Hating Lukaku

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Unbelievable goal record, you are right - 1 goal in two years against the top 6 - 21 appearances. That’s outrageously unbelievable.

It’s pathetic, and the guy can’t play for more than 25 mins without being visibly knackered. He’s meant to be a professional athlete, yet his conditioning is non-league level. He also cost £75-90m and can’t shut up about wanting to play in other leagues.
People will find agendas in anything, his record against the top six should be better, but he's still scored as many goals in the premiership as Son this season, who I'm sure many would have in the team rather than Lukaku!!
The whole teams fitness needs to be improved, Ole highlighted that, so why you feel the need to single out Lukaku is beyond me?!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Nothing about his personality... I dont know him off the pitch but football wise he's bleedin Crap lads. He might be bang on as a man but Jesus as a striker he's woeful.

He's Crap. There is no defending him as a player. The odd goal the odd assist but in general he's a donkey.

Replace him with a 32 year old Jamie Vardy and we'd score a lot more goals just on movement and ability to actually turn with the ball.

I hope to feck he's sold in the summer.

Siorac

A player who outscored Rashford yet again, who has an unbelievable goal scoring record in the premiership, yet gets this amount of hate? Baffling.
He's the best striker we have at the club, he's not in Agueros class but he suits a system and if utilised correctly then is formidable.
Personally I think he has his best games playing inside forward off the right, has played there a couple for times for Everton and Ole tried it a couple of times.
He scored 96 goals in 207 games. That's very far from "unbelievable". 28 in 66 for United.

And that's the thing, really. For a striker with such obvious technical limitations, he really doesn't even score that much. He had one season of 20+ league goals so it's not even that he's some supreme goalscorer, the ultimate poacher or anything like that. He's a decent PL striker.

RooneyLegend

Why is this even a debate? we are not planning to play with a front two anytime soon so just get rid.

SaintMuppet

Personally I’d like to see him after preseason. Change his fitness regime, lose a few kg etc.

Can’t do much about his first touch but a fitter Lukaku coupled with actual wingers who can actually deliver might be worth hanging onto.

I’d like to see his birth certificate though as he may just be 40......

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good mid table striker, not good enough for title contenders. Perfect for United so...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I actually like a lot about him but when you fail on such a standard level i.e the ability to control a football then you’ve got to go.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He scored 96 goals in 207 games. That's very far from "unbelievable". 28 in 66 for United.

And that's the thing, really. For a striker with such obvious technical limitations, he really doesn't even score that much. He had one season of 20+ league goals so it's not even that he's some supreme goalscorer, the ultimate poacher or anything like that. He's a decent PL striker.
113 goals in 252 apps, with mid table club's like west brom and Everton, pretty damn good really. Couple that with his international record, a goal every 180 or so minutes is decent for a striker, and that's what we're looking at here.
He can improve without doubt certain aspects of his game but he certainly doesn't deserve the scorn he gets on here.

Siorac

113 goals in 252 apps, with mid table club's like west brom and Everton, pretty damn good really. Couple that with his international record, a goal every 180 or so minutes is decent for a striker, and that's what we're looking at here.
He can improve without doubt certain aspects of his game but he certainly doesn't deserve the scorn he gets on here.
Yeah, he has a decent record. He also has poor all-round play (with the occasional great pass), a terrible first touch, and he can't use his size effectively.

In addition to all that, he's very streaky so he's not a reliable goalscorer, despite the decent overall record. Basically, he's a good striker for a side that wants to be in the top 8. If you have loftier ambitions, you need better.

Unfortunately, what with the rest of the squad in the state it's in, we might be stuck with him for the foreseeable future. We'll see.

ToToMarshall

I just wish he’d lose 10 kilos and could go back in time and learn how to control a football when he was a kid. He’d be the best in the business now.

Will Singh

There's a difference between hate and not good enough, Lukaku just isn't good enough but doesn't deserve the hate from the fans as if he's giving it 100% then we can't really ask for more. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but this is again down to the people who made the decision to buy him. Lakuku was a Mourinho signing but Woody stopped him getting a CB but allowed this so make what you want of it. Woodward OUT!

