Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

Handré1990

50 million down the drain. Martial for me is a typical Arsenal standard player. Plenty of talent, but absolutely no fight in him. The type who Wenger would have signed and Fergie steered well clear of.
Starting to look pretty accurate actually, but I hope it’s not the case. Don’t know about the fifty million down the drains though, he’s given me a lot of great moments in our shirt. It just doesn’t work for him anymore, or he doesn’t work anymore, whatever.

cyril C

Starting to look pretty accurate actually, but I hope it’s not the case. Don’t know about the fifty million down the drains though, he’s given me a lot of great moments in our shirt. It just doesn’t work for him anymore, or he doesn’t work anymore, whatever.
Agree. Unless we lose him for free, Martial will still return some value, although might be at a loss. Let's say we only get 20m for him, he still earns us 20+ goals a season for a few seasons, not a total loss. Sanchez was.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Agree. Unless we lose him for free, Martial will still return some value, although might be at a loss. Let's say we only get 20m for him, he still earns us 20+ goals a season for a few seasons, not a total loss. Sanchez was.
Opportunity cost though. Although hard to quantify.

20 goals a season is ok if you look at it from vs. Nothing perspective. But if we dont have martial and have cavani instead? We never known what where we could have headed. We could finished 2nd or win an fa cup and go futher from there.

That comes at a heavy prices.

Moyes didnt cause us monetary loss from his signing but his 10 months tenure does a very detrimental long term effect

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm more sympathetic to him in that he kind-of got dicked around with the Cavani signing. I'm not going to cry with him about it because at his age and where his career is at and his (lets be honest, absolutely fecking ridiculous) wage, but I think it is a genuine aspect of why he hasn't had a good season. Football moves at breakneck speed today and there should be no time to cry about it if you want to play for a club like United.
"Dicked around?" There's no way a club like Man Utd can afford to risk going into a season with only 2 players who can play strikers, one of whom is actually a starter on the left side of midfield.

If he's gonna sulk and drop his levels everytime players who play his position are brought in, then he's not going to be a good fit at the club.

Look at how Shaw responded to competition. That's the kind of reaction we should be getting.

BR7

Hoddle also said disabled people did something wrong in a previous life.

Andy Cole is the 3rd all time league scorer with 187 goals, not a single penalty either. What ever you think of Cole it's ridiculous to compare Martial to him in any sense. We'd walk this league with Andy Cole up front.
That was my point bro, I was living in the NEast when we signed him. His transfer caused absolute pandemonium in Geordie land. Great striker if AM had his finishing you’re right we’d be right bang n there.
I was merely pointing out hoddle the donkey should have said it about AM not coley. Love Andy Cole sorry if the impression was I didn’t.

ThreeCorners

50 million down the drain. Martial for me is a typical Arsenal standard player. Plenty of talent, but absolutely no fight in him. The type who Wenger would have signed and Fergie steered well clear of.
Not sure it's £50m. Was reading that there were three conditions, goals, international caps and ballon dor, by June 2019 or something. Think we only paid out on goals clause. Still a lot of money though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd like to see him play up top with Cavani at times. We saw away to Everton in the cup where he created the goal for Cavani they are capable of playing together.

I think the rest of the season will be very important for Martial, he's on thin ice at present.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
"Dicked around?" There's no way a club like Man Utd can afford to risk going into a season with only 2 players who can play strikers, one of whom is actually a starter on the left side of midfield.

If he's gonna sulk and drop his levels everytime players who play his position are brought in, then he's not going to be a good fit at the club.

Look at how Shaw responded to competition. That's the kind of reaction we should be getting.
As I reinforced, I agree with that sentiment completely. But if you look at it from his angle he did get disked around. The club could have brought in another player at around his level or slightly below. Not an esteemed veteran. I'm only playing devils advocate and trying to present a counter argument to the situation. I completely believe that a United striker should do exactly what you've described and play up to the level not down.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
As I reinforced, I agree with that sentiment completely. But if you look at it from his angle he did get disked around. The club could have brought in another player at around his level or slightly below. Not an esteemed veteran. I'm only playing devils advocate and trying to present a counter argument to the situation. I completely believe that a United striker should do exactly what you've described and play up to the level not down.
But bringing in a veteran is the perfect thing to do for him. Someone he can learn from, someone who won't be relied on to play all our games. Also means in a couple of years time, that veteran would've retired and whoever one of the younger strikers would actually be able to step up and be relied on.

Fitchett

Not sure it's £50m. Was reading that there were three conditions, goals, international caps and ballon dor, by June 2019 or something. Think we only paid
Yes, I was sarcastically repeating the Martial chant at Old Trafford. We've obviously had service out of him, that £50m sum included add ons which he won't achieve and we should recoup some transfer fee, when we sell him, unless we allow him to run down his contract and leave on a free.

thesheriffjw

I really do not know what ogs sees in martial?

He is one of the most irritating players utd have had for some time

He is a waste of a team player and ole needs to cut his losses and get rid asap

Swedish_Plumber

Doesn’t move. Gets the ball with his back to goal on the half way line the majority of his touches. Therefore I do not know what he brings to the team as a CF on current form. Sad state of affairs for someone so talented!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Dude, it was a meaningless match. Perfect time to play Martial is in these games now.

RUCK4444

He’s done well tonight, made sure he didn’t injure himself by exerting himself.

Tony knows how to manage his body
LAZY FECKIN CNUT!!

galwayfa

He has ability we seen it at various times, to be a utd player he has to be more consistent, irritating is a good word, I definitely think he's not good enough to be our number 9, but he'll go somewhere and produce same, and when he does he will say why didn't we keep him, he needs to go and free up keeping cavani and buying another striker

el3mel

He has ability we seen it at various times, to be a utd player he has to be more consistent, irritating is a good word, I definitely think he's not good enough to be our number 9, but he'll go somewhere and produce same, and when he does he will say why didn't we keep him, he needs to go and free up keeping cavani and buying another striker
He has been consistent this season though. Consistently shit.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Numerous times James cut in expecting Martial to move into space,like a proper forward would, yet he was stood there like a statue.
It got pretty funny in the end.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This entire game has been some singular, gruelling exercise in our season long experiment in attempting to play Martial back into some semblance of first team form, and a connection with these players... there was literally no point in brining on Rashford, unless it was to force some muscle memory connection between them - and it has failed yet again..

I feel tangibly older for having watched it.

ShinjiNinja26

Poor. I dunno how he can go from having his best ever season at the club and look like he may cement himself as our no. 9 for years to come to looking absolutely terrible and play his worst football since joining the club. Mind boggling. :houllier:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Slows things down. Just poor mentality outshadowing decent skills he still possess, hopefully.

SER19

He's performing absolutely dreadfully. Close to zero out of ten rate

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Bet he's that kind of kid when young other kids stole toys and he didn't mind, didn't even care, didn't notice. What a nothing player. His movement is like Berba's without poaching skills and overal ability. Need a striker seriously. Let Amad, Greenwood, Pelistri fight that right hand side and buy Haaland.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His heart is not in it. It's a write-off season for him and he's not even trying at this point.

Weak mentality, wasting so much talent.

el3mel

How many goals are we expecting him to finish the season on by the way ?

Currently 4 in the league and 7 total in 32 fecking games.

I'll bet on 8 in the league and 15 total by the end of the season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I have no expectations from him. One bad game vs Spurs at the beginning of the season and he still can't rebuild himself from that.

I just stopped waiting on some of our players to remind themselves for what club they're playing. Pathetic attitude still flooding the club, even after getting rid of Lukaku and Sanchez.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
But bringing in a veteran is the perfect thing to do for him. Someone he can learn from, someone who won't be relied on to play all our games. Also means in a couple of years time, that veteran would've retired and whoever one of the younger strikers would actually be able to step up and be relied on.
In theory, but is there any evidence to suggest that? Considering what has happened? But again, I agree with you.

Redlyn

Currently 4 in the league and 7 total in 32 fecking games.

I'll bet on 8 in the league and 15 total by the end of the season.
So double his tally with a third of the season left. It's a chore having to watch him.

tenpoless

Stats since 2015/2016
Giroud : 49 PL goals
Martial : 55 PL goals

They both have 4 PL goals this season. Also, Giroud from 2012/13 to 2016/17 consistently scored 10+ PL goals. He banged in more goals than Martial in his first 5 seasons, the younger version of Giroud.

One is supposed to be the at the end of his PL career, living off as a meme legend of the past. While the other is supposed to be at the top of his playing career. It's not looking great is it? I mean you would not rate Giroud as an exceptionally talented would you..? Martial on the other hand looked like he had all the talents. It's a shame how this all plays out. We cannot rely on Martial as a long term goal scorer, not our main goal scorer at least.

Unless if we're only aiming to only be a Top 2-4 team. It might suffice.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I wouldnt mind if he put in some effort and just wasnt getting goals, if he made decent runs or got himself into decent goal scoring positions and it just wasn't happening for him or just not going in. But he really is just a shadow of a player, He needs to go.

Mindhunter

Numerous times James cut in expecting Martial to move into space,like a proper forward would, yet he was stood there like a statue.
It got pretty funny in the end.
Yeah he tends to do that because he is more confident shooting from just inside the box that fighting for a cross. His default reaction is to stay back for a pull back. I find that extremely frustrating. He is just playing for himself and not the team.

lex talionis

It’s not hard to imagine Martial scoring one more goal this season, maybe two. Three, well, that’s a bridge too far.

hobbers

At the start of the season you'd not find a single Arsenal or United fan who would have said Pepe will have a better season than Martial.

Well, there you go.

Waynne

I have no expectations from him. One bad game vs Spurs at the beginning of the season and he still can't rebuild himself from that.

I just stopped waiting on some of our players to remind themselves for what club they're playing. Pathetic attitude still flooding the club, even after getting rid of Lukaku and Sanchez.
Stark contrast to the great sides Sir Alex built. Those teams were composed of players with mental strength and you had them all over the pitch, not just one or two key positions.