Hating Lingard

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've never seen a thread title taken so literally by those posting in it.

Does he really deserve this much vitriol?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I've never seen a thread title taken so literally by those posting in it.

Does he really deserve this much vitriol?
I'd say yes but then I consider him a massive cnut so I'm probably not overly objective. Probably not literally hate him though.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Football fans are fickle, one week you are dead and buried, the next you play a blinder like Mata and Matic did against Norwich. At 27, Lingard is at his peak, no where near finished. He was a starter for LVG, Jose and Ole's first season. We all remember his performances against Arsenal away, the FA cup final and helping England to the world cup semi final. He was pivotal in the high pressing system that Ole wanted. I believe that there have been problems in his personal life, where his Mum has become ill, so he now has to raise his little brother. It has obviously affected him. I think a bit of rest and patience is needed. He will come good again, maybe at another club, but either way, I wish him all the best.
It's obviously very sad that his mother is ill and he has to look after his siblings, but, honestly, for half his weekly wage, he could employ someone full time to get them up in the morning, give them breakfast and take them to school, pick them up after school and make their dinner, etc. All he has to do is be big brother, be there when they come home from school, take them to visit mum in hospital and give 'em a cuddle and reassure them everything is going to be alright. There are plenty of people who have to do all that with no spare money, and have to go to work all day and deal with normal life problems & issues on a tight budget.

I don't buy this is affecting his football, he just hasn't got it anymore. He thought he had arrived, but, maybe, wasn't prepared to put the work in to stay at that level. He's really bad now.

TRUERED89

It's obviously very sad that his mother is ill and he has to look after his siblings, but, honestly, for half his weekly wage, he could employ someone full time to get them up in the morning, give them breakfast and take them to school, pick them up after school and make their dinner, etc. All he has to do is be big brother, be there when they come home from school, take them to visit mum in hospital and give 'em a cuddle and reassure them everything is going to be alright. There are plenty of people who have to do all that with no spare money, and have to go to work all day and deal with normal life problems & issues on a tight budget.

I don't buy this is affecting his football, he just hasn't got it anymore. He thought he had arrived, but, maybe, wasn't prepared to put the work in to stay at that level. He's really bad now.
Exactly this, poor/normal people have to go through the same and even more with absolutely no extra cash. Hire someone if you don’t want to be their guardian you’re filthy rich mate...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd say yes but then I consider him a massive cnut so I'm probably not overly objective. Probably not literally hate him though.
I think I last popped in at around page 30, which must've been last season or the one before. Thought I'd have a look today and couldn't quite believe how much genuine 'hate' there seems to be in a number of posts.

This has nearly always been a more bantery, said in jest with a hint of truth/intent site, so it's a bit of a surprise to see how much things have ramped up in here.

I get that he's a [massive] under performer and is on exorbitant wages relative to his output; I also get that his social media is egregious, but ultimately, this kind of denigrating is reserved for traitors and those who actively turn on the club - players such as Heinze, Tevez and even Lukaku with his comments since leaving, but Lingard? It all seems way OTT to me and echo chambery because, well, it's Lingard.

Ah dun like it! Ah dun like it all!

drdoityourself

I admit, I dislike him. Because he is the worst player to become a regular since I started watching almost 30 years ago.
When he comes on nowadays you know the team is just trying to see games out. When he starts you fast get the feeling we will not be watchable until around the 60 minute mark when he's taken off.
Could not care less about his public persona, it's just the safe, boring, unskilled and weak playing style that takes away enjoyment in almost any game he plays.

When you have someone who plays so much, for the team you love watching, being so continually poor, I think it's reasonable to dislike him.

Djemba-Djemba

What a Roller coaster of a thread this has been.

Created right before the famous Lingard purple patch from December 2017 to February 2018 when Lingard could briefly do no wrong and even his biggest critics, like myself, were praising him. To January 2020 where he's in the middle of arguably the worst individual season i've ever seen from a Utd player.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually hated Lingard on a personal level, he seems a decent if slightly immature guy away from football.

