Hating Lingard

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Seems that Jesé Lingard bashing is the new in-thing. He’s the anti-Christ to attacking football, a player who is stealing a living and worse than all other players in the PL. And that’s just the opinion of United fans.

This thread https://www.redcafe.net/threads/worst-pl-players-stealing-a-living.434056/ had some United fans quick to bash Lingard, only in the team because he’s local etc. I’m going to call this bashing Lingardism From now on.

I know i wont be the first but it must be said... Lingard
Jesse "local 'runs around a lot' lad" Lingard.
Forget the manager choosing him, it's a pointless argument because if we leveled that arguement at every post in this thread then there would be no thread.

Every manager has picked the players in the thread; PL managers know more (presumably) than we do; therefore all of the names here actually are playing for a reason and not stealing a living.

So let's bin that arguement and actually just give OUR opinions.

In your opinion as a fan, how does he help this team?
This guy doesn’t understand and clearly no talking to him. Perhaps this video may help.

Talking about 17 year old Gomes in a transfer forum thread, Lingardism even slips in there
He could have easily played the minutes Lingard got and we wouldn't have felt any difference, most probably Gomes would have been an improvement.
Since they don’t even play in the same way, not sure how a 17 year old who is not yet an u-23 regular is going to be better.

Blaming Lingard is a very tedious Caf thing right now. I hope it ends soon, a nothing player who scores in cup finals :yawn:
Well said this guy, he gets it. Fergie always had utility players who could do a job for the team, O’Shea, park, phizza to name just 3. You don’t win things without players like that getting minutes alongside the more talented players or illustrious names.

So, here’s to Jese Lingard.

AndyJ1985

You seem genuinely upset every time someone criticises Lingard. Are you related to him or something?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It’s not just Lingard though. It was Fellaini (a little less so now). People are on Herrera’s case these days. Lindelof hasn’t even settled and there’s cries for him to be sold.

Bojan11

He’s done ok.

Lindelof and Young deserve threads like this. I been critical of Young’s final ball and he’s not a long term solution.

SER19

You could make this thread about any number of players through the years. I'm making peace with the fact that more than half of this site are miserable keyboard know it alls who go silent every time their depressing wisdom turns out to be nonsense.young is another great example , as is the fact that so many thought we were going to get rattled by Watford

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He just missed an open goal, hit it straight at Gomes :lol:

TheOrgazoid

He’s done ok.

Lindelof and Young deserve threads like this. I been critical of Young’s final ball and he’s not a long term solution.
I definately see what Young brings to the squad. Crossing and set pieces. He also beats a player.

Lingard? I suppose that this thread has convinced me that he is the new Messiah.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's obviously going to be criticised because he's worse than our other attacking players. What the feck do you expect?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'll confess I'm not a huge fan. He wears his heart on his sleeve, but he's just not good enough to be here long term I don't think.

SuperiorXI

He's crap... shouldn't be anywhere near our bench never mind starting. If we had a better player who could do his role we'd be so much better.

Home&Away

His off the movement and picking the right spaces to change the front 2 to a front 3 is absolutely a fine thing to watch.

Linga Rd is a better Am than a winger. Martial is a CF not a LW. Don't get fooled by the football they play in their worst positions.

Same with young - young is a quality wingback - its time we forgot about the guy who use do be a left winger/left midfielder for us.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's been crap so far

Kag

Because he's generally fairly shit, largely does sod all and misses glaring opportunities infront of goal on a regular basis (see tonight).

A spade is a spade, innit.

Hoof the ball

He plays in an advance position; either AM/L AM/C or AM/R and has a combined total of 20 goals and 15 assists in 129 games. Outside of the usual "stats aren't everything" argument, his overall influence isn't sufficient to justify his inclusion as a squad player. Arguments for his inclusion from those who cite his defensive contributions also ought to know that his tackles won and interceptions made per game have dropped progressively over a five year period.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I thought he did well for Martial's goal. His overall play has been decent. Should have done better for the rebound he belted straight at Gomes though.

He's still better than Mkhi right now, and it's a toss up between him and Mata on form IMO.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
You seem genuinely upset every time someone criticises Lingard. Are you related to him or something?
I really can't work out why you don't like this thread.

Yeah but Son isn't a local lad.
Nah he's too local and hard working to swap with Kane.
Because Lingard is a local lad and for some strange reason many people seem to think he's a kid. As you point out he's in his mid 20's. I also agree Young is a better squad player. Lingard is beyond shite and is still living off a couple FA cup goals. If we persist with him in the team it'll be no surprise when we struggle in the league again.
Cleverley was shit and was inevitably sold just as many predicted he would be, despite there being many who defended his shitness because he came from our academy and apparently loved the club. Lingard is just another shit player who people tolerate because he's from the academy.
Lingard is better at running and being local, or some shit like that.
His movement off the ball when he walks away is superb for a local lad.
He really is. He gets away with being shit because he's from our academy.
He's absolute dross. If we'd signed a foreign player with the exact same skill set from another league, no one would want him; he'd be another Lindelof. But because he's a local lad his lack of talent is actually defended.
Who cares? He's a good local lad who has crackin' movement.
That's the thing, he isn't. It's just the argument people come up with to justify a hard working local lad getting in to the team. Then they'll argue that we can't have a squad full of world class players, as if there's no middle ground between Jesse Lingard and world class.
Lingard is such an important squad player for England. His ability to run around and be local is underrated.
Don't be harsh. He deserves a free pass for being a local lad and scoring in a few cup games.
Local lad who has mastered the art of using both legs to run. We'd be lost without him

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This is a good game from him, which unfortunately is not saying a lot. Still a better showing than Mkhi has put in any time recently.

In regards the OP, I think as well as his performances, people can be irritated by his personality on and off the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's the guys who criticise Lingard when we're in the midst of smashing a team away that clearly have issues.

Dominant

Just shut up and support our own players.. for feck’s sake. All these Lingard bashing is getting fecking tedious. And you call yourself Manchester United fans...

Jagga7

I've always said it, his movement helps us in attack immensely. He may not be the best or most skillful but he's runs creates space for others.

AshRK

His finishing is poor. Should have scored the 4th for us. Let us not make him great, just a good squad player.

arthurka

Lingard has been better than anything Mhikitaryan and Mata have cooked up lately.. The Caf took Lindelof and tore him a new one and Young has had a torrid time... Fellaini was the anti christ... His wages have nothing to do with him, he seems well liked and gets on with it.. But he is a good squad player and one of our own.. But dont worry we will buy someone from Dortmund to let us down..

Dominant

He brings diddly-squat. Maybe that'd valuable to Jose.
If you can’t see that he had a good game so far today then perhaps football is not for you. Try handball or something.

arnie_ni

He's one of the best in the league off the ball. His movement is unreal, he always picks up space and makes it easier for everyone else. He just doesn't have that top level end product

Reactions: golden_blunder

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I don’t hate any united player but he’s not good enough. He constantly plays what should be attacking balls behind the receiving player, has no pace and doesn’t get the number of assists and goals to justify his attacking place in the team.

Don’t try to make it personal by defending an average player.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He'd slot right into City's lineup that's for sure.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Has anyone watched that first video to understand his role?
You don't need a video to explain what your eyes can tell you from consistently watching him play, he is not good enough for a club that aspires to be the best in the world.

Shamshi

Has anyone watched that first video to understand his role?
I am starting to think that a lot of Lingard supporters have never played football. That video is beyond embarrassing, he pretty much talks about Lingard's performance against Chelsea where we all know he had a good game along with the rest of the team. Sigh!!!!

FujiVice

I like him. He's an inoffensive squad player. I dont want him starting against City in a fortnight, but games like this he puts his shift in. I'm sure Gabby Obertain got less shit than he does.