Hating Lingard

TRUERED89

Used to like Lingard as a player.

Felt he had a role and served a purpose in certain matches with his work rate and movement and could whack a shot.

But he literally hasnt done anything in over a year. Should be kept on bench until he gets his act together where maybe he can play a role as a squad player, but starting him at the moment isnt doing much for the team or the player.
Same, and I was trying to be patient with him.

However appointing the fat man as his agent, given how obviously the club hate dealing with him, is a bit of a slap in the face to the club and so I'm now in the "he's welcome to feck off" camp.
As Stupid as this sounds now, prior to this calendar year, I was always defending him and thought he'd get back to his best. He's slapped us all in the face now for so many anonymous performances, coupled with the fact that he's joined forces with the Lucifer of football agents!

Ixion

He's never been good enough. If he hadn't come through the system and was just some player at a midtable club we'd never have bought him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
One day ill log into this thread and find out his transfer out of United is completed.
One day.

Flexdegea

As Stupid as this sounds now, prior to this calendar year, I was always defending him and thought he'd get back to his best. He's slapped us all in the face now for so many anonymous performances, coupled with the fact that he's joined forces with the Lucifer of football agents!

He was always proper United for me being at the club from a kid, but for the last year he seems more about himself than the club. No issue as the club and fans can be very ruthless with players as well, just discard them like nothing, but bringing in Raoila seems a kick in the teeth for his backers at the club.

Can see him leaving now.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I really think its better for both him and the club for him to leave and restart somewhere else. A couple of years back, he was regularly in the England set-up and was doing ok enough to be a squad player here. Now he's completely lost, and really offers nothing.

Having said that, if we bring Bruno in now and send Jesse out, it would be pointless as we need numbers in our squad. Hope he goes in the summer when we can bring in another player instead.
Do we really need numbers involving Lingard? He doesn't offer anything right now so anyone can pretty much take his place.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Do we really need numbers involving Lingard? He doesn't offer anything right now so anyone can pretty much take his place.
I sort of agree with you if i really think about it. Between Mata, Pereira, Angel aaaand pogba when he's fit, we could do without him.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I sort of agree with you if i really think about it. Between Mata, Pereira, Angel aaaand pogba when he's fit, we could do without him.
If we have an opportunity to get rid we should. Same with Phil Jones.

Steven-UK

I've never hated him. He is just not good enough for Manchester United. Period. Manchester United is not a charity.
You sure about that? Lingard, and now Phil Jones who Manchester United have now funded for the next 10 generations of his family to live in comfort, and splendor.

Nori-

The guy doesn't help himself. If i was on £100k+ a week and contributed to zero goals or assists in a whole year, the last thing on my mind would a clothing line and posting on social media.

For me he represents everything that's wrong with the club at the moment. Mediocre players on high wages who have their priorities in the wrong place. I'd sell him the first chance we get.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For me he represents everything that's wrong with the club at the moment. Mediocre players on high wages who have their priorities in the wrong place. I'd sell him the first chance we get.
Exactly this^^

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The guy doesn't help himself. If i was on £100k+ a week and contributed to zero goals or assists in a whole year, the last thing on my mind would a clothing line and posting on social media.

This 100%. He does not give shit about the club. Just loves the allure that comes with earning so much money. He loves the attention and the women throwing themselves at him.

He should never have been allowed to get as far as he has at this club. Symbolic of everything that has gone wrong.

"The Lingard Years."

Fosu-Mens

When a player has been "out of form" for longer than he has been "in form" during his career, one should ask oneself the question regarding his actual ability as a player.

He got the stamina and can control the ball well when running, but he is weak, his control in tight spaces is not good, passing in all forms are below what is needed to operate as a creator, he is not able to go 1v1 and create space for himself, he is not a good crosser or finisher. Most other players in the EPL can at least offer something tangible. Mata can pass. Pereira can cross and even Shaw can defend 1v1 against many attackers.

I don't think he would even be viewed as an average Championship player should he play there.

United Hobbit

Agree with this, yes we know he has had his personal problems though I have noticed a toning down of the social media though this may purely be due to him being busy with said family issues

However this is another example of Ole contradicting himself as he keeps on about bringing in the right "type" of players yet continues to play beans beans beans nearly every game despite his very poor form. Yes I know he is already at the club and we are short but he could almost if we insist on keeping him do with having a couple of games in the reserves that way you're shielding him from the spotlight in view of his personal life and also itll be several levels lower so possibly a chance for him to recover some form at least.

I wouldn't be upset if he was sold. I'm surprised some of the smaller injury hit PL clubs eg Bournemouth/ Norwich/ Watford arent looking at him however they probably cant afford his wages. Why would he move and take a pay cut as well when Ole continues to pick him despite him contributing very little for a while now. Yes if it was a drop off for a month or 2 I'd have some sympathy in light of the personal problems but then you got the infamous social media video in the summer when his form was already becoming questionable.

I was surprised he has a child.

The other thing as well is there is very little incentive for him to put any extra effort in to recover his form eg stay late for extra training/practice like Ronaldo used to do- he will continue to earn his ££££'s each week and Ole will continue to pick him.