Lingard as the Manchester Utd player being fecking awful for years is what I hate.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It should be noted he's in a decline/slump and what he once offered - which was world class off the ball movement - is just not there at the moment (or perhaps never again) and without that, as well as his dire touch and control allied to his lack of productivity, his place in the team can and should be called out, but the overall slamming of him has gone beyond the pale as far as I can see and I struggle to see why outside of him being an easy conduit to voice frustration at the team's failings and consistency as a whole.

Some might say he holds the key to our fate in the palm of his hand given the critical importance of that role in the team, but surely playing him, repeatedly, when he is in such poor form, actually absolves him somewhat as the manager and coaches are the ones setting him up for a fall by not removing him from the firing line or misjudgment in trying to play him into form? Of course the player is going to try when selected and if his best isn't good enough, it warrants scrutiny and calling out, but the panning he is getting in here doesn't correlate and seems to extend to the perception people have of him off the pitch.

Just strange to me because it comes across as way too much flack for what he is.

I saw somebody say he is an embodiment of everything wrong with the club, which I get on one level, but over a career here, is he really? At his best, his contributions and role in the team made sense and although he has never been starter quality, he did have iconic moments that shouldn't be dragged through the mud in retrospect.

I didn't think I'd be in a thread championing a player who I never thought should have been paid so much here, nor anything but a peripheral component of a true United squad, but here we are.

passing-wind

Lingard's drop of form is both due to the system / lack of fluidity that Solskjaer adopts in the midfield, and Jesse's lack of diversity in his playing position. It's a 50/50 affluence. We don't play with a proficiently technical 10 that's why Mata's, Lingards and Pereria's performances have been poor in the position. It's not really a summation of them being rubbish players but more not having the system that adopts their strengths. Pogba is the only performer in a 10 under Solskjaer to do anything of note because he's simply a world class player. He can drop off into midfield, come short, go either side of the right or left, is a jack of all trades type of ambassador.

If we are looking at viable options Grealish is perhaps the best player to replace Lingard's influence because he plays often from the stem of behind the midfield circle and transitions further up the pitch with the ball. This type of movement is something compatible with a counter attacking system. I actually think Maddison would struggle here and he would require a further level up from Leicester to succeed because we are not as expansive as Brendan in possession, so his intuitive capacity would need development.

Cypherage

Cant say I hate him as a person because I do not know him on a personal level, as a footballer though, well his performances speak volumes and at the age of 27 he should be at his peak, he is just so woeful a change of scenery would probably be more suited for both him and United, a coma patient would probably do more on the pitch than what Lingard does these days.

Djemba-Djemba

It should be noted he's in a decline/slump and what he once offered - which was world class off the ball movement - is just not there at the moment (or perhaps never again) and without that, as well as his dire touch and control allied to his lack of productivity, his place in the team can and should be called out, but the overall slamming of him has gone beyond the pale as far as I can see and I struggle to see why outside of him being an easy conduit to voice frustration at the team's failings and consistency as a whole.

Some might say he holds the key to our fate in the palm of his hand given the critical importance of that role in the team, but surely playing him, repeatedly, when he is in such poor form, actually absolves him somewhat as the manager and coaches are the ones setting him up for a fall by not removing him from the firing line or misjudgment in trying to play him into form? Of course the player is going to try when selected and if his best isn't good enough, it warrants scrutiny and calling out, but the panning he is getting in here doesn't correlate and seems to extend to the perception people have of him off the pitch.

Just strange to me because it comes across as way too much flack for what he is.

I saw somebody say he is an embodiment of everything wrong with the club, which I get on one level, but over a career here, is he really? At his best, his contributions and role in the team made sense and although he has never been starter quality, he did have iconic moments that shouldn't be dragged through the mud in retrospect.

I didn't think I'd be in a thread championing a player who I never thought should have been paid so much here, nor anything but a peripheral component of a true United squad, but here we are.
Well in a lot of ways he sort of is yeah.

I mean obviously the major things wrong with the club is we have Owners and a chief Exec who don't care about the fans, know nothing about football and have bled hundreds and hundreds of millions away from the club. The likes of the Glazers and Woodward deserve the hate and vitriol from the fans of course.

But in another way Lingard does represent the total mess Man Utd are in 2020. Painfully average players like Lingard allowed to stay at the club for multiple years despite clearly not being good enough and paid an exorbitant wage to go along with it. His performances and his stats in the last 12 months are unheard of for a Utd player and yet he's rumoured to be on more money than players like Mane at Liverpool.

bondsname

I feel bad for him. He's been having a tough time with his family and now the pressure on him is more intense than it ever has been.

Lingard has always been an average player with good spells, but at the moment he is just...shockingly bad. He does absolutely nothing , he offers nothing, he is just.. poor. It can't be tolerated.

I'd rather give him a 3 month vacation so he can figure his shite out rather than to have him waste a spot on the bench.

redcafe_reader

Yea I am abusing Lingard, kicking him hen he's down, hating him, etc by pointing out the simple fact that he's massively underperforming and does not deserve to wear the United shirt. You guy got any other buzzwords?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Yea I am abusing Lingard, kicking him hen he's down, hating him, etc by pointing out the simple fact that he's massively underperforming and does not deserve to wear the United shirt. You guy got any other buzzwords?
He's not even underperforming, he's just performing. He had a small period where he overperformed, now he's back to his typical performances.

He's just not good enough, even as a backup.

Superden

To be honest, I am. He's less productive at his job than mine and he earns way way more than I do.
exactly. he may not be very good, but hes a professional footballer at one of the worlds top clubs and living his life the way he wants and enjoying some of the trappings that come with his fame. the personal nature of the abuse he gets clearly stems from jealousy and bitterness. ive seen far worse players at Utd and they never got anything like the abuse lindgaard gets.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
exactly. he may not be very good, but hes a professional footballer at one of the worlds top clubs and living his life the way he wants and enjoying some of the trappings that come with his fame. the personal nature of the abuse he gets clearly stems from jealousy and bitterness. ive seen far worse players at Utd and they never got anything like the abuse lindgaard gets.
Jealousy and bitterness? I was being facetious in my post. If he was performing, nobody would give a crap about his childish antics, his clothing line and his dancing. I know I wouldn't.

If anything, him signing up with Raiola adds another reason for United fans to dislike him. :lol:

Superden

Jealousy and bitterness? I was being facetious in my post. If he was performing, nobody would give a crap about his childish antics, his clothing line and his dancing. I know I wouldn't.

If anything, him signing up with Raiola adds another reason for United fans to dislike him. :lol:
so football fans hating on a player because of their off field activities, but same fans wouldnt give a toss about same activities if the player performed better. so the hatred for lingard is irrational, like jealousy and bitterness.

romufc

I'd rather give him a 3 month vacation so he can figure his shite out rather than to have him waste a spot on the bench.
This. The lad is struggling so the best thing is get him out of the firing line. Making 20 mins sub appearances will not help him.
It seems he needs a break from football however; I feel him hiring Raiola will not go down well because he will either want a new contract or a move.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
so football fans hating on a player because of their off field activities, but same fans wouldnt give a toss about same activities if the player performed better. so the hatred for lingard is irrational, like jealousy and bitterness.
It's based on on field performances. If he's performing, his off field antics would be tolerated because he's doing the business on the field.

clarkydaz

its completely rational, he is crap on the pitch so people want him gone. Hating on him if he was playing great would be irrational

Pughnichi

I read that differently. Club wants to get rid, knowing he is crap and nobody will give us 40 for him, so lower the price.. Soon it might be 20.. then 15.. then fish and chips.
I spent £4.50 on fish n chips for lunch today. Based on Jesse’s capitulation, he won’t even be worth that soon

Djemba-Djemba

Who has been as bad as Lingard that has played anywhere near his amount of games for Utd?

Phil Jones? That's probably it.

L1nk

Sometimes you forget he is 27 and should be in the prime of his career, what a joke

Steven-UK

At least we now know that Lingard has found his level when we played Tranmere, as he should be running about the pitch with their players based on his ability; and on £400 a week, instead of the £120K he gets gifted every week at United.

You couldn't make it up... the same goes for Jones, same level.

Born2Lose

Can you honestly imagine a Liverpool or City player ever having a similar tweet posted about them. Speaks volumes about the lack of urgency and action at the club currently.