Has the fans' protest cost us?

DeGea

I agree with the overall principles of protest because it is needed to send a message.

But, the way it was done that was so disruptive to the point that it led to the initial game vs Liverpool to be postponed AND also led to us having 4 games in quick succession has in my opinion cost us.

I felt that the initial game vs Liverpool when it was supposed to be played, we were in a much better frame of mind. We then ended up not playing and had to play a second string vs Leicester which we lost, and now lost again vs Liverpool. I know it is not the entire explanation for our two losses, but I feel like it was an unnecessary spanner in the works. We have also now lost Maguire to injury.

People might think it is trivial but winning breeds confidence and having control of the little things makes a difference. I really worry about how the players will respond to today's defeat, but if we are not careful we might even lose the Europa League final.

Thoughts?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Cost us what? 2 games that don't matter in the grand scheme of things? I'll take that all day long

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We didn't need to have 4 games in quick succession the league just decided to punish us for no reason. This game could have easily been on Saturday, considering west brom are down, but they decided to schedule it like this.

Also, it's not cost us anything. Would have been sweet to really dampen the scousers chances of Cl football, but they're not really out biggest concern.

spiriticon

4 league games in 8 days is a bit ridiculous.

I only hope the players are fit enough for the next game or we could very well lose it too.

Irwin99

I don't understand why some people feel as if a few games in a season are more important than the soul of the club. Even the Europa League final is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. I'd much sooner see the Glazers out.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Absolutely shocking, indeed! How dare the peasants express their opinion!?!? Back to the checkout basket and everyone add another shirt for poor Joel and the millionaires who play and coach at the club.

The White Pele

The positive is that CL football is secured so the pressure is off the league games and we have a couple of tame fixtures to try and recover some form before the final.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Who cares if it has?

Wider things at play.

We go again for Fulham at home :)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We are going nowhere till the Glazers go.

Once 2024 comes along we will be in the CL 99% of the time under the new proposals and that will be enough for the Glazers. Ita more important that they go that winning meaningless games or the Europa league.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Personally I'm up for peaceful protests, some / most may disagree but for loads of things we have derided the scousers for in recent years we have displayed in the past 10-12 day. There has been a mob mentality which again I may not agree with but completely respect.

Bottom line is, it's an empty stadium so no the fans have not cost us anything. There should be that link between the players and fans. Again, only a personal opinion, we need to be careful what we wish for. When business gets this big, it's always about the lesser of two evils. So the Glazers who saddle us with debt, take their $20m per season and give us a net kitty of $80m is more appealing than some regime who wants to wash their money or identity. #rockhardplace for me at least.

Once we start getting games called off or docked points is something I am not comfortable with.

Deery

Dreary
Of course we could lose the Europa league final it’s a bloody final in a cup against Emery a master at winning it.

It’s up to us to go out and perform to the best of our ability but and Ole to get his tactics right.

MattyB1986

I struggle to think what it's cost us? we've secured CL football, now we have dead rubbers until EL final. OK, Liverpool, shouldn't be deemed a dead rubber. But they must have been more up for it than we were. We don't have anything to play for in the league.

andy0

How much has it possibly cost?

At the moment Leicester could overtake us or Chelsea could finish level with us but better goal difference. But not both, as they play each other. So we're bound to be second or third.

A United draw with Leicester would have sewn up second place already, but there's still scope for more points for us or less for them

Apart from the annoyance of losing these two games, not much difference overall.

There's work to do on the defence. Maybe the shock will help towards that.

Irrational.

The fact is, the protest could’ve waited until we’d cemented our league position and won the Europa.

The timing couldn’t have been worse, coming bang in the middle of a good run of form and just before a chance to put a massive dent in Liverpool’s CL hopes.

This has done nothing but unsettle the players and caused unnecessary fixture congestion at a crucial point in our season.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The fact is, the protest could’ve waited until we’d cemented our league position and won the Europa.

The timing couldn’t have been worse, coming bang in the middle of a good run of form and just before a chance to put a massive dent in Liverpool’s CL hopes.

This has done nothing but unsettle the players and caused unnecessary fixture congestion at a crucial point in our season.
:lol:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Better yet, wait until we win the league. Oh, wait... that's never going to happen because of the thieves in charge!

Dominos

Cost us what realistically? We're finishing top 4 anyway, almost certainly 2nd.

However, if we were genuinely going for a title or were in a top 4 race, then a lot of us would be fuming right now at the fans potentially costing us a title/CL place.

Abraxas

Not sure I really see the connection, regardless of what the fans did we picked the best teams for the games and had every opportunity to do well. I don't think the fans were the ones doing the defending on those set pieces, I would probably rather that they were. I would say the simplest explanation tonight is we did not defend very well in this game.

I would think Leicester is pretty much a game to be taken in isolation, it is unlikely there was much in the way of hangover mentally or physically considering the lineup.

Also, it is worth considering our opponents and the position they were in relative to us. I wouldn't have been feeling overly confident anyway, we seem to have some kind of mental block whereby we struggle to rise for games until we really have to.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Cost us what realistically? We're finishing top 4 anyway, almost certainly 2nd.

However, if we were genuinely going for a title or were in a top 4 race, then a lot of us would be fuming right now at the fans potentially costing us a title/CL place.
The fact nothing happened before the Roma game says had we been competing for the title these protests wouldn't have happened when they did (imo)

el3mel

And the worst thing is, I actually don't see anything coming out from these protests. Glazers aren't leaving.

cyril C

I agree with the overall principles of protest because it is needed to send a message.

But, the way it was done that was so disruptive to the point that it led to the initial game vs Liverpool to be postponed AND also led to us having 4 games in quick succession has in my opinion cost us.

I felt that the initial game vs Liverpool when it was supposed to be played, we were in a much better frame of mind. We then ended up not playing and had to play a second string vs Leicester which we lost, and now lost again vs Liverpool. I know it is not the entire explanation for our two losses, but I feel like it was an unnecessary spanner in the works. We have also now lost Maguire to injury.

People might think it is trivial but winning breeds confidence and having control of the little things makes a difference. I really worry about how the players will respond to today's defeat, but if we are not careful we might even lose the Europa League final.

Thoughts?
Someone claimed he would rather see MU relegated, then remaining under current ownership. So what do you think? They don't care as long as 3 points is awarded to Liverpool. True intention perhaps.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Fans ruin everything.

Can't wait until they're all banned and only affluent and like-minded people are allowed to watch the Super League at Budweiser Old Trafford.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Nothing left to play for in the league vs a team desperate to get CL qualification. Result was a foregone conclusion.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In the grand scheme of things, these 2 matches don't mean a lot as top3 is secure. However I think the protests have had a negative impact on the squad but it is not the only reason we lost the last 2

Is it worth it?
Will the Glazers leave as a result of the protests?
probably not but some improvement in football governance and fan consultation would make it all worthwhile and I think it is coming

Last edited:

Cast5

Fans who showed their discontent for our greedy owners are the reason we lost, they should have bought a replica kit from the mega store and stayed at home posting about how disgraceful local fans are for protesting. Protesters are the real villains in all this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think we looked the better side for the first 20-25 minutes or so, and the team looked committed, seeing Pogba track back asap, Fred managing accurate long passes, even Bailly. And then it went to shit. Maybe they started to collectively think about the protests at that stage in the match, right? And they lost their fight, because, what's the point, the fans are unhappy with the owners so you lose your footballing ability and mental strength, right?

Maybe when the crowds are back in, when the team collectively slumps to shit in a match, the fans should all sing how much they support the Glazers as that's sure to increase performance levels, and we might even get some sponsors signed up that we can sing about, which again, will improve performance, right?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sure it does have negative impact, but on grand scheme of things, it doesn’t effects our top 2-4 standing and its something which has to be done.

JPM#mufc

I'd rather lose 2 dead rubber matches and lose the Europa final than see the leeching cnuts in control of this club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We should be able to get a point at home against Liverpool regardless. Doesn't work as far as excuses to. We had our rest Vs Leicester

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The thing is, if you're part of the protest you shouldn't give a feck about the result or that it does have an impact on the first team. Its impossible for it not to have an impact and it's not a real protest really if it's not having an impact. Doesn't really send a message if you only complain when nothing that you want is threatened. If you protest even though it'll negatively affect you, then you know it means something.

hubbuh

No, don't you dare try and blame the fecking fans for any adverse result. The players are burnt out and are coming to the end of an arduous season in which they came second in the league and reached the final of the EL. Piss off with all this blaming the fans bullshit. Such crap, honestly. You should know better.