Woziak

We need to get him fit, 3rd place at the WC affected him as well as De Bruyne. United have much bigger concerns next season like how we fix the defence and finally get a decent right wing back.

The team does not score enough goals, we are simply not ruthless enough and need more options in attacking midfield and goals from wide Strikers because we do not have enough options. This is why United players tired so badly at the end of the season taking 8 points from 9 games. Last 9 league games 2 wins, 2 draws 5 defeats.

2014-15 squad had RVP, Falcao, Rooney, Di Maria, Rashford, J Wilson, Januaji, Mata, Lingard (9)
2015-16 Squad had Rooney, Mata, Depay, Martial, Rashford, Lingard(7)
2016-17 Squad had Rooney, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard (7)
2017-18 Squad had Lukaku, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, Lingard, Mata(7)
2018-19 Squad had Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Alexis(6)

There is a pattern here, you can not go into any season let alone a Europa league season with 6 strikers because 1 or 2 inevitable lose form and 1 or 2 get long term injuries, had Zlatan never got the injury he sustained, we may have kept him for the last two years and the team may well have competed for top 3 easily but we have never had any depth in the front 3 or 4 positions since Sir Alex left and that's why we fail to score maximum goals.

ALEXIS and Mata will go, so people want Lukaku to go as well, not this year we need to add Chong, Greenwood to Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard and then buy a young Daniel James and I hate myself for saying it but then spend another 70-80M on a Gareth Bale or Paulo Dyballa giving the attacking options 8 players with youth and a little experience.

Compare our current options to City or Liverpool;
Liverpool - Firminho, Origi, Brewster, Sturridge, Salah, Shaquiri, Mane, Lallana, Ox
City - Jesus, Aguero, De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva, R Stirling, P Fodden, Sane, Mahrez,

Both squads have pace, width, balance and different types of options and because they dominate the ball, the offensive players are not tracking back wasting energy and picking up needless injuries by being overworked. Although the front 3's expect to start each week, they know if they are not 100% the Manager will replace them, we simply dont have those options which is the main reason for our problems, add that to a diabolical defence and you have a shitefest of a squad put together under the reign of the most under qualified and inept CEO in our History, Ed Woodward!

We need to get him fit, 3rd place at the WC affected him as well as De Bruyne. United have much bigger concerns next season like how we fix the defence and finally get a decent right wing back.

The team does not score enough goals, we are simply not ruthless enough and need more options in attacking midfield and goals from wide Strikers because we do not have enough options. This is why United players tired so badly at the end of the season taking 8 points from 9 games. Last 9 league games 2 wins, 2 draws 5 defeats.

2014-15 squad had RVP, Falcao, Rooney, Di Maria, Rashford, J Wilson, Januaji, Mata, Lingard (9)
2015-16 Squad had Rooney, Mata, Depay, Martial, Rashford, Lingard(7)
2016-17 Squad had Rooney, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Lingard (7)
2017-18 Squad had Lukaku, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, Lingard, Mata(7)
2018-19 Squad had Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Alexis(6)

There is a pattern here, you can not go into any season let alone a Europa league season with 6 strikers because 1 or 2 inevitable lose form and 1 or 2 get long term injuries, had Zlatan never got the injury he sustained, we may have kept him for the last two years and the team may well have competed for top 3 easily but we have never had any depth in the front 3 or 4 positions since Sir Alex left and that's why we fail to score maximum goals.

ALEXIS and Mata will go, so people want Lukaku to go as well, not this year we need to add Chong, Greenwood to Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard and then buy a young Daniel James and I hate myself for saying it but then spend another 70-80M on a Gareth Bale or Paulo Dyballa giving the attacking options 8 players with youth and a little experience.

Compare our current options to City or Liverpool;
Liverpool - Firminho, Origi, Brewster, Sturridge, Salah, Shaquiri, Mane, Lallana, Ox
City - Jesus, Aguero, De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva, R Stirling, P Fodden, Sane, Mahrez,

Both squads have pace, width, balance and different types of options and because they dominate the ball, the offensive players are not tracking back wasting energy and picking up needless injuries by being overworked. Although the front 3's expect to start each week, they know if they are not 100% the Manager will replace them, we simply dont have those options which is the main reason for our problems, add that to a diabolical defence and you have a shitefest of a squad put together under the reign of the most under qualified and inept CEO in our History, Ed Woodward!
Cole, Sheringham, Giggs, Cruyff, Blomqvist, Yorke, Solskjaer (7)
Saha, Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani (5)

You don't need 9 or 10 forwards. You need 2 or 3 top forwards.

Tiber

I don't hate him. I just didn't think he is a top class striker and never wanted to sign him in the first place

People will find agendas in anything, his record against the top six should be better, but he's still scored as many goals in the premiership as Son this season, who I'm sure many would have in the team rather than Lukaku!!
The whole teams fitness needs to be improved, Ole highlighted that, so why you feel the need to single out Lukaku is beyond me?!
It’s not an agenda. You pay £75-90m for a striker to make a difference in the big games. He doesn’t. He can only score against poor teams, and this season he’s even not done that anywhere near enough.

Highlighting his record against the top 6 shows that he’s not good enough. He could be a useful squad player, but his transfer fee and wages really don’t justify that.

Utd’s fitness is bad, but Lukuku is shocking. I’ve never seen a top striker gasping for air after 25 mins, from one sprint - if that was in the last 10 mins or in extra time then fine. I’ve not seen any other player at Utd how is that unfit, so it’s perfectly appropriate to highlight it. Should we just ignore the fact that Lukuku couldn’t muster effort to get into the box, because he sprinted 50m a couple of mins beforehand. It’s utterly pathetic, and he deserves to be called out for it.

Son isint Spurs’ main striker - that’s a comparison that’s grasping at straws. The relevant comparison is Kane, who is light years ahead of Lukuku in goals scored, goals created, determination, fitness, attitude and application.

RedorDead21

It’s not an agenda. You pay £75-90m for a striker to make a difference in the big games. He doesn’t. He can only score against poor teams, and this season he’s even not done that anywhere near enough.

Highlighting his record against the top 6 shows that he’s not good enough. He could be a useful squad player, but his transfer fee and wages really don’t justify that.

Utd’s fitness is bad, but Lukuku is shocking. I’ve never seen a top striker gasping for air after 25 mins, from one sprint - if that was in the last 10 mins or in extra time then fine. I’ve not seen any other player at Utd how is that unfit, so it’s perfectly appropriate to highlight it. Should we just ignore the fact that Lukuku couldn’t muster effort to get into the box, because he sprinted 50m a couple of mins beforehand. It’s utterly pathetic, and he deserves to be called out for it.

Son isint Spurs’ main striker - that’s a comparison that’s grasping at straws. The relevant comparison is Kane, who is light years ahead of Lukuku in goals scored, goals created, determination, fitness, attitude and application.
Did we pay £75-90m for him to make a diff in the big games?...knowing he's always struggled to do that. Further evidence of us performing poorly not Lukaku. He's doing pretty much what he's always done in every respect.

Did we pay £75-90m for him to make a diff in the big games?...knowing he's always struggled to do that. Further evidence of us performing poorly not Lukaku. He's doing pretty much what he's always done in every respect.
Are you seriously suggesting we spent £75-90m on a striker to score less than 1 in 2, and rarely score against a decent side.

Can’t understand why anyone would defend his appalling record against our rivals. One would expect a player of that price, and his experience to make a step up. In fact he’s got lazy, fat, and lost any desire to be a top striker. He’s clearly a lot worse now than when he was at Everton. Twice the size, half the player.

haram

I’d rather rely on Martial, Rashford and Greenwood next season than see him in a United shirt ever again.
Delusion.

Best forward at the club and he is not the problem. I expect him to leave anyway.

Varun

Staff
I don't think I've hated more than 2 rival players ever, hating one of our own would be just bizarre.

