Hating Lingard

BlueHaze

Played by LVG, Jose and now Ole. What the feck do these men see in Lingard that I don't? We shipped away Willie Zaha for £5m but kept hold of this useless clown?

sam147

His form has been horrible.
Form is an irrelevant factor. Lingard is a horrible footballer. He can finish consistently, cant cross, cant take players on, is weak on the ball and lacks creative vision. Lingards play consists off him running a lot, taking up positions in gaps and passing the ball to more talented players like Pogba and Martial before running to a different position.

beingshe7don

Lingard is at best an Everton level player. He does score the odd crucial goal once in 20 games and then gets labeled Messi Lingard. Unfortunately, we've become a club where we've wanted to replicate the Class of 92 so badly that we've tried to incorporate our youth players in the first team who actually are not even at United standard.

There used to be a time when Giuseppe Rossi wasn't considered good enough to play at United and he was moved on when in actuality he was much better than Rashford back then. But we treat Rashford as Mbappe when clearly Rashford is a tier below Mbappe.

Martial gets treated like he's the best winger in the league but in actuality, he's not good enough to lace even Nani's shoes.

Lingard keeps getting compared to Park Ji Sung because of his work rate but Lingard is nowhere at the level of Park Ji Sung. Park actually started important games for us and always performed at a consistently high level. Park's work rate was unbelievably higher than Lingard. There was a reason why he was referred to as 3 Lung Park.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Played by LVG, Jose and now Ole. What the feck do these men see in Lingard that I don't? We shipped away Willie Zaha for £5m but kept hold of this useless clown?
Because he bleeds red, and knows what United is about. feck knows what it actually means.

Last edited:

quackattack

Lingard keeps getting compared to Park Ji Sung because of his work rate but Lingard is nowhere at the level of Park Ji Sung. Park actually started important games for us and always performed at a consistently high level. Park's work rate was unbelievably higher than Lingard. There was a reason why he was referred to as 3 Lung Park.
Park, while not flashy was (imo.) good in all phases of the game, versatile and hard working. His runs both with and off the ball was world class, especially off the ball. Was a great passer, good crosser... As much as (I want to) like Lingard he s indeed far away from what Park offered.

Joe Sowerby

Pretty sure the United fans who rate Lingard only rate him because he's a local lad, he's a horrific footballer in my eyes, only offers movement and linkup play but that's basically useless when he isn't picking up goals and assists at the same time. Should be a bench warmer at best in my opinion.

beingshe7don

Because he bleeds red, and knows what United is about.
'
And the strongest and most convincing argument of the year goes to........

I have never stepped foot in England and I know what United is all about. Coming through the youth system does not make you an expert of United. Are you telling me that between someone of talent and a youth player, we will choose a youth player because he supposedly knows what United is all about?

United is about winning. It's about the never say die attitude. It's about attacking the opposition. It's about having an aura about already winning the game up in your head before you've even kicked the ball. It's about entertaining the fans with your footballing abilities and performances and not through social media.

Being a youth product DOES not make you an expert of United because Ravel Morrison came through the youth system but was not an expert on United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
'
And the strongest and most convincing argument of the year goes to........

I have never stepped foot in England and I know what United is all about. Coming through the youth system does not make you an expert of United. Are you telling me that between someone of talent and a youth player, we will choose a youth player because he supposedly knows what United is all about?

United is about winning. It's about the never say die attitude. It's about attacking the opposition. It's about having an aura about already winning the game up in your head before you've even kicked the ball. It's about entertaining the fans with your footballing abilities and performances and not through social media.

Being a youth product DOES not make you an expert of United because Ravel Morrison came through the youth system but was not an expert on United.
110% agreed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He’s not in good form, but neither are most of this lot. He rightly became a key player for England and probably will continue to be. People always think the grass is greener on the other side. He has a role to be a first teamer, who when in form will be picked to start every game, but when he drops off he’ll be benched. No harm in that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't know why anyone would "hate" any of our players.

Pretty much all of them have done good things for us in the past - and even if you don't think they're up to standard, there's no need to "hate" any of our players (unless you're 12).

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Having a poor season. Shame, he was very good last year.

Bojan11

He’s not in good form, but neither are most of this lot. He rightly became a key player for England and probably will continue to be. People always think the grass is greener on the other side. He has a role to be a first teamer, who when in form will be picked to start every game, but when he drops off he’ll be benched. No harm in that.
He won’t get in the England team now Sancho is around and then you have Odoi.

Key player? He played well vs the mighty Panama but England’s attacking beside set pieces was mainly pants in the World Cup. Sterling was the only one who looked remotely threatening.

Role to be a first teamed? What does he offer? He can’t assist. He can’t score. So what is his purpose? Running around a lot should be a given. The Liverpool three and Barca front three do it and they much more talented.

When in form? That’s like two weeks every season. So we should wait till he finds his form. He’s not even good enough to be a squad player. He struggles vs West Ham at home, so what’s the point of him being a squad player if struggles in those games?

He’s garbage and wouldn’t get in the West Ham or Everton team. Hell, I’d take Walcott over him.

OlesWheel

Pretty much all of them have done good things for us in the past - and even if you don't think they're up to standard, there's no need to "hate" any of our players (unless you're 12).
Since his injury against Paris (and Martial’s too) they’ve been below performance standards but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t United quality. Everyone was shouting about the Martial-Rashford-Lingard partnership and rightly so as it was working for us. All players lose form, I like Lingard, think he’s a good squad player. He’s scored more than a few key goals for us. Think people need to lay off the blame game.

Wait till we play alexis who in turn plays really bad and then see how folk will be shouting play Lingard.

Hawks2008

He's all energy, has nothing of note to his game and wouldn't look out place in a mid table team.

Oldyella

Form is an irrelevant factor. Lingard is a horrible footballer. He can finish consistently, cant cross, cant take players on, is weak on the ball and lacks creative vision. Lingards play consists off him running a lot, taking up positions in gaps and passing the ball to more talented players like Pogba and Martial before running to a different position.
Theoretically nothing wrong with a forward who pops up between the lines and moves defenders about with a short passing game. Problem is it seems everyone is in bad nick so all Lingard is doing is passing to players out of form, and like you say, he doesn't offer anything else when that isn't working. Ole seems to have a blind spot when it comes to him too which is worrying.

Robbie Boy

Conversley, the people that think that people "hate" our players because they have the audacity to call out their woeful form, also come across as 12 year old internet-brought-up-kids.

john moran

With one or two exceptions being a key player for England does not mean you are good enough for the very top clubs in Europe where we should be aiming . Lingard is not or never was good enough to be at Utd , in fairness to him he is not alone in the present team

OLLY ORANGE

So toothless going forward always looking to pass even with a one on one opportunity.
Has to many bad habits of turning his back to goal and passing to a non creative player.
Shouldnt be any where near in a starting top five club.

Djemba-Djemba

He's an attacking player for Man Utd that starts almost every game.

He has one goal and zero assists since Boxing day.

He's painfully below standard.

El Zoido

I don’t hate him, but when he’s bad he’s totally invisible. There have been games this season where I’ve had to actively look for him on the pitch to remind myself that he’s still there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Up until recently he always had the workrate and movement. That's become a bit of a meme, but he was (after Herrera and alongside Rashford) our most important player when attempting to press high, win the ball back and put the opposition under pressure. His movement also opened up space both for himself and for others when we had the ball. It was seen numerous times that we did play better football with him in the team than we did with our other current options. Of course we 'should' have better players, but the sad reality of it is we haven't over the last two years or so. That's not his fault.

However, since he's come back from injury recently his workrate and movement have completely disappeared. I don't know whether him rushing back from injury the first time did some damage that is still affecting him, whether he's rushed back too early again, whether it's a deliberate tactic from the management to reduce the amount of muscle injuries we were getting, whether it's just a patch of bad form, or whether he's somehow lost the hunger overnight. But whatever the cause of it is, he's been absolutely terrible since his return and hopefully he'll be dropped down the pecking order for a while at least until he proves he's capable of contributing properly to the team.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Because he bleeds red, and knows what United is about. feck knows what it actually means.
Oh ffs

Do you think the chaps at city bleed blue? Do they know what city is about? One thing they do know is what winning is about. Lingard should be nowhere near the starting XI or if people think he does, the Arsenalization of this club is complete.

Ekeke

Its just a lack of character. If he played at his best each week he'd be okay starting, but he doesn't. Its very occasional he pops up with a nice flick or finish.

I will say that this season he has come back a bit more and made a few more tackles, although a few fouls as well. So I think he is trying to work harder for the team defensively. And at times that can make us slightly more solid because he's picking up Pogba's slack.

But having an attacking player that doesn't really do anything except come back a bit and make a tackle just isnt good enough. If he was creating and scoring goals, plus he was coming back and making a few tackles then it would be good. Its the cherry on top, not the whole thing

mad1max954

Lingard is a squad player at best. Its mismanagement of the club to be in a position of when we have to rely on Lingard to be a starter. I mean seriously, what other options did Ole have.

I do think he has a role to play here in fairness, but absolutely not in his current capacity.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Siorac

Lingard is an OK squad player for a functional, well-oiled team where he's only expected to do the simple things - be available for passes, move the ball on quickly, press from the front - while others do the heavy lifting in terms of creativity and goalscoring.

In a team that is so out of form and inconsistent as ours, he's an absolute liability.

minoo-utd

At almost 25 should be at his peak, no progressing from here I'd say, terrible terrible player, never our standard.

Janson

Seems that Jesé Lingard bashing is the new in-thing. He’s the anti-Christ to attacking football, a player who is stealing a living and worse than all other players in the PL. And that’s just the opinion of United fans.

This thread https://www.redcafe.net/threads/worst-pl-players-stealing-a-living.434056/ had some United fans quick to bash Lingard, only in the team because he’s local etc. I’m going to call this bashing Lingardism From now on.

This guy doesn’t understand and clearly no talking to him. Perhaps this video may help.

Talking about 17 year old Gomes in a transfer forum thread, Lingardism even slips in there

Since they don’t even play in the same way, not sure how a 17 year old who is not yet an u-23 regular is going to be better.

Well said this guy, he gets it. Fergie always had utility players who could do a job for the team, O’Shea, park, phizza to name just 3. You don’t win things without players like that getting minutes alongside the more talented players or illustrious names.

So, here’s to Jese Lingard.

Completely agree. It's more Rashford and Martial that are the problem. They are the ones who are supposed to be the threat in attack.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Oh ffs

Do you think the chaps at city bleed blue? Do they know what city is about? One thing they do know is what winning is about. Lingard should be nowhere near the starting XI or if people think he does, the Arsenalization of this club is complete.
I'm pretty sure he's saying it ironically. Adding 'feck knows what it actually means' suggests he's no Lingard fan.

NJM78

I personally have never changed my opinion of Lingard, I think he is bang average but capable of the odd worldy goal now and then. Squad player I'm fine with but starter, no.

Renegade

At almost 25 should be at his peak, no progressing from here I'd say, terrible terrible player, never our standard.
His 27 this year. 100% should be playing at his peak right now. He’d Struggle to be a key player for any top 10 side let alone a team with top4/title aspirations. His way below he standard.
He goes on like his a superstar which frustrates fans too.

Tibs

We need a better option on the RW, Lingrd should be back up. He can be very good now and then, but he's not a starter

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I'm pretty sure he's saying it ironically. Adding 'feck knows what it actually means' suggests he's no Lingard fan.
Id that's the case then i take it back.

But my point still stands for those who are in this love affair with local lad shite