Hating Lukaku

wolvored

I hate how we don’t have one striker we can rely on consistently, and I think Ole does as well.

So naturally the big money signing who’s at an age where he should be performing consistently needs to be sold and another option brought in.

Never mind the fact that Lukaku is technically limited to say the least and physically unlimited around the waist area.

I don’t hate him. I just hate the fact that we actually thought it wise to pay £75m for him. He was never, ever good enough, never mind his attitude.

Thankfully OGS seems to have figured this all out rather quickly.
Agreed. Ill admit when we bought him I thought he would do a lot better than what he has done. A complete waste of £75 or £90 million if we have had to pay the extras, whatever they were

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I never refer “top class” in dribbling. My point is you make Lukaku sounds like a top class player by neglecting what Lukaku can’t do better and what Rashford can do better. In additional, just because I call him better than Lukaku in certain aspect you acted like it’s off the chart.

I have already told you and I will say it twice: I have said enough, you can believe whatever you want to believe with Lukaku’s ability.
You brought the concept of "top class" into it though - I just say Lukaku dribbles better than Rashford. I don't see him dispossessed as much when he makes runs at defenders, and when he moves into the channels I see him with better deliveries into the box than any of our wide men.

Lukaku is a better finisher, a better header, more physical, his hold up play is better and offers more to the dynamics of a game than Rashford. This is my opinion and you are obviously entitled to your own.

I don't dislike Rashford but he is truly overrated by many over here.

Red_toad

Seems more childish to claim we won't spend more than £100m this summer or that quality players like Dybala, who's been predominantly linked with us and Real since the Felix news broke, aren't even options for us.
Realist pal, realistic.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You brought the concept of "top class" into it though - I just say Lukaku dribbles better than Rashford. I don't see him dispossessed as much when he makes runs at defenders, and when he moves into the channels I see him with better deliveries into the box than any of our wide men.

Lukaku is a better finisher, a better header, more physical, his hold up play is better and offers more to the dynamics of a game than Rashford. This is my opinion and you are obviously entitled to your own.

I don't dislike Rashford but he is truly overrated by many over here.
It’s because you made him sounds like a top class by neglecting what he can’t do better than Rashford. Let’s not ignore your first replied to me.

Lukaku is very well known to killing the tempo of the attack & inability to play in tight defense due to his poor control & touch, Lukaku is so afraid to control the ball because he knows his own weakness. On the other hand, Rashford might not be a top dribbler like a wingers but at least has the skills & pace to back it up. Rashford got dispossessed more in your view because he makes more dribble or take on attempt than Lukaku who doesn’t do it often.

And let’s not talking about offers more of the dynamic, he lacks of intelligence movement, afraid on the ball, less skilful, worse dribbler, scared with the ball. And even with a few stuffs that I said about Lukaku is better in certain aspect, he does them inconsistently. Rashford is ahead of Lukaku in pecking order of Ole attacking style football due to these but you call it overatted.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s because you made him sounds like a top class by neglecting what he can’t do better than Rashford. Let’s not ignore your first replied to me.

Lukaku is very well known to killing the tempo of the attack & inability to play in tight defense due to his poor control & touch, Lukaku is so afraid to control the ball because he knows his own weakness. On the other hand, Rashford might not be a top dribbler like a wingers but at least has the skills & pace to back it up. Rashford got dispossessed more in your view because he makes more dribble or take on attempt than Lukaku who doesn’t do it often.

And let’s not talking about offers more of the dynamic, he lacks of intelligence movement, afraid on the ball, less skilful, worse dribbler, scared with the ball. And even with a few stuffs that I said about Lukaku is better in certain aspect, he does them inconsistently. Rashford is ahead of Lukaku in pecking order of Ole attacking style football due to these but you call it overatted.
Rashford has more pace and is more agile, so a quicker attack is more likely under Rashford's posession. I agree with that, and it's a positive Rashford has over Lukaku.

As for "skills", it's very hit and miss. He's a kick and rush footballer more than anything else. I don't think Lukaku "kills" tempo, but he can be longer on the turn. Despite this I'm way more comfortable in seeing Lukaku on the wing and seeing a good cross in, and I'm more comfortable seeing Lukaku the end of a delivery into the box or a have a chance against the keeper. This doesn't make him "top class" but it's just me saying Lukaku is better than Rashford. You don't need to be top class for that because Rashford is an Everton level player who is overrated in no small part because of his age, nationality and background as an academy lad.

NeQuient

We need a right winger at the moment capable of scoring goals and getting assists,we dont have anyone at this position at the moment,we also need a proper right back i would wait with lukaku and give him a chance when we finnaly get what we really need.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is hate and dislike against all our players here. For some reason there is little love going around.

We got a lot of good players, but not as good as City and Liverpool right now. Could need some uppgrades in attack mainly, but no reason to hate our attackers for not being at the very best.
Exactly. Not sure why ManUtd fans hate any ManUtd player, some of the posts on few players don't look out of place in twitter. Funnily there are at least couple of posters who complain about "hate" for Lukaku are the ones who "hate" Pogba, Martial and can't wait to shit on them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rashford has more pace and is more agile, so a quicker attack is more likely under Rashford's posession. I agree with that, and it's a positive Rashford has over Lukaku.

As for "skills", it's very hit and miss. He's a kick and rush footballer more than anything else. I don't think Lukaku "kills" tempo, but he can be longer on the turn. Despite this I'm way more comfortable in seeing Lukaku on the wing and seeing a good cross in, and I'm more comfortable seeing Lukaku the end of a delivery into the box or a have a chance against the keeper. This doesn't make him "top class" but it's just me saying Lukaku is better than Rashford. You don't need to be top class for that because Rashford is an Everton level player who is overrated in no small part because of his age, nationality and background as an academy lad.
I said he’s more skilful than Lukaku doesn’t make him as skill full as the other footballer.

Rashford isn’t top class and we both know this but when I stated a certain aspect that Rashford is better you made an impression that I rated it too high, which clearly giving an impression that Lukaku is a top class because there is nothing is called too high to be better than Lukaku in the aspects that I mentioned in my first post.

I’m more comfortable to see my attackers threatening defenders with their asset not someone who get bullied easier and struggle playing in a tight spot with lack of movement and easier to be marked.

Hawks2008

I actually was a fan of his at Everton and thought his streakiness and struggles against the top sides were down to playing at Everton. I was excited when we signed him and even more so when he started in red hot form. But then his form tailed off an be continued to be a patchy striker who isn't clinical enough.

He has not been reliable enough and has proven that he cannot be counted on week in week out. However, I think like Smalling he is upgradeable but not the biggest concern with the squad. If he's sold we can hopefully get a good fee for him.

Litch

Good enough or not, Utd for a while now isn't the easiest team to make that assessment. Is there anyone that has been good enough since SAF left? Like Rom or not, it's not coincidental that most of the signings have failed.

On form, he's one of the best players in the league.
That’s just not true. On form he can be a good goal scorer, but he’s nowhere near one of the best players in the league - even if he is plundering goals against relegation fodder for a few games in a row.

He’s scored about 1 goal in 20 against the top 6 in the PL for Man Utd.

RasTiaGba

I would replace him as his contract is one of a key player, and I don't think he will be a key player.

If we're serious about building a squad like Liverpool and City with young exciting players. I would sell.

If Liverpool or Spurs paid 75 mil on him we'd be laughing looking at his contribution.

When Chelsea sign guys like Morata and it doesn't work out they move them on.

Why should we be held to ransom for the entire duration of their contract when it's not working out.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Maybe Lukaku should ask Calvert Lewin how to hold the ball up when you've got a CB on your back.

King_Cantona07

His first touches are passes to Everton midfield. Looks like he forgot about his transfer to United and is still finding Everton players with his touches

arnie_ni

Just once id love to see him out muscle someone from a long ball, take it down and retain possession.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
After 2 seasons of backing him, I now have to agree. He is not good enough and will not become good enough. If the team were any good, he'd be able to hide those flaws.

