Hating Lingard

Hayton

His New Year’s Eve Twitter video is one reason why he is disliked

POF

And I think you might be, considering the overzealous and over generous assessment of a starting forward that offers 5 goals in 35 matches. He’ll be 27 at the end of the year. He’s not a youngster. He’s not gonna get any better. He had a purple patch, that is all.

But why don’t you tell all of us who he replaces in any top six side? Starter or squad rotation. Any player at all in any top six team. Go.
How about one from all of them:
Phil Foden, Adam Lallana, Moussa Sissoko, Ross Barkley, Alex Iwobi, Juan Mata.

I don't think Lingard is a superstar in any shape or form. I don't think he should be a first choice player. But of the front 6 options the club should look to replace Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku before they even consider letting Lingard go.

Funny that, I’d take every single one of them over Lingard.
Barkley for example plays less advanced than Lingard and still has been involved in more goals than Lingard in 300 less minutes in the Prem.
Iwobi and Jesse have similar outputs and both play in attacking roles, both average footballers.

Sissoko is a CM so a strange comparison, Foden is a baby and already looks miles better than Lingard in the rare minutes he plays. (And like clockwork he just scored against Spurs in a rare start).

Why on Earth would you want rid of Lukaku before Lingard btw? Lukaku is a better player than Lingard could ever even dream of being.

Last edited:

Eriku

Other way around bro beans, he a shit player who had a good run of form and has now returned to being shit full time. 35 matches, 5 goals, shit.
What? Dude’s not a striker. Did you not catch that we had four players score ten goals or more for the first time in 23 years? It’s not as if anybody worth their salt will be banging them in, so I don’t see why that’s the metric to judge him by.

Kostov

Barkley for example plays less advanced than Lingard and still has been involved in more goals than Lingard in 300 less minutes in the Prem.
Iwobi and Jesse have similar outputs and both play in attacking roles, both average footballers.

Sissoko is a CM so a strange comparison, Foden is a baby and already looks miles better than Lingard in the rare minutes he plays. (And like clockwork he just scored against Spurs in a rare start).

Why on Earth would you want rid of Lukaku before Lingard btw? Lukaku is a better player than Lingard could ever even dream of being.
Because his name is Lukaku, despite him being miles better option than Lingard.

If Alexis got the same minutes as Lingard i’m sure he will prove to be a better option as well.

opopop

He gives off the vibe of another Wellbeck or Cleverley who really aren't good enough for the team, are seemingly eternally young kids and have a purple patch that matters more than the 100 games they don't perform in.

Dobz06

He is just not good enough in my eyes to be a manchester United player. He is in his prime and should be getting involved more now.

hobbers

It's fair to say Lingard doesn't need shipping out like Mata or Sanchez do.

But he shouldnt be anywhere near the first team of Manchester United. He's just about good enough to be starting in league cup games. The replacement(s) for Mata and Sanchez should be keeping Lingard a mile away from starting quarter finals against Barca.

And if that isn't the case we might as well give up on the idea of being a top four side. Because we're not worthy of even having that aim, let alone winning the league, if players like Lingard, Mata, Young etc are starting for us.

POF

Just because of the priorities in the squad. Lukaku's role in the squad needs to be filled by a top class striker who suits the style of play the team want to play. He's a £75m striker being paid more than double what Lingard is on and he can't get in the team. He's also making noises about moving to every league under the sun because he lost his place under Ole.

Lingard is a local lad, came through the academy and won't get restless sitting on the bench for months, but will continue to be a positive influence in the group and when he gets a chance will give absolutely everything he has. You need players like that in the squad.

With Rashford being able to play across the front line, a top class centre forward is key for United. If they sign one it will be in place of Lukaku. If they sign a new winger or number 10 it will be in place of Mata or Sanchez and in addition to Lingard. I'd be shocked if Lingard doesn't outlast Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku at United by many years.

Is Lingard a better player than Lukaku? Of course not. But there's more to building a top class squad than finding the best 25 players.

SaintMuppet

That video on the bus has forever fixed him in my mind as a grade A twat.

He will have to do something very special to erase that.

Tony247

Lingard is championship player. Can't overlook his mediocracy because he is academy.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Our current manager was an "excellent" squad player. Teddy Sheringham was an excellent squad player. Mahrez at City is an excellent squad player.
yep. Mahrez is so 'excellent' he has played one more game than Lingard in the EPL this year and is just 2 goals ahead So much for 'being excellent as a squad player".....

yep. Mahrez is so 'excellent' he has played one more game than Lingard in the EPL this year and is just 2 goals ahead So much for 'being excellent as a squad player".....
There’s being deliberately obtuse and then there’s this @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber, if a former PFA PPOTY isn’t an excellent squad option, especially when compared to Jesse fecking Lingard then what is?

Should we just ignore that Mahrez PL output quite simply shits all over Lingards for the sake of trying to call Jesse an excellent squad option?

