Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lights Out

It’s 2010 and we are Liverpool signing players like Paul Konchesky.
It only took them another 10 years to get it right.

Matt851

I miss the days when we though our ridiculous forward signing was going to be dybala

Highfather_24

There were posters actively being scornful of others for being concerned about the activity of the club at a time when all our rivals were scrambling for signatures and bedding them in. Indeed, Spurs have signed, what? *6* players this summer, an amount some posters on here poured scorn upon saying it's not feasible to sign so many players in a window. Spurs are also apparently seeking more players this same window - Conte is being backed to the hilt, unfathomably.

The frustrating bit isn't even the scorn and short-sightedness, it's that unless quoted, you won't hear a peep out of said posters now whilst the window looks like it's crumbling around us. There was always very real cause for concern and nothing to side with the club over given the track record of the last however many years you want to go back.

We're now left scrambling, practically as usual, having the tail chase the dog because we've fecked up a transfer window we should have been more prepared for than any other club in the country. Removing the chaos of the de Jong saga, we've still pulled up so mightily short that even the most sage heads are asking wtf is this club doing? It's a window that adjectives can't do justice to, so bad is it. Really grating when this comes after our worst PL of literally ever. Flabbergastingly bad.
Damn well said. Most of us could see this coming, the Bruno extension, the firing of Rangnick etc. Some just couldnt accept the fact that Murtough is not the saviour they thought he was. This club needs a proper DOF and recruitment team, and that's clear to see. But this happens every fecking summer, and I've stopped hoping for any real change. It seems like even ETH will be thrown under the bus.

Roboc7

There were posters actively being scornful of others for being concerned about the activity of the club at a time when all our rivals were scrambling for signatures and bedding them in. Indeed, Spurs have signed, what? *6* players this summer, an amount some posters on here poured scorn upon saying it's not feasible to sign so many players in a window. Spurs are also apparently seeking more players this same window - Conte is being backed to the hilt, unfathomably.

The frustrating bit isn't even the scorn and short-sightedness, it's that unless quoted, you won't hear a peep out of said posters now whilst the window looks like it's crumbling around us. There was always very real cause for concern and nothing to side with the club over given the track record of the last however many years you want to go back.

We're now left scrambling, practically as usual, having the tail chase the dog because we've fecked up a transfer window we should have been more prepared for than any other club in the country. Removing the chaos of the de Jong saga, we've still pulled up so mightily short that even the most sage heads are asking wtf is this club doing? It's a window that adjectives can't do justice to, so bad is it. Really grating when this comes after our worst PL of literally ever. Flabbergastingly bad.
I’ve already come across one poster who a week ago was offended I referred to it as a poor transfer window (response was something like poor window my arse). Just noticed them complaining in another thread about how bad a window it is. Sure there are plenty more in the same boat.

As you say this has been coming and felt inevitable, even though I expected it I really didn’t see sinking to levels of Rabiot and Arnautovic though.

RedDevil@84

There were many posters on the FDJ thread sending laugh emojis and doing ha ha hoo hoo and asking for thread bans for people who argued anything negative. I think this was the first time I saw this kind of ridiculous behaviour from certain posters who openly mocked people and called them moaners among other names. It was incredibly childish.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Arnautovic, SMS, Rabiot..

It's like we've ran out of ideas so have dug out some scouting reports from 5 years ago.

Kag

Yesterday proved the suspicion that this was not the summer for a saga. The De Jong ordeal has disrupted any chance we had of organising the team ahead of a huge season and now we’ve created unnecessary pressure on the manager and turned the club back into a circus.

Lots of us saw this coming and got it in the neck for being ‘negative’. Always go with your gut, folks.

Ralph1386

I’ve already come across one poster who a week ago was offended I referred to it as a poor transfer window (response was something like poor window my arse). Just noticed them complaining in another thread about how bad a window it is. Sure there are plenty more in the same boat.

As you say this has been coming and felt inevitable, even though I expected it I really didn’t see sinking to levels of Rabiot and Arnautovic though.
There was one guy praising his own mental fortitude for staying positive in the FDJ thread for the entire summer. Like it’s some kind of social achievement :lol:

The Irish Connection

Wow. Well said man. The ridiculing of people with concerns was almost the worst part of our transfer window. It’s not what a forum should be about.

But I think it’s time to move on and not put energy into creating divides in the fan base. I have sent that open letter to the glazers from Twitter to Richard Arnold and loads of other club departments.
The email address is Richard dot Arnold at manutd.co.uk

Malcusss

Yesterday proved the suspicion that this was not the summer for a saga. The De Jong ordeal has disrupted any chance we had of organising the team ahead of a huge season and now we’ve created unnecessary pressure on the manager and turned the club back into a circus.

Lots of us saw this coming and got it in the neck for being ‘negative’. Always go with your gut, folks.
This really did my head in. Many saw this coming - to be honest, I can't see why people expected anything different after the last few years - but were lambasted left and right. Now, if someone says, look we saw this coming, the party line will be "You want to be right even if it's bad for the club". It's the other way around, what's bad for the club is carrying on like we did, not pointing it out!

Dominos

I look at it this way.

We play 4 league before the transfer window closes. That's 12 points that could easily be the difference at the end of the season. Even 1 point can be the difference at the end of the season. If you have your transfers done before the season starts and ready to play in the opening game, that's a massive advantage.

If we started against Brighton with 2 new CM's, a new right back and another first team attacker in the squad then we're probably sat on 3 extra points right now that could come in very useful in the top 4 race at the end of the season.

If your summer signings miss the opening 3 or 4 games of the season because you can't get deals over the line, like we do every year, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

The other obvious point is when you get to this point in the window, the majority of the best players on the market have already moved, teams are reluctant to let quality players leave this late in the window as it's too late to replace them, and if they do let them leave you have to pay a premium.

The "too early to panic" folk never learn their lesson, 9 years on and they still have their head in the sand.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Blame the manager then for the FDJ saga. This is his obsession not the clubs. He clearly doesn't seem that interested in joining us either so I think Erik has been taken for a ride.

Laurencio

We forgot to disable the cnut option in players database.
Moneyball in action. Players with issues are always undervalued in the market. They are cheaper than their ability should suggest and if you can keep their issues in check their value will rise accordingly.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

can't argue with a word of this... although @Fortitude you're bound to get an official warning for being so "negative"

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Every fecking year timeline on CAF is the same.
June; optimism and calling names to those who think that we are doing badly.
July; lots of people still defending club and trying to find positive things.
August; reality hits

Every fecking year!

mshnsh

Sevilla just signed Isco on a free transfer. LA galaxy signed Puig. I know they are rejects of Real and Barca respectively but I feel they still have something to offer and are definitely upgrades on the shit in our midfield.

Speako

‘Hey Scholesy, yeah it’s Sir Alex, listen could you do me a wee favour and bring your boots with ye to Brentford on Saturday…’

ChorltonReds

I understand the wish to have something different up front, so wonder why there's seemingly no interest in Belotti. Proven scorer, definitely different to what we have, hard worker etc. and on free. Probably reasonable wages too. He's been linked with Roma, but hasn't actually signed for them.

We could definitely take him from under Roma's noses.

Sorry - meant to put this in the 'what do we still need thread'.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

just too depressing at this point. Feel like even the average fan with a copy of football manager could handle shit better than our club does.

Paul778

How is it so difficult for our club to actually sign people? Lots of column inches but feck all in terms of actual action.

After the weekend we should be actioning the deals we've already done the ground work on.

FerociousCorgis

unfortunately saw this coming. Ridiculous how we are in this position yet again with another shambolic transfer window

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Sevilla just signed Isco on a free transfer. LA galaxy signed Puig. I know they are rejects of Real and Barca respectively but I feel they still have something to offer and are definitely upgrades on the shit in our midfield.
The feck? He's gone to MLS at age 22?

He might not be good enough for Barca, but there surely would have been teams in better leagues than that who would have wanted him.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
The feck? He's gone to MLS at age 22?

He might not be good enough for Barca, but there surely would have been teams in better leagues than that who would have wanted him.
Yes, incredibly weird career move

LordSpud

It’s 2010 and we are Liverpool signing players like Paul Konchesky.
It only took them another 10 years to get it right.
The fans fought tooth and nail to get their owners out and FSG in. We are likely stuck with the Glazer's until its probably too late to make a come back.

Lights Out

Oh but remember the thread title? We signed 3 players, you MOANY GITS.
Yeah that was cunningly changed without a mention.

All I keep thinking, trying to be optimistic, is Arsenal lost their first 3 games last year and were in a Top 4 battle until the end of the season.

That’s the only hope I have, and I know it’s the hope that kills you.

Matt851

Yeah that was cunningly changed without a mention.

All I keep thinking, trying to be optimistic, is Arsenal lost their first 3 games last year and were in a Top 4 battle until the end of the season.

That’s the only hope I have, and I know it’s the hope that kills you.
Arsenal actually had a decent transfer window last year despite their poor start.

Status
Not open for further replies.