Has the cult of Rashford become more important than the player?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Martial only played 1 more league game than him that season. Yet ironically he's the guy many want to make a scapegoat out of because shitting on a United player is outrageous unless he's French, or something.
Martial was like our player of the season wasn’t he?

They both got 17 goals and 6 assists (with Rashford having an extr assist).

Since you rightfullydecided to not include penalties - then I think it’s fair to say that United changed massively when Bruno Fernandes came mid way through that season & If I remember Rashford’s injury came after Bruno Fernandes came so he couldn’t reap the benefits off of him as much as Martial could.

That first half of the season we were utter crap against low block teams until Bruno came.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only 6 players have more non penalties goal contribution than Rashford from 2019-20 season, sure let's skew those stats too :lol:

Andersons Dietician

Nope. That was never my point. I tried to explain it in a simple way due to not wanting to have to type out a PHD thesis in every post - however, I have realised that’s not the way to do it because if you leave any kind of ambiguity in your argument people on this forum will manipulate it.

So here’s my argument in full. Broken down for ease of reading/understanding.

1) I only care about what our players achieve in the PL, for the most part. We play 60+ games in all competitions, which is more than most other teams in the league. We also play more cup games than most other teams in the league, and very often they are more open/against moderate opponents. Therefore, when I am evaluating a players contributions, I’m looking predominantly at their contribution in PL games.

2) I don’t know where this sudden obsession with assists has come from but it’s not really a great measure of performance on it’s own. We all know not all assists are created equal. Pogba could play a 60 yard pass which Rashford rolls sideways to Bruno, who then scores from 35 yards and that’s an assist for Rashford. Likewise, of course goals are important in football but again, not all goals are created equal. There’s more context needed to understand how these goals where scored, when they were scored, who they where scored against, what state was the game at when they where scored etc..Basically, what I am saying is only looking at a players statistics is really only half of the picture at best.

3) Now, as a pointed out elsewhere (and have since been misrepresented over and over again), some players get SO MANY goals and assists that there is an argument to say that that is a good contribution in and of itself. If you imagine a graph with “performance” across the horizontal axis and “goals/assists” across the vertical, the very best players would obviously be top right - however, most players aren’t Messi/Ronaldo so there is a trade-off. Now, my point remains, if a player puts in average performances but scores/assists a tonne of goals, then I might be willing to overlook their shortcomings. I’m thinking someone like Bruno here, to a certain degree. Personally, I think his all-round game is so-so. He makes plenty of mistakes, gives the ball away on a regular basis etc., etc...however, for a midfielder, his numbers are very good. Plus, his work-rate and obvious threat occupy the opposition and free up space/creates chances for others.

4) So, following on from Pt.4, and please re-read that whenever you feel inclined to misrepresent my point, Rashford, by fairly common consensus, is a very “hit and miss” player. When he is good, he can be very good. When he is bad, he stinks the place out. The trouble is, there are more “bad” games than there are good. I don’t think that’s a controversial opinion. Even his biggest fans accept he was poor at times last season and at least half of the season before. There may be excuses, there may not be, that can be argued elsewhere. So, for a player to be regularly average/below average and play for a club like Utd with aspirations for titles and trophies, I’d be expecting excellent numbers. Currently Rashford averages a goal every 4/5 PL games and about the same with regard assists. I don’t call that “excellent”. I don’t even really call it “very good”. I think we can debate somewhere between “decent and good”.

5) You say “eye-test” as if in someway mocking or making light of the fact that someone can claim to be able to tell something about a player over and above just looking at their statistics, which I find bizarre. Of course the “eye-test” is important, otherwise why would clubs employ hundreds of Scouts? Why wouldn’t they just go on the Premier League website and sign whichever player posts the best numbers? An experienced footballer/watcher of football can see things in the “mundane” moments of a football game that are not caught by statistics, or at least not the one’s freely available and or used by your average fan. Take the Europa League final...how many times did Rashford make an unforced error? Who is measuring that? I don’t have the statistics, I only have my “eye-test”. How many times did Rashford stand and watch as Cavani (11 years his senior) run past him to close an opponent down or make a tackle? How many times did Rashford make the wrong choice? Where are the statistics for that? The fact is, football will always be subjective. The problem for the pro-Rashford posters is statistics are all they have at the moment because 70% of his performances stink and perhaps even more damning, his attitude looks off, for whatever reason.

6) I never set out with an agenda to pan Rashford. I have no agenda against any of our players. If I was asked to give my honest opinion on Rashford I would say “average PL inside-forward/winger”. I’m not claiming he’s crap or useless or should be sold. I will consistently question the people who make excuses for him over and over and question why other players aren’t afforded the same luxury? I class Rashford as about as good/on a level with Scott McTominay, but I love Scott McTominay and I bet you can’t find a damning post from me about him. And the reason for that is mainly because I don’t have to hear nonsense on a daily basis about how McTominay is ‘as good as Scholes/Gerrard/Vieira/Keane’ or is a ‘world class talent’. People just accept his limitations and provide a reasonable analysis of his performances. For some reason, that doesn’t seem to be applied to Rashford, who is just wildly over-rated for whatever reason.
This is top work and exactly how many people probably feel and observe football. Unfortunately no matter how many times this gets explained to people stats will continue to be trotted out.

Football will always be a team sport and about the collective rather than just the individual.

roonster09

Scout
Alternatively, if he needs surgery he should have it now, forget the Euros, United should be his main focus.
Why? It's his wish. He wants to play for England and play in Euro 21. Your priorities are not his priorities.

roonster09

Scout
This is the part where I point out (again) that the only difference in Rashford and Bruno's end products this season comes from penalties. From open play in the league: Fernandes 8 goals 12 assists, Rashford 11 goals 9 assists.

Oops, time to bring out that eye test again!
One thing you can't point finger at Rashford is his productivity, but somehow even that is used against him when only 6 players have more goal contributions than Rashford from open play since start of last season and he was in top 10 for non penalty goal contribution in top 5 leagues in all competitions.

It's hilarious though, set unrealistic which was achieved only once or twice in PL era and have a go at him for not achieving that.

hubbuh

Why? It's his wish. He wants to play for England and play in Euro 21. Your priorities are not his priorities.
I think it's understandable if people are concerned he isn't properly recuperating, especially when it hampers both his and United's performances. His status and standing within the club is probably one of the biggest but he turned in quite a number of subpar performances and in a recent interview specifically mentioned his injury. We all just want to see the fittest and freshest Rashford.

Mylock

He has an incredible ceiling of ability, but his decision-making is really struggling to reach the same level. Decision-making turns incredible talent into incredible output, and he's at that age where that transformation is more and more expected of him. I don't think him being a top notch human being trying to change the injustices of our world will influence any footballing decisions that the club make regarding him.

Also we ask him to play a ridiculous amount of football enduring a lot during the season, so that too affects everything that's expected of him.
Great post, we need to give him a proper rest after the Euros until he clears up his 2 injuries, then he'll really take off.

roonster09

Scout
I think it's understandable if people are concerned he isn't properly recuperating, especially when it hampers both his and United's performances. His status and standing within the club is probably one of the biggest but he turned in quite a number of subpar performances and in a recent interview specifically mentioned his injury. We all just want to see the fittest and freshest Rashford.
Yeah he can get it operated after Euro and miss few games next season.

People just underestimate how much players want to play in these competitions and represent their countries. It's not like it happens every season. For all we know it might end up as his last for various reasons.

People give me Greenwood example, let's be real he was obvious player who would have been left out.

Bebestation

Only 6 players have more non penalties goal contribution than Rashford from 2019-20 season, sure let's skew those stats too :lol:
Damn that’s crazy.

When you hate someone people really can make it sound like a problem when it’s not.

roonster09

Scout
Damn that’s crazy.

When you hate someone people really can make it sound like a problem when it’s not.
"I don't have agenda" "I don't like ManUtd player getting too much praise" :lol:

hubbuh

Yeah he can get it operated after Euro and miss few games next season.

People just underestimate how much players want to play in these competitions and represent their countries. It's not like it happens every season. For all we know it might end up as his last for various reasons.