Denis79

I haven't learned much in my 35 years of following football but if a player at the age of 28 looks mediocre for over a year, they tend to stay mediocre. I have nothing against Lingard and I admire his work-rate but let's be honest, he doesn't offer much beyond that.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He'll be a star in Serie A.. shit league.

He seems to be done here.. better to just move on..

Same for Jones as well..
I'm almost certain this'll happen and then you'll have his fanboys going on about how he was misused here and all that schtick.

Pace Abuser

Woody's probably sat in his office scratching his head wondering why his golden boy doesn't have top clubs banging the door down to sign him.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I expect Lingard to drop down the leagues or retire early once he's away from us. He's useless.

Denis79

I read that differently. Club wants to get rid, knowing he is crap and nobody will give us 40 for him, so lower the price.. Soon it might be 20.. then 15.. then fish and chips.
Problem are the wages I guess. Pretty sure a few PL clubs would have him if it wasn't for the high wages.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
SAF famously decided that David Beckham, an absolute legend and one of the clubs best players, didn’t have his head in the right place and was becoming distracted by off the field antics.

I was listening to Crouch on his podcast earlier and he was saying how, on England duty, Lampard, Beckham and Rooney stayed out, rain or shine, to do extra training and practice after sessions were over.

I know times have changed in football, but at 27 years old, this should be the stories we are hearing about our senior pros at a club as big as United.

Beckham was 100 times the player Lingard is, but his head wasn’t where the manager demanded and he had to go. He was a consummate pro, but he was distracted enough that it was deemed unworkable.

Lingard, at this stage, is a terrible example for the younger players. He isn’t improving as a footballer, he is declining. He is posting stupid videos and worrying about fashion when he should be out in the rain showing the youngsters how it is done.

Inflated wages have many downsides but the biggest one is that players like him believe they are much better than they are. Time to undo that damage and get him out, so he can’t inflict anymore.

hobbers

I'm almost certain this'll happen and then you'll have his fanboys going on about how he was misused here and all that schtick.
Nah we don't have to worry about that. He's not like Lukaku, in that we already knew Lukaku was capable of scoring lots of goals against crap teams, which he's gone on to do in Serie A.

Lingard has absolutely nothing about him as a footballer. If he goes to a half decent Serie A club he'll end up permanently dropped within weeks, because they simply won't give him the time and chances that he's had here owing to his academy graduate status.

The only sort of clubs where he could actually turn into a bit of a star, are clubs who couldn't afford to pay him even 10% of his current salary. ie Championship clubs.

Djemba-Djemba

Agree with this, yes we know he has had his personal problems though I have noticed a toning down of the social media though this may purely be due to him being busy with said family issues

However this is another example of Ole contradicting himself as he keeps on about bringing in the right "type" of players yet continues to play beans beans beans nearly every game despite his very poor form. Yes I know he is already at the club and we are short but he could almost if we insist on keeping him do with having a couple of games in the reserves that way you're shielding him from the spotlight in view of his personal life and also itll be several levels lower so possibly a chance for him to recover some form at least.

I wouldn't be upset if he was sold. I'm surprised some of the smaller injury hit PL clubs eg Bournemouth/ Norwich/ Watford arent looking at him however they probably cant afford his wages. Why would he move and take a pay cut as well when Ole continues to pick him despite him contributing very little for a while now. Yes if it was a drop off for a month or 2 I'd have some sympathy in light of the personal problems but then you got the infamous social media video in the summer when his form was already becoming questionable.

I was surprised he has a child.

The other thing as well is there is very little incentive for him to put any extra effort in to recover his form eg stay late for extra training/practice like Ronaldo used to do- he will continue to earn his ££££'s each week and Ole will continue to pick him.
But why on earth would they be interested in him?

He's an attacking player going on for 13 months without a goal or an assist, I think we're being wildly optimistic expecting anyone to pay us actual money to get him.

hungrywing

Nah we don't have to worry about that. He's not like Lukaku, in that we already knew Lukaku was capable of scoring lots of goals against crap teams, which he's gone on to do in Serie A.

Lingard has absolutely nothing about him as a footballer. If he goes to a half decent Serie A club he'll end up permanently dropped within weeks, because they simply won't give him the time and chances that he's had here owing to his academy graduate status.

The only sort of clubs where he could actually turn into a bit of a star, are clubs who couldn't afford to pay him even 10% of his current salary. ie Championship clubs.
Yep.

Although it'd only be a year of subsidized wages (deal's up in 2021, right?)....so it might be possible to loan him to a bigger club than that, providing there's interest.

Solskj20er

I think that everyone on social media should stop mentioning his stats...hopefully no one will notice

Last edited:

jimmyb2000

I've never been a fan of his but I don't hate him. However, its easy to see why some could as 3 days after Lingard open his heart to the Daily Mail regarding his off field issues the Sun ran an updated article that could best be described as a PR advertising campaign for Jlingz - It contained guff like this below:

"JESSE LINGARD is one of the most popular footballers in the world."

"A master of appealing to a young audience, he has cultivated an image of himself as a trendsetter"

"How Jesse Lingard is building a brand to rival Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham"

"He's become a style icon to millions of fans"

"Only Lingard can silence his critics by performing on the pitch"

Ending the article with this salient point:

"While the jury's out on both Lingard's clothing range and his football career, perhaps the best thing he can do is concentrate on impressing new boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer."