Hating Lingard

ReallyUSA

Haven't United always have players who come in, and provide in small batches. He might not be the all world beater right now, but every so often he shows up and shows out.

Reactions: golden_blunder

beycont

Perfect squad player. And that is what you need to win trophies -- a squad of players.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Even tho i agree Lingard isnt very good at football, its not new the over the top and annoying critiscism our out of form players get nowadays in this forum. It seems our fans really hate some of our own players with passion. Weird to say the least

Hawks2008

Has anyone watched that first video to understand his role?
Yes I've seen it, it gets posted on this site multiple times in any :ingard thread as if it cancels out any criticism of him. I don't need a video to tell me what he brings to this team, I can see with my own eyes it isn't much.

He played very well today, I'll give credit where it's due. But when he has one of his handfull of good games a season every Lingard thread is bumped with people saying "lol get mad haterzzzz!!11!". It isn't enough to be happy that your own player is doing well they have to be smug cnuts about it. These same people are nowhere to be found when he plays poorly (which happens regularly). If he wasn't from the academy he would be at a club more suited to his level and if he wasn't from the academy he wouldn't get nearly has much leeway as he does.

Last edited:

R10Football

I know I was quoted in the OP. But the goal he had, as sad as it is to say it, will pretty much keep him afloat for another string of bad performances, until he scores again, thus continuing the cycle over and over. I know we're all thinking it...

Viral United

1) Most people didn't get concept of squad player.
2) Our fans has problem with his 100K reported salary.
3) His Instagram videos, lots of fans have problem with that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What Lingard did tonight is exactly what I expect from a Manchester United squad player. If he can do that more often, there would be no issues.
You're mad :lol:

I could understand not liking him so much if he played a lot but he doesn't. A poster said it best, he is "innofensive". Squad players like that are always needed in any team.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I know I was quoted in the OP. But the goal he had, as sad as it is to say it, will pretty much keep him afloat for another string of bad performances, until he scores again, thus continuing the cycle over and over. I know we're all thinking it...
No, only those who haven't got a clue what they're talking about think that, Try and think past the Dab, we've all been young.....

OohAahMartial

Cheers! Always been around but the United forum is hard to read nowadays.
I've practically given up on the forum...after 20 years. @Raoul @Niall I know you've been trying hard to get more new posters on the forum but it's seriously time for a mass cull because the place has got as bad as RAWK of late and it will drive away all the decent posters. Half the poster's I seriously doubt are even United fans. Quite simply, if someone starts attacking a United player or our manager in a way that if an oppo fan did that in the street he would get lynched by Reds then that should be bannable by itself.

Shamshi

I have been really critical of him as you can see by some of my posts but maybe it's time to give him a run of games as our 10. I think he is doing better than Mata or Mkhi atm.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think yesterday perfectly sums up Lingaard: Buzzes around a lot and looks kinda useless at times, then he does something completely world class like scoring a screamer from 25 yards or dribbling and scoring from his own half :lol:

I like him. Some of his social media antics are a bit stupid imo, but he seems like a genuinely nice lad and has not complained at all over his squad role.

el3mel

I don't hate him, but all the criticism he got and will get later is justified IMO.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I really can't work out why you don't like this thread.
:lol:

FWIW I don't really like Lingard as a person so to say, ever since those antics when our bus was attacked against WHU he came across as an idiot to me and the image has been hard to delete from my head. However, as a player he's never shown anything other than pure professionalism as far as I'm concerned, always works his ass off, isn't half as terrible as people would like to paint him and I don't really mind him as a squad player, you need those.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've practically given up on the forum...after 20 years. @Raoul @Niall I know you've been trying hard to get more new posters on the forum but it's seriously time for a mass cull because the place has got as bad as RAWK of late and it will drive away all the decent posters. Half the poster's I seriously doubt are even United fans. Quite simply, if someone starts attacking a United player or our manager in a way that if an oppo fan did that in the street he would get lynched by Reds then that should be bannable by itself.
You joined in 2016?

redmanc

Lingard is a quality squad player, the problem some united fans have is they don't realise he is surrounded by players who are either mediocre or also squad player quality and when combined in the starting 11 they all look a bit shit at times, and oddly the brunt of their criticism falls on him. If any of the squad players deserve to be here its Lingard and not just because he's local but he's also got good relationships with some of the bigger names (converts well on the pitch) but also he gives a feck, you can see it in his performances.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don't get it ! I think he's a really good player. As a squad player I think he's a great option to have. He's extremely intelligent in his movement and capable of scoring brilliant goals.

When I look at how players like Park, who literally offered nothing more than work rate, are remembered I can only assume the issues lie in his personality. That people don't like his personality so it influences their opinion of his ability

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
TBH he offers more to the team than Mkhitaryan, because even when he has a crap game he still offers movement and workrate. Whereas Micky is just a lump of coal if he's having an off day.

I've always said you've got to have squad players who are capable of a certain amount of quality, and ready to put in a shift. It took Park years to win over the doubters. Jesse is that type of player. He's getting better as he matures too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't get it ! I think he's a really good player. As a squad player I think he's a great option to have. He's extremely intelligent in his movement and capable of scoring brilliant goals.

When I look at how players like Park, who literally offered nothing more than work rate, are remembered I can only assume the issues lie in his personality. That people don't like his personality so it influences their opinion of his ability
That's one of the more absurd statements I've seen in a long time. Gary Neville has even said what an underrated player he was.

Kostov

You seem genuinely upset every time someone criticises Lingard. Are you related to him or something?
He is probably his mum and been waiting to make this thread since the Swansea match when he scored his last two goals.

Why is any kind of criticism described as hate on here? Hate is such a strong word, I've never hated and never will hate a United player.

Oscie

Do you think it’s justified to call him a championship level player?
Personally, probably not. That said I think the majority of his performances don't really justify him being a player for a 'top four' Premier League team either.

The problem when it comes to the discussion about Lingard is that the ground rules seem to be that you have to accept that his average/invisible performances don't exist.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He is probably his mum and been waiting to make this thread since the Swansea match when he scored his last two goals.

Why is any kind of criticism described as hate on here? Hate is such a strong word, I've never hated and never will hate a United player.
Aren't you the one who said that Gomes could be put in place of Lingard and we wouldn't see a difference?

That's a stupid statement and the criticism that Geebs had in mind when he created this thread. Constructive and fair criticism is okay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Try reading some of the threads and you will see. Genuine hate

Shark

@NotShark
You're mad :lol:

I could understand not liking him so much if he played a lot but he doesn't. A poster said it best, he is "innofensive". Squad players like that are always needed in any team.
Please see my post after this. I wasn’t saying that he should be scoring goals like that anywhere near regularly. I meant that a squad player that plays for United still needs to be of a standard that he can help us complete in title races. Not a squad player that’s just there for numbers.

Oscie

Bollocks. Every player gets criticism. Problem is nobody goes all 'protective mother hen' every time someone points out Herrera's played shite. Lingard's performances are routinely poor and people's assessments reflect that.

More honest an opinion than the apparent contrast of 'He scored a worldie!! ALL CRITICISM IS NOW VOID!!', or whitewashing his poor performances by constantly pointing out that other players also may have played badly - which is an absolute constant every time someone in that thread has the nerve to point out Lingard didn't play well.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Some of the criticism aimed at him is way ott and some posters display genuine dislike of him!

For me he’s similar to Ashley Young, lacks a bit of quality but cares about the club and wants to win. Only difference is it’s working for Young at the moment and he’s getting the plaudits. Useful player to have and has a role to play in my view.

I also don’t get the comments about his social media, it’s the way of the world now, he seems like a good laugh to me and someone with a bit of character!

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I don't hate him, but I don't like the player to be honest.

He's basically paid 100K/w and delivers too rarely.

He's not a young player anymore and we shouldn't be too complacent with our players because they're English or from Manchester.

I mean, he provides little over a season to be praised. He as flashed here and there but overall this season's contribution is still poor. Just remember Basel away when he was just running that's not enough.

If he plays against Arsenal, which is very possible, and shines, then fine, I'll start saying that he provided something to the team because this is a big game, type of game where we are playing utterly sh** and still 8 points behind Chiiteh so massive in terms of confidence. So if Lingard makes us win this important game fair (like the FA Cup Final and his goal).

But I won't revised my judgment after only one very good performance. It's not enough for a Manchester United player. That's being demanding

Kostov

Aren't you the one who said that Gomes could be put in place of Lingard and we wouldn't see a difference?

That's a stupid statement and the criticism that Geebs had in mind when he created this thread. Constructive and fair criticism is okay.
Yeah I am the one who said that. And it is stupid looking at it after last night's game, but in contrast if you look at the rest of the showings from Jesse it looks much more reasonable. Lets be sincere, till now games like last night happen for him every couple of months and games like the one against Basel are the norm. He got criticized because he was very poor, and I alluded to some of our youngsters that could take those minutes with greater longterm benefits for the club. Before Gomes I've mentioned Indy Boonen also, I'm not sure what is so stupid if our options are what they are.

Maybe there are some who hate him, I was generally referring to myself. I don't hate him, I'm just rarely satisfied by what he offers to our play and criticize him, like I did with Darmian, Herrera or anyone who has played poorly.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bollocks. Every player gets criticism. Problem is nobody goes all 'protective mother hen' every time someone points out Herrera's played shite.
What? Yes they do.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I don't hate him, but all the criticism he got and will get later is justified IMO.
I agree. He's a player at the lower end of decent, always has been. His stats are terrible, his final ball is non existent, he doesnt provide enough quality. There is one moment of brilliance here and there, but that's about it. But at the end of the day, he's a squad player and as long as he's treated as one, I dont have a problem with him

Robbie Boy

To be honest I don't know why people still have an issue with him: I was a huge critic of his when he was starting on a consistent basis despite being extremely inconsistent. But this season he's turned into exactly what he should be and that's a squad player which is fine.

I have to admit though, he needed that performance last night as he's been pretty poor lately. My issue with him is that he looked so good and lively last night but he struggles to do that on a consistent basis. It was like watching a different player last night than what he's shown the last few games he's played.

He's grown on me this season to an extent and I'm happy to have him as a squad player. Much like Smalling who I've often been criticial of in the past, he's a good player to have in the squad.

I do think some are overly defensive of Lingard, though. I mean he clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea and as good as he was last night, he can have some very poor spells too. I do feel his bottom level at times is ridiculously low. If there's going to be mass praise of a good performance and all the "told you so's" then you have to take the rough with the smooth and accept the inevitable criticism when he has a bad game. This is the second thread of this ilk in a matter of months about Lingard and I personally find it counterproductive; I mean the people that really don't rate him will be more inclined to be overly harsh in their criticism due to threads like this.

All in all he's a good squad player who can be very frustrating but he's capable of very good games too. But some on here take any criticism of him way too personally although yes, some of the criticism of him when it turns to abuse is out of order.