Has the reputation of Man Utd been damaged forever?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Glazers will hide behind Woody's resignation in hopes of people forgetting about their actions. They still want ESL to happen, no doubts about that.

It will take time to rebuild reputation, but Glazers can't take part in that, or we'll witness another heist like in last days.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yes, obviously. Maybe not forever, but this is a big cloud, and we were patently one of the main ringleaders.

TheReligion

Abusive
Im not ashamed at all...if anything the fa, premier league and government should be utterly ashamed, they allowed these owners in. Where was the foresight? Especially with the way the Glazers were buying United. Anyone with sense could see it would be milked as a cash cow.

Why should I be ashamed that a great club was allowed to be bought out by American business men with one thing on their mind?

You should be more ashamed of the way your own club have acted this season from boardroom to players. It’s cost you a really good manager and your place in the league.
Great post

Mercurial

All of this just goes to show these 12 big clubs (and even a few more) are severely in fundamental disagreement with UEFA and their direction at a deep level. It's a bigger fail they have so hugely missed the mark with so many beloved clubs to reach mutual ground and were so quick to use threats to the variety of player punishments (!) and such when threatened at their core. They put out some very nasty threats. The rot is deep, and it saddens me that corrupt and tone deaf UEFA might come out stronger than ever. They have amassed too much power and excert a say over the modern game in a pretty dominant and moneycentric way. We need a reset of sorts back to sport ideals.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
In a normal world there probably would be a negative sentiment for a couple of years. However in this 'post Trump/Covid era', for a lack of a better title, it genuinely feels like nothing stays relevant for more than two weeks.

Counterfactual

Notreally. We've actively complained about the Glazers for years, so everyone knows about them and Woodward. Same goes for Arsenal and Kroenke. Spurs can easily say they ere just tagging along, as can Chelsea and City. Barcelona look desperate, so everyone has excused them, Atletico just wanted to be part of the big boys and the two Milan's want back their history.

Juventus, Liverpool and especially Madrid come out looking worse as clubs.
I think you overestimate what people know about Manchester United. As ardent fans, we know who's to blame. Most people don't. Our club reputation has taken a big hit, no question.

acnumber9

Think all of these clubs will be shamed still. Probably right too.
Depends on what you mean by the clubs. The players, managers and fans had nothing to do with it. It wouldn’t be right to hold it against any of those people.

LuckyScout78

Even a kingdom, country and club are running by a poor king, president and owner. Made damage to it. You need to dislike the whole nation and peoples from that nation ;). You have to separate person poor decisions, case. From the rest.
Even the owner has done some damage. Same as Liverpool owner. But kings, president and owner comes and goes. They are meant to be there. But club, kingdom and nation will be there and exist longer. Even nations and clubs belong to surface and physical things too. It means everything comes and goes. Even reputation. It will exist in your head, as long as yo you keep it.

Everyone how follow and have some knowledge. That’s the owner of those clubs, plus the minds behind that idea super league were more to blame than the clubs, fans and peoples relate to it.
But again. If someone were meant to own some club or president for a country. Then no matter how we blame how poor they are. Then they maybe will be the reason of theirs failure too. Their poor decisions.
Again, if they are meant to be owner, president or king. It’s not much the rest can do about it. They will find theirs path to it. Some last few days, months and years. So maybe this decision to create a super league. Maybe is the end of someone. Those big fates. Many of those manuscripts has already been written in the stars.Like i said. Not much the rest can change that manuscript of someone become a king, owner and president.

So yeah. I have not been a big fan of Woodward. But he got appoint by the Glazer. So he was meant to work under and for the Glazer regime. Then no matter how i complain he was making poor football decisions. It will might not effect Woodward position at all. Until the day. It meant to be his end, just as CEO.
Therefore i was only critical to his football decisions related things. Business I am not in situation neither have knowledge to criticize Woodward. And as person, separate from the football thing. I don’t know Woodward as a person. He is probably a good family man and dad. Nothing in person with Woodward. But sorry if he was poor with football decisions. He will be heard.

So even how much we dislike Woodward or the Glazer. Don’t let anger pull us down too. Because really anger mood lead to poor decisions. We have to separate CEO Woodward from the human/outside football Woodward. No personal attack. Then it is too far. Same as Glazer. Demonstrate on a non violent method. Don’t hate and anger, pull everyone down too. Then the door of Hell is open. Like War. Be clear in mind, even hate and anger is taking over.

So sum up. The reputation are might be damage. Only from peoples whose haven’t seen thing clear. When they first dislike some president and owner or CEO. They dislike whole club and nation too.
Then if some are more clear in mind. Can separate things. The club reputation will be lesser damage.
And in the end if someone are more clear in mind. With a wider perspective on things. Then everything were just meant to happen. A result of many factors and units. Merging and result into something calling football and lately super league. It was a not good idea, factor and reason. Then the situations whose are happening right now. Meant to happen.
Blame the game more than blame the players. I’m not sure about the rules of football in premier league.GB and in Europe. If the owner of those clubs haven’t break any rules of the games and government. Then you can’t blame them to making profit and earn money. Even it was a really really poor decision. Leading some damage. For the eyes of someone.

Again, be careful and clear in mind. If not, we are not hate and anger can make us blind and not clear in mind. And we make poor decisions too. Pulling down not by the objects and the outside world. But by ourself too. Ours anger.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
All of this just goes to show these 12 big clubs (and even a few more) are severely in fundamental disagreement with UEFA and their direction at a deep level. It's a bigger fail they have so hugely missed the mark with so many beloved clubs to reach mutual ground and were so quick to use threats to the variety of player punishments (!) and such when threatened at their core. They put out some very nasty threats. The rot is deep, and it saddens me that corrupt and tone deaf UEFA might come out stronger than ever. They have amassed too much power and excert a say over the modern game in a pretty dominant and moneycentric way. We need a reset of sorts back to sport ideals.
Finally somebody who gets it. It’s not as much about money as about the power and that’s the only reason the UEFA is against it. It’s about who controls the game.

Chairman Steve

Until the Glazers go, yes but I think everyone knows that the ire is aimed at the respective owners rather than the clubs.

The current owners and chairmen of all 12 clubs will have it as a stain on their clubs until they leave.

MehdiSaboori1993

Well the fact that Man City and Chelsea of all clubs have decided to end this nonsense before our hierarchy make up their minds is enough to tarnish the name of this Football club forever! How can we in our right minds call them mercenary plastic clubs when in fact our very own beloved Man United is run by people far, far more greedy and soulless?!!!

tjb

I think you overestimate what people know about Manchester United. As ardent fans, we know who's to blame. Most people don't. Our club reputation has taken a big hit, no question.
Casual fans will forget this and would not have fully understood it anyway.

RedMarcus

Sadly the clubs image has been damaged - but not permanently. Its now time for us to stand together and make sure we rebuild that reputation in our actions over the next few months.

Mr Smith

On a sporting level I think we're OK, but I do think there's reason to be concerned about our reputation on a business level. The ESL venture has represented one of the most colossal business misjudgements in football history, and every executive involved has been tainted to some extent. There's a reason Woodward has resigned. It's now down to the Glazers, who actually put their name on this, and are in big, big trouble now as they've damaged their own brand. Not the United brand (though I think that's taken a hit as well by association), but the actual name Glazer. I think it's that reason more than anything else that I think this may be the first time ever there's a genuine chance of them selling the club.

Kenny Powers

Supports
PSG, Sporting Gijon
The SL Project has shown that the "plastic clubs" are not those you may think ^^
Keep telling you bullsh*t about PSG, respect yourself and the other teams you don't even know the history.

clarkydaz

On a sporting level I think we're OK, but I do think there's reason to be concerned about our reputation on a business level. The ESL venture has represented one of the most colossal business misjudgements in football history, and every executive involved has been tainted to some extent. There's a reason Woodward has resigned. It's now down to the Glazers, who actually put their name on this, and are in big, big trouble now as they've damaged their own brand. Not the United brand (though I think that's taken a hit as well by association), but the actual name Glazer. I think it's that reason more than anything else that I think this may be the first time ever there's a genuine chance of them selling the club.
Woodward did all their dirty work. they never speak, just take. they cant spin anything to the football world, this deceitful masterplan they had has been blown to pieces. I think most of the football world can seperate the club from the owners

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes, but for 47.5 glorious hours, Spurs were in the European Elite.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Im not ashamed at all...if anything the fa, premier league and government should be utterly ashamed, they allowed these owners in. Where was the foresight? Especially with the way the Glazers were buying United. Anyone with sense could see it would be milked as a cash cow.

Why should I be ashamed that a great club was allowed to be bought out by American business men with one thing on their mind?

You should be more ashamed of the way your own club have acted this season from boardroom to players. It’s cost you a really good manager and your place in the league.
The company was floated onto the stock market by previous owners to cash in and other businessmen bought it and milked more cash out it.
SAF made a stack out of it too.
It's our own fault, not the FA's, the Premier League's or government's.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United

Read again. Shamed not ashamed. Christ this wasn’t an attack on fans of any club. This has nothing to do with us.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Depends on what you mean by the clubs. The players, managers and fans had nothing to do with it. It wouldn’t be right to hold it against any of those people.
Of course the owners/board etc

redshaw

I think the stance against the glazers puts a lot of it in good stead. It was an awful buyout that saddled the spending and they've failed to even maintain the stadium. The warnings were loud and clear from fans but football associations ploughed on with more parasitic owners and here we are with the three of most historic clubs United, Liverpool and Arsenal owned by them.

I remember Liverpool supporters chanting USA when the buyout happened and very funny they've ended up in the same boat culminating this ESL fiasco.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No.
If it ends quickly, and I think it will because other clubs will be afraid to be left alone in this "project", casual fans will not be bothered.

Hardcore fans will moan but will still support the club.

Fans supporting other clubs (especially in England) will not have much to say because the whole big 6 was in it balls deep.

PR departments will play it right to blame somebody and the life will go on. I don't think anyone associates club with onwers anyway.

And next summer more clubs will join new SL.

Last edited:

DickDastardly

Nah....who gives a feck?

It's not like i'm going to tell my 5 year old son, "you know what.....bla bla bla, and then they tried bla bla bla, but everybody said NOOuuuuuuu, and then they didn't and now.....bla bla bla"

You know what, i bet you most of us would continue to follow United even if there WAS a Superleague.
Feck that, i love this club, i'd love it in the second division, i'd love it in the Superleague, i don't give a feck.

And i'm guessing that's how most of the fans of the other 12 clubs feel.

So all of this will be forgotten in two weeks or so. Sure, some heads will role, but still, heads of people i don't really give a feck.
Ed Woodward? Feck him. Agnelli? Feck him too. Perez? Feck you.

This won't even be a good story to tell the kids in a couple of years. That's how irrelevant this all will be.

dinostar77

Yes until we get rid of the glazers and hopefully get decent owners in who can get the club back to where it was under gill and fergie.

Yorke to Cole

MANCHESTER UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB, HAVE EXACTED THEIR RIGHTS TO LEAVE THE GROUP!!!! OFFICIAL: MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS

Scholsey2004

The longer we're associated with this venal rabble, the more indignity the club will suffer.

redmanx

Its official, United have just announced their withdrawal from the super league....what bloody kept them?

mu4c_20le

The same way Liverpool damaged theirs. I'm happy our players actually revolted and got Woodward thrown out though

SAFMUTD

All 12 clubs have, only Bayern can take the moral high ground.

I don't count PSG as they are clearly corrupt and have their ties with UEFA.

Bertie Wooster

I think many people hate the 'giants' of their leagues - United, Madrid, Juventus, etc. And this will probably just reinforce that with many. It also gives ammunition to them as it's been pretty indefensible actions from the owners.

But it's unfair if people use it as a stick to beat the 'club' with (that doesn't mean many won't do it). With other clubs with hated owners - Newcastle, Blackpool, Blackburn, etc - it's Ashley, Oyston, Venky's that, rightly, get slated for their actions, not the club ("proud clubs with history, part of the community, being let down by custodians of it", etc).

Apart from the current owners, everyone else connected to the club - fans, current and past players and managers, etc - have been completely against this idea. It would be hugely unfair for people to judge the 'club' rather than the owners.

But I'm sure plenty will - those who use any chance to slate the most powerful and successful clubs won't pass up an opportunity like this. It'll get dragged up just like the 'withdrawing from the FA Cup' still does.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No. Manchester United is its fans. Its soul is very much alive. The owners were scum and this has just confirmed it.

If we get the Glazers out, we'll have our club back!

lysglimt

Scout
If we don't get rid of owners like these - I get a feeling it will be a case of someone sitting in a room saying: I ll get you next time Gadget

Tragically Hip

Without a doubt it has been damaged. Will it eventually be forgotten? Maybe, but United will be ridiculed by rival fans outside the 'Super 6' next season mercilessly and deservedly. We've lowered ourselves to City's level in terms of the perception of buying success. Imagine crawling into bed with that pimp Perez of Madrid after what Ferguson said about them.

And look at the pathetic attempt to save some face with the Woodward 'resignation'. He's trying to fall on the sword as much as possible for his Glazer overlords, but it's too late and definitely too little.

bugmat

The club's reputation will recover. We need to get the owners out though. They clearly don't care about their reputation just their pockets - I really hope they sell (to the right people).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We have seriously damaged our leverage in Europe by resigning from key positions