Has political correctness actually gone mad?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
No I really just can't see how the name of this pub negatively impacts someone's life in any significant way. It doesn't effect my life in anyway neither so I'm fine with whatever name they choose. They can call it Eendracht Maakt Macht is a cnut as far as I'm concerned.
So you'd be ok with "the faggot pub" because 200 years ago it was founded by a bloke who loved carrying bundles of sticks? I mean c'mon.

hobbers

Let's be real, there's not a single native English speaker who would see a pub called the black bitch and think it's talking about anything other than a dog.

Even without the picture of the black dog in the sign and the statue in the park nearby.

Fingeredmouse

Let's be real, there's not a single native English speaker who would see a pub called the black bitch and think it's talking about anything other than a dog.

Even without the picture of the black dog in the sign and the statue in the park nearby.
You'd a raise a fecking eyebrow though, eh?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
So you'd be ok with "the faggot pub" because 200 years ago it was founded by a bloke who loved carrying bundles of sticks? I mean c'mon.
Depends on the circumstances. As you've put it now. No. As hobbers said if you see the pub you think it's about the dog right? That isn't the case with faggot I think.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Depends on the circumstances. As you've put it now. No. As hobbers said if you see the pub you think it's about the dog right? That isn't the case with faggot I think.
I gave my harry potter example, I didn't know a bitch was a female dog until my mid-20s, so if I had visited that town at that age I wouldn't have made the connection.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Doubt that's true to be honest. I think most people would automatically go between absurdity and having a small giggle and it's not because they're thinking about a dog.

Language evolves, I don't think I have ever in my life said the word "bitch" in reference to a dog.

Tarrou

but like-wise, there wouldn't be many that wouldn't cringe a little bit when they first see it..

and then there'd be non-native speakers who get confused af

there was a cheese called 'coon' in Australia and I'm pretty sure nobody thought it was named after the racial slur, but they still changed it because yeah why wouldn't you change that

hobbers

Doubt that's true to be honest. I think most people would automatically go between absurdity and having a small giggle and it's not because they're thinking about a dog.

Language evolves, I don't think I have ever in my life said the word "bitch" in reference to a dog.
It hasn't evolved that fast. The dictionary definition of bitch is still a female dog. And the word as used as a verb is more common than as a noun.

Which isn't the case with a word like faggot. Where the definition is a slur for a gay man, and the old definition listed as archaic.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It hasn't evolved that fast. The dictionary definition of bitch is still a female dog. And the word as used as a verb is more common than as a noun.

Which isn't the case with a word like faggot. Where the definition is a slur for a gay man, and the old definition listed as archaic.
The dictionary definition for it as a noun is a female dog but if you say it's used more as a verb and that has pretty much taken over what people think of when they see the word.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Don’t know what your on about. Would a vet use the term bitch?
No. No vet (or dog groomer or that matter) that I ever encountered ever called our female dog a "bitch.'" It's simply not used that way in English anymore and has not been for over 40-50 years. It is, however, quite frequently used as an insult and derogatory term, so it's hardly overly sensitive or "PC gone mad" to change the name of the pub given the qualifier of "black" in front of it which adds to the offensiveness.

Fingeredmouse

Definitely used more as a verb than as a way to refer to a female dog these days though.
Is "to bitch about someone" more common than calling someone a bitch or a son of a bitch? Maybe. I'd use the former potentially but never the latter unless quoting Aliens or pretending to be a cowboy. Nonetheless: both are negative and not descriptors for female dogs.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Is it called ‘The Black Cock?’

To me, ‘black’ is equally the issue in the article above.
There are a few- https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...lack_Cock_Inn-South_Molton_Devon_England.html

There is a pub called 'Ye Olde Black Boy' in Hull's old town and some moaned when it changed it's sign from a black kid to something more neutral.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/old-black-boy-pub-hull-3402969

Pub names that have not aged well are a very weird thing to try and cling on to.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Judging by the fact that you posted the story in the first place and your number of messages since it looks like you could actually care less, tbh.
I don’t care about the name but I do find it strange people are this easily offended.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I would definitely think, Hehe that name aged poorly, when walking past that pub, even if the owners originally meant a dog. Society was somewhat different 350 years ago anyway, I've read.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Duafc

Village Lemon
Country/farming folk here would say bitch in reference to a female dog, similarly i’ve found people who sport/hunt their dogs would be likely to also. I’m sure they’ve heard it all their lives and to them it’s the most natural use of the word

Anytime anyone’s ever said it to me in person i’ve thought why on earth would anyone still use that term when you can say female… girl… female dog etc. And I immediately think less of them as humans.

@Eyepopper bound to be a bitch user.

Shit name for a pub and even more shit reason for another tragic argument between resident culture war proponents hobbers/german guy/Soph.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Country/farming folk here would say bitch in reference to a female dog, similarly i’ve found people who sport/hunt their dogs would be likely to also. I’m sure they’ve heard it all their lives and to them it’s the most natural use of the word

Anytime anyone’s ever said it to me in person i’ve thought why on earth would anyone still use that term when you can say female… girl… female dog etc. And I immediately think less of them as humans.

@Eyepopper bound to be a bitch user.
100%

I'm actually shocked that there's any level or controversy over it at all.

I've 2 dogs, a dog and a bitch.

I'll be getting a new dog next year and I'll be getting another bitch.

I also have a hoe locked in my shed, but that's a different matter.

sully07

Good publicity for the pub.

But it's just a pub name so change it if it offends anyone, life is too short.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I used to volunteer at an animal shelter mainly for dogs and we'd talk about bitches all day long.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There are a few- https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...lack_Cock_Inn-South_Molton_Devon_England.html

There is a pub called 'Ye Olde Black Boy' in Hull's old town and some moaned when it changed it's sign from a black kid to something more neutral.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/old-black-boy-pub-hull-3402969

Pub names that have not aged well are a very weird thing to try and cling on to.
Yeah I found this line pretty funny

This has gone too far now and needs to be stopped. - Bruce Garder

There was actually a pub I'd been to before called Y bachgen du (the black boy), I think it still has the same name and sign

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah I found this line pretty funny

There was actually a pub I'd been to before called Y bachgen du (the black boy), I think it still has the same name and sign

I missed this. I actually had a succesful date that ended in Ye Olde Black Boy, so I have a fondish memory of the place, if not the name so much.

That Welsh sign really looks like someone I know from my industry but in blackface.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is tooooooo good.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Slut used to mean a messy person like you could say "you're a dirty little slutty aren't you?" and that was fine.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A Florida House committee on Thursday passed a bill seeking to ban discussions of sexuality and gender identity in school classrooms, which LGBTQ+ advocates say will effectively “erase” LGBTQ+ history, culture, and students.

The Parental Rights in Education bill, also known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, passed Thursday in the House Education and Employment Committee largely along party lines.

“This bill is about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent,” Florida state Rep. Joe Harding (R), who first introduced the bill, said Thursday. “That job can only be given to you by above.”

Harding’s bill, along with its companion bill introduced Tuesday by Florida state Sen. Dennis Baxley (R), would block teachers in Florida from talking about LGBTQ+ topics that are not “age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students.”

According to the bill, parents may take legal action against their child’s school district and be awarded damages if they believe any of its policies infringe on their “fundamental right to make decisions regarding the upbringing and control of their children.”
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...committee-in-florida-passes-dont-say-gay-bill