Has political correctness actually gone mad?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I know, imagine a world with leaders who are highly sensitive toward the human condition and want to prevent situations that are distressing for others!

The flip-side to this could actually be that we'll be looked back upon as the last generation who took no offense to anything, passively sat by and allowed ruling classes to create and manipulate wars, did nothing as systemic abuse was brushed under the carpet in front of our eyes with an ongoing mantra of 'that's just the way it is'.

I like the idea of a generation coming up who are 'overly' sensitive to anything that is potentially upsetting to other members of our society, even if I sometimes roll my eyes at it.
They aren't though, they care only about themselves and their little echo chambers and who is cool. If someone up sets the boat the type of people you are referring to will destroy them socially and personally because they are different. They are a minority of overly sensitive feckwits, but they are also rich feckwits and will be the leaders of tomorrow, nobody wants that.

JUPITER

They aren't though, they care only about themselves and their little echo chambers and who is cool. If someone up sets the boat the type of people you are referring to will destroy them socially and personally because they are different. They are a minority of overly sensitive feckwits, but they are also rich feckwits and will be the leaders of tomorrow, nobody wants that.
Genuine question - who's the 'they' you're talking about?

If you mean people who tend to get offended by stupid, ill thought out behaviour - I assure you they're mainly not 'rich feckwits', far from it.

They're mainly (from my experience in life) gonna be people who are directly affected by western social ignorance - non-white people, gay people, women - or people with a tendency toward compassion and empathy.

Difficult to get offended by people urging more compassion - at least for me.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Genuine question - who's the 'they' you're talking about?

If you mean people who tend to get offended by stupid, ill thought out behaviour - I assure you they're mainly not 'rich feckwits', far from it.

They're mainly (from my experience in life) gonna be people who are directly affected by western social ignorance - non-white people, gay people, women - or people with a tendency toward compassion and empathy.

Difficult to get offended by people urging more compassion - at least for me.
I'm talking about the types that Pogue Mahone in the OP is talking about, the over sensitive and easily offended people who are also trying to fight other peoples battles for them. Then you get the more political types of people like that who are called social justice warriors who are the feck wits I was referring to, this behaviour is not about compassion, they genuinely do not care about anyone but themselves. They also completely lack empathy, there was a man called Sam Biddle who works as a journalist who called for bringing back bullying because he hates nerd culture.

Brightonian

I don't know about political correctness, but the whole 'triggering' thing is definitely completely out of control. I'm not sure I agreed with it even when we were just talking about protecting soldiers and rape victims with actual PTSD from truly graphic descriptions of war or rape. Now every article about wolf-whistling feels the need to warn you that if you've been a victim of unwanted male whistles, this article might cause the SHEER, EARTH-SHATTERING HORROR of that moment to come back to you, causing you to fall immediately into a coma. Best to not even read it, just skip straight to the comments section and get your outrage on.

For what it's worth, I'm part of the generation that this shit is supposed to be aimed at. And I'm all for engagement with a lot of the various issues, but somewhere along the line the entirely true observation that how people talk and write about stuff affects how they think and act (and thus, society's habits, the law etc) got completely out of control, and everyone just seems to be waiting to pounce on 'offensive' things that other poor saps say. It's ridiculous and it does next to nothing for the actual causes in question.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No it hasn't. I think every generation we need to become a little bit better at interacting with each other. Obviously there is going to be some difficulties but, it is worth the trouble.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Bigot? More of a boor than a bigot, surely?

Do you really think it's not excessive to deprive a man (and his family) of his livelihood for being a drunken loudmouth while watching a game of football at the weekend?
In this instance I don't think it's unreasonable for a business to make that judgement. I wouldn't have been up in arms if they hadn't either though. And sexist behaviour is bigoted is it not? I would've certainly thought so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In this instance I don't think it's unreasonable for a business to make that judgement. I wouldn't have been up in arms if they hadn't either though. And sexist behaviour is bigoted is it not? I would've certainly thought so.
I'm not sure he's even being sexist. He's just recycling a crass meme based on being as offensive as possible in the background of a live to air broadcast. The bit about her being lucky not to get a dildo in her ear was referencing something that happened to a male presenter.

His employer probably felt backed into a corner once the online mob linked their company with someone acting like a douche. The whole thing does seem really unnecesary, though. The presenter dealt with him very well. Should have ended there IMO.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure he's even being sexist. He's just recycling a crass meme based on being as offensive as possible in the background of a live to air broadcast. The bit about her being lucky not to get a dildo in her ear was referencing something that happened to a male presenter.

His employer probably felt backed into a corner once the online mob linked their company with someone acting like a douche. The whole thing does seem really unnecesary, though. The presenter dealt with him very well. Should have ended there IMO.
I would fully expect to be sacked for that (I work in public service which would obviously add to the context) but maybe things are more sensitive in Australia, which is something I never thought I'd say.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

A bit of further context, he was also an employee with Hydro One which my understanding means he is a public employee as it is owned by the Government of Ontario. As a public employee who earns over $100k, he is also on the ""Sunshine List" so people could identify how much he earnt. I'm not that surprised a public employee is sacked after comments like that even though I'm not sure I would be for it (haven't watched the video).

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He deserved to get slapped down for behaving like a drunken ass but fired from his job? Seems excessive to me.
I thought that clip was the counter-argument to this thread.

Guy was a tool who got was he deserved, and should hopefully discourage that 'trend' from going much further. Agree with Archie too that I'd 100% get sacked if I was caught on camera saying that, let alone then trying to justify it.

Lebowski

Stewart Lee on 'Political Correctness Gone Mad'

When I read the thread title I begun frantically searching Youtube to find that clip before I read your post!

"These days, you say you're English, you get arrested and thrown in jail... It's political correctness gone mad."

It's difficult not to love Stewart Lee. I think that clip is from a tour he was doing called "Stewart Lee: The 41st Best Stand Up Ever" in reference to some Channel 4 talking heads list show they did which he proceeds to make fun of mercilessly. Thanks for reminding me of that and giving me a good laugh this morning, I might have to do a marathon of that show plus 'Carpet Remnant World' this weekend.

JUPITER

When I read the thread title I begun frantically searching Youtube to find that clip before I read your post!

"These days, you say you're English, you get arrested and thrown in jail... It's political correctness gone mad."

It's difficult not to love Stewart Lee. I think that clip is from a tour he was doing called "Stewart Lee: The 41st Best Stand Up Ever" in reference to some Channel 4 talking heads list show they did which he proceeds to make fun of mercilessly. Thanks for reminding me of that and giving me a good laugh this morning, I might have to do a marathon of that show plus 'Carpet Remnant World' this weekend.
:) No worries, mate.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/fired-over-fhitpfired-over-fhitp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LKkAL1AEam8#

Seems a good place for this. For those who cba to read/watch: Some guy lost his job, and a few others got a year long ban from a stadium, cos someone shouted "feck her right in the pussy" into a reporter's mic and they laughed about it. He didn't even do it himself, he was just saying he thought it was funny,albeit belligerently. I don't really buy into the "its degrading to women" thing. Juvenile and unfunny sure, which i don't see it as anything close to being a fireable offence.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/fired-over-fhitpfired-over-fhitp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LKkAL1AEam8#

Seems a good place for this. For those who cba to read/watch: Some guy lost his job, and a few others got a year long ban from a stadium, cos someone shouted "feck her right in the pussy" into a reporter's mic and they laughed about it. He didn't even do it himself, he was just saying he thought it was funny,albeit belligerently. I don't really buy into the "its degrading to women" thing. Juvenile and unfunny sure, which i don't see it as anything close to being a fireable offence.
It's really a cnutish, feckboy move to go way out of your way to get someone fired on the basis of a remark made elsewhere.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

It's difficult to say, the employer might bind employees to certain conduct agreements that apply even outside of working hours. We should also consider that he is probably part of a team and many of his colleagues may not want to work with an unrepentant boor.

Hydro One already has enough image and reputational risks as it is. They're seen as a bloated and greedy corporation by Ontarians and likely fired him to protect their image more than anything.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's difficult to say, the employer might bind employees to certain conduct agreements that apply even outside of working hours. We should also consider that he is probably part of a team and many of his colleagues may not want to work with an unrepentant boor.

Hydro One already has enough image and reputational risks as it is. They're seen as a bloated and greedy corporation by Ontarians and likely fired him to protect their image more than anything.
I do think the employer was justified in its actions. Probably. Just think it was an incredibly cnutish thing to do by whoever brought it to their attention. Nobody needed to know what his job is/was. Not as though he was wearing a "Hydro One" t-shirt!

Its all part of this recent trend by thousands of online gimps to "punish" anyone who transgresses their moral code, whether or not it's any of their business in real life. Obviously, this cuts both ways. It's not always fuelled by political correctness. As we saw with all those vile gaming nerds finding a way to torment female games journalists, on and offline.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja

He was being petulant and silly to a news reporter after a few bevvies, I doubt any of his colleagues don't wanna work with him anymore cos of that. I understand the company is trying to protect their image, still feels very harsh.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
He was being petulant and silly to a news reporter after a few bevvies, I doubt any of his colleagues don't wanna work with him anymore cos of that. I understand the company is trying to protect their image, still feels very harsh.
Maybe he's petulant and silly at work and this was a handy excuse to get rid.

Dr. Dwayne

Maybe his boss is a woman?

Dr. Dwayne

I do think the employer was justified in its actions. Probably. Just think it was an incredibly cnutish thing to do by whoever brought it to their attention. Nobody needed to know what his job is/was. Not as though he was wearing a "Hydro One" t-shirt!

Its all part of this recent trend by thousands of online gimps to "punish" anyone who transgresses their moral code, whether or not it's any of their business in real life. Obviously, this cuts both ways. It's not always fuelled by political correctness. As we saw with all those vile gaming nerds finding a way to torment female games journalists, on and offline.
That is certainly true; however, in this day and age it doesn't take long for clips like that to go viral and sooner or later someone you know will see it. Anonymity is a rare commodity now.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Blodssvik

Many times it is not even about political correctness as people look for just cause to bully others. Some just genuinely enjoy ruining others lives via social media. There seem to be an asperger epidemic too. People don't understand sarcasm and will take everything you say literally if it is slightly controversial.

JUPITER

That's kind of segueing into a different point really - one that I totally agree with you on, and one that is a really interesting debate (as opposed to the UKIP-type baiting 'P.C Gone Mad'.

It's really interesting how such advanced technology as the internet spreading the world has created a massive increase in anachronistic, pitchfork wielding 'mob think'.