Hating Lingard

Robbie Boy

It might be the least funniest joke ever, too.
What’s not funny is how people up until like 18 months ago genuinely spoke about him as being young. Now they’re having the piss taken out of them. It’s probably gotten old now though but still, it has origins.

sugar_kane

What’s not funny is how people up until like 18 months ago genuinely spoke about him as being young. Now they’re having the piss taken out of them. It’s probably gotten old now though but still, it has origins.
Unlike Lingard

passing-wind

Garbage player end of discussion.

It has to be known that off the field I think Lingard is a cool person, spends much time with the youth and he's clearly an inspiration. I don't care what manner of profession you are in so long as it's legal and just going from a working class environment to wealthy is always worth recognition and praise and no matter what people think footballers do have to commit to work hard. Having grown up in a relatively uneasy area in London becoming a professional is no easy feat, being recognised by scouts is near impossible without the dedication and passion to be driven. This is the reason why you can have someone like Ravel who has been regarded as one of the very best to grace the system but has absolutely nothing to show professionally, talent will only get you so far it needs to be ironed out and applied.

Professionals train daily, likely have to fly around the world every other week and commute up and down the country domestically weekly. A large percentage of people do the 9-5, are very use to comfort and stay fixated in a given location for their entire lifetime. While there's absolutely no problem with this, somehow they use this idealism as a result to discredit the relativity in the work ethics footballers partake in. It's all wrong thinking / criticism at the end of the day you reap what you sow, that is and will always be the case. The only cheatcode to break the success system is banking big on lottery winnings.

On the context of everything Manchester United Lingard is everything wrong with the team. Rashford is about two more dreadful seasons behind Jesse.

lex talionis

Squad man yes, regular starter no.

If I could give Jesse advice, it would be to take developing his game more seriously.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

It has to be known that off the field I think Lingard is a cool person, spends much time with the youth and he's clearly an inspiration. I don't care what manner of profession you are in so long as it's legal and just going from a working class environment to wealthy is always worth recognition and praise and no matter what people think footballers do have to commit to work hard. Having grown up in a relatively uneasy area in London becoming a professional is no easy feat, being recognised by scouts is near impossible without the dedication and passion to be driven. This is the reason why you can have someone like Ravel who has been regarded as one of the very best to grace the system but has absolutely nothing to show professionally, talent will only get you so far it needs to be ironed out and applied.

Professionals train daily, likely have to fly around the world every other week and commute up and down the country domestically weekly. A large percentage of people do the 9-5, are very use to comfort and stay fixated in a given location for their entire lifetime. While there's absolutely no problem with this, somehow they use this idealism as a result to discredit the relativity in the work ethics footballers partake in. It's all wrong thinking / criticism at the end of the day you reap what you sow, that is and will always be the case. The only cheatcode to break the success system is banking big on lottery winnings.

On the context of everything Manchester United Lingard is everything wrong with the team. Rashford is about two more dreadful seasons behind Jesse.
This post makes literally no sense whatsoever

Will Singh

Don't get the hate, I always hear people say give youth a chance so why pick on our youngster JlingZ? He's only just started shaving get a grip lads....!

romufc

I dont think it matters if he is or not to be honest - i'm not sure many players' performances increase by people just getting on their back (wasn't suggesting you personally were by the way). Much better to support them while they're at the club.
It is better to support players, but it comes to a point where fans paying good money to watch United, no offence but this is United and there are certain standards that have to be met.

He has had the support, but he is at an age now where most players hit their prime, he is on £100k a week and I'm sorry but you need to deliver at this level.

Alabaster Codify7

I went to the Milan friendly in Cardiff in the summer and the kids were all buzzing about Lingard / talking about him etc in the stands.

But the way they spoke about him and stuff wasn't the same way they were discussing the other players - it's a strange observation but it was more like they were talking about a 'mascot' or a cartoon character of some kind. Not a footballer for United.

Kids seem to love him probably because he's very responsive and active on social media, I'd imagine he interacts with his young fans quite a lot......and that's one thing I will not beat him with because that's cool.

But he seems to be getting away with being more of celebrity or similar rather than a sportsman.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It is better to support players, but it comes to a point where fans paying good money to watch United, no offence but this is United and there are certain standards that have to be met.

He has had the support, but he is at an age now where most players hit their prime, he is on £100k a week and I'm sorry but you need to deliver at this level.
What have his rumoured wages got to do with the price of snuff, the kid at Chelsea, Hudson-Ahoy or whatever his name is, is rumoured to being offered £180,000 a week to sign a new contract and he hasn't proved he knows which foot to put his boots on at the top level yet.

romufc

What have his rumoured wages got to do with the price of snuff, the kid at Chelsea, Hudson-Ahoy or whatever his name is, is rumoured to being offered £180,000 a week to sign a new contract and he hasn't proved he knows which foot to put his boots on at the top level yet.
Maybe because he is injured.

What does wage have anything to do with it? So you are one who is happy to have had Alexis being paid what he was and deliver nothing?

opopop

I went to the Milan friendly in Cardiff in the summer and the kids were all buzzing about Lingard / talking about him etc in the stands.

But the way they spoke about him and stuff wasn't the same way they were discussing the other players - it's a strange observation but it was more like they were talking about a 'mascot' or a cartoon character of some kind. Not a footballer for United.

Kids seem to love him probably because he's very responsive and active on social media, I'd imagine he interacts with his young fans quite a lot......and that's one thing I will not beat him with because that's cool.

But he seems to be getting away with being more of celebrity or similar rather than a sportsman.
I agree with you in not having a go at him for being good with young fans of his.

Wouldn't this make him basically what Jedward are to the music industry

romufc

Whether he is/has been injured the point still stands.

Why bring Alexis into it?
Well I said Lingard needs to earn his 100k a week.

You said what does his rumoured wage have anything to do with it. It does, you pay wages for someone to do what they are paid to do right?

So Alexis was paid to do the same, score and assist he did neither and was shipped out.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Well I said Lingard needs to earn his 100k a week.

You said what does his rumoured wage have anything to do with it. It does, you pay wages for someone to do what they are paid to do right?

So Alexis was paid to do the same, score and assist he did neither and was shipped out.
Why more than anybody else? Name one United player hand on heart that has 'earned' their obscene wages since Lingard has been in the team/squad.

TRUERED89

I agree with you in not having a go at him for being good with young fans of his.

What talentless t0sser$? Forgot those clowns even existed :lol:

romufc

I'm guessing you've been on holiday, or in a secure unit for the last 12 months then, try again, please please say Paul Pogba, please
Yes because DDG has only been at United for 12 months.

Paul Pogba. - maybe you can tell me why he hasn't earnt his wage and Lingard has?

romufc

We forgetting De Gea's first two seasons when he was piss poor then?

I don't recall saying Lingard had.
I dont recall having a go at Lingard when he was coming up and young. He is meant to be in his prime?

Winmove

so the club basically pay him 100k p/w for being a mascot and to train daily, Manchester United is equivalent of heaven on earth to work at.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah it's hard for me to put into words really based on listening to kids talk but it sounded like the way kids might discuss, I dunno, like a YouTube blogger or something like that. No real discussion of him as a footballer, if that makes any sense? Sort of like "ohhh remember when Jesse did X" and X would be a video or a little vine or something online. If you were a bystander and this wasn't in a football ground, you'd have absolutely no reason to believe these kids were discussing a football player. You would assume they were discussing some online 15minsofFame celebrity or something.

Which for me, is a problem. First and foremost, his footballing abilities and performances should be what kids are looking up to, in the context of football fans.

Bwuk

Posters wishing injury on our own players should be banned. Some of the posts on this forum are ridiculous.

manunited1919

Posters wishing injury on our own players should be banned. Some of the posts on this forum are ridiculous.
A lot of people on this forum won’t say it, but many people do wish he were sidelined by injury for a while. It’s not like wanting him to break a leg or anything serious like that, but a run-of-the-mill muscle injury or something that keeps him on the stands for a month I wouldn’t mind. I don’t want him on the team, not even the bench, purely for football reasons, not hate.

tomaldinho1

Guy should be a squad player, who sometimes makes the bench. If he were at any other club he'd be our equivalent of Darmian until he was sold, single digit appearances every season but well liked throughout the club and likely on ~£50k a week

billybee99

A lot of people on this forum won’t say it, but many people do wish he were sidelined by injury for a while. It’s not like wanting him to break a leg or anything serious like that, but a run-of-the-mill muscle injury or something that keeps him on the stands for a month I wouldn’t mind. I don’t want him on the team, not even the bench, purely for football reasons, not hate.
What a silly post. You would have a hard time finding anyone who dislikes Jesse Lingard (the player, not the person) more than I but to be wishing him injury , no matter how minor, is asinine and juvenile. Hand on heart, I think he is the worst player to get regular starting minutes that I have ever seen in a United shirt but I respect the guy for making it to the top of an incredibly competitive profession, practiced by nearly every human on earth, and always giving his best (as bad as that may be) on the pitch. He doesn't pick himself as the fanboys like to say. I would be very happy for Woody to sell Lingard tomorrow but, while he is here, I will grit my teeth and always hope he can find a another purple patch and help us get back into the top 4 and then, we can hopefully attract Sancho and a real RB number 10.

Reactions: SteveJ

Lee565

How is it that Solskjear has probably favoured lingard the most out of the others and yet he has regressed badly under Solskjear? To be fair to lingard he was a useful squad player for van Gaal and Mourinho who would grab us 2 or 3 vital wins a season but now looks more like deadwood now even as a squad player?

manunited1919

What a silly post. You would have a hard time finding anyone who dislikes Jesse Lingard (the player, not the person) more than I but to be wishing him injury , no matter how minor, is asinine and juvenile. Hand on heart, I think he is the worst player to get regular starting minutes that I have ever seen in a United shirt but I respect the guy for making it to the top of an incredibly competitive profession, practiced by nearly every human on earth, and always giving his best (as bad as that may be) on the pitch. He doesn't pick himself as the fanboys like to say. I would be very happy for Woody to sell Lingard tomorrow but, while he is here, I will grit my teeth and always hope he can find a another purple patch and help us get back into the top 4 and then, we can hopefully attract Sancho and a real RB number 10.
I respect what you say and agree that he is the worst player to get regular starting minutes ever for United. The window isn’t open, so he won’t get sold tomorrow. Ole seems to have a high regard for him, even though he detracts from our football. Ok, let me be clear, I want him in the stands, regardless of how or why he gets there. I just don’t think Ole has the balls to drop him to the stands, but I still wish him in the stands by any means necessary. Is that any less juvenile and asinine for you?

TheReligion

Abusive
This is depressing. He's far from a garbage player and is worthy of being in the squad. The issue we have currently is we are building so some squad players are first team players until we effectively replace/improve said areas.

Lingard is a squad level player, as is Mctominay. They are both worthy of that status and should be at the club.

I think some forget the importance of having a squad. O'Shea, Fletcher, Park etc.

redcafe_reader

We forgetting De Gea's first two seasons when he was piss poor then?

I don't recall saying Lingard had.
FYI, De Gea was voted into PFA Premier League Team of the Year and won the EPL in his 2nd season with us. "Piss poor" indeed.

I know you are not really watching our games and that's okay. I know a lot of young people that didn't actually watch games but just listen to others or read from the internet, but at least choose a good source next time :)

romufc

FYI, De Gea was voted into PFA Premier League Team of the Year and won the EPL in his 2nd season with us. "Piss poor" indeed.

I know you are not really watching our games and that's okay. I know a lot of young people that didn't actually watch games but just listen to others or read from the internet, but at least choose a good source next time :)
There is no point. When you have to justify why Lingard has been coming for criticism.

You know that person has not watched United for a while.

manunited1919

This is depressing. He's far from a garbage player and is worthy of being in the squad. The issue we have currently is we are building so some squad players are first team players until we effectively replace/improve said areas.

Lingard is a squad level player, as is Mctominay. They are both worthy of that status and should be at the club.

I think some forget the importance of having a squad. O'Shea, Fletcher, Park etc.
The only thing depressing is watching him get minutes and to know we are likely to drop points when he is in the team.

redcafe_reader

There is no point. When you have to justify why Lingard has been coming for criticism.

You know that person has not watched United for a while.
Yeah, that's quite clear. At least I hope he will turn on the TV once in a while to watch us...

MaREDcus

Please don't disrespect O'Shea, Fletcher, Park (putting them on Jesse's level). Both Park and Fletcher (workhorses not known as attacking players) have scored more goals than this MUG! As for Oshea, he has scored just over half of what Jesse has scored, hes an F'ing defender! Overall these 3 are light years ahead of Jesse based on their position! to rephrase the above, Jesse is a squad level player for Everton

Last edited by a moderator: