Has there been a player with a better first touch than Berbatov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
At United? Don't think so. Incredible first touch.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Best first touch I've seen at United.

In terms of bringing the ball with any part of your body that aren't your feet, Saha and Cantona would be up there.

Kag

If I ignore anything else to do with the footballer's that will inevitably get brought up in this thread, for example their reputations, achievements, general levels of skill, and just focused upon catching a ball out of the sky and stopping it on a sixpence, I genuinely don't think I've seen a better player at doing that than Berbatov.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Berbatov gets a little over-rated in these kinds of debates because he was so languid. And the only thing aesthetically better than technical excellence is effortless technical excellence.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
What the feck, this video must contain every single working trick or good first touch he has ever done. I mean, I've seen him for years at Leverkusen, saw him playing for you and well...nice player, but you really wanna argue about wether he had the first touch at United? Instantly out of my head even I (and naturally I can't watch so many United games) can name 10 United players which were better.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I still remember a champions league game, not sure who it was against where he came on at the 85th minute with us winning, did nothing of note and at the final whistle killed a long ball with the sole of his boot and it fell like an inch inches from him. Made my day.

Kag

I still remember a champions league game, not sure who it was against where he came on at the 85th minute with us winning, did nothing of note and at the final whistle killed a long ball with the sole of his boot and it fell like an inch inches from him. Made my day.
Milan, I think? So cool. I do think the point @Gio made about his languidness making everything look that much better is fair one, definitely with this example.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What the feck, this video must contain every single working trick or good first touch he has ever done. I mean, I've seen him for years at Leverkusen, saw him playing for you and well...nice player, but you really wanna argue about wether he had the first touch at United? Instantly out of my head even I (and naturally I can't watch so many United games) can name 10 United players which were better.
Go on then, could generate some good discussion.

botond

only danny comes to mid :( . since berba left he was the best at the team

Distracted Steward

His first touch was special, but it was his understanding and use of space with that first touch that was sublime. I remember being wowed plenty of times with how he'd do one touch layoffs that were perfectly angled and weighted.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I think Van Persie's first touch is better than Berbatov's but the latter makes weird body shapes and is a bit more languid. So the end result is more aesthetically pleasing. Robin is also probably the best first time shooter of all the United players I've seen.

Skills

Snitch
Ronaldo's first touchis also incredible. Not as aesthetic though. The amount of times Scholes belted the ball out to him at incredible pace and it took him one touch to be in a position to attack the fullback.

bleedred

probably yes. I cant find a video, but against blackpool in the 3-2 game, around 40 minutes, scholes hits a wayward pass and berbatov just plucks it out of the air...

Edit: found it, not a clear vid..

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
probably yes. I cant find a video, but against blackpool in the 3-2 game, around 40 minutes, scholes hits a wayward pass and berbatov just plucks it out of the air...

Edit: found it, not a clear vid..

That touch is in the OP's video in better quality, 1.40. It's brilliant.
I like how some of the defenders in that video are completely baffled by the fact the ball doesn't bounce a bit away from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.