Have Liverpool peaked?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Alisson was definitely the next big thing as keepers go when we signed him. He'd had one of the best seasons from a keeper in quite a while in serie A and Madrid actually tried signing him the same summer, which stalled our approach as he was waiting for them.

They tapped out at 30m though.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
When is the last time Liverpool lost a player to a "mega club"? Suarez in 2014? They just took Thiago from Bayern.
Coutinho?

They didn't have many to sell before, because their players were never that great.
They now have 11 or 12 that other clubs would love.

K_Ash

when was the last time they played without Robertson and TAA?

poleglass red

Thank god he wanted to leave. He was good enough, but Fabinho is just a completely different level.
they got caught short on this though, they typically like to sell and use funds to replace. They unchatacteristically let Can go on a free and had to fork out 40 plus to replace him. When Alcantara is fully settled and Henderson is back, can all 3 of them play in same mid or does one lose out?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
they got caught short on this though, they typically like to sell and use funds to replace. They unchatacteristically let Can go on a free and had to fork out 40 plus to replace him. When Alcantara is fully settled and Henderson is back, can all 3 of them play in same mid or does one lose out?
I think we've accepted players leaving on free as an acceptable way of operating. We knew he was leaving the previous summer, he was on offer but we didn't force the issue and Klopp was still happy to use him.

Same story with gini this season.

I reckon we'll see too many midfield constellations to have a clear first choice midfield.

Stacks

Coutinho?

They didn't have many to sell before, because their players were never that great.
It obviously worked out great for them, but Coutinho wanted out.
you are right. At that time they weren't title contenders. I feel that premier league clubs generally hold onto their players well. We haven't really lost anyone we wanted to keep since Ronaldo a decade ago.

RashyForPM

a lot of these players would probably be worse at other clubs too
No doubt. Aside from VvD and Mane, we couldn’t care less when they signed those players.
Also, there are only two of those 'top teams in sunny places', and there are talented footballers all over. They won't be buying Liverpool empty.

They've had Leeds, Chelsea, and Arsenal. How are those 'easy fixtures'?

I think so too. Not that Ole is trash, but I think a world class coach could get much more out of this Man Utd squad, and could be in the mix for the title (if Liverpool doesn't continue getting around 100 points) pretty soon if a few small squad issues are sorted out.

Not included due to a 'small fitness issue', Liverpool's line-up tweet said yesterday.

Matter of recruitment also, I think. Some players just have chronic issues.
Exactly, and why would those players leave the current 2nd best team in the world (don’t like saying that :rolleyes:)? That argument makes no sense.

Agree with your point about fixtures too. They’ve had the hardest start of any team this season.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If we'd bought any of those players, we wouldn't have moved an inch. Their system that Klopp has implemented and have them playing, makes the team better than the sum of their parts.

I think that's almost always why a Dortmund player flops at other clubs.
I think Liverpool are very strong at targeted scouting for their particular needs. Like, it's pretty clear how Thiago and Jota fit into Pool's playing style and squad. But in the case of Van de Beek, as much as I think he's a great player, I don't see him clicking as quickly with Man Utd's style. (Except if he instead indicates what direction United want to go into, of course; Liverpool have the advantage of already have the playing style they want.)
I reckon we'll see too many midfield constellations to have a clear first choice midfield.
Didn't you guys already rotate and change things a lot in midfield last season? Reckon that will just continue. (And Wijnaldum might still leave?) Plus, with Thiago around, Fabinho can be moved to CB to have stronger back-up there.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
When is the last time Liverpool lost a player to a "mega club"? Suarez in 2014? They just took Thiago from Bayern.
We lost Sterling to City in 2015. We were shite at the time though and I could understand him wanting to go even though I hated the fact that he did.

Fussball13251

Coutinho?

Coutinho was amazing for them... esp for klopp.

Read that wrong sorry. Thought you said their best players weren't that great.

I bet Coutinho now regrets moving. He could have been paid the same plus winning things at a ridiculous pace.

Let's be honest they'll probably win both league and CL this season.

When Allison made that save.. that was like Fergie's United with Schmeichel. Typical save from a team winning things.

Last edited:

Blake's 7

The opportunity for this Liverpool squad is immense. Having won big trophies in succession, they can now attempt to defend a Premier League Title and even emulate previous great sides by doing doubles and even chase a treble. They are in a position of strength and are reinforcing sensibly with some outstanding prospects developing from their youth ranks. Unfortunately I don't think they've peaked and even if they've levelled out there's a huge gap to be breached by everyone else.

TheLord

They have definitely peaked. The only question is how long will the peak last? I think they'll be favourites for the PL trophy up until next season. Then the cycle will end.

TheLord

Eight of their first-choice players who played in the last match - Salah, Mane, van Dijk, Allison, Firmino, Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum - are closing in on 30-years of age. There are a few other decent squad players who are on the wrong side of the 30s.
Surely they can't carry on their high-intensity football for more than two years. Most of these players may continue playing good football for another five to six years, but surely won't be the worldies they are now.
If Salah, Mane, van Dijk et al were all 24/25 years, I'd be quite nervous.

Paul_Scholes18

I hope they have peaked and are going to win nothing this season. Wishful thinking maybe because not seeing who should stop them in the league.
Hopefully they struggle a bit more in defense as we have seen signs at already.
Arsenal should have scored more goals and Chelsea missed a pen. If teams take their chances they can hopefully beat them.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
Eight of their first-choice players who played in the last match - Salah, Mane, van Dijk, Allison, Firmino, Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum - are closing in on 30-years of age. There are a few other decent squad players who are on the wrong side of the 30s.
Surely they can't carry on their high-intensity football for more than two years. Most of these players may continue playing good football for another five to six years, but surely won't be the worldies they are now.
Players not at risk are Alisson, Van Dijk (cuz he is a defender), Arnold, Robertson, Fabinho. Then you have more easily replacable players like Henderson (I know Liverpool fans like to overrate his importance, but he is replacable), Firmino (He is not in-form from at least a year and yet they are winning). Then you have Salah, Mane and Thiago now who will have maybe 3-4 years at top of their level.
So it doesn't look too bad for them, but they will need to find the right replacements for the wingers definately.

Stacks

Klopp the CNUT will just find adequate replacements. He seems to have a knack. He turned Dortmund into league and CL contenders (nearly did the double) and is doing the same here. Sad times

TheLord

Klopp the CNUT will just find adequate replacements. He seems to have a knack. He turned Dortmund into league and CL contenders (nearly did the double) and is doing the same here. Sad times
Let us not glorify Klopp and Liverpool more than they actually deserve. Liverpool have won a sum total of one premier league trophy in 30 years.

Untd55

Let us not glorify Klopp and Liverpool more than they actually deserve. Liverpool have won a sum total of one premier league trophy in 30 years.
He took them from seventh to Champions League and Premier League winners. I would say that is worthy of glorifying, if you would ever do that. Looks like they will win this season as well; gap might be even bigger than last season.

TheLord

He took them from seventh to Champions League and Premier League winners. I would say that is worthy of glorifying, if you would ever do that..
!

Leicester won the PL after finishing in 14th position the previous season (2014/15). Chelsea won the 2016/17 PL after finishing 10th in the previous season. There are many more examples of teams across Europe winning the league after finishing way below 7th in the previous season.

Sure, Liverpool have a good team and a good manager and may win the league for the next two years. But I will wait until they actually win those trophies before starting to glorify their achievements. Some people talk of Liverpool as if they are an era-defining team like the Barcelona team with young Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et al. We should be patient.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Eight of their first-choice players who played in the last match - Salah, Mane, van Dijk, Allison, Firmino, Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum - are closing in on 30-years of age.
This is why Liverpool are such a strong side. The majority of these high-quality footballers have grown up together in the same team over several seasons. They’re peaking together and it’s formidable. That’s obviously deliberate. In the same way it’s deliberate that Klopp has been reluctant to bring in too many new faces.

Pretty much the only side in the top 10 that aren’t in a state of transition.

For the first time in a few years there are now hints at the rebuild that will be ultimately required. That may lead to a regression of some kind but given Klopp’s brilliance, Liverpool will likely re-emerge as highly competitive.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
This is why Liverpool are such a strong side. The majority of these high-quality footballers have grown up together in the same team over several seasons. They’re peaking together and it’s formidable. That’s obviously deliberate. In the same way it’s deliberate that Klopp has been reluctant to bring in too many new faces.

Pretty much the only side in the top 10 that aren’t in a state of transition.

For the first time in a few years there are now hints at the rebuild that will be ultimately required. That may lead to a regression of some kind but given Klopp’s brilliance, Liverpool will likely re-emerge as highly competitive.
Crucially it’ll be less of a harder sell. We were in dire straits when he came to us. We’ve now won a league and CL back to back and look well placed to challenge. Refreshing the squad slowly and building the next side won’t take the long rebuild that was required this time.

He took them from seventh to Champions League and Premier League winners. I would say that is worthy of glorifying, if you would ever do that. Looks like they will win this season as well; gap might be even bigger than last season.
You seem to have missed the crucial part - the timeframe. It’s been a steady ascent over 4 years, not some sort of miracle transformation.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
We’ll definitely always be up there while Klopp is with us... and then after that it’s a could go one way could go another situation, so we’ll never know.
Once that dreaded day does come though and Klopp leaves I’d love to see the real Pep of the league, Pep Lijnders, get a shout. He’s working with the best right now and when you watch him in press conferences you feel like you’re watching a man with undoubtable football knowledge and a calmness to manage.

Untd55

You seem to have missed the crucial part - the timeframe. It’s been a steady ascent over 4 years, not some sort of miracle transformation.
But you could tell they would challenge for the title even in 17/18. As soon as January hit of that season, they were certain to challenge in the next. In 17/18, they were equal to City in terms of attack; only their defence held them back until January.

The signs were there two seasons before they actually won it. So, it actually only took him two seasons to take the seventh-place team to the Champion's League final (Karius and Bale were the deciders) and to that level. You also have to consider he had no summer transfer window in his first season either, having been signed at the end of it.

It was actually a pretty quick rise in comparison to most other league title winners, aside from Leicester. It is impressive that he has taken Liverpool above teams with greater resources than them (City, United, Chelsea).

But you could tell they would challenge for the title even in 17/18. As soon as January hit of that season, they were certain to challenge in the next. In 17/18, they were equal to City in terms of attack; only their defence held them back until January.

The signs were there two seasons before they actually won it. So, it actually only took him two seasons to take the seventh-place team to the Champion's League final (Karius and Bale were the deciders) and to that level. You also have to consider he had no summer transfer window in his first season either, having been signed at the end of it.

It was actually a pretty quick rise in comparison to most other league title winners, aside from Leicester. It is impressive that he has taken Liverpool above teams with greater resources than them (City, United, Chelsea).
I’m not saying it’s not a good achievement. It was the spin out on it. From 7th to first.

How about from 7th to first in 4 year whilst breaking the world record for a goalkeeper and the world record for a defender?

Any title win is impressive. It’s just not some sort of miracle transformation.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think Klopp has to take much of the credit for taking a fairly ordinarily bunch of players and combining simple but effective tactics with motivational skills and inhuman fitness levels to achieve what he has.

Enfant terrible

They've had Leeds, Chelsea, and Arsenal. How are those 'easy fixtures'?
At the given moment Chelsea and Arsenal are easy fixtures. Leeds were not. That's way I said fairly easy.

Chelsea is far from a derby winning side. They can outscore weaker opposition but you just knew they had nothing to do with that defence vs Liverpool.

Arsenal was way to easy. Arteta trying to impress with playing from the deep was also an easy guess. Although I think they'll be tougher opposition than Chelsea this year.

It seems to me Lpool are on a decline. Again, they'll prob defend the title, but I wouldn't be very surprised if they fail to do so.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
At the given moment Chelsea and Arsenal are easy fixtures. Leeds were not. That's way I said fairly easy.

Chelsea is far from a derby winning side. They can outscore weaker opposition but you just knew they had nothing to do with that defence vs Liverpool.

Arsenal was way to easy. Arteta trying to impress with playing from the deep was also an easy guess. Although I think they'll be tougher opposition than Chelsea this year.

It seems to me Lpool are on a decline. Again, they'll prob defend the title, but I wouldn't be very surprised if they fail to do so.
Arguing this way, I think you might find that Liverpool has nearly only easy fixtures this season - and that they're all 'game-raising cnuts' when they meet Man Utd... Also, I don't really see the difference between Leeds and Chelsea in your description.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We’ll definitely always be up there while Klopp is with us... and then after that it’s a could go one way could go another situation, so we’ll never know.
Once that dreaded day does come though and Klopp leaves I’d love to see the real Pep of the league, Pep Lijnders, get a shout. He’s working with the best right now and when you watch him in press conferences you feel like you’re watching a man with undoubtable football knowledge and a calmness to manage.
Except Lijnders totally messed up during his team at NEC back in the Netherlands. Of course, that was a very different experience (a poor and messy squad and no money, in the Dutch second level) from what taking over a functional Liverpool side would be for him; but he might well be a Meulensteen type (great assistant, crap boss). Remains to be seen, I guess.

Needham

Another Covid influenced thread title. Like this virus they're not done yet.

United58

!

Leicester won the PL after finishing in 14th position the previous season (2014/15). Chelsea won the 2016/17 PL after finishing 10th in the previous season. There are many more examples of teams across Europe winning the league after finishing way below 7th in the previous season.

Sure, Liverpool have a good team and a good manager and may win the league for the next two years. But I will wait until they actually win those trophies before starting to glorify their achievements. Some people talk of Liverpool as if they are an era-defining team like the Barcelona team with young Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et al. We should be patient.
Liverpool were genuinely shit when he took over though; Chelsea had won the league in 2015 and were/are bankrolled by a sugar daddy

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They're here to stay unfortunately, City haven't done anywhere near enough this summer so Liverpool will win it again then Pep will be off and how do City realistically go up a level after him?

You're probably looking at Chelsea once they sack Lampard and if they invest in the areas they've somewhat neglected this summer as the only possible challengers to them in the near future

Loon

:lol:
Liverpool were genuinely shit when he took over though; Chelsea had won the league in 2015 and were/are bankrolled by a sugar daddy
Genuinely shit is a bit strong; they nearly won the league the season before.