Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I wonder if he has similar feelings about having played Forrest Gump.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Thoughts on this?

Presumably, by equal measure, gay guys should no longer be accepting straight roles or something?

Serial killer movies to become a thing of the past due to the inavailabilty of actors with multiple murder convictions.
He has a point that it was seen as a real eye-opener for a straight guy to play a gay role like that and for a gay character to be the lead in a big film. I remember reading a piece about how Hanks and Sean Penn got oscars, Brokeback Mountain won big and some others got nominations for their 'brave' choice. More recently no-one gets nominated purely for playing a gay person.

I don't agree with only gay actors can play gay roles and presumably straight actors play straight roles though.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think it's a non-problem. I'm fine with straight actors playing a gay role. Hanks was very good in that movie, why would it be 'wrong' to replicate that today?
The biggest travesty is how British actors are allowed to fake an accent and play Americans.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
The thing is though, the heterosexual story is one we know, childhood teen, adult, marriage, kids.

It's been in every story since we started telling stories. So basically a gay actor knows the trials and tribulations of growing up straight and acting it.

However, the gay or trans or disabled stories are told far less, so less information is available, and what is out there is so little that it becomes stereotypes.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Thoughts on this?

Presumably, by equal measure, gay guys should no longer be accepting straight roles or something?

Serial killer movies to become a thing of the past due to the inavailabilty of actors with multiple murder convictions.
No it would be fine that way round.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
My main issue with the idea only queer people should play queer roles is that it requires anyone playing one to be out. It's not good to demand people publicly declare they are gay/trans etc.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
My main issue with the idea only queer people should play queer roles is that it requires anyone playing one to be out. It's not good to demand people publicly declare they are gay/trans etc.
Most likely only the publicly known gay actors would audition.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Thoughts on this? Presumably, by equal measure, gay guys should no longer be accepting straight roles or something?
These kind of contradictions arise from trying to combine 'representation as a labor issue' and 'representation as an artistic expression issue.'

entropy

The thing is though, the heterosexual story is one we know, childhood teen, adult, marriage, kids.

It's been in every story since we started telling stories. So basically a gay actor knows the trials and tribulations of growing up straight and acting it.

However, the gay or trans or disabled stories are told far less, so less information is available, and what is out there is so little that it becomes stereotypes.
well said. it leads to fetishization and terrible stereotypes that only cause more harm

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thoughts on this?

Fecking stupid idea. Exactly the sort of nonsense that prompted the question in the thread title. Apart from anything else, what fecking right do casting directors have to demand to know the sexual preference of the person who turns up to the audition?!

Peter van der Gea

Fecking stupid idea. Exactly the sort of nonsense that prompted the question in the thread title. Apart from anything else, what fecking right do casting directors have to demand to know the sexual preference of the person who turns up to the audition?!
Can I refer you to my post 9847

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

With that logic no one other than Muslims should be able to act in Muslim roles, since they would not know the trials and tribulations of being Muslim in western countries were Muslims are generally discriminated against.

There is such a thing called research for a role. If an actor/actress, whichever religion or sexuality they belong to, respects the role and does a good job portraying it then I don't see any issue.

As a Muslim, my problem isn't the lack of Muslims seen on screen but rather the way Muslims are stereotyped. If a Muslim is cast in a movie but is playing a typical terrorist, that doesn't do any progress for us.

Peter van der Gea

With that logic no one other than Muslims should be able to act in Muslim roles, since they would not know the trials and tribulations of being Muslim in western countries were Muslims are generally discriminated against.

There is such a thing called research for a role. If an actor/actress, whichever religion or sexuality they belong to, respects the role and does a good job portraying it then I don't see any issue.

As a Muslim, my problem isn't the lack of Muslims seen on screen but rather the way Muslims are stereotyped. If a Muslim is cast in a movie but is playing a typical terrorist, that doesn't do any progress for us.
Surely that's a lack of Muslim casters problem, a lack of Muslim screenwriters problem.

But actors don't just read lines, it'd take way too long to get everything right, they rely on the actor's input, they're improvisation etc

Peter van der Gea

Eh? Weird tangent but ok. To be clear. Men or women’s football? Because it’s fair to say gay men are underrepresented in men’s football but the opposite probably true in the women’s game.

It shouldn’t be controversial to acknowledge these things.
Is it though? Or are they just scared to come out because of the stereotyping and the abuse?

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
It shouldn’t be controversial to acknowledge these things.
It's the general wording that you used. Do you mean all gay men are interested in theatre? I presume that's not what you meant, but that's how it read at first.

And it's a bit of a damaging stereotype, so even if it is true that gay men are overrepresented in the arts, it's still a stereotype that I don't think helps anyone, no matter the gender/sexuality.

Peter van der Gea

Do you know any actors? Talk to them. Or even someone who went to drama school. You’ll find out how much of a stereotype that really is.
Ok mate, you don't really know who I am and who I know. I've been in the kinda environments where you meet all the creative people.

So, are actors gay and canvas artists mental?

What about sculpturers? Lesbos? Or guys who fancy tiny dicks?

Dude, slow down and think about your thoughts.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is it though? Or are they just scared to come out because of the stereotyping and the abuse?
Definitely many of them not willing/able to come out. For the reasons you say. Plus the fact they’re not likely to stick with the sport long enough to compete at a high level. Must be brutal trying to keep playing a sport full of such overt homophobia.

The exact opposite is true when it comes to working as an actor. It’s an industry which has been very welcoming to gay actors for a long time now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's the general wording that you used. Do you mean all gay men are interested in theatre? I presume that's not what you meant, but that's how it read at first.

And it's a bit of a damaging stereotype, so even if it is true that gay men are overrepresented in the arts, it's still a stereotype that I don't think helps anyone, no matter the gender/sexuality.
I was just disagreeing with the idea that there aren’t enough gay actors or roles for gay actors. Wasn’t making any kind of deeper point than that.

Peter van der Gea

And also,
Definitely many of them not willing/able to come out. For the reasons you say. Plus the fact they’re not likely to stick with the sport long enough to compete at a high level. Must be brutal trying to keep playing a sport full of such overt homophobia.

The exact opposite is true when it comes to working as an actor. It’s an industry which has been very welcoming to gay actors for a long time now.
Why? I've done it my whole life with racism

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok mate, you don't really know who I am and who I know. I've been in the kinda environments where you meet all the creative people.

So, are actors gay and canvas artists mental?

What about sculpturers? Lesbos? Or guys who fancy tiny dicks?

Dude, slow down and think about your thoughts.
Weird rant but ok, whatever.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

I don't think that's true at the very top. Hollywood etc. actors would stay in the closet for fear of damaging their career at least until recently and most likely a fair few are still closeted.