His problems are foundational and systematic.

haram

So now we are going to blame him for these fecking shit long balls and lack of width. Fix our fecking build up because this is a disgrace.

Untd55

He is also the only one to have had a full season as a striker.

As for martial not being able to dribble? Hes far better than lukaku at that.

What other atrributes does lukaku have other than alright (but far from great) finishing? Not saying i think hes crap but your arguments ranged from flimsy to shite there.
I wasn't talking about them in comparison to Lukaku. I was talking about their issues because people talk like Martial and Rashford are far better than Lukaku, but I don't see how that is the case. I think they are being overrated in comparison to Lukaku.

I will compare them below:

Finishing - Lukaku is the best finisher. Martial second. Rashford third, and by a bit of a distance.

Dribbling - Martial is probably the best dribbler, but he is not great (I can't remember the last time he beat a player - perhaps he just ineffective on the wing?). Rashford? Not impressed by his dribbling - don't think there is much between him and Lukaku.

Holding up the ball - Lukaku (First) - Rashford (Second) - Martial (Third - Loses it quite a lot)

Positioning - I don't think any of them are great. I would say they are all equal.

First-touch - I know people criticise Lukaku's touch, but are Rashford and Martial that much better. I have seen them fail to control a lot of balls themselves. I would say Rashford and Martial are slightly better (Not sure who is better between them)

Strength - Lukaku by far. Rashford second as I think Martial gets pushed off the ball too easily at times. (I don't think Martial is weaker than Rashford, just not aggressive enough)

Workrate - Rashford - Lukaku - Martial

Overall
1st. Lukaku takes three first places (Best attacker overall - along with him being the only proven 20 goals per season striker)
2nd. Rashford
3rd. Martial (Loses out to Rashford on workrate) - I actually think he would be a better striker than Rashford if he worked harder and was more aggressive. I think he has more of the attributes than Rashford.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Found this in reddit. This Everton fan is spot on!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/6llhy2/everton_season_ticket_holder_views_on_lukaku/

I agree with what he said about His asset is scoring goals, being clinical, not a talented footballer, lacks of technique, hold up play is average, tends to go missing in the games but somehow find a way to score, he doesn’t use his strength as he should and being inconsistent when using his strength, not worth the money & tends to go missing in big games.

Only one thing I disagree is his movement, he called it underrated. I have seen lot of strikers with better movement. I think Lukaku is great when he made his movement but he tends not to have the intelligent to do it often.

I don't hate the guy but it's clear he's never going to work for us.

Rashford and Martial have a low floor but they're young, talented and when it has worked for them, it has really worked. There is still a hope if we can unlock their talent they will be good enough for us.

Even in top form Lukaku has looked like a square peg for a round hole. He's not got the technique or speed of movement for a top team and there's not much he can do about that. He's a big guy by nature and at his age his technique is never going to reach the level required.

Beaucoup

Play to his strengths and he’ll score, he’s never going to be the type of player that holds the ball up.

OldTrevil

It's not about hate for me, the guy is just not a good footballer. Worse, he thinks he is and his public profile makes him come across as a fraud.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Liverpool very quickly realised their mistake with Benteke and that he wasn’t the right fit for Klopps system. Let’s hope we are decisive with Lukaku.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't subscribe to these scapegoat threads where people hate on a player because of whatever reason but I'm struggling to see the point in Lukaku anymore.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What a touch that was.....
Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Nice ball to his feet with 15 yards of space infront of him. Bouncy castle gives Zinchenko a sniff with a poor touch and then loses it.

Aguero's been shrugging off the bigger Smalling most of this game.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Can not believe people are actually arguing against selling this shithouse footballer. He’d be more at home in league 2 atm.

Chairman Steve

I think he’s our version of Benteke at Liverpool. Good for a certain level of club but not the top tier.

youmeletsfly

There are things that you get in life and things you don't.

I do not get how Lukaku is basically training to stop balls since he was 6 years old and 20 years later he is still shit at it.