Hating Lingard

Sea-Cow

I too used to think Pereira was shit, but the last couple of games, he has somewhat come good. Against Chelsea, him replacing Lingard was one of the reasons United came back in the game and won. Pereira is certainly better than Mata and Lingard at passing, pressing and dribbling as of now. His corners are a nice bonus.
I have to be honest with myself and admit that for whatever reason, I just don't like Pereira. There is definitely a bias there.

But I also think these positive remarks about him are just because the results have slightly improved the last few games, so everyone is a bit more lenient with their evaluation. And we can just agree to disagree that Pereira is better than Lingard at passing, pressing, and dribbling. But I will strongly disagree on anything positive about his set-piece delivery, which remains a complete myth.

LoneStar

Don't care what he does in his personal life (unless he shags a teammate's wife or something).

But I do hate it when I see him on the pitch, when he does absolutely nothing and kills all our attacks. Should be sold due to his performances on the pitch, nothing else.

ReddBalls

I have to be honest with myself and admit that for whatever reason, I just don't like Pereira. There is definitely a bias there.

But I also think these positive remarks about him are just because the results have slightly improved the last few games, so everyone is a bit more lenient with their evaluation. And we can just agree to disagree that Pereira is better than Lingard at passing, pressing, and dribbling. But I will strongly disagree on anything positive about his set-piece delivery, which remains a complete myth.
He is far away from being the solution to the number 10 position, but he should be commended for improving. I think people praise because he finally resembles a footballer. Thing is, it seems players like Fred and Pereira acutally get better with playing time.

Sea-Cow

He is far away from being the solution to the number 10 position, but he should be commended for improving. I think people praise because he finally resembles a footballer. Thing is, it seems players like Fred and Pereira acutally get better with playing time.
Haha I think "finally resembling a footballer" is a rather low bar! I can appreciate that he ran his nuts off against Pool and that was good to see. I just think if he is getting regular minutes as a starter for us, then our club has absolutely no chance of challenging for anything higher than 5th or 6th. We desperately need an upgrade in quality from those who only start to resemble footballers three months into the season! We simply must improve the squad and I wish him well finding another club.

Sorry for derailing this sub into a "the Sea-Cow hates Pereria" thread!

Alabaster Codify7

Dave the 47 year old top red from Sidcup goes on redcafe and posts "I hate Lingard and his childish behaviour", then goes up to his bedroom to play with his action man till his mummy comes up to tuck him in and switches the night light on.
What an unusual comment.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
May be kicking a man when he's down but.. how hard is this to watch :lol: definitely won't age well.

He's so annoying. The only way he could be tolerable is if he was any good. Unfortunately, he's not.

James Ward

He just really really really really annoys me. He is playing for Manchester United. Don't post absolute nonsense like this on social media when you are part of the club.

I hope Solskjær gets rid of all the messers at the club like him and bring in winners, going by his social media it doesn't look like he gives a crap about the club, just the lifestyle.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Phil Jones after painting his wifey's face: "You don't hate me as much next to this guy huh?"

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lingard is simply shit. Won't be here next season. Good luck in in the championship.
Hopefully not. There's only so many guys who can "be a squad player for a number of years". I mean, even squad players should have standards.

But knowing us he's about to be handed a new contract due to being a youth product.

drdoityourself

Wow, quite alarming how much Phil Jones' wife looks like Jesse Lingard.

Should change this thread to Dating Lingard.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Hopefully not. There's only so many guys who can "be a squad player for a number of years". I mean, even squad players should have standards.

But knowing us he's about to be handed a new contract due to being a youth product.

I think this is key right here, and an often overlooked point.

Squad players are still supposed to play some kind of a role in the team's progress throughout the season. They aren't just there to get paid a fortune to not contribute anything or be a pulse sitting on the bench. The players that fit the latter category are rightly sold - Darmian is a prime example. He wasn't even contributing anything as a squad player and should have gone 2yrs earlier, but he's finally gone.

Here's an example.

Marcos Rojo.

Rojo is nowhere near good enough for United, not in the slightest. We've wanted rid of him for years. However, we couldn't get rid and so far this season Rojo has contributed. He's been called upon start several games and we're not even into the Christmas period, and to his credit, he's shown solid desire and commitment each and every time.

Lingard isn't even doing this. On the occasions he's involved, he is invisible - completely invisible. He's been seen almost hiding from the ball for long spells. Rojo would never do that. Rojo is what a squad player SHOULD be, Lingard should be nowhere near the club.

Stadjer

Lingard is simply shit. Won't be here next season. Good luck in in the championship.
We can only hope.... however i do expect him to be a Manchester United players for years tl come. He doesnt want to leave, has a good contract and why would anyone buy a non scoring non assisting attacking midfielder?

The moment he leaves he will lose the attention he loves so much.. no way he will leave.

The fact that even Phil Jones got a new 4 year deal while the only thing he does is being injured or gifting goals/penalties/chances to the opponent makes me fairly certain that Lingard will also be getting contract after contract.

Get ready for the JLingz testimonial.. he will stay here for a while.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
'Hating Lingard' sounds like a Netflix documentary.
I know:lol::lol::lol: It is a good title for what could be an interesting watch about the inner workings of football fans in this modern climate, and deep diving into how social media have an impact on players and fans alike.

LDUred

People have really short memories in football, as well as a tendency to go after players who are easy targets.

Admittedly he is playing below what he is capable of, but he has proven in the past that he can influence a game in the final third, score goals, and work hard.

Rather jump on his back we should be asking why he isn't reaching the same heights as he was previously.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
People have really short memories in football, as well as a tendency to go after players who are easy targets.

Admittedly he is playing below what he is capable of, but he has proven in the past that he can influence a game in the final third, score goals, and work hard.

thepolice123

I think this is key right here, and an often overlooked point.

Squad players are still supposed to play some kind of a role in the team's progress throughout the season. They aren't just there to get paid a fortune to not contribute anything or be a pulse sitting on the bench. The players that fit the latter category are rightly sold - Darmian is a prime example. He wasn't even contributing anything as a squad player and should have gone 2yrs earlier, but he's finally gone.

Here's an example.

Marcos Rojo.

Rojo is nowhere near good enough for United, not in the slightest. We've wanted rid of him for years. However, we couldn't get rid and so far this season Rojo has contributed. He's been called upon start several games and we're not even into the Christmas period, and to his credit, he's shown solid desire and commitment each and every time.

Lingard isn't even doing this. On the occasions he's involved, he is invisible - completely invisible. He's been seen almost hiding from the ball for long spells. Rojo would never do that. Rojo is what a squad player SHOULD be, Lingard should be nowhere near the club.
You can't be comparing Rojo to Lingard. One player plays in arguably the hardest position in our team's tactical setup. It's not his fault if he is not good enough but gets picked by the manager because we don't have a better player there.

Lingard is fine as a squad player. Playing him week in week out and asking to him to perform for a failing attack is just letting him hang for dry.

redshaw

I've been pretty scathing of him but we're still crap when he's not playing as we are when Matic is not playing, Fellaini, as we were when an old Rooney was supposed to be holding us back.

What's interesting is he was worth some goals and assists in all his seasons and in one season scored 17 goals. It's Jan since he did anything, he pretty much stopped producing when Ole came in and United as a team have scored 13 goals in 11 games while Leicester have scored 27 in 11 games. There's something fundamentally broken in our attack, his lack of anything is a product of something else as much as I don't rate him.

DVG7

I heard a little story about Lingard once, from someone apparently in the know (for what it's worth, they seemed pretty genuine about this)

For our Last premier league trophy presentation, Sir Alex Ferguson had asked the young players at the club to dress up in their finest suits and enjoy the occasion, and get used to the feeling of being champions at Old Trafford. Allegedly, Lingard was upset that he wasn't going to be featured in the squad, as he was about to break through. Supposedly, he went home.

Not sure if this makes me respect him for wanting to be on the field, or dislike him more.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Rather jump on his back we should be asking why he isn't reaching the same heights as he was previously.
Working hard isnt something you can do only on form.

I can understand players has purple patches, but he's not working hard either.

Vernon Philander

How has this guy not been loaned out to a lower stature club yet. I feel this masks his true level as we have nothing to compare his performances to.

ryansgirl

The Jesse Lingard criticism - that is real criticism, not just slag jobs - is too harsh. The lad performed well before in better United teams. He is similar to Marcus and Martial in that his confidence has taken a beating from the instability of the managerial merry-go-round and its effects on the squad.

Another crucial influence has been the lack of strong characters and experienced players who have confidence and drive. Unlike others I think Juan Mata is still a decent squad player but leader he is not so his experience on the pitch does not count in the dressing room.

However, I think Marcus and David are on the road to recovery, maybe Jesse is not at this point in time. When the team starts to string better results together, Jesse may very well come good.

Maccataq

I used to defend Lingard because I could see the value he brought to the team in terms of his work rate, pressing and off the ball movement. He, of course, also used to score and assist goals, maybe not consistently but his contribution was ok for a squad player. The problem is, he has never been at the standard to play for Man Utd as a first team regular and nor is he good enough to pick the team up when we're not doing well. I thought he could be a good squad player for us and maybe he can again but we must strengthen in that position. Pereira has been an upgrade lately but it's a low bar.

If a club came in for him I would say get rid but it's hard to see a queue of clubs lining up for him right now. The best thing to do is strengthen, give more chances to Gomes and starve him of game time and hopefully he'll look to leave or we'll run down his contract and he can leave as a free agent (what am I saying?! He'll probably be offered a new 4 year deal as is customary here!)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You really seem to rate Lingard highly. What is it about his game that you think is great? Would love to know.
I've constantly said he's more than good enough to keep around as a squad player, because he is, if I rated him as highly as you suggest i'd be shouting for him to start every game and to my knowledge i've never done that.

And i'm not going to apologise for being able to spot the difference between a player with ability whose confidence is on the floor as is the case with Jesse, and a player with no ability at all.

No group of players at United in the clubs history have come under as much scrutiny as those who have worn the red shirt over the last few years(since SAF retired), some times we as fans should take that into consideration and cut them some slack - i've never once read a player say he went on to the pitch with the sole intention of being crap and letting his team down just for giggles.

OJKernow

He's been poor for some time, and in no way am I suggesting otherwise. But I do feel he is being scapegoated here.

As has been mentioned above, we look equally as bad without him in the side as we do when he plays, we have lots of decent enough players who are performing below their level. In a better side, that creates more chances and plays on the front foot, I imagine Lingard would fit in as a solid asset in the squad and score/assist 10-15 goals a season, which if he was a 'squad player' would be more than acceptable.

We have much bigger issues than Lingard right now.