Hating Lingard

hobbers

is worthy of being in the squad.
He just plain isn't though.

He is light years from being at the standard of a United squad player. He'd barely get on the pitch during the season for the majority of the teams in the league for christ sake.

Symptomatic of our ridiculously rapid decline when players of Lingard's quality are spoken of as being equivalent to Fletcher or Park. Lingard found his level in the championship at Birmingham.

TheReligion

Abusive

He is light years from being at the standard of a United squad player. He'd barely get on the pitch during the season for the majority of the teams in the league for christ sake.

Symptomatic of our ridiculously rapid decline when players of Lingard's quality are spoken of as being equivalent to Fletcher or Park. Lingard found his level in the championship at Birmingham.
Utter nonsense.

I assume there's plenty of championship level players performing internationally on the biggest stage too.

hobbers

Utter nonsense.

I assume there's plenty of championship level players performing internationally on the biggest stage too.
There's plenty of championship players who could hit the odd 25 yarder and live off it for the next 20 games where they play as shite as Lingard does, for England or United.

MaREDcus

There's plenty of championship players who could hit the odd 25 yarder and live off it for the next 20 games where they play as shite as Lingard does, for England or United.

Just look at the England calls-up Sven/McClaren/Hodgson gave:
David Nugent
Alan Thompson
Jimmy Bullard
Saido Berahino

these are about Lingard level players

Last edited by a moderator:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We forgetting De Gea's first two seasons when he was piss poor then?
This isn't true. He was very good, but with a bit of a weakness that got blown out of proportion massively and demonstrated just how easily people are led to believe something if enough people say it.

haram

Just look at the England calls-up Sven/McClaren/Hodgson gave:
David Nugent
Alan Thompson
Jimmy Bullard
Saido Berahino

these are about Lingard level players
Clueless.

haram

Are you on Utd's PR team? You constantly keep defending our worst performers on RC
If you think Lingard is at Championship level or comparable to Saido Berahino, you are also clueless.

Winmove

I think some forget the importance of having a squad. O'Shea, Fletcher, Park etc.
Disrespect to compare them with Lingard, those player were a squad player that contribute whenever they played which i can't say the same for Lingard.

billybee99

And you can prove that how?

He was always two years behind with his development so he's still a few years away from being in his prime.
So he's going to have his prime in his thirties? That would be a first for a footballer.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
FYI, De Gea was voted into PFA Premier League Team of the Year and won the EPL in his 2nd season with us. "Piss poor" indeed.

I know you are not really watching our games and that's okay. I know a lot of young people that didn't actually watch games but just listen to others or read from the internet, but at least choose a good source next time :)
I'll give you FYI, historically the team that wins the League has 6/7/8 players in the team of the year, it means SFA, but if you want to re-write history don't let me stop you.

And the second paragraph isn't reply worthy.

hobbers

If you think Lingard is at Championship level or comparable to Saido Berahino, you are also clueless.
The only clubs in the prem that Lingard would have a chance of regular football with, aside from us, are the yoyo clubs.

Lingards ability and output are exactly that of a decent championship forward.

romufc

And you can prove that how?

He was always two years behind with his development so he's still a few years away from being in his prime.
Firstly, I don't need to prove anything to you.

Secondly, he was 2 years behind in development? Messi was a few years behind but he peaked young.

At the age of 26 2 years behind or not, playing in a no 10. role and having a grand total of 0 shots on target in 4 games. 1 assist all calendar year is not someone who is going to hit his prime and score / asssist 10 a season.

romufc

If you don't rate him fine, and if it makes you feel better about yourself hate him, but any argument falls down when you have to mention his wages.

Yawn.
I don't hate Lingard, he grew up as a fan and got a chance to play for United, anyone would do what he is because that is your dream.

However; just because it was your dream and the club you grew up at, there are certain standards playing at United and he is not getting anywhere near those standards.

Why does an argument fall when you mention wages? wages are one of the biggest driver for anyone.

Class of 63

Sourness
This isn't true. He was very good, but with a bit of a weakness that got blown out of proportion massively and demonstrated just how easily people are led to believe something if enough people say it.
There's some truth in that, I spent the best part of two years defending the lad against over the top criticism of him on the forum I was on at the time.

TRUERED89

I know, i've just read, and replied to your PM from yesterday.

Thank feck for newbie restrictions :lol::lol:
What does newbie restrictions have to do with me telling you De Gea won the league in his second season!? Several full members told you the same thing. Perhaps a PM wasn't necessary but thought I'd point it out on the thread too.

Class of 63

Sourness
De Gea was in PFA team of the year in his second season.
And the team was:

David de Gea (Manchester United)
Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City)
Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur)
Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
Leighton Baines (Everton)
Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
Juan Mata (Chelsea)
Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
Luis Suarez (Liverpool)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
Robin van Persie (Manchester United)

Isn't that the one where they collect the votes around January time, so it's more flavour of the month than those who have performed well over the whole season?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And the team was:

David de Gea (Manchester United)
Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City)
Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur)
Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
Leighton Baines (Everton)
Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
Juan Mata (Chelsea)
Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
Luis Suarez (Liverpool)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
Robin van Persie (Manchester United)

Isn't that the one where they collect the votes around January time, so it's more flavour of the month than those who have performed well over the whole season?
Not sure what your point is, that's a very good team and the best team in that season.

No it's not flavor of month award, it's for the best players in the season.

redcafe_reader

I'll give you FYI, historically the team that wins the League has 6/7/8 players in the team of the year, it means SFA, but if you want to re-write history don't let me stop you.

And the second paragraph isn't reply worthy.
I am not re-writing any history there... De Gea was voted in PFA Team of the year in his second season is actual history. Ironically your text actually means SFA in the context of history.

I know beforehand you won't reply to the 2nd paragraph because you can't...

I just love the internet me, bringing people together .... is it too soon for me to buy a hat?
If buying a hat make you incline to watch us more instead of just chatting in forum? Go ahead I think.

Class of 63

Sourness
Firstly, I don't need to prove anything to you.

Secondly, he was 2 years behind in development? Messi was a few years behind but he peaked young.

At the age of 26 2 years behind or not, playing in a no 10. role and having a grand total of 0 shots on target in 4 games. 1 assist all calendar year is not someone who is going to hit his prime and score / asssist 10 a season.
Correct you don't, but don't point it out to me then, simples

It's probably best we don't mention what Barcelona did to aid Messi's development, United hoped Lingard would catch up with his peers eventually, he did

He's in poor form, nobody is denying that, the lads confidence is probably on the floor, but yeah let's forget his 6 goals and three assists last season(which when I went to skool was nearly 10), or the season before that when he got 13 goals and 5 assists, why are you so certain that when he gets his confidence back, hopefully in a more settled functioning team he won't be able to match or even better his previous more than passable stats.

Not my place to point it out but he's not actually playing no.10, or as a conventional no.10 anyway, but small details.

Class of 63

Sourness
What does newbie restrictions have to do with me telling you De Gea won the league in his second season!? Several full members told you the same thing. Perhaps a PM wasn't necessary but thought I'd point it out on the thread too.
I'm joking dude, do what you need to do.

It was refreshing getting a PM that wasn't a bollocking from one of the Mods, it quite made my day ;)

romufc

Correct you don't, but don't point it out to me then, simples

It's probably best we don't mention what Barcelona did to aid Messi's development, United hoped Lingard would catch up with his peers eventually, he did

He's in poor form, nobody is denying that, the lads confidence is probably on the floor, but yeah let's forget his 6 goals and three assists last season(which when I went to skool was nearly 10), or the season before that when he got 13 goals and 5 assists, why are you so certain that when he gets his confidence back, hopefully in a more settled functioning team he won't be able to match or even better his previous more than passable stats.

Not my place to point it out but he's not actually playing no.10, or as a conventional no.10 anyway, but small details.

Okay, I will ignore the first 2 paragraphs.

So in the premier league - 18 /19 - 27 matches 4 goals 3 assists
- 17/18 - 33 games 8 goals 6 assists
- 16/17 - 25 games 1 goal 2 assists

Maybe you need to visit your old school books.

I am confident because he clearly doesn't have the quality needed to perform at the highest level consistently.

Okay, he is not playing No.10 because you said so, let me re word it. He is playing in a position behind the striker and infront of 2 midfield players and in between 2 wingers where he is expected to link the attack and sometimes get into the box.