Have we bought a midfielder yet? (Jan 2022 edition) No! Dog sipping coffee: This is fine.

croadyman

Only bought three DM's in last seven years. Matic was good for a season, Schneiderlin couldn't make the step up from Southampton and Bastian was sadly well past his prime

jesperjaap

We need two midfielders, however got this gut feeling will only bring one in IF Pogba stays
[/QUOTE]

Withour a doubt, in fact Pogba, VDB leave and Matic moves on, we are literally left with McFred and mayb eneed three.

For me last summer there are three opinions of what happened.

a) We had a real target and missed out on them lke we did Bellingham (Camavinga maybe?) and didnt have a back up plan
b) Our targets changed with the Ronaldo sudden tranfer situation
c) We had no target

If its the last it is totally inept as the need was obvious. We didnt see big big links with a target the summer gone, so I feel it is the ROnaldo situation changed things.

Again in January we could have made moved for several free signings chea. Kamara would have bee the perfect sigign for me, fact we didnt go in for him cheao makes me think he isnt a genuine target.

Id like to think we were all in for Rice but I fully expect up to make a signing liek Tielmans this summer. Good player, but not the right type for me, think t woul dbe another poor transfer if we did do it personally. Thinlk we need an intelligent defensively minded midfielder who can read the game well and track runners, thats what we miss now Matic is older. Hope to see Mjebri break through to a degree before the season ends

The Irish Connection

I’d go for Kamara on a free. Then try for De Jong and Tchouameni. Think we need 5 players now that Greenwood is gone.

We Need Another Rebuild

After watching the game last night Kondogbia ran the game by tackling anything that moved allowing Athletico to transition quickly meaning we were constantly on the backfoot

Llorente was constantly breaking the lines with passed

For me Tchouameni could play the Kondogbia role breaking up attacks and a player like Tielemans who could pass through the lines and control the tempo of the game

They would both cost about £100m and are 24 & 22 respectively still have room to grow and develop under a quality manager

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Garner ready next season? Don't think so. Promising player perhaps but not at the level required.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thoughts on Kalvin Phillips if Leeds go down?
Wouldn't be a bad signing but he'd likely cost a big fee. He's also playing for a head coach that implements man oriented pressing, which places extreme pressure on players like Phillips. Declan Rice on the other hand is playing under Moyes, who is much more conservative and implements a collective approach to defending in numbers.

SirScholes

By all accounts Garner will be ready next season for us.
But we would still need a DM to come in.
Ralf and or the new manager will be certain to get one in.
No, he looks alright in the championship. Doesn’t look like he’s a player that would solve our problems

croadyman

Not by himself of course.
As I said we must still get in a proven DM.
But Garner will certainly get games and will grow into a top player for us.
Yeah DM top priority by an absolute country mile, would then say it's striker due to Mason & Edi situation. Next is either starter CM if Pogba leaves or rotation if he goes. After it's between RW, CB or maybe attacking RB.

We Need Another Rebuild

Could have been discussions over Tchouameni last night between Rangnick & Mitchell even if informal as he would trust his opinion as he recruited him to Leipzig

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
How about Garner? Get him into the team, looks the part.

Neves looks like he could be a decent option.

Franck Kessie too.

That's three new bodies into midfield.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's playing really well for Lyon and if he doesn't sign the contract then he's going to be a very low risk, high reward type of signing for someone.

jesperjaap

He's playing really well for Lyon and if he doesn't sign the contract then he's going to be a very low risk, high reward type of signing for someone.

Yes I think he is a good player, if we are as weprobably need to, to sign two midfielders this summer, think he is definately a good option alongside a more defensive midfield signing.

We missed out on the best young midfielder in Europe in my opinion in Camavinga. Did read today an article rumouring we bid £70M to Madrid fro him in January which I find hard to believe. He is a potential superstar.

I feel there are two or three other potential superstars in the French league, cant comment much on Tchouanemi as only really seen him for France, the positions of potential superstars are out wide and up front though.

But there are a fair few good mifielders in France who would improve us, Kamara for free and Caqueret relatively cheaply would be astute signings if we need to sign a few this summer. I also like Ugochukwu who has come in for Camavinga at Rennes whenever I have seen him who is just 17.

reddevilz007

Tchouameni and Caqueret for 65 mil. Getting Brozovic on the free would be a wise transfer.

Let Pogba leave, get rid of Matic. Ideally, getting rid off one of Fred and McTominay would be great.