As for “played one more game”, he’s actually played 250 minutes less than Lingard, but that’s all irrelevant anyway, City are a much better attacking side and our eyes can tell us much more than the stats, such as Mahrez is a miles better and more dangerous footballer than Jesse Lingard.

Last edited:

Reddy Rederson

What? Dude’s not a striker. Did you not catch that we had four players score ten goals or more for the first time in 23 years? It’s not as if anybody worth their salt will be banging them in, so I don’t see why that’s the metric to judge him by.
Dudes not a striker but is part of a three man forward line up. He doesn’t link up, he does run anymore, he does do feck all. Or have you all been watching our games with your eyes closed?

Reddy Rederson

I don't think Lingard is a superstar in any shape or form. I don't think he should be a first choice player. But of the front 6 options the club should look to replace Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku before they even consider letting Lingard go.
:lol: How about not a single one of them. Not a single ducking one. Mata as poor as he is, shits all over Lingard. Time to put the social media toys down and look at Lingard for the player that he is. Outside of his purple patch he’s done feck all. He’s got a baby face that fools people,into thinking he’s still a prospect, he’s not. He should be entering his peak years and is no better than he was when he got his start. Thinking Jesse Lingard is good enough is the very thinking that’s kept us fighting for 6th for so many years.

Eriku

Dudes not a striker but is part of a three man forward line up. He doesn’t link up, he does run anymore, he does do feck all. Or have you all been watching our games with your eyes closed?
He’s had a bad patch lately, he’s not the only one, but Lingard has demonstrated his value and hyperbolic nonsense like he should be chucked out of the club is just stupid. People delusional enough to dismiss the fact that LvG, Mourinho and now Ole see his worth to the squad can go ahead and believe they know more.

For the record, I do think of him as a squad player for United. I’d want an upgrade in the first XI.

Reddy Rederson

He’s had a bad patch lately, he’s not the only one, but Lingard has demonstrated his value and hyperbolic nonsense like he should be chucked out of the club is just stupid. People delusional enough to dismiss the fact that LvG, Mourinho and now Ole see his worth to the squad can go ahead and believe they know more.

For the record, I do think of him as a squad player for United. I’d want an upgrade in the first XI.
No, he had a good patch a while ago. He was shit before and he’s returned to being shit. Your argument also fits Fellaini. Was he good enough? Remember, he got far with Belgium during the World Cup too. He must be amazing, right?

hobbers

Would Lingard stand out if he played in the championship? Would he look out of place?

Eriku

No, he had a good patch a while ago. He was shit before and he’s returned to being shit. Your argument also fits Fellaini. Was he good enough? Remember, he got far with Belgium during the World Cup too. He must be amazing, right?
Fellaini didn’t help our general style of play, he was good when you need a target to play long. Completely different.

And no, Lingard had had several good patches and been serviceable for most of the periods where hasn’t been scoring. Why does it always have to be shit or awesome?

Bojan11

Fellaini didn’t help our general style of play, he was good when you need a target to play long. Completely different.

And no, Lingard had had several good patches and been serviceable for most of the periods where hasn’t been scoring. Why does it always have to be shit or awesome?
Servicable, what does that mean?

You either score or assist especially when you part of a front three for one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He does nothing. Pointless comparing to Park. Park was a better player and Fergie got more out of players.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I like his personality. He’s a great lad. Has shown flickers of a breakthrough a few times, but seems to have stalled. There’s kind of a malaise around a few United players, Martial is another - they spark and fade. I loved his joyful celebrations. I wish him well.
What's up with that statement and this thread in general? Is he leaving?

Eriku

Servicable, what does that mean?

You either score or assist especially when you part of a front three for one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He does nothing. Pointless comparing to Park. Park was a better player and Fergie got more out of players.
Where was I talking about Park? I’ll agree he was better, but so what? We’re not back in the day, Ole is working with what he’s got, and Lingard being replaced should not be anywhere near the top of the list with regards to how we improve the squad.

Serviceable means he presses (not the last couple of matches, not sure why), he offers passing outlets, he doesn’t stand out but he’s not a liability. Some days that’s fine, other days that’s not good enough, but it’s not absolute shit and it’s not an indication that he needs to be replaced in the squad, especially when you keep in mind that he’s had really good runs under all the managers who he’s played under.

And just because you’re in a forward three doesn’t mean you’ve failed if you haven’t scored or assisted. Stats of just one player is a lousy way of analysing whether they’ve played a good part in a team win. Ole himself has stated, and I agree, that formations are just numbers, and you try to create options and patterns for your teammates and that’s what matters. No amount of simplistic reasoning throws out the fact that Lingard has done well for us in the post-Fergie era.

No amount of simplistic reasoning throws out the fact that Lingard has done well for us in the post-Fergie era.
Very few players have “done well” for us in the post Fergie era, most sadly haven’t been up to the enormous task of being a Manchester United player.
To consider that Lingard has done well for us is surely a big part of the reason we’ve been so average for so many years now? I mean, I’d argue that Fellaini did way more for United in the post Fergie era.

Eriku

Very few players have “done well” for us in the post Fergie era, most sadly haven’t been up to the enormous task of being a Manchester United player.
To say Lingard has done well for us is surely a big part of the reason we’ve been so average for so many years now?
All things are relative... but it makes no sense to slate people in this squad for not being as good as Rio or Wazza. I am talking from a squad perspective, too. I’m quite clear on the fact that we ought to have a better option for Lingard’s position.

All things are relative... but it makes no sense to slate people in this squad for not being as good as Rio or Wazza. I am talking from a squad perspective, too. I’m quite clear on the fact that we ought to have a better option for Lingard’s position.
It’s not about being a Wazza or Rio though, it’s about being a Park/Nani/Valencia, Lingard wouldn’t have made the bench through the majority of the SAF era.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That video on the bus has forever fixed him in my mind as a grade A twat.

He will have to do something very special to erase that.
I thought this too. Never grew fond of him after such unprofessional-ism. You're travelling to a game and are wearing club colours. Be professional and not act like some prat on MTV.

City players would never do something like that, barring Mendy who Pep doesn't take any shit from anyway.

Eriku

It’s not about being a Wazza or Rio though, it’s about being a Park/Nani/Valencia, Lingard wouldn’t have made the bench through the majority of the SAF era.
There are players from the Fergie era who would wilt if they were thrown into this squad, his squads were fully furnished with the will to run through walls to win (after his initial clear-out and transformation, I mean). I’m not sure we can say anything conclusive about how Lingard would do back in the day, or how effective Park would be today. We thought we were getting something far better than we did with Sanchez, did we not?

There are players from the Fergie era who would wilt if they were thrown into this squad, his squads were fully furnished with the will to run through walls to win (after his initial clear-out and transformation, I mean).
It’s a fair point that, but then we end up looking back at the stats and he simply doesn’t score or assist at any rate that can be considered acceptable for a side like Manchester United, I’d say even moreso now than during the SAF years when others in the machine could take the burden.

You mention Sanchez who most people would throw on the first flight out of Manchester, but even this season he still out performs Lingard per minute, being involved in a goal every 195ish minutes compared to Lingard at 215 mins per contribution.
And my eyes tell me much more, he’s still weak, easily shrugged off the ball, barely ever tries a creative pass, never faces up someone one on one.

Litch

He's playing at his level which is a side in 6th. If we are challenging for 1st, you could argue 70% of the players wouldn't be here either as if they were, it's arguable that we wouldn't be challenging for 1st anyway....

Eriku

It’s a fair point that, but then we end up looking back at the stats and he simply doesn’t score or assist at any rate that can be considered acceptable for a side like Manchester United, I’d say even moreso now than during the SAF years when others in the machine could take the burden.
Fair enough. My view is that a local lad who doesn’t sulk or whine shouldn’t be among the first we ship out. If Ole gets a couple of good signings and generally raises the standards, I would love it if the squad got to the level that I’d say «sorry, but you don’t cut it».

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
There’s being deliberately obtuse and then there’s this @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber, if a former PFA PPOTY isn’t an excellent squad option, especially when compared to Jesse fecking Lingard then what is?
Says a clown who rubbished a player, citing one who as a squad player is performing no better than him. In spite of having the ability to be POTY. Pretty much rubbishing the idiotic notion the player you are so eager to bash is entirely being rubbish and doing nothing.

And you freaking dare to call someone obtuse? You bloody have no clue about the meaning of the word...

Says a clown who rubbished a player, citing one who as a squad player is performing no better than him. In spite of having the ability to be POTY. Pretty much rubbishing the idiotic notion the player you are so eager to bash is entirely being rubbish and doing nothing.

And you freaking dare to call someone obtuse? You bloody have no clue about the meaning of the word...
Calm down Chief, no need to start with the childish name calling pal.

If you genuinely think any manager in the top 6 (or in all of Europe) would take Lingard over Mahrez as a squad option then you’re not being obtuse and I’m completely wrong regarding that.

For what it’s worth, Mahrez is performing better than Lingard in pretty much every aspect of the game, he just has a harder route to the first team.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I like to hope no one hates him. He seems like a relatively inoffensive - if a bit juvenile - man. There are far more objectionable players in world football than Jessie Lingard.

But that is kind of irrelevant to the simple fact that he's not good enough to be a starting player for Manchester United, if we still aspire to be considered a top team.

devlinadl

City are too strong for a proper comparison but looking the rest of the top six, if he really is a rotation option, his competition is probably the likes of Iwobi, Origi, Pedro, Moura...

Reddy Rederson

:lol: