Hating Lingard

Le Red

You're reading his '0.0012' response as arrogance and complacency; I read it as a forgivable response to relentless, often abusive, criticism. Should he always remain silent instead? Why should he behave as others wish him to?
That response reads as "that's OK to be shit at my job because I aced the test to get it".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The fact that so many fans defend Jesse Lingard has a role to play at MUFC speaks volumes about the situation the club has been put in.
Jesse Lingard and the likes put the club to shame. I don't care he's a "local kid". I don't care he runs. Shit footballers should be anywhere near a club of this importance.
Have a word with yourself. He’s not running naked in public parks

walsh

Do people hate him? Doubt it. People think he’s a-bit shit which others somehow construe as hate. Weird and very overly emotional.
The reaction he gets far exceeds 'thinking he's a bit shit.' Naive or one-eyed to think otherwise.

Weird how several United managers and England managers pick him. He's not amazing but the whole off-field, social media, 'I hate this generation' thing bleeds into people's opinion of him as a player.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The reaction he gets far exceeds 'thinking he's a bit shit.' Naive or one-eyed to think otherwise.

Weird how several United managers and England managers pick him. He's not amazing but the whole off-field, social media, 'I hate this generation' thing bleeds into people's opinion of him as a player.
Not sure about that. Him offering so little when he has the ball is the main issue most people have. Also I'm not sure it's just hating a generation, more finding annoying people annoying. The guy is the same generation as me but acts like he's in year 11.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I think the lack of goals or assists from an attacking player does far more damage

walsh

Not sure about that. Him offering so little when he has the ball is the main issue most people have. Also I'm not sure it's just hating a generation, more finding annoying people annoying. The guy is the same generation as me but acts like he's in year 11.
He's been in poor form, as have most of our squad. He's not a match winner (except for when he has been) but he offers a decent option, especially in a high-pressing team which Ole wants. He needs to improve and just cut out all of the social media nonsense, I agree with that.

People saying it shames the club the fact he's employed by us is hysteria. People act like we only ever had world class elite players under SAF.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's been in poor form, as have most of our squad. He's not a match winner (except for when he has been) but he offers a decent option, especially in a high-pressing team which Ole wants. He needs to improve and just cut out all of the social media nonsense, I agree with that.

People saying it shames the club the fact he's employed by us is hysteria. People act like we only ever had world class elite players under SAF.
Re the last bit, we did have a lot more though. It's alright saying that when there's the odd Wes Brown or John O'Shea in the side, but right now we have too many that aren't even that level. Lingard falls in to that category for me. It doesn't help that he plays in two positions that we're crying out for someone really good in (AM/RW).

While I agree with the way he acts online not being a major issue, I also think that if someone else's professionalism was being called into question, they'd reign it in and make an effort to improve how they come across. Footballers seem to think they're above needing to do that, despite it being front of thousands.

Le Red

He's been in poor form forever but a one off month.
If this was RM, Barcelona or Bayern the fans would've demanded his head long ago. In MUFC he gets a pat on the back.
Call them hysterical all you want, at least they play football and win shit.

PS. SAF teams had some crap and limited players. The former were eventually binned and the latter compensated their limitations by giving 100%. Your point is moot.

PS 2. If SAF was still gaffer Lingard would be thrown out the door with a boot up his ass a good 4 years ago.

Robbie Boy

There’s idiots everywhere so I wouldn’t really be bothered by them. If people actually stipulate that they “hate” Lingard then yeah, that’s a-bit weird.

I do find the whole “hate” rhetoric that gets used in the defence of several players, quite melodramatic, though. I mean the whole premise of this thread is kind of drama queen-ish, isn’t it really? The vast majority that comment on Lingard just think he’s a-bit shit at football. There’s no “hate” or conspiracy, they just simply don’t rate a football player. I often find when the “hate” card gets played, it’s ordinarily done when ‘player x’s’ staunch defenders run out of excuses for them.

I also find the whole ‘but this and that manager’ plays him so he must be good, argument fairly moot. I mean, are you saying professional players shouldn’t be criticised on the premise that they are being picked by mangers? It was obvious to anyone that Lingard would be loved by Mourinho, as he has a tendency to value workrate over other attributes. Lingard is simply nowhere near good enough for us and his stats - as much as you may not like them - are absolutely damning. We need quality in the final third and an engine alone isn’t good enough. Lingard needs to supplement his good engine with far more pressing attributes that are required to play in his position. I mean look at Mane and Salah, they work their arses off but come up with the goods consistently.

People are seriously blinkered if they think Lingard is the required quality.

Last edited:

fps

There’s idiots everywhere so I wouldn’t really be bothered by them. If people actually stipulate that they “hate” Lingard then yeah, that’s a-bit weird.

I do find the whole “hate” rhetoric that gets used in the defence of several players, quite melodramatic, though. I mean the whole premise of this thread is kind of drama queen-ish, isn’t it really? The vast majority that comment on Lingard just think he’s a-bit shit at football. There’s no “hate” or conspiracy, they just simply don’t rate a football player. I other find when the “hate” card gets played, it’s ordinarily done when ‘player x’s’ staunch defenders run out of excuses for them.
Unfortunately, I've seen enough football fans to know some don't know the difference, and genuinely hate people they've never met, hurling abuse at them from the stands and sending abuse to them on social media. Many in the stands seem to go there simply to hurl abuse at others.

But yes, if he was banging in the goals no-one would care what else he was up to.

Robbie Boy

Unfortunately, I've seen enough football fans to know some don't know the difference, and genuinely hate people they've never met, hurling abuse at them from the stands and sending abuse to them on social media. Many in the stands seem to go there simply to hurl abuse at others.

But yes, if he was banging in the goals no-one would care what else he was up to.
I think by virtue of tribalism, football fans have a tendency to act like idiots in the stands. I actually don’t care what Lingard does on social media and I can honestly say I’ve never watched any of his antics on any social media platform so I can’t comment on them.

Once people can stick to criticising him based on his football alone, then that’s fair game. For what it’s worth, both sides of the ‘great Lingard divide’ have idiots on them. I do find though that his staunch defenders are far more morally ambiguous and seem to think their opinions are more relevant. Newsflash, I’ve seen plenty of his defenders come out with equally as obnoxious and idiotic posts as the purported “haters”.

fps

I think by virtue of tribalism, football fans have a tendency to act like idiots in the stands. I actually don’t care what Lingard does on social media and I can honestly say I’ve never watched any of his antics on any social media platform so I can’t comment on them.

Once people can stick to criticising him based on his football alone, then that’s fair game. For what it’s worth, both sides of the ‘great Lingard divide’ have idiots on them. I do find though that his staunch defenders are far more morally ambiguous and seem to think their opinions are more relevant. Newsflash, I’ve seen plenty of his defenders come out with equally as obnoxious and idiotic posts as the purported “haters”.
The internet is a cesspit for debate!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Really?? They're all over this thread.

Robbie Boy

Really?? They're all over this thread.
Oh don’t get me wrong, I know where they are. I just can’t be bothered watching them. To be honest, I’m not much into social media in general. I would rather just comment on his footballing ability than his social media activity. I mean, there’s plenty to criticise him for so I don’t need more ‘ammo’.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh don’t get me wrong, I know where they are. I just can’t be bothered watching them. To be honest, I’m not much into social media in general. I would rather just comment on his footballing ability than his social media activity. I mean, there’s plenty to criticise him for so I don’t need more ‘ammo’.
Good for you, man. I sometimes want to know about our players not as just a mere footballer.

Robbie Boy

Good for you, man. I sometimes want to know about our players not as just a mere footballer.
I don’t really know if social media is the best place for that. I would often do extensive reading up of our players and I like videos of them doing nice gestures etc. I just have no interest in watching a Lingard video of him shagging a pillow or saying Beanz or whatever else he does be doing. I wouldn’t really call that “getting to know our players”. It’s pretty easy to find more insightful reading about them.

walsh

If this was RM, Barcelona or Bayern the fans would've demanded his head long ago. In MUFC he gets a pat on the back.
Call them hysterical all you want, at least they play football and win shit.

PS. SAF teams had some crap and limited players. The former were eventually binned and the latter compensated their limitations by giving 100%. Your point is moot.

PS 2. If SAF was still gaffer Lingard would be thrown out the door with a boot up his ass a good 4 years ago.
We aren't RM, Barcelona or Bayern. Sorry if that's news to you, although they themselves do have some average squad players.

Lingard's main defence is that he does give his all and works hard, so I don't really get that point.

Your last point I don't think you have any basis for, other than the fact you don't rate him. He's lasted across several managers who clearly see ability in him. You seem overly angry about this one player as opposed to the squad as a whole not being good enough.

patty123

Well it's about to get worse, as rumours abound that he's getting a new deal and pay rise

FerociousCorgis

i would have to laugh for quite a while if he does indeed get not only a new contract, but a raise as well. Literally zero attacking output and gets a raise? Would just be completely insane

edgecutter

If it's true about him getting a new contract then someone needs firing. It's plain to see that he is already earning too much for the quality he is providing.

Highly unlikely he will remain in the England side and questions marks about whether he should even be a squad player for us.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s an absolute nothing player now and has been for the best part of a year.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Waste of space player but excuses FC folk on here would have you think he's some sort of a martyr.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was a fan of his in the youth teams, and was a big advocate of giving him a chance in the 1st team, and, tbh, I still have no problem with the guy himself. He's not good enough, though. Not even as a squaddie. I've thought so for years now. Even before his current form.

I was of the opinion we shouldn't have sold/loaned Alexis and Lukaku due to our anorexic squad because, despite their flaws and not wanting both here anyway, Lukaku was still a goal threat and Alexis could still create chances, but I'm all for shipping Lingard out ASAP. Needs selling in January regardless of our depleted squad.

PoTMS

What an absolute pointless player. Sell him to Everton for £40m. Although, I would personally be happy releasing him on a free.

Ballist1x

Hes just useless, like Mata. Being a creative contributor is a minimum requirement but he contributes nothing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I dont rate Lingard particularly highly but its evident his confidence is completely shot to pieces.

I think a move should be on the cards for him now. I think we've seen the best of him and he has,much as his distractors like to admit,given us some memorable moments.

Feck,he won us the Fa Cup and for me atleast that still means something.