Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So we are putting all our eggs in the De Jong basket? We can’t sign others while negotiating for one player?
Ten Hag would be to blame for that i guess. He wants De Jong badly and he's not willing to risk losing the budget to sign him by signing in other positions first.

Ralph1386

So we are putting all our eggs in the De Jong basket? We can’t sign others while negotiating for one player?
I share your concerns but mostly on the playing side. I like De Jong as a player, but if he gets injured or flops for whatever reason, we are back to McFred, which we saw that even teams from the bottom of the table can overrun. If only we could get two decent midfielders.

Andy_Cole

I’m hoping all other transfers are super secretive. I guess Barca let the cat out the bag with De Jong, but perhaps the others we have lined up will be finalised quickly.

stevoc

This is where I disagree with you and put more of the blame on the club and Ole. They should have privately told him outright last summer that he wasn’t in their plans ( which he wasn’t) and put him on the market for a reasonable price. That’s not what they did. Whether you think he was happy to sit on the bench or not, he wouldn’t have had much choice.
I get what you're saying mate and the club aren't blameless but Solskjaer barely playing him for the calendar year of 2020 and then loaning him out because he couldn't even make the bench most weeks should have already told him that surely.

stevoc

Yet again we overpriced and end up with diddly.
Agree 100% mate I said last summer we'd be doing well to get £10-15m for him and that would have been a good deal. But some people including the clowns in charge last summer thought he was a £30-40m player.

We did the same with Darmian and a few others.

Dominos

Ten Hag would be to blame for that i guess. He wants De Jong badly and he's not willing to risk losing the budget to sign him by signing in other positions first.
That would be the club's fault for giving him such a pathetic budget when we need about 5 players. You would take the estimated max price De Jong would ever cost, and spend what you have left of the budget on your other targets. If we can't commit to any more spend until De Jong is done it's because we're skint or completely incompetent.

Ralph1386

I get what you're saying mate and the club aren't blameless but Solskjaer barely playing him for the calendar year of 2020 and then loaning him out because he couldn't even make the bench most weeks should have already told him that surely.
Direct communication and actually trying to sell him for a realistic price would have been better management IMO.

stevoc

Direct communication and actually trying to sell him for a realistic price would have been better management IMO.
The latter I agree with the former I don't know. To be honest I'm not even convinced he was promised any substantial game time.

Ralph1386

The latter I agree with the former I don't know. To be honest I'm not even convinced he was promised any substantial game time.
In many reports, including the one I posted earlier it said so. I wouldn’t put it past Solsjkaer to have done it just to be nice.

stevoc

In many reports, including the one I posted earlier it said so. I wouldn’t put it past Solsjkaer to have done it just to be nice.
Many reports say many things mate, personally I don't think he was ever made those promises but we'll never know for sure.

Whatever went on at United last summer between United/Solskjaer/Lingard/West Ham I doubt any of us will ever know the whole story. But even before last summer I was of the opinion Jesse was looking to run his contract down, so I've taken all the reports flying around the last year on the subject with a pinch of salt.

Ted Lasso

Accidentally posted in another thread. Probably more fitting here than the video thread.

TL :: DR : take a chill pill

Ed Woodward was here for almost a decade and it really wasn't until the tail end of that that the majority of fans saw through his facade and pinpointed him as one of the major bottlenecks in this club being successful again.

Fans turned on Moyes immediately, then LVG then Jose and even Ole before the general consensus was Woodward was Ultimately responsible and the numb nuts started showing up outside his house.

The new guys have been on the job and the same numb nuts , both in Manchester and online , are quick to anger and judgement before a single transfer window has gone by. One in which it's a new manager that just joined , one who dismissed the technical consultant who was in place and lined up target suggestions. We started from scratch with Rangnick gone.

And yet here we are - the pain and resentment that built up over so many years is being misdirected because of fear of the same sht happening again. I get it. But my goodness it's leading to some unhinged behavior like showing up at the new ceos house and the after he does a solid of opening up, trashing him on Twitter and calling it a PR stunt.

Maybe it was a PR stunt but thats a moot point when you look at the thuggish behavior leading up.

One transfer window. One season. You have to give them all at least that. No matter how painful the process might seem. You're a fan not running the damn club. Right now the forum and stadium is just full of pain and resentment. It will take great restraint to get through this as a fan without coming off as entitled, unreasonable and insufferable.

Might as well channel the namesake here:

B E L I E V E

Reactions: golden_blunder

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And some thought this would be a big first window under LVG type summer with 6 coming in (and i think wll first teamers/no young cheap punts?). We're struggling to get our first one or two over the line currently.

Kaushal

And some thought this would be a big first window under LVG type summer with 6 coming in (and i think wll first teamers/no young cheap punts?). We're struggling to get our first one or two over the line currently.
I was also worried but I have calmed down a bit now. As frustrating as it is, I can understand the reasoning behind it. He wants to sort out the midfield first and foremost and given the difficulty in negotiations and constraints of our budget it’s understandable why it’s a priority. As we know offers have been made and negotiations for de Jong and Eriksen are going on. Once we sort that out and I expect it to be done before pre season, I’m sure we would move on to other targets and get it done fairly quick. That’s what I think and hope atleast if not then it’s full panic mode and anger takes over.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When the pre season training starts ? new signing need time to settle in.
Top players dont return for a while yet. Pre season for non nations league players is 27th June or something like that.

Ralph1386

Whatever went on at United last summer between United/Solskjaer/Lingard/West Ham I doubt any of us will ever know the whole story.
Yeah it comes down to your own opinion in the end.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Think Ten Hag is taking a big risk if it is true he is waiting on De Jong answer before he signs anyone else.

mctrials23

If de Jong is vital to the way ETH wants to play and not getting him changes the subsequent players that he wants then it 100% makes sense to wrap up this deal first.

Luckily we know very little about our transfer plans because the media like to link us with everyone under the sun. If we are still here in 2 weeks talking about no signings then I would be worried. Until then I am fine. Take a break guys. Enjoy the weather. Forget about football for a few weeks.

LordSpud

I think the groundwork has been laid out for a few other deals which we can trigger after De Jong is done. Just need to watch those dominos fall!

oz insomniac

The frustration is simply that there is little faith in the hierarchy ( even the current changed one) to act quickly and seriously in any transfer matter. The Woodward spell seems to be cast over the process, the one transfer at at a time negotiating seems to be a fast rather than a rumour.

Watching others act promptly and then looking at the tired and seemingly pedestrian moves made by the Man Utd team is wearing and not confidence inspiring. Guess waiting is the only outcome compared to the likes of Citeh, Pool and dare it be said Arsenal.

rbnZz

I don't understand why it would take so long. Top priority for United is Frenkie, that is obvious. Barca wants to sell Frenkie so they can move on to Bernardo Silva. What is the hold up? I can't imagine United's bid was incredible low. Ofcourse Barca wants more but if the management of United is at Barca, they could seal the deal within a few days.

Especially if you consider United can't ''threaten'' Barca to cancel the deal because Ten Hag wants Frenkie, everybody knows it. Barca can't ''threaten'' United to cancel because everybody knows Barca wants to sell Frenkie.

Its 1+1. Finish the deal so both clubs can move on.

Onerealunited

Don't expect many incomings

We have currently about 35 players in our first team setup (after the release of 6 players).
If we buy 1 defensive midfielder and one player elite RB or RW we should have an ok team to start with. This is unfortunately the maximum amount of players I believe we would buy for our start 11. If we can get the 2 players right (and exactly the types that fit Ten Haag's philosophy it should be an ok start
Remember most of the players in this team managed to get a 2nd place in PL the previous season. We need good coacking and a good tactic more than 11 new players

yamo123x

Is Murtough increasing our offer by 500k each day until Barca accept?

Love the optimism that we are going to announce 4 or 5 deals in one week, and its gonna fall in place like Dominoes.

Also got to love the Portugese press, apparently we have bid 51.8million for Evanilson. Record, A BOLA and O JOGO just pick a random porto player every few days and link him with utd to appease the transfer muppets.

De gea

dalot maguire garay telles

vitinha milinkovic-savic
fernandes

Evanilson ronaldo Gaitan

Loony BoB

Just did a run through at the PL transfers and it looks like only 10 teams have brought in players so far. I don't think we're being incredibly slow, tbh, especially when you consider we don't have CL football to lure players in fast.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Just did a run through at the PL transfers and it looks like only 10 teams have brought in players so far. I don't think we're being incredibly slow, tbh, especially when you consider we don't have CL football to lure players in fast.
It only matters who has brought in players, not how many clubs. Our attention should be solely on those we consider rivals for positions we think we can attain (top 4); it doesn’t matter what teams we shouldn’t be rubbing shoulders with are doing.

Those we are set to compete against are getting players in and bedding them early; the same teams who already finished above us last season. Meanwhile, we’re weaker than we were making a net negative distance between them and us even if they hadn’t brought in a single player yet.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So half the league has done business already, including every club that finished above us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Which ten have, and which ten haven't out of interest?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I hope you are not this short sighted in real life mate. Not everything is black or white.
Standards have to be maintained. This is what saf used to do.

Its one thing if the selling club declines but if the player doesn't want to come then its best to move onto the next target.

Loony BoB

So half the league has done business already, including every club that finished above us.
I wish I lived in your world where we finished above Chelsea. :(

Which ten have, and which ten haven't out of interest?
It recently hit 11, but:

No new players:
AFC Bournemouth
Brentford
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Fulham
Leicester City
Manchester United*
Wolverhampton Wanderers

New players:
Arsenal
Marquinhos (Sao Paulo)

Aston Villa
Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
Boubacar Kamara (Marseille)
Diego Carlos (Sevilla)
Robin Olsen (Roma)

Brighton & Hove Albion
Julio Enciso (Libertad Asuncion)
Benicio Baker-Boaitey (Porto)

Leeds United
Brenden Aaronson (RB Salzburg)
Rasmus Kristensen (RB Salzburg)
Marc Roca (Bayern Munich)

Liverpool
Fabio Carvalho (Fulham)
Darwin Nunez (Benfica)
Calvin Ramsay (Aberdeen)

Manchester City
Erling Haaland (Dortmund)

Newcastle United
Alex Murphy (Galway United)
Matt Targett (Aston Villa)

Nottingham Forest
Ryan Hammond (Millwall)

Southampton
Alex Iwumene (Sutton United)
Gavin Bazunu (Man City)
Mateusz Lis (Altay)

Tottenham Hotspur
Ivan Perisic (Free)
Fraser Forster (Southampton)
Yves Bissouma (Brighton)

West Ham United
Nayef Aguerd (Rennes)

Source: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2602004

*= Has a new manager since the end of last season. Yep, just us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So currently I'd say I'm kind of confident that we'll sign De Jong, Eriksen, and maybe Antony? Past that, no idea. Seen stuff for Dumfries and Malacia, both would be excellent as we get rid of AWB and Telles, but I'm not confident about either there. Random links to centerbacks without much substance once Timber decided to stay another year.

For me, if we sign De Jong, Eriksen and Antony, I'd go full priority on a right back and then that'd be a great window.

Status
Not open for further replies.