People give me Greenwood example, let's be real he was obvious player who would have been left out.
Yeh I'd never castigated a player for wanting to play in a mega international tourny. Hopefully he fecking smashes it and comes back feeling rejuvenated.

I feel like Greenwood might have gone over one of the 4 right backs? Dunno though. Would have been a great option from the bench.

roonster09

Scout
Yeh I'd never castigated a player for wanting to play in a mega international tourny. Hopefully he fecking smashes it and comes back feeling rejuvenated.

I feel like Greenwood might have gone over one of the 4 right backs? Dunno though. Would have been a great option from the bench.
Greenwood should have been in the squad but he was favourite to be dropped. He did the right thing to get the injury sorted.

Too many RBs in the squad, maybe he is banking on Walker, Reece James playing as CB in 3 CB system.

stw2022

Non-penalty goals scored for the 2019/20 PL season

Ings - 21
Aubameyang - 20
Sterling - 20
Vardy - 19
Mane - 18
Martial - 17
Salah - 16
Kane - 16
Abraham - 15
Jimenez - 14
Aguero - 14
Jesus - 14
Calvert-Lewin - 13
Richarlison - 13
Heung-Min - 11
Rashford 11

This remains his best season. Apart from this season which his poor performances are both down to injury and: 'shut up there aren't any poor performances you're clueless and hate the club'

roonster09

Scout

Ings - 21
Aubameyang - 20
Sterling - 20
Vardy - 19
Mane - 18
Martial - 17
Salah - 16
Kane - 16
Abraham - 15
Jimenez - 14
Aguero - 14
Jesus - 14
Calvert-Lewin - 13
Richarlison - 13
Heung-Min - 11
Rashford 11
Goal contribution and who is even talking about 2019-20 season alone, weird mental gymnastics :lol:

stw2022

'Goal contribution'?

Put down your emoji for a second and explain what a 'goal contribution' is

roonster09

Scout
'Goal contribution'?

I won't drop emoji, may be you should stop with your mental gymnastics.

Goal contribution - goals + assists.

stw2022

Oh okay.

For both 2019/20 and last season with assists in brackets

Ings – 21 – 10 (6)
Aubameyang – 20 – 8 (6)
Sterling – 20 -10 (1)
Vardy – 19 – 7 – (14)
Mane – 18 – 11 (14)

Martial – 17 – 4 (9)
Salah – 16 -16 (15)
Kane – 16 – 19 (16)

Abraham – 15 – 6 (4)
Jimenez – 14 – 4 (0)
Aguero – 14 – 4 (3)
Jesus – 14 – 9 (11)
Calvert-Lewin – 13 – 16 (1)
Richarlison – 13 – 7 (6)
Heung-Min – 11 – 16 (20)
Rashford 11 – 11 (9)

So that's 9 players. Others are close. Calvert-Lewin one behind, for example. Hell Martial is only 1 behind on 'goal contributions' over the two seasons and he's played 14 games less. For the record, no I don't think Martial is a brilliant player either. I assume you rate him highly?

roonster09

Scout
Oh okay.

Ings – 21 – 10 (6)
Aubameyang – 20 – 8 (6)
Sterling – 20 -10 (1)
Vardy – 19 – 7 – (14)
Mane – 18 – 11 (14)

Martial – 17 – 4 (9)
Salah – 16 -16 (15)
Kane – 16 – 19 (16)

Abraham – 15 – 6 (4)
Jimenez – 14 – 4 (0)
Aguero – 14 – 4 (3)
Jesus – 14 – 9 (11)
Richarlison – 13 – 7 (6)
Heung-Min – 11 – 16 (20)
Rashford 11 – 11 (9)

So that's 9 players. Others are close. Calvert-Lewin one behind, for example.
Rashford has 16 assists in last 2 seasons. 9 this season and 7 in the last season.

roonster09

Scout
Looking forward for the next gymnastics.

PlayerG+A
1​
Harry Kane
51​
2​
Kevin De Bruyne
47​
3​
Mohamed Salah
47​
4​
Son Heung-min
47​
5​
Sadio Mané
43​
6​
Jamie Vardy
40​
7​
Marcus Rashford
38​
8​
Raheem Sterling
38​
9​
Danny Ings
37​
10​
Gabriel Jesus
34​
11​
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
34​
12​
Riyad Mahrez
34​
13​
Roberto Firmino
33​
14​
Bruno Fernandes
32​
15​
Anthony Martial
30​
16​
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
30​
17​
Jack Grealish
30​
18​
Chris Wood
27​
19​
Harvey Barnes
27​

Doracle

Roonster - would you mind posting that list with just players 25 or under? Might be very helpful for some people?

roonster09

Scout
Roonster - would you mind posting that list with just players 25 or under? Might be very helpful for some people?
These stats were pulled from last season, so age is at the start for 2019-20 season, so you can just add +1 to all players, which will filter out players like Sterling, Bruno.

PlayerAgeG+A
Marcus Rashford
22​
38​
Raheem Sterling
25​
38​
Gabriel Jesus
23​
34​
Bruno Fernandes
25​
32​
Anthony Martial
24​
30​
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
23​
30​
Jack Grealish
24​
30​
Harvey Barnes
22​
27​
Trent Alexander-Arnold
21​
26​
Richarlison
23​
25​
Tammy Abraham
22​
25​
James Maddison
23​
22​
Kelechi Iheanacho
23​
22​
Mason Mount
21​
22​
Bernardo Silva
25​
21​
Phil Foden
20​
21​
Che Adams
24​
20​
Mason Greenwood
18​
20​
Nicolas Pépé
25​
20​
Christian Pulisic
21​
19​
James Ward-Prowse
25​
19​
Neal Maupay
23​
19​
Jarrod Bowen
23​
18​
Leandro Trossard
25​
18​

Doracle

You were the one that on the subject of goals from open play in one season decided to make it about 'goal contributions'
The discussion was about Bruno and Rashford having similar non penalty G+A contributions this season. You switched it to be just goals from last season, because that suited your agenda. Roonster merely moved it back to G+A across both seasons.

roonster09

Scout

Ings - 21
Aubameyang - 20
Sterling - 20
Vardy - 19
Mane - 18
Martial - 17
Salah - 16
Kane - 16
Abraham - 15
Jimenez - 14
Aguero - 14
Jesus - 14
Calvert-Lewin - 13
Richarlison - 13
Heung-Min - 11
Rashford 11

This remains his best season. Apart from this season which his poor performances are both down to injury and: 'shut up there aren't any poor performances you're clueless and hate the club'
Goal contribution and who is even talking about 2019-20 season alone, weird mental gymnastics :lol:
'Goal contribution'?

Oh okay.

Ings – 21 – 10 (6)
Aubameyang – 20 – 8 (6)
Sterling – 20 -10 (1)
Vardy – 19 – 7 – (14)
Mane – 18 – 11 (14)

Martial – 17 – 4 (9)
Salah – 16 -16 (15)
Kane – 16 – 19 (16)

Abraham – 15 – 6 (4)
Jimenez – 14 – 4 (0)
Aguero – 14 – 4 (3)
Jesus – 14 – 9 (11)
Richarlison – 13 – 7 (6)
Heung-Min – 11 – 16 (20)
Rashford 11 – 11 (9)

So that's 9 players. Others are close. Calvert-Lewin one behind, for example. Hell Martial is only 1 behind on 'goal contributions' over the two seasons and he's played 14 games less. For the record, no I don't think Martial is a brilliant player either. I assume you rate him highly?
You were the one that on the subject of goals from open play in one season decided to make it about 'goal contributions'

Yeah it was me who changed the goal contribution thing.

Pathetic, initial post was about Goals + assists, you tried by including assists (for all players except for Rashford, you left one season assists for him) and then when pointed out, came with up one more ridiculous post/lie.

Even argued how Martial, DCL are just 1 'Goal contribution' behind but when pointed out the guy left out Rashford's 1 season assists stats, came up with mental gymnastics. Not surprising.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think we are prone to judge him for his performances over the last few months of the season. I don't think he was making excuses when he said he was playing with injuries and not been fully fit after the final. He had looked drained after Christmas and it looked obvious he was forcing himself over the line.

