Hatem Ben Arfa

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
In a time where no football is afoot, I bring you the legend himself: the one & only Hatem Ben Arfa, ladies and gentlemen :D

I wonder how much Nigel de Jong shuttering his leg had to do with him not really playing at a higher level?

Only very few players possess his dribbling ability, even at the highest level. He's a unique player in that sense.

ashneel

I watched him as a kid at Clairefontaine.. He was miles better than Benzema or any french talent at that time. He even got offers from Man Utd. His skills even as a kis were outrageous. The only thing he lacked was maturity.. too good, too young. He flourished professionally under few managers.. Puel was one of them I guess. Even before joining PSG recently, he had a great season. In the cases where 'could have been' together with Ravel Morisson

thepolice123

In a time where no football is afoot, I bring you the legend himself: the one & only Hatem Ben Arfa, ladies and gentlemen :D

I wonder how much Nigel de Jong shuttering his leg had to do with him not really playing at a higher level?

Only very few players possess his dribbling ability, even at the highest level. He's a unique player in that sense.
He lacked the professionalism to make it at the very top. I remember when he signed for PSG he showed like 7kg overweight. He literally ballooned.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Remember when Pardew signed him and a feckload of other French duds and Newcastle fans genuinely thought they could break into the top 4.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
He lacked the professionalism to make it at the very top. I remember when he signed for PSG he showed like 7kg overweight. He literally ballooned.
You know you're going to be competing for places with players better than anyone you've ever had to compete with previously, and you show up with 7kg extra weight. Baffling mentality. It's like showing up for your most difficult exam drunk.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They weren't far off. They finished 5th in 2011/12, ahead of Chelsea.
The hype came after that season. They signed the likes of Yanga-Mbiwa, Debuchy, Heidara, Gouffran, Amalfitano and Sissoko, gave Pardiola a new 8 year contract. They thought they were on the verge of something special, only to barely survive relegation.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great talent, shame he never had a career befitting of that talent, but the glimpses we saw were brilliant.

Based Adnan

Him and Taarabt would have been top top players if their mentality and professionalism matched their ability

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Him and Taarabt would have been top top players if their mentality and professionalism matched their ability
There are a lot of players that lack that mental strength and/or commitment at the very top level. Talent only goes so far when everyone who is playing at the very top is supremely talented as well. The remainder is hard work, drive and determination. Wilshere was a great naturally gifted footballer, enjoyed the party celebrity lifestyle more than football it seemed.

I guess you could say some players have so much drive and determination they make it at the top level despite being a bit limited talent wise. Someone like a Kane springs to mind.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I read the BBC interview Kolo Toure, "If Yaya had my work, with his talent, he would win the Ballon d’Or."
But quite different from Taarabt and Ben Arfa I think Yaya more of lack of drive (like Hazard). Yaya was the best penalty taker (100% CR), but never really fight to be the main taker (bar one or two seasons), so was his free kicks.