Have Liverpool peaked?

mad1max954

I have been looking through Liverpool’s player profiles and whilst they have been exceptional over the last couple of seasons - reaching an incredible level of performance, if you look at the age profile an awful lot are in or towards the end of their prime Years.

Having so many players in their prime years might go some way to explaining their consistency (not to detract from how well klopp has done) too. However it is reasonable to assume that this team has peaked.

I think they get another year or so out of them, but it will not be much longer than that. Especially when you consider that older players, with the demands of how Klopp has them play, should be expected to get injured! Looking at their starters /first team players:

30 or over:
Milner, Henderson

29 years old:
Wijnaldum, VVD

28 years old:
salah, mane, firminho

Attacking players, especially those that rely on their speed generally fade around 29 I think.

henderson runs with his knees;) so it’s likely he could start struggling soon.

VVD as a defender I expect will go on longer, though he is a big guy so you never know.

It will be telling what Klopp does in the transfer window.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They have had 2 and a half amazing years. More than the peak of their individual players, they will face a huge challenge of focus and intensity next season, especially after achieving the holy grail this year. Sustaining this level for another year will be a huge ask. Especially as I am not convinced they are genuinely THAT good anyway, despite the points.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
They're not that old. I think the core of their team could deliver for another 3 or 4 years quite easily.

Avoiding complacency will be tricky though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They've undoubtedly peaked as a team. But that's not to say they can't stay at that peak for a few years!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Klopp said he will leave in 2024, and take a year out at that point, I don't think Liverpool has peaked, but I also think the squad will have to transition after Klopp.

It's not easy to keep a squad going year in year out without the same manager, and there's no telling how long it'll take to replace players like VVD some day.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's not the physical, it's the mental where I think they may have peaked.

They've kept up a phenomenal pace for 24 months, same as City prior to this season. It's hard to maintain that for much longer, especially as all the talk is they won't make huge improvements to the team/squad this summer. This season they also had the pain of losing last year to carry them, they don't have that next season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I have been looking through Liverpool’s player profiles and whilst they have been exceptional over the last couple of seasons - reaching an incredible level of performance, if you look at the age profile an awful lot are in or towards the end of their prime Years.

Having so many players in their prime years might go some way to explaining their consistency (not to detract from how well klopp has done) too. However it is reasonable to assume that this team has peaked.

I think they get another year or so out of them, but it will not be much longer than that. Especially when you consider that older players, with the demands of how Klopp has them play, should be expected to get injured! Looking at their starters /first team players:

30 or over:
Milner, Henderson

29 years old:
Wijnaldum, VVD

28 years old:
salah, mane, firminho

Attacking players, especially those that rely on their speed generally fade around 29 I think.

henderson runs with his knees;) so it’s likely he could start struggling soon.

VVD as a defender I expect will go on longer, though he is a big guy so you never know.

It will be telling what Klopp does in the transfer window.
No. The most important part of their game is their wingbacks and they have plenty more years.

Others are replaceable, even the front 3.

mad1max954

They're not that old. I think the core of their team could deliver for another 3 or 4 years quite easily.

Avoiding complacency will be tricky though.
no chance will they deliver with salah firminho and mane all at 32?!

Greck

They'll still be good even with a slight drop off but imo they will soon approach that point Spurs did where failing to invest in the team could see a massive drop off

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hard to say. They are contenders for trophies again next season of course but there's no way they'll win the league as comfortably and dominately but maybe they'll win the league with 10-15 points less and also win a another cup (a real cup not CWC). If so then that would be their best season.

Don't think 28 or 29 is old. It's so different between players. Some peak 30-32, others at 25-26. For Liverpool players especially, will they be on it the same way mentally? They were so close last season to win the league so they were very hungry this season and determined to win. They're in bad form now relatively speaking. Could be a motivational issue since they pretty much came back from the Covid break with "nothing" to play for. Still capable of dominating but definite difference in consistency. How will Klopp motivate them next season? Will the players have the same hunger? Will some players look to new challenges in order to add a variety to their personal trophy cabinet? Impossible to predict really.

Chairman Steve

I think they can go another season being the same but this time next year I get the feeling that they would need to invest in their squad to freshen it up, and they may feel a need to change their style as clubs will have become more accustomed to how they play.

The squad depth is pants to be honest but luckily for them they barely have injuries in their strong areas, namely attack. Klopp must have a dozen rabbit foots in that cap of his when Van Dijk, Salah, Mane and Firmino can churn out 100 games each over the past two seasons. They are one injury away from having Origi, Shaqiri or Minamino up front.

BlahRules

They can go this level for another year but if they don't buy players to replace and push the current players then they will fall behind.

If they rely on youth to help them keep up the level they're playing then it will be a huge mistake.

mad1max954

They are one injury away from having Origi, Shaqiri or Minamino up front.
they have been very lucky with injuries, and generally speaking when players get close to 30 they simply can’t do that many sprints week after week. I can see injuries creeping in soon.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
We're not going to be investing much this year due to Covid. After no real investment last year either, we will have to have a big window next summer.

Next season is hard to gauge as it's difficult to know how much other teams will improve.

It's likely that we won't have as good a season next year as we have had this year but even if we drop off by 10 points, we could still achieve 90 points. City will be going all out to reclaim their crown and with a couple of defensive signings, I think Utd will vastly improve on this seasons points total as well.

We had last seasons disappointment to push us this year but next year will be a test. Klopp has experience of defending a league title so it'll be interesting to see how he gets us going but even as a normally pessimistic fan, I can't see why we won't be pushing to win it again.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think we can get another title challenge out of this group without any serious additions, but within the next 2/3 years we’ll need to replace all of the front three. In the next 3/4 we’ll have to replace Van Dijk too.

That’s where the challenge will be. I do think we’ll put another title challenge next season though.

I’m curious about our financial situation though. We’ve paid loads in agents fees for Alisson & Van Dijk, and still haven’t seen all of the Coutinho money. Two summers in a row with no major signings is risky.

Still I’d be shocked if there was a huge drop off as soon as next season. Players like Mane, Salah & Van Dijk should be fine for another season or two.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Oh I should add we won’t hit 90+ points next season. Doing that for three years in a row is unheard of in the Premier League.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Motivation after that first title win is always interesting. Chelsea in Mourinho's second spell just fell off a cliff as did Leicester although of course that was just an abnormal event.

Better guide is probably Man. City flopping badly in their title defences after 2012 and 2014 considering the core of their squad was still pretty young in those days. Their transfer dealings after both title wins were really poor so that's the danger for Liverpool.

Agree with Klopper, they'll struggle to hit 90 points next season so chasing pack will be much closer. Injury to Van Dijk would hurt them more than losing one of the front 3.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Surely their lack of bringing youth through will affect them eventually?

As for now, they seem to have been surviving off motivation and talent more than good football recently. A drop in motivation could be fatal. They'll still be up there though, unless clubs go nuts over summer, which seems unlikely now.

Eddy_JukeZ

Oh I should add we won’t hit 90+ points next season. Doing that for three years in a row is unheard of in the Premier League.
You might have to again.

I would be surprised if next season's title winner is under 90 points.

Hoof the ball

If they can reinvigorate the squad with some new players, then yes. The biggest issue is that a squad that is static is also a squad that is complacent. Threat of competition leads to renewed motivation. It'll be very easy for them to rest on their laurels and for their form to dip.

Mr Smith

Would be more correct to say they are at their peak, but they can't get away with too many more years before refreshing the squad.

Its why I feel we are progressing at a really good rate; we will be their right when Liverpool and City start to slip.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We're not going to be investing much this year due to Covid. After no real investment last year either, we will have to have a big window next summer.

Next season is hard to gauge as it's difficult to know how much other teams will improve.

It's likely that we won't have as good a season next year as we have had this year but even if we drop off by 10 points, we could still achieve 90 points. City will be going all out to reclaim their crown and with a couple of defensive signings, I think Utd will vastly improve on this seasons points total as well.

We had last seasons disappointment to push us this year but next year will be a test. Klopp has experience of defending a league title so it'll be interesting to see how he gets us going but even as a normally pessimistic fan, I can't see why we won't be pushing to win it again.
That's crazy. You spent nothing last summer and only a peanut in January. You won CL last season & PL this season. I seriously don't understand why your club isn't trying to invest this year, covid shouldn't be a big deal since you invest nothing last year. Need to strength the quality of depth squad at least, been fortunate not to get long term injuries on your full backs, Salah, Mane & VVD.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
We can be certain that they’re not replicating this season’s form with this squad. So with that, it’s fair to say they peaked. That said, they’ll certainly be in contention for another title. But this time, they’ll have more top teams to deal with: City will still be loaded, United are in 1st place form and will add effective players, and Chelsea have youth and quality.

meamth

I think they will maintain next season, the season after is the season they have to start rebuilding with wonderkids.

If Klopp is leaving in 2024, I think he will leave when the team is peaking again. Weird.

Tarrou

I don't think they've peaked as in they are on the decline, but it's hard to see them getting much better after two ~100 point seasons. I think we're miles off in terms of bettering them next season, that is for sure.

The question is will Klopp rejuvenate the team to continue dominating after this 'cycle'? I have no idea if he intends to stay long term, but hopefully not. Maybe he'll be tempted by a big club or the German national job?

This is will Fergie was unrivalled. Whenever a team got to this stage he was already thinking about the next one, and he didn't mind waiting 2/3 years for the next team to blossom.

ReddevilTinu

SAF had mentioned earlier that it's a 4 year cycle. You need to replenish the squad and need to add players or let go of players who you think have peaked and willb reduce their market value.
Prime example was RVR who was sold just to promote Rooney and Ronaldo

Water Melon

I see City as favourites to win the prem next season. With no CL and having the squad that they posses, the noisy neighbours are likely to be the next champions. Here is hoping we win it the season after.

ReddevilTinu

I see City as favourites to win the prem next season. With no CL and having the squad that they posses, the noisy neighbours are likely to be the next champions. Here is hoping we win it the season after.
Yes that would be the case however we need to have three way race with City and Liverpool. This summer transfer window has importance since it will show clubs faith in the manager

Judas

Open to offers
It seemed unthinkable they could do as well this season as last season, they managed. It wouldn't shock me if they have another ridiculous season next season, they'll challenge for sure, but physically, mentally and logically speaking you have to feel it'll be tougher now. Plus I simply think the competition next year could in theory be the most intense for the title ever.

GoldanoGraham

They will not reach this seasons heights again. Think they had peaked by end Jan - that midfield isn’t the strongest and now that they’ve won the CL and the Prem the hunger wains.....if you took Mane out of that team they would be nowhere near as effective....
Could see it like this next season:
1. City
2. Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Liverpool

All much much tighter than this season.....and once Pep (soon) and Klopp leaves (after Salam and Mane go) it will be back to Utd and Chelsea slugging it out for the next few years.....the cycle restarts

Web of Bissaka

They're reaching their peak there.

I think Klopp need to start freshen up the squad with new players that are at their starter levels for squad competition if he want to maintain compete winning.

That squad with players pretty much win everything already. League and CL.

What's more left to win?
Nothing. They will start being complacent if not already (midway of this season).

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
That's crazy. You spent nothing last summer and only a peanut in January. You won CL last season & PL this season. I seriously don't understand why your club isn't trying to invest this year, covid shouldn't be a big deal since you invest nothing last year. Need to strength the quality of depth squad at least, been fortunate not to get long term injuries on your full backs, Salah, Mane & VVD.
We don't have City's owners. The owners have just invested £50m into a new training facility, they obviously built the new main stand and they have spent a lot on the ground work for the new Anfield Road end. Couple that with all the new contracts that they've thrown out including to Klopp and the money just isn't there. We've never been the richest club in the league and our owners are trying to make us sustainable. If Civid hadn't happened, then we'd be getting 2 or 3 players in this year I'm sure but as no one knows the future and no one knows how long matchplay revenue isn't going to brought in for, the owners don't want to spend now to find we're fecked in the future.

neilv93

They will not reach this seasons heights again. Think they had peaked by end Jan - that midfield isn’t the strongest and now that they’ve won the CL and the Prem the hunger wains.....if you took Mane out of that team they would be nowhere near as effective....
Could see it like this next season:
1. City
2. Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Liverpool

All much much tighter than this season.....and once Pep (soon) and Klopp leaves (after Salam and Mane go) it will be back to Utd and Chelsea slugging it out for the next few years.....the cycle restarts
No chance Chelsea finish above Liverpool next season, not with Lampard in charge. They cannot defend whatsoever and literally need an entirely new backline (which they may well buy but they've already spent a wedge on Ziyech and Werner). However, I do think that'll easily be the top four next season - Arsenal and Spurs are finished, Leicester will sell a few players and Wolves/SHU are overachieving unsustainably IMO.

Falcow

I think they have peaked but the question is then how long can they maintain that peak. I dont think they can go this summer again without strengthening without it having a negative effect either this season or next. An injury to VVD and they are screwed for instance.

Motivation already looking like an issue for the front three. Midfield needs improvement and as said they cant afford an injury at the back.

Hopefully they have peaked like Blackburn did after winning the league in 1995!

ariveded

Many their players still have yet to reach their peak and have time in their career.

Yet, it’s 2 years with basically same squad. And its always true where using the same method, trick eventually will fail. Everything has a limit. They do need new spark, and ideas for new season.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Dominating teams used to be stacked with 30-35 year old players yet suddenly we`re talking about teams peaking because their key players are 28?

Liverpool might as well have peaked but mostly because they`re not doing any re-investing in the squad. Signals coming out from them, that someone like Thiago is too expensive would have me worried as a Liverpool fan, their last strengthening was Alisson 2 years ago. If they don`t buy at least one, better two quality players this summer I expect a drop-off. Klopps tactics can only paper over the cracks for so long, Henderson and Wijnaldum are simply not as good as Pool fans want people to believe, its a miracle they`ve had so much success with that midfield.

Oldyella

We don't have City's owners. The owners have just invested £50m into a new training facility, they obviously built the new main stand and they have spent a lot on the ground work for the new Anfield Road end. Couple that with all the new contracts that they've thrown out including to Klopp and the money just isn't there. We've never been the richest club in the league and our owners are trying to make us sustainable. If Civid hadn't happened, then we'd be getting 2 or 3 players in this year I'm sure but as no one knows the future and no one knows how long matchplay revenue isn't going to brought in for, the owners don't want to spend now to find we're fecked in the future.
I think that's partly why Klopp has been talking up the youth. He needs to keep the squad on its toes and if he cant spend money, pressure needs to be applied from young players coming through.