striker again.

romufc

Its worrying to see that a player who has only started a handful of games, on top of the running charts, at the age of 34.

Then, having Rashford on there who doesn't play as a CF. If I was Ole, I would be asking big questions about Martial at this moment.

You cannot be off form this badly and not try, its not on.

This might be the final straw for fans. There was always a divide over Martial anyway, this might have pushed the 50/50 fans towards he is not good enough.

I do not want to see him in the matchday squad after his antics against SU. No United player can get away with it, like Ole said they let Ronaldo cheat on some occassions because he was producing 30 goals a season.

Martial is doing nothing of the sort. He cannot pass the ball either anymore.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So glad I opened this thread

hobbers

Any idea when this might become a reality
Probably years away. No chance of us signing two top forward players in the same window. No chance of any team coming in for Martial when he's on roughly 2x the wages most clubs would value him at.

croadyman

Probably years away. No chance of us signing two top forward players in the same window. No chance of any team coming in for Martial when he's on roughly 2x the wages most clubs would value him at.
Yeah the wages are clearly going to scare off the suitors

romufc

For the first time in my life I am going to admit I think its confidence. I used to always laugh when people blamed confidence as he looks like a calm collective un-phased dude but he isn't remotely aggressive compared to 6 months ago
Confidence can be an issue on the ball, dribbling, taking extra touch, I get that. But no one can tell me that lack of effort is down to confidence. It does not take confidence to run back and chase the opponent down when you lose the ball.

croadyman

Confidence can be an issue on the ball, dribbling, taking extra touch, I get that. But no one can tell me that lack of effort is down to confidence. It does not take confidence to run back and chase the opponent down when you lose the ball.
Yeah work ethic should be an absolute given no matter what the ability of a player

sokol11

Yeah work ethic should be an absolute given no matter what the ability of a player
Exacly. You can get away wih the lack of defensive duties if you are Ronaldo or Messi and you repay that with offensive output. But having offensive output of loosing the balls that cost us goals he should work like an animal in defense not strolling around.

edgecutter

5 goals in 25 apperances as a striker for a big club tells the story. I just don't think he is good enough to be relied upon for goals.

Stacks

It can sap your energy too. Make you feel like you can't be bothered. it can prevent you wanted to get on the ball due to lack of belief. I could be wrong in his case though so I won't pretend that its definitely that

romufc

It can sap your energy too. Make you feel like you can't be bothered. it can prevent you wanted to get on the ball due to lack of belief. I could be wrong in his case though so I won't pretend that its definitely that
Yes, it can make you hide from getting the ball and the belief. The one thing that I have seen players out of form and confidence do it continue to try.

Tracking someone back, running with intensity cannot be put down to confidence IMO. I have seen alot of players lack confidence at United but none of them suffered lack of effort. Once you stop trying, the fans will get on your back which is exactly what is happening with Martial

Until Wednesday, we saw everyone say Martial will be fine, he is doing other parts of the game well just not scoring. However; when you see what he did on Wednesday, all excuses go out of the window.

Stacks

Yes, it can make you hide from getting the ball and the belief. The one thing that I have seen players out of form and confidence do it continue to try.

Tracking someone back, running with intensity cannot be put down to confidence IMO. I have seen alot of players lack confidence at United but none of them suffered lack of effort. Once you stop trying, the fans will get on your back which is exactly what is happening with Martial

Until Wednesday, we saw everyone say Martial will be fine, he is doing other parts of the game well just not scoring. However; when you see what he did on Wednesday, all excuses go out of the window.
I can accept either one. Could Martial just be lazy? definitely. Maybe last season when he wanted to prove he can play 9 he was going above and beyond. who knows