Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Drainy

I'm amazed that the pubs name took so long for them to change.

Even if the origin is innocent it sounds horrible in context of modern use of language

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Nothing sensitive about it. It's straight up offensive. As @calodo2003 says it's the black part which really does it.

The main use of bitch now is as a performative term and that's the first meaning most would think of. I think it's actually a bit odd these days to hear someone call a dog by that term.

I know it's a very old pub called after a dog but very few people are going to see or hear that name and think oh it must be innocently named after a dog.
When there is literally a huge dog on the building? Even when you hear it then you might think that’s strange and when you find out the origin surely you realize it isn’t actually offensive?

Easy to name it the black hound or something and it doesn’t matter to me but seems extremely sensitive to be offended by such a name. That’s all.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I'm shocked.

So, what happened? How did you figure out what people call their female dogs? (This might sound weird, but in my neck of the woods people usually use the name of the dog.)
You can just google things and then see people use the word bitch when they talk about female dogs. It isn’t that hard actually.

I never said that people use it to call their dogs or stuff like that. ‘Hey bitch run after this stick’ or something like that.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
When there is literally a huge dog on the building? Even when you hear it then you might think that’s strange and when you find out the origin surely you realize it isn’t actually offensive?

Easy to name it the black hound or something and it doesn’t matter to me but seems extremely sensitive to be offended by such a name. That’s all.
Language changes, the meaning of some expressions change. The expression "black bitch" obviously means something and is interpreted by people differently than it was 150 years ago. I can't see how you can tell a black woman, for example, who perhaps has been called that that she's just being sensitive about it and she shouldn't care that expression is in big letter on a wall at the centre of town.

hobbers

So almost nobody would know that a bitch is a female dog? In that case I can understand it somehow. Still think you have to be extremely sensitive to get offended by it. I thought it was common knowledge. In Dutch the word ‘teef’ is still commonly used.
Maybe not the sort who are always on twitter looking for things to be offended by, probably not something that would have come up in their sociology degree.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Language changes, the meaning of some expressions change. The expression "black bitch" obviously means something and is interpreted by people differently than it was 150 years ago. I can't see how you can tell a black woman, for example, who perhaps has been called that that she's just being sensitive about it and she shouldn't care that expression is in big letter on a wall at the centre of town.
But when it’s clear that that meaning isn’t the one the pub is expressing which is obvious then surely it isn’t offensive anymore?

NotThatSoph

You can find out a lot by googling things, yes. Are you arguing against that?
No. As I said, I found out that Chinese people are called chinks. I also found out that trans people are called troons, and that liberals are called soy boys. I also found out what the n-word means.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
No. As I said, I found out that Chinese people are called chinks. I also found out that trans people are called troons, and that liberals are called soy boys. I also found out what the n-word means.
You are really strange.

NotThatSoph

You didn't know before you Googled it?
Of course, just like @Eendracht maakt macht knew perfectly well that bitch technically means female dog. He didn't find out that people normally use it as a term for female dog, though, which is my point, he's using a technical and practically archaic definition and pretending that he figured something out by using Google.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Of course, just like @Eendracht maakt macht knew perfectly well that bitch technically means female dog. He didn't find out that people normally use it as a term for female dog, though, which is my point, he's using a technical and practically archaic definition and pretending that he figured something out by using Google.
Or you can use google in a smart way. Also I didn’t pretend I found out anything. I already knew a bitch was a female dog. Everybody in the Netherlands does.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Speaking of meanings, is "bum me a fag" still an acceptable way to ask for a cigarette?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The oldest pub in England is called the cock isn’t it? That’s another word with a meaning which has become overtaken by something else.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
What if one just saw it in text form? Would one automatically go right to a description of a dog?

It’s probably best to just change the name.
I couldn’t care less if they changed the name. Just seems like it’s extremely sensitive to be offended by it.

When you see the name and you are at first offended by it, which is possible and then you find out the origin then you go ‘oh nothing to see here, let’s move on’ I’d assume.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I couldn’t care less if they changed the name. Just seems like it’s extremely sensitive to be offended by it.

When you see the name and you are at first offended by it, which is possible and then you find out the origin then you go ‘oh nothing to see here, let’s move on’ I’d assume.
Walking by the restaurant, I can get what you’re saying.

But voluminous amounts more people will read it & potentially be offended.

Best just to change the name.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So almost nobody would know that a bitch is a female dog? In that case I can understand it somehow. Still think you have to be extremely sensitive to get offended by it. I thought it was common knowledge. In Dutch the word ‘teef’ is still commonly used.
They might know but in the common vernacular it's more of an insult towards women. English is a unique language because we don't often have gender based nominative case.

Though to be fair, pubs are often named after animals and black ones especially.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
OK, but do you not accept that expression will immediately make many people think about an abusive expression some use to offend black people?
Yes, I already said that a couple of times but when you find out the real reason and you know it’s not meant offensive in any way surely the ‘hurt’ will quickly go away. I’d even think most people will even laugh about their first assumption then.

Surely this doesn’t leave some scar in peoples live are something like that. As I said as far is I’m concerned they change the name I just don’t believe this name impacts anyone negatively in any significant way.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, I already said that a couple of times but when you find out the real reason and you know it’s not meant offensive in any way surely the ‘hurt’ will quickly go away. I’d even think most people will even laugh about their first assumption then.

Surely this doesn’t leave some scar in peoples live are something like that. As I said as far is I’m concerned they change the name I just don’t believe this name impacts anyone negatively in any significant way.
You say "when you find the real reason", but if you're just browsing online or checking a quick tourism guide or whatever... how many people will go to the work of finding the origins of the name? Not many I'd say.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
You say "when you find the real reason", but if you're just browsing online or checking a quick tourism guide or whatever... how many people will go to the work of finding the origins of the name? Not many I'd say.
If I was offended, really actually offended by a name of something. I would want to find out what's going on.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
OK, I think you're just being stubborn to be honest.
No I really just can't see how the name of this pub negatively impacts someone's life in any significant way. It doesn't effect my life in anyway neither so I'm fine with whatever name they choose. They can call it Eendracht Maakt Macht is a cnut as far as I'm concerned.