Has Samuel Eto'o cheapened his legacy by solely pursuing money for the last 7 years?

Sterling Archer

Let me first put aside that he is smarter than most for turning his twighlight years as a pro into some deserved monetary reward, much of which he does use for philanthropy.

If I'm looking at the actual clubs he played for, his worst decision for that pretense of 'legacy' is joining Chelsea and Everton. Because he did jack shit there. So it's funny for me...he'd ironically have been better off in a more obscure scene just making money and enjoying his football at that point.

el3mel

No.

He was done for as a player when he moved to Chelsea. He tried to resist the aging and decline but it was in vain so he shifted to chasing money. No problem for me imo. Will always be remembered for his time at Barca and Inter.

Also, disagree about him being the best African player of all time. He's top 5 though.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No.

He was done for as a player when he moved to Chelsea. He tried to resist the aging and decline but it was in vain so he shifted to chasing money. No problem for me imo. Will always be remembered for his time at Barca and Inter.

Also, disagree about him being the best African player of all time. He's top 5 though
What's your top 5?

Sterling Archer

George Weah
Abede Pele
Roger Milla
Eto'o
Drogba
Yaya Toure
Lakhdar Belloumi
Essien
Rabeh Majar
Hossam Hassan

In order. From my head for sure, so myabe I dropped some legends.
Was Weah's legacy ruined by playing for Chelsea, City, Marseille and Al Jazira before going into politics? :smirk:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
George Weah
Abede Pele
Roger Milla
Eto'o
Drogba
Yaya Toure
Lakhdar Belloumi
Essien
Rabeh Majar
Hossam Hassan

Good list. I'd say that top 5 is probably the consensus top 5, people will just slot them differently within the five.

Sterling Archer

Nope. Neirher Eto'o as I said previously.
Aye, meant to be more of an open critique of the OP and lack of empathy for where some of these footballers come from. I might as well as stop pussyfooting around this...
I'll worry about Eto'os (or Weah's) legacy once I hear Georgie Best's status is under question for playing for the Los Angeles Astecs and Ft Lauderdale :lol: in feckin Florida. Not to mention the alcoholism and philandering. (@el3mel I think you know where I'm going with this )

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Anzhi at that time had a project going by local billionaire Suleyman Kerimov to become one of the top Russian teams. Hiddink as manager and Eto'o were the key parts, but they also bought a lot of other solid players at the time before Kerimov pulled most of his financial backing a few years later and they went back to being a yo-yo club.

Eto'o obviously only went there for the huge salary, but watching his games there you could see he was beginning a decline despite working his arse off and being very professional. The level he was playing at would have seen him be increasingly peripheral at a top Italian club/other top 4 league club. He would be quickly moving to a mid-table\Europa league sort of side if he wanted to remain a consistent starter among the top-tier of leagues.

The guy probably knew he was struggling to keep up the week by week intensity needed, so he goes for the money by taking the step down to a lower-half of the top ten ranked Euro league side where he can still play at a decent level and be a starter. It's not like he instantly went to the middle east or somewhere similar. i'm not sure where the RPl was ranked that season, but i'm guessing it was around 6-7 in the Euro coefficients. It's not a level you can just arse around and play like you're half-retired and are likely to get away with it for long.

Watching Eto'o for Anzhi, he was still good and played a big part in carrying them to their best ever league positions and a couple of decent europa league campaigns, but you could see he was no longer as mobile, quick or sharp in front of goal as before and in his first season you had other forwards like Seydou Doumbia and a similarly aging Aleksandr Kerzhakov scoring quite a bit more goals and matching\exceeding his level of play, plus guys like Kevin Kuranyi, big Dzyuba, aging midfield playmaker Igor Semshov and former liverpool flop Andrey Voronin scoring a similar amount.

Second season he was very good in Europa league, scoring 9, but only scored 10 league goals, less than ahmed Musa or Yura Movsisyan and though his overall level of play was still superior to players like that, it was pretty obvious he had become just another solid\good but far from great player at this stage in his career. which was more or less confirmed when he then tried to get back playing in higher rated leagues with Chelsea, Everton and Sampdoria. If anything his peformances in Turkey and getting that amount of goals again for a couple of seasons without playing for one of their best clubs was a good later career revival.

el3mel

Aye, meant to be more of an open critique of the OP and lack of empathy for where some of these footballers come from. I might as well as stop pussyfooting around this...
I'll worry about Eto'os (or Weah's) legacy once I hear Georgie Best's status is under question for playing for the Los Angeles Astecs and Ft Lauderdale :lol: in feckin Florida. Not to mention the alcoholism and philandering. (@el3mel I think you know where I'm going with this )
The legacy part is not that important when rating players imo. Most important thing is how their prime level was and for how long was their peak era. Eto'o enjoyed great success with Barca and Inter for years, and won everything in his prime with clubs and national team while playing in world cup several times. He has zero regrets over his career so no problem enjoying a free ride while earning more money by the end of his career.

These moves to China, USA or Arab Gulf are only blamed if a player who is still in his prime or prior to it, still did nothing in his career and decided to throw it completely to earn money. It's his right for sure, but you can enjoy such free ride after you are done with your career, unless your whole ambition from the sport from the start is money for whatever reason not trophies, then no problem.

In case of Eto'o, he did everything possible in his career. He's free to collect some money before retiring.

Sterling Archer

The legacy part is not that important when rating players imo. Most important thing is how their prime level was and for how long was their peak era. Eto'o enjoyed great success with Barca and Inter for years, and won everything in his prime with clubs and national team while playing in world cup several times. He has zero regrets over his career so no problem enjoying a free ride while earning more money by the end of his career.

These moves to China, USA or Arab Gulf are only blamed if a player who is still in his prime or prior to it, still did nothing in his career and decided to throw it completely to earn money. It's his right for sure, but you can enjoy such free ride after you are done with your career, unless your whole ambition from the sport from the start is money for whatever reason not trophies, then no problem.

In case of Eto'o, he did everything possible in his career. He's free to collect some money before retiring.
Agree 100%

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He has been washed for a while. His time at Chelsea proved that. Might as well cash in on your name

Edit forget he spent time at Everton and Sampdoria
True. At his best he is was the best african player and one of the best players in the world. He's achieved many things in his career that not many pro footballers will ever come close to anyway. He might as well as enjoy and enrich himself as much as he can

@el3mel Very good post to summarize what I feel too. If a player with good footballing years cause to these exotic countries to earn a lot more, then it feels like a waste for a man who's won every trophy he could win (Cameroon was never winning the World Cup), there is nothing wrong with it

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Anzhi at that time had a project going by local billionaire Suleyman Kerimov to become one of the top Russian teams. Hiddink as manager and Eto'o were the key parts, but they also bought a lot of other solid players at the time before Kerimov pulled most of his financial backing a few years later and they went back to being a yo-yo club.

Eto'o obviously only went there for the huge salary, but watching his games there you could see he was beginning a decline despite working his arse off and being very professional. The level he was playing at would have seen him be increasingly peripheral at a top Italian club/other top 4 league club. He would be quickly moving to a mid-table\Europa league sort of side if he wanted to remain a consistent starter among the top-tier of leagues.

The guy probably knew he was struggling to keep up the week by week intensity needed, so he goes for the money by taking the step down to a lower-half of the top ten ranked Euro league side where he can still play at a decent level and be a starter. It's not like he instantly went to the middle east or somewhere similar. i'm not sure where the RPl was ranked that season, but i'm guessing it was around 6-7 in the Euro coefficients. It's not a level you can just arse around and play like you're half-retired and are likely to get away with it for long.

Watching Eto'o for Anzhi, he was still good and played a big part in carrying them to their best ever league positions and a couple of decent europa league campaigns, but you could see he was no longer as mobile, quick or sharp in front of goal as before and in his first season you had other forwards like Seydou Doumbia and a similarly aging Aleksandr Kerzhakov scoring quite a bit more goals and matching\exceeding his level of play, plus guys like Kevin Kuranyi, big Dzyuba, aging midfield playmaker Igor Semshov and former liverpool flop Andrey Voronin scoring a similar amount.

Second season he was very good in Europa league, scoring 9, but only scored 10 league goals, less than ahmed Musa or Yura Movsisyan and though his overall level of play was still superior to players like that, it was pretty obvious he had become just another solid\good but far from great player at this stage in his career. which was more or less confirmed when he then tried to get back playing in higher rated leagues with Chelsea, Everton and Sampdoria. If anything his peformances in Turkey and getting that amount of goals again for a couple of seasons without playing for one of their best clubs was a good later career revival.
Nice post. I am admittedly ignorant of his performance level at Anzhi, and perhaps you're right and he felt he was winding down, which would have hastened his decision and made it less about simply cashing in, but rather a logical and prudent choice.

I don't bother much with the rumours about some African players being older than their documents say, but if that is the case with Eto'o, then he would've known he was on borrowed time as it was.

It will be interesting to see if he ever talks candidly about his decisions once he retires.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
George Weah
Abede Pele
Roger Milla
Eto'o
Drogba
Yaya Toure
Lakhdar Belloumi
Essien
Rabeh Majar
Hossam Hassan

You dropped Salif keita, first African player of the year.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Definitely not. Your very own Lukaku noted how much he helped him develop in the short time he was at Everton. Just like when Rooney was at the club last season, their influence to the young players in the squad is very valuable.

Trizy

I dunno. He went to Anzi Makhackala in his prime (29 or 30 years old). Most pros are after one big fat payday once they hit 30s because that's it for them.

You could also argue he had won everything at club level and wanted a big pay day. Iirc he was at the time the highest paid player in the world by some distance. £350k a week after tax. That's probably more than Messi or Ronaldo 7 years later.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
His legacy is that of a 3 times Champions League winner, scoring in two of the finals, and a multiple time league champion in two of the top 4 leagues in the world. He achieved all that a footballer would want to achieve by his late 20's so he had nothing more to prove at anyone. There was no higher peak he could have realistically reached as a professional so what is wrong if he shifted his aim to earning as much money as he could before retirement?

He's not doing anything illegal while doing it so fair play to him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He has cheapened his legacy slightly, he could have played for top clubs for years. It’s his career though, can’t blame the guy for maximising his earning potential while he can.
He literally won everything at club level in terms of trophies. Going on to win another league or two at a major club isn’t going to make his legacy look much better.

Much smarter of him to go for the money which would actually mean something when he’s retired.

The White Pele

His time at Chelsea and Everton showed he was probably done at the top level so you can understand him taking some lucrative opportunities that were thrown to him. Footballers reach their expiry dates at different ages and not all can sustain top level into their mid 30s.

DRM

Nope not a chance. He will always be remembered as a great striker, especially during the Rikjaard years at Barcelona playing with Ronaldinho and Guily in a front three.

Toad

It’s a job at the end of the day and he wants to earn money. There is nothing wrong with that. Some footballers obviously don’t share the same passion, or dedication to specific clubs as us supporters so it doesn’t bother them.

Would you swap a job in a well known company to then double your money in a lesser known company?