Have we hit rock bottom yet?

UpWithRivers

Can there be any consolation in thinking it can't get any worse and we have been through the worst of it or is it possible we are in for worse experiences than this season

Elcabron

I think we have, I genuinely don't see how it can get any worse. Performances, attitude, desire, work rate all lacking. No idea what our tactics are.

In some respects, ETH has a lot of low hanging fruit to start with. Minimum of four or fine strong signings required this summer. We need two midfielders and two full backs. Don't even care if we don't sign an attacker so long as we concede less than 30 league goals next season I think I will be happy. Fed up of seeing us play like we are drunk.

dove

Probably. Now we will start digging deeper.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Well it could always get worse, always.
Hopefully this season is a catalyzer for a brighter time but there is no guarantee, especially if we hold on to these lot.

croadyman

I think we have, I genuinely don't see how it can get any worse. Performances, attitude, desire, work rate all lacking. No idea what our tactics are.

In some respects, ETH has a lot of low hanging fruit to start with. Minimum of four or fine strong signings required this summer. We need two midfielders and two full backs. Don't even care if we don't sign an attacker so long as we concede less than 30 league goals next season I think I will be happy. Fed up of seeing us play like we are drunk.
Yeah desperately need RB, CB, DM & ST as absolute minimum this window, however would still be lacking a CM & RW as well.

Jericho

We're not at rock bottom yet. If we continue this shite into next year we won't even be anywhere near 6th or 7th.

hobbers

If West Ham were to win both their remaining games, granted one is vs City, they will finish in Europa and we will be in the Conference.

Alfie092

Nope we haven't hit rock bottom as of yet. People say we have hit rock bottom and say it cannot get any worse... but believe me it can!

We have been saying for years "we have hit rock bottom, it can't get any worse surely?" but what we have done this season is far worse than any other season post Ferguson. We can easily finish 8-10th next season and that isn't me exaggerating! The signings we make can easily flop and with so many players leaving, we can become far weaker than we already are.

While it wasn't still acceptable, in recent years we was at least getting into the top 4 and getting to some semi finals/finals of cups. This season we were not even close to winning a trophy and have been out of the top 4 race with several games still to play.

With City and Liverpool being arguably the 2 best teams in the world, it automatically takes up 2 out of the 4 CL spots and instantly making it ever so difficult to win any domestic cups. We are then also competing with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal, while eventually Newcastle and maybe 1-2 other clubs would look to break into that top 4, it makes it extremely difficult for us to just get back into the top 4 yet alone challenge for trophies.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist as I am usually really positive but unless we make the right signings and they hit the ground instantly, we could be in for another tough season again next season.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Nah not yet, that'll come when we finish in the Europa Conference League, City win the league and Liverpool finish with the FA Cup and European Cup

Fun times

Jonesno.8

Hopefully we've bottomed out now but my fear is how quickly TH gets here ie. Does he go on a holiday after Ajax finish up next week or get started right away. Do we think we do our business quickly or the usual last minute carry on we've seen in the past. It's the hope that kills you

Redlyn

Hopefully we've bottomed out now but my fear is how quickly TH gets here ie. Does he go on a holiday after Ajax finish up next week or get started right away. Do we think we do our business quickly or the usual last minute carry on we've seen in the past. It's the hope that kills you
He could come over and leave his wish list so they start working on it but he should definitely go on holiday for a few weeks. Better to come back refreshed and energised for the new season.

USREDEVIL

Rock bottom. We've just been "had" by Brighton 4-0. We've been "had" numerous times this year like a snitch in a U.S. prison. Trying to scrape our way to the Europa League with our tails between our legs. We're literally a one-man show up front with Ronaldo. At the back we're a noman show, more like a cardboard cutout defense. We are pathetic. But i think, probably stupidly, we'll beat Palace.

studs

We haven't even landed yet, but if we go into next season with a lot of these players, it won't be long ontil we hit the hard surface.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
No; we could end up 8th, like Arse.

People keep forgetting that 13-14 was a worse season. Of course, we might end up 7th this season, and Moyes 6th; then, this would be, absolutely, our worst PL season ever.

Withnail

Yes. I said the same the other day. The current run of form, press leaks, players who can't be arsed as they're off and others who apparently just can't be arsed, an interim who's not great at managing a football club, scrabbling around and probably needing a favour from City to make 7th feckin place.

This has to be rock bottom. Once the season is over it'll be up from here.

Withnail

People keep forgetting that 13-14 was a worse season. Of course, we might end up 7th this season, and Moyes 6th; then, this would be, absolutely, our worst PL season ever.
The OP is talking about this season being rock bottom. Obviously based on past experience we could shit the bed against Palace but that would be in keeping with how shit this season has been rather than a new low.

Maticmaker

Minimum of four or fine strong signings required this summer
And which 4/5 strong signings will that be?
Who would want to come to us just now, maybe in a years time when what ETH is up to becomes clearer, but right now I suspect wild horses and/or pots of money will not bring the right players at the moment.

The days when our money/reputation bought us the best are long gone, lots of competition now with new ideas to go with it. Once players knew that getting your feet under the OT table was equivalent to winning the lottery/(or in them days the football pools), that's why we still have so many players who should have gone, who are still hanging around.

We've been slipping and sliding for at least ten years now and are deep in the 'doo-doo'. ETH needs to come armed with lots of shovels (non lean on variety) to clear the decks down to the bare wood.

Abraxas

I'm not sure but I am optimistic we have. There could be some rocky patches next year to be honest. It's not going to be easy to wade through any morsels of positivity that are left and get everything right in the market and then knit it all together. We could be on for a slow start, but I do think on the balance of probabilities we have to be likely to improve overall next season. This season has featured a manager out of his depth, an interim, and a squad with numerous players that want to leave. Most of that should change.

Elcabron

And which 4/5 strong signings will that be?
Who would want to come to us just now, maybe in a years time when what ETH is up to becomes clearer, but right now I suspect wild horses and/or pots of money will not bring the right players at the moment.

The days when our money/reputation bought us the best are long gone, lots of competition now with new ideas to go with it. Once players knew that getting your feet under the OT table was equivalent to winning the lottery/(or in them days the football pools), that's why we still have so many players who should have gone, who are still hanging around.

We've been slipping and sliding for at least ten years now and are deep in the 'doo-doo'. ETH needs to come armed with lots of shovels (non lean on variety) to clear the decks down to the bare wood.
I guess we will see over the summer. There will be plenty of players willing to sign for us and not just shit ones either.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If West Ham were to win both their remaining games, granted one is vs City, they will finish in Europa and we will be in the Conference.
If you lose both to CP and Liverpool, they only need one win to draw even on points and they have a better GD.

glasgow 21

The OP is talking about this season being rock bottom. Obviously based on past experience we could shit the bed against Palace but that would be in keeping with how shit this season has been rather than a new low.
lets play a handful of the kids and at least get something out of the rest of the season.

Jonesno.8

At lease we could say ECL football has come back to Manchester.

MUFC OK

Thinking about this today, I'm really not sure that we have. We've settled on a permanent manager, which is a start. However, when a year or two ago it seemed we had gone through a bit of a rebuild I'm not sure who the exciting prospects are that we can be sure will do better next season and going forwards.

1) Regardless of ins/out this summer we will have to rely on players we have seen not to be good enough. Its clear we cannot get rid of all players who have been shown up this season: nearly all of McTominay, Fred, Maguire, Rashford, Telles, Shaw, Dalot, AWB will likely be here next season and I'd guess at least 3 will be starting every week. How many of these have shown to be leakers/not willing to put the work in?

2) Transfer policy - Hearing today that a forward is our priority position scared the life out of me. Nunez for example is a great young forward but that position is secondary to 2 midfielders and fullbacks in my opinion. Maybe a versatile forward who can play off the right or up front is a better option. Regardless of this, I worry that we will ponder over the perfect type of players to bring in and be left shopping for second and third rate options this summer. Somehow Arsenal did okay business last summer despite being in that position - though I expect much of their success was down to a new found feel good factor there and chronically lowered expectations which I struggle to see at United, plus no european football.

3) Relative strength of league - City and Pool will finish 20+ pts ahead of us next season regardless of what happens in the summer/with ETH. Then Arsenal, Spurs are ahead of us and will build further, Chelsea too presuming they can sign players.

4) First seasons of Pep, Klopp - the best two managers in the world arguably and yet they didnt achieve/struggled to achieve top 4 immediately in a less competitive league at the time.

5) Glazer ownership - this is still the biggest issue for us, the culture they have created is the biggest factor in where we currently are and there's no sign that they are finished milking us dry yet.

So I'm definitely not sure we have hit rock bottom yet. Even under ETH it is not unfeasible that we finish as low as 8th next season in my opinion and we usually do slightly worse than I forecast in any case. The key thing I will be looking for is progress in terms of how we play, and application work rate and desire of the squad next term.

el3mel

We thought we hit rock bottom with Moyes.

We thought we hit rock bottom in LVG second season.

We thought we hit rock bottom in Mourinho's 3rd season syndrome.

We thought we hit rock bottom with Ole.

So I will say Man United have insane potential to surprise you with how much lower we can go every season.

el3mel

This is already worse than Moyes season. Back then we got 64 points and reached CL QF, also League cup semi final. Now we are finishing with maximum 61 points if we win our last game and went out of all competitions in earlier stages.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I assure you, it can get worse.

Right now, we are seeing bottom 5 form, but I would say that this team could show the worst form (ie. the form you'd associate with a team at the bottom of the league).
The issue we have is that the players just don't care and the manager can't do anything about their apathy.
The players have thrown ALL managers under the bus and ETH will also get the same treatment.
I've said this in other threads - ETH will not be our manager in 3 years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We thought we hit rock bottom with Moyes.

We thought we hit rock bottom in LVG second season.

We thought we hit rock bottom in Mourinho's 3rd season syndrome.

We thought we hit rock bottom with Ole.

So I will say Man United have insane potential to surprise you with how much lower we can go every season.
I couldn't have said it better, myself.