Has political correctness actually gone mad?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
President Xi, sir, you have the nukes just point them at us and get it over with.

I want to single out Saira Rao as both a Wall Street exec and one o the biggest grifters ever. Just awful in every way.
:lol: Initial responses to his tweet were very funny but no surprise that it escalated to racism levels given the outrage upmanship that takes place on twitter.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
President Xi, sir, you have the nukes just point them at us and get it over with.

I want to single out Saira Rao as both a Wall Street exec and one o the biggest grifters ever. Just awful in every way.
For some perspective, last week Shailja Patel was arguing in favor of the legality of targeting Israeli children, due to Israel’s conscription policy.

Don't Kill Bill

This is the woman who put the dictionary definition of a woman on a poster explaining why and what happened subsequently.

I don't agree with her but here is her side of the debate.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Key word in that opening tweet is ‘Opinion’. Why are the follow ups thing?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For some perspective, last week Shailja Patel was arguing in favor of the legality of targeting Israeli children, due to Israel’s conscription policy.
I've never seen her before (or Sonia). I looked through Sonia's page yesterday and there was more nauseating stuff there.
Saira Rao, however, I'm familiar with. In prime form here.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Swilling down a pint of Carling at 10am with your British bulldog tattoo, while eating egg and chips and singing Rule Britannia. That's a holiday worth fighting for.

British holidaymakers slam 'snowflake' P&O Cruises for ditching patriotic singalongs and Union flags at its sail-away parties

'It's just a great celebration of good old traditional British songs which are sung with a sense of British pride. What's wrong with that?'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7847075/British-holidaymakers-slam-P-O-Cruises.html

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Do they think they're headed off to war, and not a holiday?

stevoc

Swilling down a pint of Carling at 10am with your British bulldog tattoo, while eating egg and chips and singing Rule Britannia. That's a holiday worth fighting for.

British holidaymakers slam 'snowflake' P&O Cruises for ditching patriotic singalongs and Union flags at its sail-away parties

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7847075/British-holidaymakers-slam-P-O-Cruises.html
If they're into that sort of thing they can still get plenty of it if they holiday in Northern Ireland around the start of July. More Union Jack waving than they could handle going on over here at that time.

Do they think they're headed off to war, and not a holiday?
They're representing their country on the high seas.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

She's doing the genuinely good work: Stepping down into the social-media sewers to try and engage openly with turds who probably don't deserve her time, energy and attempts to reasonable dialogue. Have to respect it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

She's doing the genuinely good work: Stepping down into the social-media sewers to try and engage openly with turds who probably don't deserve her time, energy and attempts to reasonable dialogue. Have to respect it.
She apparently explained near the end of this video that she didn't hire an editor to prevent anyone else being hit by the same backlash. I say apparently because I didn't make it till there and this thing definitely needs editing.

That said, the opening ~30 minutes are very good. I really like the point about increasingly vague language.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I thought it a necessarily long and thorough breakdown of not just her own run-ins, but the wider culture of social media cancel/shaming as a whole: why it happens, what it represents socially and why exactly it is so often an irratioonal, unhealthy response.

Then again it's breadth and substance will likely make the same unthinking, reactionary types - who would most benefit from such a video - switch off pretty quickly. Beneath the pageantry she's doing raw public philosophy par excellence.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
She apparently explained near the end of this video that she didn't hire an editor to prevent anyone else being hit by the same backlash. I say apparently because I didn't make it till there and this thing definitely needs editing.

That said, the opening ~30 minutes are very good. I really like the point about increasingly vague language.
I watched the whole video, very well done. This essay referenced heavily in the same is also a good read - https://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/trashing.htm.
I was glad that by the end she more or less denounced the practice of de-platforming/cancelling even for "deserved" use cases.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A professor who jokingly listed 52 cultural sites in America that Iran should bomb has been fired from his job at a private Massachusetts college.

Donald Trump claimed on 4 January that the US had earmarked 52 Iranian cultural sites for destruction – warning the country not to strike back after a US drone killed Iran’s top general, Qassem Suleimani, last week.

But following Trump’s post, Professor Asheen Phansey posted to his own Facebook page, saying: “[The Supreme Leader of Iran] should tweet a list of 52 sites of cultural American heritage that he would bomb … Um … Mall of America? … Kardashian residence?”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ssor-fired-trump-52-cultural-sites-tweet-joke

Jippy

Staff
A professor who jokingly listed 52 cultural sites in America that Iran should bomb has been fired from his job at a private Massachusetts college.

Donald Trump claimed on 4 January that the US had earmarked 52 Iranian cultural sites for destruction – warning the country not to strike back after a US drone killed Iran’s top general, Qassem Suleimani, last week.

But following Trump’s post, Professor Asheen Phansey posted to his own Facebook page, saying: “[The Supreme Leader of Iran] should tweet a list of 52 sites of cultural American heritage that he would bomb … Um … Mall of America? … Kardashian residence?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ssor-fired-trump-52-cultural-sites-tweet-joke
:lol:
Can't believe the po-faced bastards sacked him for that.

And tbf I bet a lot countries would be getting down to some ropey old attractions by cultural site number 52.

Jippy

Staff

Sweet Square

Shopkeeper's frustrated rant about food banks and out of date products

A business owner has spoken of his outrage after being told by food banks they did not want his donated food because they were past their sell-by date.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...pkBZOKL9eO4l6EK5cQkkANbzQFOjJGilN9VGjNiExfzQM
Alvin Wilkinson, 77. So unless my maths/ability to type numbers into the google calculator is way off, Alvin was born in 1943. The war was over by the time he was 2 years old(Plus he was born in one of the least effected countries during the war).

Old people really do love being miserable.

DVG7

Just read that they are replacing the lexicon in bingo, two fat ladies is now known as will and Kate

Classical Mechanic

Alvin Wilkinson, 77. So unless my maths/ability to type numbers into the google calculator is way off, Alvin was born in 1943. The war was over by the time he was 2 years old(Plus he was born in one of the least effected countries during the war).

Don't see anything wrong with what he said or why it's in this thread really. He's talking about not wasting food and things in general whilst having a lower carbon footprint by using local outlets that are in walking distance. Rationing lasted to 1954 too.

Jippy

Staff

Rationing only ended in 1954 tbf- my mother remembers it, but was born post-war.

EDIT: CM beat me to it.

Jippy

Staff
Don't see anything wrong with what he said or why it's in this thread really. He's talking about not wasting food and things in general whilst having a lower carbon footprint by using local outlets that are in walking distance. Rationing lasted to 1954 too.
I guess it depends a bit on whether you're a glass half-full or empty guy. Poor people being fobbed off with out of date stuff versus help people out and cut down on unnecessary food waste.

Classical Mechanic

I guess it depends a bit on whether you're a glass half-full or empty guy. Poor people being fobbed off with out of date stuff versus help people out and cut down on unnecessary food waste.
I guess its health and safety gone mad because the food is highly likely to be safe to eat. I think it is a generational thing because my dad has scant regard for sell by dates.

Sweet Square

Don't see anything wrong with what he said or why it's in this thread really. He's talking about not wasting food and things in general whilst having a lower carbon footprint by using local outlets that are in walking distance.
Meh that of stuff sort of pointless in the grand scheme of things(Although people mean well when they say it)

Rationing lasted to 1954 too.
Rationing only ended in 1954 tbf- my mother remembers it, but was born post-war.

EDIT: CM beat me to it.
Ah fair enough.

Jippy

Staff
I guess its health and safety gone mad because the food is highly likely to be safe to eat. I think it is a generational thing because my dad has scant regard for sell by dates.
I'm sure that's more an absentmindedness with age thing. My mum used to take the piss about her mum having things miles past their sell by date, then she became the same and now me. My deputy last year was appalled that I was using a nicotine patch that was best before the end of 2005. It worked fine though tbf and not like it was dairy.

Classical Mechanic

I'm sure that's more an absentmindedness with age thing. My mum used to take the piss about her mum having things miles past their sell by date, then she became the same and now me. My deputy last year was appalled that I was using a nicotine patch that was best before the end of 2005. It worked fine though tbf and not like it was dairy.
It depends on how out of date they are but tinned goods can generally have double the stated life.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
The phrase alluded to in the title always used to wind me up. Political correctness is a good thing and comes as a result of a decades long struggle for equality. Who cares if we sometimes err on the side of being too cautious about causing offence?

Reading articles like this, though, makes me wonder if it really has gone a bit too far. Especially with social media empowering loony tunes crusades by anyone, anywhere, who takes offence at anything.

Thoughts?
People scared of being not pc has gone mad.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Just read that they are replacing the lexicon in bingo, two fat ladies is now known as will and Kate
@Pexbo has sort of covered this already. But to add further this isn't PC gone mad by any means, more like a company trying to appeal to wider demographic for a dying game. If anyone has an issue with it, blame capitalism.