Rashford has had a pretty standard season. He's been having trouble running into roadblocks this season. However, assists and goals are not everything in a player and Rashford is key to how United play. Aristotle said the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. United look a better and more dangerous team with Rashford in the team.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
I've watched rashford for a while now and he's clearly not happy when playing. He hardly smiles, he doesn't apologise when he fecks up, or applaud other players efforts, his body language and style are negative and centre around him and his performance. even when he scores his celebration is angry. He seems to have a lot of weight on his shoulders or something.

He's an exceptional talent, he needs to be a team player and utd would have a real real gem.

roonster09

Scout
The discussion was about Bruno and Rashford having similar non penalty G+A contributions this season. You switched it to be just goals from last season, because that suited your agenda. Roonster merely moved it back to G+A across both seasons.
Exactly, even tried to post Goals + assists but by leaving Rashford assist stats for complete season. If it was any other poster, would have thought it was by accident but when you read this guy's post, it was obvious what he was doing.

Doracle

These stats were pulled from last season, so age is at the start for 2019-20 season, so you can just add +1 to all players, which will filter out players like Sterling, Bruno.

PlayerAgeG+A
Marcus Rashford
22​
38​
Raheem Sterling
25​
38​
Gabriel Jesus
23​
34​
Bruno Fernandes
25​
32​
Anthony Martial
24​
30​
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
23​
30​
Jack Grealish
24​
30​
Harvey Barnes
22​
27​
Trent Alexander-Arnold
21​
26​
Richarlison
23​
25​
Tammy Abraham
22​
25​
James Maddison
23​
22​
Kelechi Iheanacho
23​
22​
Mason Mount
21​
22​
Bernardo Silva
25​
21​
Phil Foden
20​
21​
Che Adams
24​
20​
Mason Greenwood
18​
20​
Nicolas Pépé
25​
20​
Christian Pulisic
21​
19​
James Ward-Prowse
25​
19​
Neal Maupay
23​
19​
Jarrod Bowen
23​
18​
Leandro Trossard
25​
18​
Thanks. So it’s fair to say that even if we:

(a) ignore penalties, which those other young players by and large haven’t been trusted to take; and

(b) exclude cup competitions where Rashford has delivered against the likes of Liverpool, Leipzig and PSG (worth noting he scored a goal every 69 minutes in our champions league campaign and was joint 3rd top scorer despite us going out in the group).

Rashford is still the most productive under 25 player over the last two seasons in the premier league.

roonster09

Scout
Thanks. So it’s fair to say that even if we:

(a) ignore penalties, which those other young players by and large haven’t been trusted to take; and

(b) exclude cup competitions where Rashford has delivered against the likes of Liverpool, Leipzig and PSG (worth noting he scored a goal every 69 minutes in our champions league campaign and was joint 3rd top scorer despite us going out in the group).

Rashford is still the most productive under 25 player over the last two seasons in the premier league.
Yeah,

Also in all competitions in top 5 leagues, only Mbappe and Haaland are more productive than him (Players younger than Rashford) with or without penalties.

If we go with U-25 players, then Mbappe, Haaland and Andre Silva are ahead of Rashford.

stw2022

I think we are prone to judge him for his performances over the last few months of the season. I don't think he was making excuses when he said he was playing with injuries and not been fully fit after the final. He had looked drained after Christmas and it looked obvious he was forcing himself over the line.

Rashford has had a pretty standard season. He's been having trouble running into roadblocks this season. However, assists and goals are not everything in a player and Rashford is key to how United play. Aristotle said the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. United look a better and more dangerous team with Rashford in the team.
Agree with the bolded part but that's part of my issue. I don't think we're a very attractive or fluid attacking side. He's key to how we play but we're not playing very well. Too often we've been grinding out results, fighting from behind. It isn't just Rashford that's the problem, we need to add quality in other areas including up front and central midfield as creatively we're not brilliant.

hubbuh

Looking forward for the next gymnastics.

