Has the fans' protest cost us?

ti vu

Only the Glazers cost us (the club). Even if you leave out their takeover and their reign of chaos post SAF out, they still managed to provoke the fan with the whole Supper League announcement. The protest is just. PL stupid reschedule is another issue. Not the protest.

LoneStar

I don't care if we end up 4th or 2nd, it's all the same. The whole purpose of the protests is for long term changes concerning the club. In the grand scheme of things, these results don't matter, but the protests at least have a tiny probability of making a difference.

Eternitiy

I agree with the overall principles of protest because it is needed to send a message.

But, the way it was done that was so disruptive to the point that it led to the initial game vs Liverpool to be postponed AND also led to us having 4 games in quick succession has in my opinion cost us.

I felt that the initial game vs Liverpool when it was supposed to be played, we were in a much better frame of mind. We then ended up not playing and had to play a second string vs Leicester which we lost, and now lost again vs Liverpool. I know it is not the entire explanation for our two losses, but I feel like it was an unnecessary spanner in the works. We have also now lost Maguire to injury.

People might think it is trivial but winning breeds confidence and having control of the little things makes a difference. I really worry about how the players will respond to today's defeat, but if we are not careful we might even lose the Europa League final.

Thoughts?
Absolutely. The photos from May 2 when the match was postponed. The players were despondent. It wasn't fair on them.

Protests are fine, but to me it seemed like some were/are concerned with disruption and chaos rather than voicing their concerns and opinions. That is not okay and very dangerous.

hubbuh

Absolutely. The photos from May 2 when the match was postponed. The players were despondent. It wasn't fair on them.

Protests are fine, but to me it seemed like some were/are concerned with disruption and chaos rather than voicing their concerns and opinions. That is not okay and very dangerous.
Disruption and chaos is how fans voice their opinions and concerns!!! It's really rather simple. Fans have been left out of the process which results in things like the Super League happening. The only agency fans have is to cause a significant disturbance. Do people not realise that we are up against millions of dollars in terms of finances - the fans have been sidelined for far too fecking long.

Real Name

Maybe but with CL football secured it was all worth it and hopefully there will be more to follow.

Hughie77

Protesters have a right, and it may sway it a little . The Glazers have to invest in the squad this summer or expect another season like this one.
And my take on it is they will not invest as much as we all think they will.
At least minum of 3 quality players, we will get 1

Roboc7

It wasn’t the fans that fell apart because our opponents pressed us and if one game being postponed has such a detrimental impact then doesn’t say much for manager or players.

Eric_the_Red99

A lot of people are making the point that CL qualification had already been assured and so it was the perfect time to protest.

But surely losing out on CL qualification would hurt the Glazers a lot more than losing a couple of ‘dead rubbers’? So if that had been the impact, would you still be fully in support of the protestors getting the Liverpool game postponed?

The Leicester and Liverpool losses probably won’t matter much in the grand scheme of things – but I suspect the Glazers probably care even less about those results. So how far are people willing to take this?

Zen86

A change to our normal pre-match routine probably unsettled the team a bit, the ongoing protests I'm sure is having some impact as well. Not that it's an excuse for yesterday, they were rubbish.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I agree with the overall principles of protest because it is needed to send a message.

But, the way it was done that was so disruptive to the point that it led to the initial game vs Liverpool to be postponed AND also led to us having 4 games in quick succession has in my opinion cost us.

I felt that the initial game vs Liverpool when it was supposed to be played, we were in a much better frame of mind. We then ended up not playing and had to play a second string vs Leicester which we lost, and now lost again vs Liverpool. I know it is not the entire explanation for our two losses, but I feel like it was an unnecessary spanner in the works. We have also now lost Maguire to injury.

People might think it is trivial but winning breeds confidence and having control of the little things makes a difference. I really worry about how the players will respond to today's defeat, but if we are not careful we might even lose the Europa League final.

Thoughts?
Well yeah, of course the protests negatively impact what happens on the pitch. Being smuggled into the stadium like some kind of clandestine operation, and trying to play a game of football with a horde of football fans outside the gates that they all know very well broke into the pitch the last time.

So to answer the question this thread is asking: Yes the protests are negatively affecting the players and the teams results. The fans who protest seem ok with that.

I genuinely question how safe the players actually felt yesterday. And don't give me that "it's not the players we're angry at" schtick. No one can control thousands of people with emotions running high, we saw that the last time the same fans protested. The issue is not the peaceful ones, it's the rowdy cnuts.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
On TalkSport this morning they kept bringing up how United fans need to stop now because it's affecting the team. Surely that's not a reason to stop? The whole point is having an effect, because the passive stuff doesn't make them bat an eyelid.

If anything the team should be fired up from seeing the passion from the fans.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well yeah, of course the protests negatively impact what happens on the pitch. Being smuggled into the stadium like some kind of clandestine operation, and trying to play a game of football with a horde of football fans outside the gates that they all know very well broke into the pitch the last time.

So to answer the question this thread is asking: Yes the protests are negatively affecting the players and the teams results. The fans who protest seem ok with that.

I genuinely question how safe the players actually felt yesterday. And don't give me that "it's not the players we're angry at" schtick. No one can control thousands of people with emotions running high, we saw that the last time the same fans protested. The issue is not the peaceful ones, it's the rowdy cnuts.
I’d say they all felt very safe once they were on the pitch and nothing the United players went through was any different to the opposition.

stw2022

Thousands protested outside Old Trafford. A handful got in. One guy assaulted a police officer.

We need to stop allowing these extreme nutcases to assume they speak for us. Indeed that goes for general discussion too. There's anger at the owners for the ESL and feral discontent about the lack of investment. These are clear, defined issues, justified and if we're sensible, resolvable. That's where I think most fans are.

The minority who want to damage the club through hope that some magic billionaire who they can't name and/or can not provide a single shred of evidence about their interest in buying us aside from 'has the money to' and that we should be happy with anything from relegation to going into administration until their pipe dreams come true - seem to absolutely dominate the discourse online.

I know people who were at the protest for the initial game. Neither of them support the extremists yet the extremists do an excellent job at pretending to speak for everyone.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If anyone has cost us anything it's our dickhead owners. [/thread]

DeGea

Not won a game since the rescheduled Liverpool game. This is not good for momentum, which is key when you want to win stuff.

For those who are asking “how on earth did the fans’ protests cost us?” , the (potential) domino effects are as follows:

1. We had to play the Liverpool game on a fecking tight schedule. Some will blame the FA for giving us the schedule but feck me, we gave them that opportunity to feck us over by creating the situation in the first place. Of course they will feck us over. We should be smart enough not to give them that excuse. Trying to win something is not just about training and tactics etc2, but it is also about trying as much as possible to control the external variables , which in this case is the ridiculous situation of playing a tight schedule.

2. Playing too frequently means players get more muscle fatigue, and are more prone to injuries, and also mental fatigue which can lead to suboptimal decision making which in turn can lead to injuries.

3. Not winning three games in a row before a major final will play on the players’ minds. Winning at this level are often down to tightest of margins - which is why most winning managers are really anal about seemingly trivial stuff - the small things matter and tend to have a domino effect.

Even Ole mentioned it yesterday that he thought the protests have had an effect on the players. Dont get me wrong, it is not the protests per se (fans have a right to say what they want), but the manner in which it is done and the degree of disruption that it caused might have had an unintended consequence here.

What is the alternative then you might ask? A complete boycott of tickets and merchandise will probably be as effective as it will affect the Glazers’ pockets yet not get games called off.

Roboc7

Not won a game since the rescheduled Liverpool game. This is not good for momentum, which is key when you want to win stuff.

For those who are asking “how on earth did the fans’ protests cost us?” , the (potential) domino effects are as follows:

1. We had to play the Liverpool game on a fecking tight schedule. Some will blame the FA for giving us the schedule but feck me, we gave them that opportunity to feck us over by creating the situation in the first place. Of course they will feck us over. We should be smart enough not to give them that excuse. Trying to win something is not just about training and tactics etc2, but it is also about trying as much as possible to control the external variables , which in this case is the ridiculous situation of playing a tight schedule.

2. Playing too frequently means players get more muscle fatigue, and are more prone to injuries, and also mental fatigue which can lead to suboptimal decision making which in turn can lead to injuries.

3. Not winning three games in a row before a major final will play on the players’ minds. Winning at this level are often down to tightest of margins - which is why most winning managers are really anal about seemingly trivial stuff - the small things matter and tend to have a domino effect.

Even Ole mentioned it yesterday that he thought the protests have had an effect on the players. Dont get me wrong, it is not the protests per se (fans have a right to say what they want), but the manner in which it is done and the degree of disruption that it caused might have had an unintended consequence here.

What is the alternative then you might ask? A complete boycott of tickets and merchandise will probably be as effective as it will affect the Glazers’ pockets yet not get games called off.
We beat Villa so not sure why fans and protests didn’t cause us to lose that game then. Majority of players also had plenty of rest for Liverpool game and the game tonight, think time to just stop blaming fans now.