Hating Lukaku

Snuffkin

He is not helping his potential transfer. We wont sell unless we get a decent offer.
If it means him sitting on the bench all season then so be it. I never thought it would come to this. I don't know if this episode shows the modern player's attitudes, or the status of Manchester United as a club.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I just think he's in physical decline. At Everton he routinely took defenders on and beat them for power and pace, scoring solo goals. At United I honestly cannot remember off the top of my head a goal he created for himself after picking the ball up 40 yards from goal with a chance to run at a defender. He almost seems scared to take defenders on nowadays and often resorts to cutting it back and playing in a cross which, to his credit, he's not half bad at.

To me he lacks that extra gear that top strikers have to take defenders on and create half chances by making a yard for themselves and scoring goals that you can only tip your hat at as a defender.
This is something to note.

Rooney started at 16 as a charging bull and was all but done at 26.

Lukaku did the same...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is not helping his potential transfer. We wont sell unless we get a decent offer.
If it means him sitting on the bench all season then so be it. I never thought it would come to this. I don't know if this episode shows the modern player's attitudes, or the status of Manchester United as a club.
It shows neither of the things you mentioned, it only concerns Lukaku.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So you’re arguing that against top 6 rivals, there are more opportunities to score as a wide forward than there are as a centre-forward?
Yes. Because the center forward its ALWAYS marked by 2 center halves. The Wide forward almost never is. Unless he plays for a City or a Pool...

Is there some reason why this does not apply against the rest of the league?
Because the rest of the league largely have shit center backs in comparison to top 6 sides. Obviously...So the CF will naturally have more joy vs them.

And in our case not only was the cf tag teamed by 2 center halves. His supply line was one flank and one creative CMCM (Pogba) who in turn would get man/double marked. Yet people constantly marvel why our forwardline struggled for goals in general

reddevil702

I have no ill will towards him but the respect I had is lost. If Ole and the club have allowed to train separately, then something is wrong and they feel it's better he's away from the club. Show's a lack of professionalism, should have taken some notes from the club's alleged "virus" on how to handle transfers.

DSG

The way he has handled this transfer window is abhorrent.

It’s fine if you want a move away (wish Darmian, Rojo, Jones and Young felt the same), but at least be a professional.

He’s pouting because Ole told him he isn’t guaranteed a spot as the 9.

Boneli

To be fair, he is just showing he hasn’t grown up at all since he left Chelsea. This is a quote from Mourinho from after he went to Everton:

“Romelu was always clear that in his mentality and his approach he was not highly motivated to come to a competitive situation at Chelsea. He wanted to play for Chelsea, but clearly only as first-choice striker - and at a club of our dimension it’s very difficult to promise a player that status.”
So basically, he’s learned nothing since then. He still isn’t prepared to fight for his place. Better off without him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku is definitely a special case even by modern day standards. He raged quit Chelsea at the age of 21 because we signed a prime Diego Costa and now it looks like he's leaving United the first chance he gets now his place isn't nailed on.

The guy wants everything handed to him on a plate and if he doesn't get it in one club he will look elsewhere which is quite shocking for someone who allegedly idolised Didier Drogba (a player who had to and relished working hard for everything he got in both football and life).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, he is just showing he hasn’t grown up at all since he left Chelsea. This is a quote from Mourinho from after he went to Everton:

So basically, he’s learned nothing since then. He still isn’t prepared to fight for his place. Better off without him.
I think he may have pulled the training with Anderlect trick at that point (before signing for Everton full time) aswell.

I can't be 100% sure on that but he definitely didn't report for pre season training.

saivet

Lukaku is definitely a special case even by modern day standards. He raged quit Chelsea at the age of 21 because we signed a prime Diego Costa and now it looks like he's leaving United the first chance he gets now his place isn't nailed on.

The guy wants everything handed to him on a plate and if he doesn't get it in one club he will look elsewhere which is quite shocking for someone who allegedly idolised Didier Drogba (a player who had to and relished working hard for everything he got in both football and life).
I'm not sure what's wrong with wanting to leave when you're clearly surplus to requirements.

Most players that do that end up staying on usually just end up on the bench cause either the manager doesn't rate them (Ole) or their is a preferred option (Costa at Chelsea) and end up leaving shortly after. Mata under Mourinho is an example of that.

I don't think he's acted great this summer, but I think this thread is full of over reactions. People didn't like him before so any chance to get at him with or without the full facts, people have taken their chance.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He is better than both Rashford and Martial.
I have a feeling that as bad as that post looks already, over the next three years it’s going to end up looking like one of the worst Red Cafe posts of all time.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cant wait for him to finally leave

Litch

I did. He played well in both games, 2 goals and an assist.

But, that's still a very small percentage in the grand scheme of things. We should expect a lot more from our record signing.
My response was to yours....'what has he done, when it matters' and a common theme of not turning up. Not saying it defines his Utd career but the night in Paris will go down as one of the greatest in our European history and the game against Brazil in the WC, he was unplayable. I'm not his biggest fan but let's not minimise the things he has done.

Kopral Jono

I do think much of the stick Lukaku gets is undeserved, since I rate him as a footballer and I genuinely feel he could be very useful for us. But he's not helping himself in recent weeks with his antics, is he.

Ramos

I think he may have pulled the training with Anderlect trick at that point (before signing for Everton full time) aswell.

I can't be 100% sure on that but he definitely didn't report for pre season training.
You are right on the training with Anderlecht part. That's him with Mitrovic (Anderlecht's striker at the time) couple of weeks after the 2014 WC.

Last edited:

Litch

I agree it’s not the only quality a United forward must have, but the ability to pull something out of the bag in big games is something that all successful United forwards have demonstrated over the years, and it’s one of a few required elements to his game that Lukaku is lacking in.
For me its context and whilst I agree it is something we've not seen him do here, this is one of the poorest Utd teams for over 20 years plus. It's not just about the forward, it's about the teams quality to stay in the game that allows and creates those moments for the forward. The only Utd forward I can remember who had those moments in a poor (not as bad as this one) Utd team was CR in his last season here, and he was on bar with Messi as the best player in the world.

Blind pew

I struggle to recall a player so openly disrespecting the club. He'd be no loss to the team. He clearly doesn't want to fight for his place. Let him, and be replaced by somebody who wants to earn the right to play for United.

Let's face it, he'll never be forgiven by many fans, even in the remote likelihood of him staying and banging in fifty goals a season. I know Rooney held United to ransom (twice) but at least he really did on the pitch.

Litch

Why does the PSG game keep being mentioned in his defense? I dont remember him playing that well but scoring after a bad pass from a defender and scoring after a mistake by Buffon who couldnt control a Rashford shot for some strange reason.

It was a special night but that special night was purely luck. It didnt have to do with Manchester United being great or Lukaku having a fantastic game. It was a 1 in a 100 match. Still great that Lukaku scored those goals though... but i would have prefered him to score against Arsenal a few days later. Had we won the game against Arsenal (which we should have) i think top 4 would have been reached.

On a personal level he seems like a good guy... as a footballer he is overrating himself and i hope he is sold asap. If he leaves a few other players need to step up and score some extra goals though.
Maybe cause like on here, you read the post but it's out of context in its response. The question was he never turns up when it matters. Not saying it should define his Utd career but it will sit as one of the best games in utds European history and if you are judging it as pure luck, it doesn't get any better than probably our greatest night in Europe in 99 or even the penalty shoot out the following final with JT missing it to win it. Your comments are in hindsight cause you wouldn't have mentioned the Arsenal game if we went on to win the final.

G_and_T

Wayne Rooney questioned the ambitions of the club (in hindsight he was right) and was looking to move away - fans hated him until he left. Paul Pogba routinely gets slammed by the press and on social media for suggesting he also wants to move away from the club (probably for the same reason as Rooney), Lukaku is behaving this way after a really poor season where he missed so many chances and played so apathetically in the last month of the season and he seems to be getting quite an easy ride. It shows that he isn't the superstar he thinks he is, and how happy people are to see him go. Rashford and Martial are too young to shoulder the responsibility of attack for an entire season, but I think they will try a lot harder and work harder for the team - who knows, maybe without a drama queen like Lukaku / Sanchez / Zlatan holding them back they might just have an incredible season. I don't hate Lukaku, but I never felt he was the right player for this club, and it's no surprise that Ole is letting him go. After the stunt he pulled this week, I don't see him ever being allowed back to the club.

AkaAkuma

Is it fair to say he put the world cup before the fa cup final, I had that feeling at the time. He could of played but didn't want to risk aggravating his injury before the WC.

Litch

He travels to the other side of the world, doesn't kick a football, he goes to the Far East, does all his commercial requests but still doesn't kick a football. Comes back to England and is allowed to train in Belgium by the club with his old clubs youth team and no one thinks this is strange by the club? Why would they let him go in the first place when they have insisted he travels half way around the world?

When Ole came in, he was on the bench and came off it and contributed to that purple patch. Where were the comments about him being unprofessional then?
Maybe he was told he's not guaranteed to start and maybe he wants to go somewhere that he thinks he will. That's like your boss telling you, your not getting a promotion whilst your peers are so you want to leave. Let's not get it twisted, some of the greatest players in Utd history, can you imagine if they played in this era of social media, we may look at them a little different too based on media click bait.

Can you believe Eric during a game Kung Fu kicked a fan in a crowd because he didn't like what he said and even if it was xenophobic, it's amazing how being a good player in the eyes of football fans gives you privileges that others never would have. Didn't disrespect the club then?

Fans didn't think it was disrespectful to create a song about the size of Rom's penis then? Not disrespectful at all then based on racial stereotypes?

Clearly the relationship has broken down with the club but we aren't aware of the facts to use terms like 'hate' and 'disrespectful'.

Last edited:

swred

Rom is a total helmet, 'IF' the AWOL rumours are true, stick him in the reserves and let him rot.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Honestly think you'd be mad to sell him without a proper replacement.

He is a striker that requires service, which if we are being honest, he didnt get a lot of last season.
you're right, of course

people that are "fine" with having only Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are being ridiculous. Yes, it will be "fine" if we're aiming for 6th but anything more would be a miracle.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't really understand this, if he is "injured" surely he should be doing his rehab at Carrington? Did he go to Belgium for a small operation? It's like Pogba claiming he's injured and goes to Italy and starts training with Juventus.

Very odd especially with you first game 4 days away.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't really understand this, if he is "injured" surely he should be doing his rehab at Carrington? Did he go to Belgium for a small operation? It's like Pogba claiming he's injured and goes to Italy and starts training with Juventus.

Very odd especially with you first game 4 days away.
The correct equivalent would be going to France and training with Le Havre.

haram

I have a feeling that as bad as that post looks already, over the next three years it’s going to end up looking like one of the worst Red Cafe posts of all time.
I mean they could become better than him, so not really.

Verbalkint

Brings into perspective just how professional Basti was, even Darmian more recently. Nothing from them, no public or social media shenanigans.