Hating Lingard

JoaquinJoaquin

How is he going to have 5-6 good games in a row when he doesn’t even get to play?

Perhaps, just perhaps the reason he went missing for 7-8 games is because he’s actually not on the pitch??
Well he will start on a Saturday, and as the rule of football generally goes, if you play well you stay in the team. He goes in and out of the team usually because he will have one good game and then feck it for himself by going missing in the chances he has after that.
Now he has a real chance to kick on with some big games coming up and the likes of Mata and Mkhitaryan out of form. Hopefully we see this version of Lingard in these games.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I think he's kinda average, but to demerit his undeniable moments of brilliance, as irregular as they are, is ridicules. He plays because Jose likes his attributes for doing certain jobs and we have no better options right now. I can't say I want to see him start every week, but while he bangs in goals as good as he has on a few occasions now I'm not going to moan about him being at the club either.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's a typical United squad player of the Fergie ilk who when called upon can make a difference.

We still need better starting quality in the CL but for games like today, he's excellent.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Did great today but let's not get carried away. First good performance in half a season of football which is still unacceptable.

cletus7

I was actually quite frustrated with his performance prior to the goal. Missed the 4-0 opportunity in the first half and made a number of unforced errors. He just looks to me like he’s lacking the aggression/appetite to really perform at his best.

The Purley King

Start him as 10 against arsenal.
I think it’ll work him having more energy than mata and mhiki combined.
He can sometimes produce a moment of real class too like he did tonight.

Womp

idiot
He could be a good number 10 for us imo, we don't have any other better options there at the moment so worth a try. He's probably the best finisher in the squad and is capable when running with the ball.

Sylar

He could be a good number 10 for us imo, we don't have any other better options there at the moment so worth a try. He's probably the best finisher in the squad and is capable when running with the ball.
Thought he was good there for us vs Chelsea at home last season too. I think he links up much better than Mata/Mkhi do with our front players. And he helps us apply pressure high up the pitch.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Never understood it. He’s always done more than Herrera who literally gets arse licked by our fans. The guy scored a screaming volley to win the FA Cup for us. He isn’t a brilliant player but has always served his purpose well.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Never understood it. He’s always done more than Herrera who literally gets arse licked by our fans. The guy scored a screaming volley to win the FA Cup for us. He isn’t a brilliant player but has always served his purpose well.
That gave him enough points in the bank with me to last forever. Local lad rocketing a winner in extra time, that’s what it’s all about.

Womp

idiot
Thought he was good there for us vs Chelsea at home last season too. I think he links up much better than Mata/Mkhi do with our front players. And he helps us apply pressure high up the pitch.
He has looked good there more than a few times, was it the game before the Spurs game this season where he looked our best player when playing there? Looked class against Madrid in pre-season too. He's good on the ball, deceptively quick, has a great finish on him and is good at linking up play. He can't do any worse than Mkhi atm anyway.

Fitchett

Scored a wonder goal, provided an assist and covered more ground than any other United player tonight (11.77 km) Why all the hate?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I can see why people get frustrated with him, he shows moments of sheer class but hasn't yet consistently put it together, but I have no idea why he gets so much genuine, outright hate from 'fans'.

A player who scored an absolute worldie to win us out first bit of silverware post-Fergie and always gives his all for the shirt should have far more credit in the bank. This forum gives more leniency (and has in the past) to players who deserve it far less.
I think what hasn't helped him is that clip during the bus incident visiting West Ham. We needed the points, didn't get them, and seeing him act like a hysterical teenage girl is immediately associated with that failure.

That and people not understanding the point and nature of squad players.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The one thing I don't like is the media profile of players. Jesse is still developing. He does earn too much for his output. In his position, he NEEDS to get into double figures for goals and assists and as of yet, that isn't happening. Great goal tonight but he's very capable of scoring. He's just lacking something to take him to the next level. Maybe he needs the desire to be more selfish I don't know.
Tbf in his 2 seasons he got double figures in 1 and this season he already has 8 g+a so will more than likely get double figures again.

cletus7

They’re twats
Amazing what a wondergoal does to perceptions. Dare I suggest that woeful Watford defending leaves it short of being a true wonder-goal in any case?? Goal aside, He did not have a good game I’m afraid and he’s not in the sort of form where you’d rely on him in the next two big PL games... but other no. 10s probably not either.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Amazing what a wondergoal does to perceptions. Dare I suggest that woeful Watford defending leaves it short of being a true wonder-goal in any case?? Goal aside, He did not have a good game I’m afraid and he’s not in the sort of form where you’d rely on him in the next two big PL games... but other no. 10s probably not either.
I’d play martial-Rashford-Lingard
Bet you’d see some free flowing footy then with actual movement

Regalia

One swallow does not make a summer. He's a nice backup when needed but painfully average most of the time, especially for his age. Just another Cleverley all over again. There were overreactions when Clev played a decent game as well, which just seemed all the more apparent because he looked out of his depth for the most part.

Need to be looking to bring in better quality for the positions he plays (AMR/C) since our starters in those positions, Mkhi/Mata, have also gone to crap.

Next week he'll go back to running around aimlessly contributing nothing and everyone will be screaming bloody murder at Mourinho for subbing him on again.

stevoc

I doubt many actually hate Lingard, some go overboard with criticism no doubt but he is a frustrating player to watch. He will have a good game like he did tonight and score a cracking goal but then go missing for a month or two. If he was 18-20 that would be fair enough but he's 25 in a few weeks.

To be fair to him though he's often played on the right wing when he just isn't suited to the role, he's a better player centrally and he has contributed with 4 goals and a few assists this season. So we have to hope he kicks on and finally puts everything together on a more consistent basis. Everyone goes on about his movement but in my opinion he actually need to run about less and put more thought into where he needs to be to have more of an affect on games.

rio's upper lip

Why the feck does the pendulum need to swing so far in each direction after his performances?

He's now the best finisher we have in the squad, an automatic starter at the weekend and the best option for no. 10 for us. If he performs poorly against Arsenal, he's back on everyones transfer list in January.

This places boggles the mind sometimes. Is there no middle ground here?

Verminator

Always the same shite in his performance thread.
"Yeah great goal and assist, but he'll be back to his crap self again, next match."
His performance thread is hardly ever about how he played, more about why he is still "not good enough"

stevoc

Why the feck does the pendulum need to swing so far in each direction after his performances?

He's now the best finisher we have in the squad, an automatic starter at the weekend and the best option for no. 10 for us. If he performs poorly against Arsenal, he's back on everyones transfer list in January.

That sums up a lot of the performance threads these days, the Lingard and Fellaini threads being the worst for it. Lots of people form into positive and negative groups and week by week the exaggerations in both directions get more and more extreme.

Womp

idiot

TBF I've thought he was the best finisher in the squad for a while, he's very consistent in his finishing. I'd start him purely on the weekend because he's playing well and the other options there are frankly quite wank atm.

I also don't want to sell him, he's a great squaddie to have.

haram

Where are all the people who call him Championship standard :lol:

fecking clueless

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
TBF I've thought he was the best finisher in the squad for a while, he's very consistent in his finishing. I'd start him purely on the weekend because he's playing well and the other options there are frankly quite wank atm.

I also don't want to sell him, he's a great squaddie to have.
He’s really not. He’s a scorer of great goals but he’s not a very good finisher.

Womp

idiot
He’s really not. He’s a scorer of great goals but he’s not a very good finisher.
I think he is, in terms of striking technique he's got the best in the squad imo. To put it lightly, if I had to choose any 2 players from our squad to finish a chance, it'd be Martial or Lingard.

haram

He is a championship level player. 1 goal and suddenly he's a good player?
1. Yes, I think he is a good player
2. Even if I didn't think he was that good, there is still some way down the ladder to go before you reach 'championship' standard

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Played great tonight. You can only really judge a player after a run of 4 or 5 starts whether they deserve to be in the team. Same with a new signing. They might even need a season or two and plenty if football to settle into the league. Expecting a bit part player to come into an unsettled first 11 and dominate is silly. It's why we lost in Europe last week. Too many of those players not playing enough matches together. They all have fine attributes but they aren't robots. It takes time and confidence to hit your best form- as frustrating as that can be for fans

Ibi Dreams

He is a championship level player. 1 goal and suddenly he's a good player?
He's clearly not a Championship level player since he plays for us and does a fairly good job. He'd be great for plenty of Premier League teams

Eli Zee

I think what hasn't helped him is that clip during the bus incident visiting West Ham. We needed the points, didn't get them, and seeing him act like a hysterical teenage girl is immediately associated with that failure.

That and people not understanding the point and nature of squad players.
I guess because I didn’t see that video that’s why I don’t associate him with all that.. or maybe it’s because I just associate him with what he does on the pitch. Anyhow, he’s not world class but he can do a job... that is until we (hopefully!!)have better starters and bench players

Dante

Average bang
WhoScored's rating history

Wow, I didn't realise his output was so good for bit-part player. 7 goals/assists in 666 minutes, or a contribution every 95 minutes. For a guy who can't get a proper run in the team, that's excellent. Only Martial (at a contribution every 83 minutes) is doing better. Lingard is ahead of the likes of Lukaku, Rashford and Pogba at the moment. Thanks for the pic!

That's 666 minutes our star players don't need to play, allowing them to be fresher for the big games. And Lingard never complains despite being so good at the role. The perfect squad player!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wow, I didn't realise his output was so good for bit-part player. 7 goals/assists in 666 minutes, or a contribution every 95 minutes. For a guy who can't get a proper run in the team, that's excellent. Only Martial (at a contribution every 83 minutes) is doing better. Lingard is ahead of the likes of Lukaku, Rashford and Pogba at the moment. Thanks for the pic!

That's 666 minutes our star players don't need to play, allowing them to be fresher for the big games. And Lingard never complains despite being so good at the role. The perfect squad player!
Ive always liked him a lot for the exact reason. And I judge him by that standard, and he has done more than enough.

I also loved players like Brian McClair, Mike Phelen, Nicky Butt, John OShea, Ji Sung Park etc: genuine team players who allow the superstars to play. These guys deserve so much more respect and admiration.