Hating Lingard

manunited1919

Look at Bernardo Silva. He's a fantastic player and works harder than Lingard. When you see players like him playing at United then you'll know that we are going somewhere. Having players that work hard with no quality will leave us mid table.
This.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I don’t think Lingard would even get half as much abuse if he was just a quiet, private guy like Kante or Mata.

It’s the fact that he carries himself around like Ronaldo despite being shit, that’s what really grinds people’s gears.

He has his own clothing line? What kind of a nonce would wear Jesse Lingard branded clothing anyway?

Amerifan

I don’t think Lingard would even get half as much abuse if he was just a quiet, private guy like Kante or Mata.

It’s the fact that he carries himself around like Ronaldo despite being shit, that’s what really grinds people’s gears.

He has his own clothing line? What kind of a nonce would wear Jesse Lingard branded clothing anyway?
This is precisely the problem. His football declined as his off pitch activities became more distracting. He’s not a terrible player by any means, but needs to be much better to justify all the effort spent on self promotion.

Thiagoal

I just hate him as a person. There are always footballers with issues, a lot don't go public with it but his performances have been absolute pathetic. There is no excuse.
He is 27 years old and act's like an 18 year old in his first year at college on social media and even in interviews. I have no sympathies for him with that holiday video in the summer. He is probably the most immature footballer i have ever seen.
I really just hate him and his attitude. He is everything Man Utd shouldn't be and seriously needs to grow up.
FFS you don’t know the guy personally so how can you hate them? Save your venom for someone in your life who really deserves it! Pathetic

arthurka

Well he has scored at least 14 goals and assisted few goals in 2017-2018 season under Mourinho.
Yes he did that might be the reason for him to still be around the dressing room, he hasn't done shit any other year he has played for us, might be time to replace useless players? One ok season shouldn't be enough for a player to have a 10 year career at the club

RedNed77

FFS you don’t know the guy personally so how can you hate them? Save your venom for someone in your life who really deserves it! Pathetic
Agreed, I cant believe this thread is still crunching along. It shouldn't be hard to differentiate between justifiably not rating a player and then hating them when you don't even know them. I'd be happy if he never pulled on a United shirt again, but hate him for it? No.

The word hate is used too much and out of context. (by myself too)

Moonwalker

He has endeared himself to me with his celebration at The Emirates, for conspicuous reasons, so I can’t bring myself to dislike him, much less obsess about him and lacerate him for every performance, tweet or instagram post.

I think the ‘haters’ are really caught in a snowball effect of affective negativity and are just constantly inter stimulating each other, which leads them to complete absurdity and bile that’s very tedious and taxing to read. However on the main point , or what should be their main point, but is constantly diluted by all the nonsense - they are right, in so much as they think he’s not good enough for a club like United.

Tiber

Just because you think that he should be a West Brom squad player doesn't mean you think he is a bad human being.

I don't hate him, I just have no time for him as a footballer.

Ixion

The day he got his £100k a week contract after complete mediocrity I was done giving him chances. Back it up on the pitch or piss off.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fans disliking players and calling them rubbish is always going to happen. That's football and I think we are all entitled to say that someone isn't cutting it when they aren't. It's when the abuse gets personal, widespread and direct that it becomes an issue and that's what we are seeing with Lingard currently.

I already posted this in his performance thread but it's quite shocking that the week after we have had a mental health awareness campaign during the FA Cup on the weekend, there is a ton of abuse/'bantering' to Lingard not only from fans on twitter, but from media outlets and football clubs. The bantering from media outlets and football clubs might not seem 'serious' but when it's on a huge platform like twitter these are the posts that will be trending and which feed the direct abuse that Lingard will be receiving plus the ones that will be popping up on the feed.

I think it was great of him to open up about the struggles that he's been having personally. It probably opened himself up to more abuse from many but it normalises things like that when a big name comes out and says they're struggling and rationalises it for the everyday person that struggles with those things. It doesn't matter if you're a footballer or not - those things will make your work life struggle.

He isn't good enough to start for United, that's fine, I'm not saying he is. As i've continuously stated on here regarding him though the direct abuse and borderling bullying that he receives is just not okay at any level though. I don't understand how anyone could think that it is.

Although I agree with your general point, maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how that tweet is anything serious. A cheap shot indeed but nothing like the abuse he'd directly receive.
Sorry kouroux, repling to you in this thread as I think it's more appropriate than the performance one.

I don't think generally it would be serious, but when it's occuring at a time when there is a ton of direct abuse happening to Lingard, it just feeds into that hatred even more. If you scroll through the comments on that page it's pretty rancid.

Stadjer

Honestly I really like what Lingard gives the team when he plays well, see the City league game for eg. He's just been so out of form for so long that it's beyond a joke. But we are shite and inconsistent........I'll probably (definitely) get slated for this but I think Lingard would be a better player for City. His ability to press and find space and do the simple things well (when on form) would be good in a good team.
He would be better in the City team because they are good enough to win games when they play with 10 players. If he joined City he wouldnt play at all. Why would Pep play Lingard when he has Kevin de Bruyne, Mahrez, Silva 1, Silva 2 and Foden? Pep also loves technical football... no way a player who is praised for running a lot will ever get into a Pep team. City doesnt play on the counter and their players dont have much space or time when they receive te ball. To play well in a tactic like that you need to think quick and have excellent technical ability. I dont know if Lingard is a quick thinker on the pitch but i do know he doesnt have the technical ability to excel in a City-like team.

RUCK4444

Was gutted to see the way his career was headed here. When he had that good season I thought he looked like a great little player, since his bumper contract and personal/family issues he's turned into the most invisible player I can ever remember seeing on the pitch for us.

I mean can anybody think of a player that was more anonymous for us on the pitch? Sometimes 30 minutes can pass and you think to yourself, where the feck is Jesse!? Then you look harder and he's there alright, running about exerting about as much influence as a crane fly.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
While our commitment to youth is extremely positive and sustainable, Lingard is an example of it hurting us badly. Can’t wait to see him leave. Nothing against him personally, seems like a good guy but that is totally irrelevant.

Alabaster Codify7

Hopefully this Raiola stuff is Lingard giving the club the middle finger knowing he's leaving. A parting shot if you like.

Bojan11

Fans disliking players and calling them rubbish is always going to happen. That's football and I think we are all entitled to say that someone isn't cutting it when they aren't. It's when the abuse gets personal, widespread and direct that it becomes an issue and that's what we are seeing with Lingard currently.

I already posted this in his performance thread but it's quite shocking that the week after we have had a mental health awareness campaign during the FA Cup on the weekend, there is a ton of abuse/'bantering' to Lingard not only from fans on twitter, but from media outlets and football clubs. The bantering from media outlets and football clubs might not seem 'serious' but when it's on a huge platform like twitter these are the posts that will be trending and which feed the direct abuse that Lingard will be receiving plus the ones that will be popping up on the feed.

I think it was great of him to open up about the struggles that he's been having personally. It probably opened himself up to more abuse from many but it normalises things like that when a big name comes out and says they're struggling and rationalises it for the everyday person that struggles with those things. It doesn't matter if you're a footballer or not - those things will make your work life struggle.

He isn't good enough to start for United, that's fine, I'm not saying he is. As i've continuously stated on here regarding him though the direct abuse and borderling bullying that he receives is just not okay at any level though. I don't understand how anyone could think that it is.

Sorry kouroux, repling to you in this thread as I think it's more appropriate than the performance one.

I don't think generally it would be serious, but when it's occuring at a time when there is a ton of direct abuse happening to Lingard, it just feeds into that hatred even more. If you scroll through the comments on that page it's pretty rancid.
Bullying?

Nah. He’s been give a far too easy ride by the media. Some who keep calling him young and he’s some how tricked them his age. I never seen anyone call him out in the studio for his shocking performances.

The reason why he’s getting the piss taken out of him is because of his attitude. If he scored vs your team he would do a silly dance just to rub it in your face. Now when he’s not delivering everyone’s going to have a laugh at his expense just like he was with his celebrations.

Yeah he’s had personal issues. But the guy doesn’t help himself. Launching clothing lines before big games, trying to be a youtuber and all the other social media shit he tries. When really he should stick to focusing on his day job. Now he’s working with agent who hates the club. He’s not really helping himself.

Him being bad is one thing. The worst thing is he just hides. He doesn’t want the ball and the first thing always when he gets the ball is to pass it back. It’s just a cowards mentality. He deserves stick for that. He never wants to look up and see what’s on he’s just happy to pass it back. He’s stealing a living and I have no sympathy regarding that as a footballer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bullying?

Nah. He’s been give a far too easy ride by the media. Some who keep calling him young and he’s some how tricked them his age. I never seen anyone call him out in the studio for his shocking performances.

The reason why he’s getting the piss taken out of him is because of his attitude. If he scored vs your team he would do a silly dance just to rub it in your face. Now when he’s not delivering everyone’s going to have a laugh at his expense just like he was with his celebrations.

Yeah he’s had personal issues. But the guy doesn’t help himself. Launching clothing lines before big games, trying to be a youtuber and all the other social media shit he tries. When really he should stick to focusing on his day job. Now he’s working with agent who hates the club. He’s not really helping himself.

Him being bad is one thing. The worst thing is he just hides. He doesn’t want the ball and the first thing always when he gets the ball is to pass it back. It’s just a cowards mentality. He deserves stick for that. He never wants to look up and see what’s on he’s just happy to pass it back. He’s stealing a living and I have no sympathy regarding that as a footballer.
My issue is not with people berating his football ability or if he is good enough for United or not. It is the personal direct insults that are and yes, I do think that it is bullying or a form of it when social media outlets and clubs jump on this bandwagon so you have thousands of people calling someone a cnut.

You're allowed more than one job. You're able to have what you perceive to be fun and enjoyment and still be depressed/be emotionally impacted behind that persona.

I literally stated in my post also that I think people are fair enough to say if he isn't good enough and that is not my issue with all of this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I get you, however when you are in the public eye, it takes a special kinda person to not hardly get abused (Kante for instance), whether that tweet was made or not, Lingard is such an easy easy target at the moment. His football being what it is, is partly responsible but also some humans being assholes.
The line between valid criticism and personal insults has completely disappeared.

Le Red

He has endeared himself to me with his celebration at The Emirates, for conspicuous reasons, so I can’t bring myself to dislike him, much less obsess about him and lacerate him for every performance, tweet or instagram post.

I think the ‘haters’ are really caught in a snowball effect of affective negativity and are just constantly inter stimulating each other, which leads them to complete absurdity and bile that’s very tedious and taxing to read. However on the main point , or what should be their main point, but is constantly diluted by all the nonsense - they are right, in so much as they think he’s not good enough for a club like United.
You know what is nonsense? To be permanently infatuated by a shit player over a stupid goal celebration.

mewnew11

The below compilation shows why we are where we are. Misses easy balls and kills attack after attack.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Apparently, we've had enough:

However, the coaching team’s patience finally snapped after Lingard’s abject first half performance against Manchester City in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg, which saw the Englishman being hauled off at half time.

The Sun’s Neil Custis reports that first team coach Mike Phelan ‘was particularly vocal about Lingard’s inability to follow instructions’ in the Manchester derby.
http://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/01...solskjaer-and-offered-to-clubs-report-211220/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10701565/lingard-solskjaer-man-utd-axe/

Moonwalker

You know what is nonsense? To be permanently infatuated by a shit player over a stupid goal celebration.
Don’t be daft, it was a great celebration.

Also, try not posting hyperbole or stupidity for a day, see how that works for you. I know it will seem like a pretty drastic limitation, but you can do it, I have faith in you.

Posh Red

Don’t be daft, it was a great celebration.

Also, try not posting hyperbole or stupidity for a day, see how that works for you. I know it will seem like a pretty drastic limitation, but you can do it, I have faith in you.
Each to their own of course but that definitely wasn’t a great goal celebration!

Moonwalker

I don't think this is true at all. In many ways, the hatred and bashing is comparable to a very similar treatment of Darron Gibson, who was also (rightly) deemed not good enough, and then not so rightly abused in various cretinous ways. Gibson didn't have a clothing line, got abused on twitter the second he had the gall to write something on there, and was in no way out of the ordinary off the pitch. It's just that he was not good enough and then he got picked despite that.

The phenomenon of hatred is pretty much self contained in an internet community, where people try to one-up each other every week and see if their negative hyperbole can be bigger than the last guy's (partly to make each other laugh). So you get stuff like "oxygen thief" and "Starting Lingard is a sack-able offence!". To rationalise this hatred, any sort of material will be used (clothing, interview, book whatever it may be), but that's not the cause of it.

arthurka

I am sad that we haven´t given his and Mata´s minutes to Gomes.
We wouldn´t have done much worse without him.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't hate Lingard (or any current Utd player).

He can't help being picked, or played too much. What's he gonna do - refuse to play?

He's won us an FA Cup post Fergie, so I don't mind him.

But he should be a squad player, earning half of what he does - blame whoever gave him that contract and whoever keeps picking him.

billybee99

I don't hate Lingard (or any current Utd player).

He can't help being picked, or played too much. What's he gonna do - refuse to play?

He's won us an FA Cup post Fergie, so I don't mind him.

But he should be a squad player, earning half of what he does - blame whoever gave him that contract and whoever keeps picking him.
How long ago was that, just out of interest? Wasn't it nearly 4 years ago or am I misinformed? Does he get a lifetime pass and the right to be a "squad player" forever based on this event several years ago.

hobbers

Lingard is not, and never has been, good enough to be a squad player.

crossy1686

career ending

If United fans won’t even wear it I’d love to know who would? Nonces is probably the correct demographic.