Has political correctness actually gone mad?

NotThatSoph

I mean, it's true. It's also true for basically all pubs in the world, but that's neither here nor there. It's probably less true for un-woke pubs, if that's a word or a concept. Pretty sure close to 100 % of the fights I've been involved with were because of un-woke heads.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I mean, it's true. It's also true for basically all pubs in the world, but that's neither here nor there. It's probably less true for un-woke pubs, if that's a word or a concept. Pretty sure close to 100 % of the fights I've been involved with were because of un-woke heads.
It's a curious role reversal when it's the olds trying to whisper naughty words to each other so the youngsters can't hear.

NotThatSoph

It's a curious role reversal when it's the olds trying to whisper naughty words to each other so the youngsters can't hear.
I think that's always been a thing, it's just that now the old people got Facebook, Daily Mail and Redcafe to say it publicly. Tweens and olds have a lot in common.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
WOKE / SJW the gestapo of the 21st century

They probably don't pull your nails out from a basement like the Gestapo, but you sure are doomed if you're on their cross hair. All it takes is say the wrong words and you're done.

NotThatSoph

Top quality banter! :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-54107329

Original video below... go to 0:22
It was an unsigned complaint, CNN tried to find out who from but couldn't. NPR found one, and her view is just that it lacked tact. The professor was not reprimanded in any way, but the university chose to offer a bland corporate apology and the professor chose to stop teaching that specific class.

It's a nothing story, completely media created, that outraged people on Twitter and Redcafe can now wank themselves silly over while lamenting political correctness.

MadMike

It was an unsigned complaint, CNN tried to find out who from but couldn't. NPR found one, and her view is just that it lacked tact. The professor was not reprimanded in any way, but the university chose to offer a bland corporate apology and the professor chose to stop teaching that specific class.

It's a nothing story, completely media created, that outraged people on Twitter and Redcafe can now wank themselves silly over while lamenting political correctness.
How did it "lack tact" to contextually use the Chinese word for "that" in a Chinese language class? Also the actual words used in the letter of complaint according to CNN were "offended all of the Black members of our class". Not merely that he lacked tact. I would also step down from teaching if the university chose to defend the complainant(s) and issue an apology calling it a "disturbing episode", instead of dismissing the complaints as ungrounded.

It should be a non-story really but it isn't, because universities are so cowed that they will immediately apologise for any complaint on the grounds of political incorrectness. Whether there's merit in the complaint or not.

I'm pro political correctness and I think overall it's done far more good than any harm. But there are cases when institutions obviously step over the line in their interpretation of PC and this is one of them. I prefer to call those out, same as I prefer to call out the idiots that are abusing free speech to be intentionally offensive. Because ultimately it harms the actual cause and becomes a rallying cry for those who claim that PC has gone mad and "we should go back to the good days".

I think the Black China Caucus put it well when they said:
The BCC is shocked by how USC mishandled this situation. Not only would a quick Mandarin lesson reveal that "nèi ge" is a common pronoun, but USC's reaction cheapens and degrades substantive conversations surrounding real DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) challenges on college campuses!
I don't think dismissing as "a nothing story, completely media created" is the right call in my opinion.

Sweet Square

Well we all know capitalism is the bestest!
Even if we ignore the capitalism bit, the last point
a failure to condemn illegal activities done in their name or in support of their cause, particularly violent actions against people or property
makes it impossible to teach any sort of revolution or liberation history. You couldn't talk about the French revolution with these sorts of rules. Very bizarre stuff.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

makes it impossible to teach any sort of revolution or liberation history. You couldn't talk about the French revolution with these sorts of rules. Very bizarre stuff.
Well you could technically still teach it, you'd just have to constantly remind the students that it was wrong to do it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You know what. It is bizarre. But isn’t this just people over-thinking stuff? The guidelines are obviously well-intentioned. Schools need to be careful about the resources they use with their students. Don’t use anything that is obviously extremist/dodgy. They’ve made a bollox of defining extremist/dodgy but that definition doesn’t need to be flawless to be fit for purpose. 99% of people who read that will get the gist of what they’re saying. Schools clearly won’t stop teaching Das Kapital or books about the French Revolution as a result.

Sweet Square

You know what. It is bizarre. But isn’t this just people over-thinking stuff? The guidelines are obviously well-intentioned. .
Wait what !? You started this PC gone mad thread over an article about college campuses(And post regularly about the negative effects of well intentioned progressives )but you're completely fine with these government issued guidelines ?

I'm sure I've seen this arc before!

Tbh I did have a more detailed response(The idea the Tories are "obviously well-intentioned" on free expression is very misguided) but I'm guessing you're mostly taking the piss.

Schools clearly won’t stop teaching Das Kapital or books about the French Revolution as a result.
Well yeah I was just saying anyone following these guidelines would find it impossible to teach history but thankfully British teachers are far smarter than the current Tory government and will just ignore the advice.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Bobby Sands, Nelson Mandela, Stokely Carmichael, Jeremy Corbyn, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton, The Black Panthers, Angela Davis, The Sobibor Uprising, Karl Marx, Nat Turner, Etienne La Bowtie*, Oliver Cromwell, Martin Luther, Jesus Christ, Socrates, Judith, ,,.....

All these great minds and movements go on the Tory bonfire. It's fine, just guidelines, let Cummings at your kids.

*Chrome spellcheck. Kurzweil was put in charge of google "machine learning and language processing" in 2012. Figures.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Wait what !? You started this PC gone mad thread over an article about college campuses(And post regularly about the negative effects of well intentioned progressives )but you're completely fine with these government issued guidelines ?

I'm sure I've seen this arc before!

Tbh I did have a more detailed response(The idea the Tories are "obviously well-intentioned" on free expression is very misguided) but I'm guessing you're mostly taking the piss.

Well yeah I was just saying anyone following these guidelines would find it impossible to teach history but thankfully British teachers are far smarter than the current Tory government and will just ignore the advice.
Well, exactly. It’s the negative consequences that interest me. When someone kick off a campaign against something/someone with good intentions but downstream consequences see others being publically shamed, or losing their jobs when they don’t deserve it.

I’m not sure a poorly phrased guideline that we both agree will be ignored by its intended audience is worth getting worked up about. It’s not even telling them what they can and can’t teach about. Just to be careful about using resources produced by what they perceive as extremist groups as part of that teaching.

Mind you, people looking for offence when no malice was intended and getting angry about this on social media probably does make the cut :angel:

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Well, exactly. It’s the negative consequences that interest me. When someone kick off a campaign against something/someone with good intentions but downstream consequences see others being publically shamed, or losing their jobs when they don’t deserve it.

I’m not sure a poorly phrased guideline that we both agree will be ignored by its intended audience is worth getting worked up about. It’s not even telling them what they can and can’t teach about. Just to be careful about using resources produced by what they perceive as extremist groups as part of that teaching.

Mind you, people looking for offence when no malice was intended and getting angry about this on social media probably does make the cut :angel:
Oh right you're just annoyed by blue haired people online.

Sweet Square

Nothing to see here folks, just some poorly phrased and obviously well-intentioned comments from the potential incoming head of OFCOM.

Anyways onto to real issues, did anyone see that Trans twitter account complaining about the lack of non binary representation in subbuteo!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Nothing to see here folks, just some poorly phrased and obviously well-intentioned comments from the potential incoming head of OFCOM.

Anyways onto to real issues, did anyone see that Trans twitter account complaining about the lack of non binary representation in subbuteo!
Cultural Marxism from the BBC :lol:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Are you trying to use this thread for some sort of catch-all, Tory bashing news service? Cause that’s ok with me. I’m terrible for taking threads off on tangents, so won’t be quick to judge anyone else for doing the same. Plus the Tory party can go feck itself. So fill your boots.

This tweet does seem very off topic, though. Goes without saying that Dacre is a tool and would be a terrible appointment for the head of OFCOM (based on what little I know about him) . How is that related to the theme of the thread?:confused:

Sweet Square

This tweet does seem very off topic, though. Goes without saying that Dacre is a tool and would be a terrible appointment for the head of OFCOM (based on what little I know about him) . How is that related to the theme of the thread?:confused:
https://www.redcafe.net/search/232844/?q=Cultural+Marxism&t=post&c[thread]=404570&o=relevance

Also I posted it to show you're idea of the obviously well-intentioned mix up is well sort of bollocks(But we've already gone over that.)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Someone should tell Wes from Stafford that he could be making a buck impersonating Jason Statham.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.