Has the cult of Mbappe become more important than the player?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Last night I watched Mbappe's chat with President Obama and as I watched that interview,i couldn’t help but wonder whether Mbappe the personality is actually more important than Mbappe the player.Please don’t get me wrong,I”m not having a pop at him just because of his shocking performance against Switzerland.Having watched him week in,week out over these last couple of years I feel that he’s almost reached his peak as a footballer.

I honestly can’t see him getting significantly better than this,and i honestly can’t see him reaching the level of someone like a Wayne Rooney.Kylian isn’t even in the same league as Rooney....As a supporter I felt excited to watch a young Wayne Rooney play...I feel the same excitement whenever I watch Greenwood,but Kylian isn’t someone who gives you that feeling.

Ofcourse he’s capable of scoring some stunning goals and he does perform well for a reasonable period of time...But I can never see him becoming the best player at Man United.What do you guys think of Kylian as a footballer?Is he an indispensable part of this PSG team(Like Veratti was at that age)?Or is he just a cult personality who’s a bit over rated as a player?Whats your view...

Threesus

This is why rashford gets hate, man. Tbh, maybe Kylian needed this choke moment. The writers were giving him too much plot armour in his story.
He has a chance to rectify it next winter.

Reactions: Fortitude

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This is why rashford gets hate, man. Tbh, maybe Kylian needed this choke moment. The writers were giving him too much plot armour in his story.
He has a chance to rectify it next summer.
What is happening next summer?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Football can be so beautiful but so cruel. Won the World Cup as a teenager, gets a big move earning a fortune and is the heir to the throne. Big moment with the world watching and… he misses, it’s the ultimate equaliser. I honestly think this will be good for him, he’ll realise he isn’t the king of kings yet and push for a move to United and lead us back to the top.

Charles Miller

Dont want be rude, but i find those recent "Mbappe is not that good" or "same level as Rashy" threads cringeworthy.

El Jefe

I've noticed a trend of Rashford fanbois (for lack of a better term) basking in the misfortune of Mbappe. Mbappe was admittedly shite this tournament but it still doesn't change the fact that Rashford is nowhere close to Mbappe level. This is Herrera vs Kante all over again

FatTails

His idol is Ronaldo, so he had to follow in his steps and miss a high profile penalty at a young age. Too bad Lloris is no Van Der Sar and the Swiss were lethal from the spot.

MUFC OK

Absolutely, he’s bordering on a myth.

He’s a fantastic player but definitely not the heir apparent to the messi/Ronaldo era. Winning the World Cup young seems to have sealed his status in most people’s minds though.

seeing him live at OT he is one of the fastest players I’ve ever seen and glides around the pitch but I’m not convinced that he has improved much in the last 3 years

What would it take for the Mbappé stans to actually concede that he’s not the player we thought he could be when he burst on the scene?

MUFC OK

Football can be so beautiful but so cruel. Won the World Cup as a teenager, gets a big move earning a fortune and is the heir to the throne. Big moment with the world watching and… he misses, it’s the ultimate equaliser. I honestly think this will be good for him, he’ll realise he isn’t the king of kings yet and push for a move to United and lead us back to the top.
It’s not just that though, he’s had a shocking tournament. He’s not won the CL yet with PSG and is maintaining his status with goals in a poor league.

acolyte

So close! All You had to do was to change "President Obama" to "Yann Sommer"...