The thing is though, he just isn't good enough. I don't think any of the others are good enough either though and think we need a striker as much as we need a RW and a CB.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I really dislike his playing, not the person. Seems like a good person but I don't really care. I'd rather have a crappy person who can play upfront.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’m not happy with the thread title, who could hate Lukaku? His life story to date is inspirational and he come across as such a good a decent person. He just not a good enough striker for us at the moment, but why hate him?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If he can do what he does in the first 30 mins for 90 mins he could be pretty good. His fitness needs a lot of work.

It’s always in the early part of the game he gets goal scoring opportunities that are make or break for the rest of the game. Then he just fades away for the rest of the game.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Delusion.

Best forward at the club and he is not the problem. I expect him to leave anyway.
See this is the problem United have. Lukaku actually is the best forward we have and he's crap.

That's how far standards have gone down

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
See this is the problem United have. Lukaku actually is the best forward we have and he's crap.

That's how far standards have gone down
He's also older than the others barring Sanchez. If anything, Rashford and Martial, attitude and work rate issued aside, being younger have to been given more leeway. To supplement them you need more from your more established attackers. Sanchez is abysmal in this regard. But Lukaku is also an issue, as he doesn't balance out the inconsistency of the other two, but adds to it with his own serious deficiencies.

Like most in this thread, I don't hate Lukaku. However his being technically so poor is an issue. Either we replace Rashford/Martial or him, becuase we cant do with every forward having a problem whether it be age, consistency or technical ability.

Saf94

Lukaku is our best striker but that’s not the issue. We can’t play a progressive forward thinking approach with Lukaku because he’s got no touch. Can you imagine Lukaku in Man City or Liverpool’s team? He’s too technically limited to play the type of football we should be playing.

The guy kills it when playing on the counter and attacking space, teams like Everton play that way and that’s why he did well. We shouldn’t be starting Lukaku if we want to play good football

John Blund

I like Lukaku. He gives good interviews. I always hope he scores. In a perfect world, he'd have the first touch of Berbatov or Zlatan. Then again, that would make him world class, and he'd be worth like £70M!

Professional players with the first touch of Lukaku and the left foot of Valencia makes me wonder if they don't see their own limitations. It's not like they're a foot short. They're lacking technical abilities, which they should be able to train? They earn a years salary every week - someone should force them to focus on their weakest skills. We don't need Lukaku to spend MORE time in the gym. He's beefier than most people. Valencia has been looking pumped since we signed him. I don't know why I nag about Valencia - he's out anyway.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
still been better than Rashford this season over all a far as I'm concerned

Woziak

Cole, Sheringham, Giggs, Cruyff, Blomqvist, Yorke, Solskjaer (7)
Saha, Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani (5)

You don't need 9 or 10 forwards. You need 2 or 3 top forwards.
You do know I was including wingers and attacking midfielders 2 or 3 top strikers do not score you 90 to 100 pl goals, even Salah and Mane with 44 goals only scored half of Liverpool's PL tally this season and you conveniently forget in both examples, the number of goals scored by Scholes, Beckham and even Veron and then Giggs, Hargreaves, Scholes, We had goals from all over the front 6 positions!

Manowar

Delusion.

Nobody hates Lukaku, they hate his technical deficiency, Haram, aka Lukaku's little brother. Who will replace him, in your opinion?

Certainly, he can be useful in certain scenarios but I don't think he will ever evolve into a top striker for the league with that awful record against top 6 rivals.

Will fetch decent money for our rebuild, too. So adios Lukaku, hope we can laugh at him in @GifLord's videos, but in another team jersey.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lukaku is our best striker but that’s not the issue. We can’t play a progressive forward thinking approach with Lukaku because he’s got no touch. Can you imagine Lukaku in Man City or Liverpool’s team? He’s too technically limited to play the type of football we should be playing.

The guy kills it when playing on the counter and attacking space, teams like Everton play that way and that’s why he did well. We shouldn’t be starting Lukaku if we want to play good football
Yet he's the main man in a very progressive Belgium NT. Why don't his technical limitations hinder him there?