PlayerG+A
1​
Harry Kane
51​
2​
Kevin De Bruyne
47​
3​
Mohamed Salah
47​
4​
Son Heung-min
47​
5​
Sadio Mané
43​
6​
Jamie Vardy
40​
7​
Marcus Rashford
38​
8​
Raheem Sterling
38​
9​
Danny Ings
37​
10​
Gabriel Jesus
34​
11​
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
34​
12​
Riyad Mahrez
34​
13​
Roberto Firmino
33​
14​
Bruno Fernandes
32​
15​
Anthony Martial
30​
16​
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
30​
17​
Jack Grealish
30​
18​
Chris Wood
27​
19​
Harvey Barnes
27​
Excellent numbers. He's only 23!

Idxomer

There was a period the season before last where he seemed to have figured his game out and have taken the next step, which extended from the Liverpool game where he scored till he got his back injured.

Since he came back, his form has been up and down and his overall game has deteriorated badly.

Bebestation

There was a period the season before last where he seemed to have figured his game out and have taken the next step, which extended from the Liverpool game where he scored till he got his back injured.

Since he came back, his form has been up and down and his overall game has deteriorated badly.
This happened just before his back injury.

He started becoming a very good consistent player as soon as we got Bruno Fernandes but then he got a back injury and he went back to where he had started.

He was great during that period, nice simple tap in goals and headers etc.

Giggsforever

He is a good player, but I can't think of his last good game. I would sell him and get Jack Grealish in, to get that creativity on the left wing would be brilliant for our game.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I've watched rashford for a while now and he's clearly not happy when playing. He hardly smiles, he doesn't apologise when he fecks up, or applaud other players efforts, his body language and style are negative and centre around him and his performance. even when he scores his celebration is angry. He seems to have a lot of weight on his shoulders or something.

He's an exceptional talent, he needs to be a team player and utd would have a real real gem.
Yeah exactly.
It's like he's playing within himself. It affects his work rate as well.

He needs to forget about whatever is on his mind (injury, confidence or whatever it is) and focus on helping his teammates. Shout at lads if they have a player on them, or need to make a run, or tell Shaw to make the run up the line and he'll cover for him, all that kind of stuff. Watch and take part in the game that's going on on the rest of the pitch.

Take part in the team game and your individual problems are put to the side

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He is a good player, but I can't think of his last good game. I would sell him and get Jack Grealish in, to get that creativity on the left wing would be brilliant for our game.
Thank feck its not you calling the shots. Selling him should not even be a consideration.

alexthelion

That's true. But if he's saying he's been injured all season (and needs surgery), surely that should come before risking more injury playing for England?

Do I even need to point out that they play completely different positions?
They both play in the three behind the striker and are more or less solely tasked with scoring and creating. Fernandes is no more a midfielder in this team than Rashford is.

You can just acknowledge you didn't know the numbers were virtually identical.

And honestly I'm not sure if goals from open play is the wisest card to use when defending Rashford either.

Goals from open play in the league

2019/20
Rashford - 11
Martial - 17
Greenwood - 10

And that's the season everyone points to as an example as to why we're all idiots for not rating him.
Oh look, he's actually engaging now! Much better.

Yes, the penalties massively inflated Rashford's goals last season and Martial was better than him overall. And he also wasn't up there with the top players in the league last season.

Which, you know, is why I keep banging on about improvement. He was better last season than he had been in 2018/19 (very similar stats but he played up front more often in 18/19), and he was better this season than he was last season - more importantly, he was in contention with the most productive players within his own team and the league as a whole.

And that's why I think that if he were put up for sale right now, there's at least a slight chance Roma or Union Berlin would say "you know what? Maybe this guy would be useful for us" - you can keep doing your "everyone says you're an idiot for not rating Rashford" routine, but anyone who's seen your posts can clearly see that no one's calling you an idiot for not rating Rashford.

We're calling you an idiot for making outrageous statements that go far beyond "he's good but we can do better" (a much less laughable view and a very common one on this forum. No problem with that).

... ah, there we go again with the nonsense. Nice job making up your own assist numbers too, knew it was too much to expect from you to actually try and have a discussion in good faith.

Last edited: