Hating Lingard

billybee99

I've constantly said he's more than good enough to keep around as a squad player, because he is, if I rated him as highly as you suggest i'd be shouting for him to start every game and to my knowledge i've never done that.

And i'm not going to apologise for being able to spot the difference between a player with ability whose confidence is on the floor as is the case with Jesse, and a player with no ability at all.

No group of players at United in the clubs history have come under as much scrutiny as those who have worn the red shirt over the last few years(since SAF retired), some times we as fans should take that into consideration and cut them some slack - i've never once read a player say he went on to the pitch with the sole intention of being crap and letting his team down just for giggles.
So he's passes nearly a year without a goal because of lack of confidence? Are you kidding? Are you aware that he had a similar spell under Mourinho where he went like 9 months without a Premier League goal? Was that a lack of confidence too? Or do you see a trend?

LDUred

Pretty much every member of our squad is off their game right now.

Getting rid of players who have proven themselves to be useful in the not too distant past is counterproductive to a revival. If Lingard is used correctly, then he will flourish and also allow the players around him to perform better, too.

Don't get me wrong, it's bloody frustrating seeing him give the ball away and pass up opportunities to score, but I still consider him a valuable member of the squad.

luke511

Pretty much every member of our squad is off their game right now.

Getting rid of players who have proven themselves to be useful in the not too distant past is counterproductive to a revival. If Lingard is used correctly, then he will flourish and also allow the players around him to perform better, too.

Don't get me wrong, it's bloody frustrating seeing him give the ball away and pass up opportunities to score, but I still consider him a valuable member of the squad.
You're overrating his past. Out of the 5 seasons in the first team, including this one, he's been up to the Utd standard for one of them, thats 1 out of 5. That means this season is a more accurate picture of his ability than the 1 season he performed up to standard for an attacking player for Utd. He's Tom Cleverley 2.0 but more annoying, harder to get rid of and plays a lot more games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There is no "getting rid" of him, as he's on about 100k a week for the next 4 or 5 years!

Green_Red

I couldnt give two fecks about what he does off the pitch. Im simply not on his wave length but thats ok because Im getting old so its normal. What he does on the pitch though has not been very good for a while now and he either needs to pull up his socks and start delivering weekly or he'll be playing for someone else next season.

He is quickly becoming our Walcott.

GenZRed

There is no "getting rid" of him, as he's on about 100k a week for the next 4 or 5 years!
Very true. Only way he will leave Man United is if we either terminate his contract (very unlikely) or we let his contract run down instead of renewing it, which is again, very unlikely. After all, both Phil Jones and Juan Mata got contract renewals and they are just as useless as Lingard.

hobbers

Oh is he one of those players that the fans and pundits don't rate but his team mates all love him and marvel at what a good player he is? Yeah, didn't think so.

What exactly has he ever done that was so useful? Darren Gibson had some useful 'moments'. So did Macheda. So did Bellion and Djemba Djemba. Doesn't mean they weren't all a million miles away from United quality. There is exactly nothing about Lingard's game that is good enough for him to even be a squad player here. And anyone who thinks otherwise has, knowingly or not, totally embraced mediocrity.

Really does amaze me the number of times I've heard "I don't like him starting for us but he's a good squad player to have". No. A Manchester United squad player who is so bad he wouldn't be starting games for West Ham, Bournemouth or fecking Newcastle? No. What is wrong with people?

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's a mate of golden boy Marcus, and Ole thinks his personality is a positive thing, so he'll be here for ages.

Ballist1x

Imagine all those patsycake goal celebrations he's been rehearsing. He must have 100s ready to go but no chance to use them.

Very sad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He has had a small improvement in his last two games. Still nowhere near good enough, but hopefully he keeps improving and he gets back to being a decent squad player. I was happy enough with him in that role (not his fault that he was being played as a starter) until this season where he's been all kinds of shit.

Cabin Clown

The hate he gets is absolutely ridiculous. Going through a tough time form wise and everyone jumps on him because he acts the idiot on social media. Thought he did a hell of a lot better than Pereira on Saturday vs Bournemouth and threaded the ball well. He has a future as a squad player with us, just needs to find his confidence again.

Fosu-Mens

The hate he gets is absolutely ridiculous. Going through a tough time form wise and everyone jumps on him because he acts the idiot on social media. Thought he did a hell of a lot better than Pereira on Saturday vs Bournemouth and threaded the ball well. He has a future as a squad player with us, just needs to find his confidence again.
It is not a matter of confidence, but abilities. If you are only able to play well 10% of the time during a whole season the argument can be made that lacking confidence is not the problem.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It is not a matter of confidence, but abilities. If you are only able to play well 10% of the time during a whole season the argument can be made that lacking confidence is not the problem.
He's been significantly worse this season than he's ever been before. That's most likely a confidence problem.

The last few years he's been decent enough, obviously not good enough that he should be starting (that wasn't his fault) but he did bring positives to the team to compensate for his weaknesses. There were a number of times where the team as a whole noticeably played better when he was there. That's not saying all that much seeing as his competition was Mata, but it was still the case.

This season he's been incredibly bad, but it's not fair on him to suggest that this is normal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah, when you're 26, some players who don't contribute for 12 months or whatever it is since he last scored gets labeled as flops and sold immediately. I see him as a squad player but he hasn't been good enough for a squad player for 12 months, so what is he still doing here? No point in being sentimental, and I certainly don't care about social media things either. He just sucks too much to be a squad player, that's not good enough.

LDUred

What exactly has he ever done that was so useful? Darren Gibson had some useful 'moments'. So did Macheda. So did Bellion and Djemba Djemba.
He scored 13 goals for us in the 2017/18 season, many of them important ones. He made a habit of scoring in big games against strong teams.

His form has gone to utter shite since then but there is a capable player in there.

Unfair imo to compare Lingard to those players, particularly Bellion and DJx2.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Kostov

Why are so many of you barking so much about the last 12 months? He was shit before, let’s not pretend otherwise. People are just paying more attention now since there is no Mourinho who was supposedly “holding back” our attacking players. He was absolutely appalling for Mourinho as well if you take it that one purple patch.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He scored 13 goals for us in the 2017/18 season, many of them important ones. He made a habit of scoring in big games against strong teams.

His form has gone to utter shite since then but there is a capable player in there.

Unfair imo to compare Lingard to those players, particularly Bellion and DJx2.
Players can regress badly. Its all about standards really. We can't keep a player simply because he was once useful.

Alfie092

On current form for the past year he isn't even good enough for a role on the bench.

Not sure who is worse and should be shipped first out of Lingard or Pereira...

wm28600

On current form for the past year he isn't even good enough for a role on the bench.

Not sure who is worse and should be shipped first out of Lingard or Pereira...
Lingard is better than Pereira. Quicker, better movement, better touch and better stamina.

But that's not saying anything. He's still awful. It's shocking we've ended up with 2 number 10s not good enough for Norwich, and we're trying to compare and decide which is better, or deserves the last hate.

Giggsforever

Lingard is better than Pereira. Quicker, better movement, better touch and better stamina.

But that's not saying anything. He's still awful. It's shocking we've ended up with 2 number 10s not good enough for Norwich, and we're trying to compare and decide which is better, or deserves the last hate.
Quicker, yes. Better movement touch and stamina, no.

Pereira has clearly the better touch, have you watched us this season? Lingard has probably the worst touch of all the players in the premier league. Look back in this thread and you will find gifs of that. Pereira also have better movement, makes himself an option for the midfielders more often and is better at pressing. I could not tell you who have the better stamina but he also run more per match than Lingard, so that is not relevant.

Both should be sold though, but Lingard should be sold the 01.01.2020 at 00.01.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't know what's more unbelievable, the fact Ben Foster has more shots on target than him or the fact he scored 13 goals just a season and a half ago

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The month is now upon us. December he usually goes goal mad and with him getting a goal Thursday don't be shocked to see him get 5/6 goals this month. Then he'll go back to being useless in 2020.

Messi Lingard could be back....... temporarily.

Eric's Seagull

The month is now upon us. December he usually goes goal mad and with him getting a goal Thursday don't be shocked to see him get 5/6 goals this month. Then he'll go back to being useless in 2020.

Messi Lingard could be back....... temporarily.
Would be really happy if he goes and scores a few after his goal on Thursday. Preferably against City and Spurs :)

Denis' cuff

Apart from a multitude of other disastrous moves EW makes, Rojo, Jones, Lingard and others on long, lucrative contracts. fecking mental. No fecking wonder the club is going downhill fast.

Eric's Seagull

Apart from a multitude of other disastrous moves EW makes, Rojo, Jones, Lingard and others on long, lucrative contracts. fecking mental. No fecking wonder the club is going downhill fast.
Lingard's contract is up in 2021 and he's on £75,000 per week. I expect him to get a fat new contract in the the summer with his wages bumped up to the £125,000-£150,000 mark.