Have we turned a corner ?

AdNani

We seem to be making the right decisions. Be interesting to see who the Deputy director is. If it's Paul Mitchell i think we'll be well on our way.

DEdwards

I think we have been on a permanent roundabout for nine years, hopeful decisions in the next few weeks/months will finally see us finding an exit that heads north to the football peaks where United belong.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We have turned a corner, yes, but many turns remain before we reach the promised land.

According to my sat-nav, if we go left, left, left, left, left, left, rig no left, left, left, left and finally left again, we will reach our destination.

Scriblerus

Far too soon to say. We may be able to see the corner in the far distance, but it's quite possible we'll keep steering straight on and into the canal.

MUFC OK

I think this appointment will be a pivotal moment. I'm backing that the club is slowly learning from mistakes and I think Arnold is hell bent on proving he's not another Woodward. Our biggest challenge is shifting expensive signings on huge wages.

Lentwood

Well, if we DO end up with Ten Hag working with Ralf Rangnick then that HAS to be a huge improvement on any Woodward + combination.

The thing is, we're lucky in a way that we've been able to sustain years of terrible, terrible choices due to our continued commercial appeal.

2/3 years of good decisions from good football people should at least have us comfortably in the top 3 season-in, season-out....then we go from there

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There's a world where we're quite well positioned actually. If we get a proper structure in place, with a DoF who has the same view as Ten Hag and Ralf, there is a real opportunity here. Football always works in cycles, and Pep's current cycle is definitely not at its peak, and I have to imagine Klopp's LFC are similarly going to start aging into changes, especially the never-injured frontline (though Jota/Diaz has obviously improved options).

Further, Covid has absolutely wrecked most clubs' finances, so we should be well placed to have some leverage.

In two windows time, United could be utterly unrecognisable from the current performances. It'll take some real work from the backoffice, but there's no inherent reason a club in our position shouldn't be somewhat optimstic.

Until you realise we're still the Glazer's United, and hence we'll probably build around Ronaldo and Matic, fire Ten Hag in December when we're 15th and bring in Joel's nephew who watched Ted Lasso too much.

justsomebloke

I know it's perilous to give credence to the tabloids on these matters, but it struck a nervous chord when I read that Arnold and Joel Glazer have set their minds on ten Hag, against a preference for Pocchetino among the football people in the organisation. Partly because Poch would cost too much to release from PSG. I've no very strong preference for one managerial candidate or the other, but that sounds an awful lot like a key decision made by the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Then I read that " Manchester United have told six players, including Dean Henderson, Donny van de Beek and Anthony Martial, that they will have to stay at the club next season with only players out of contract being allowed to leave ahead of a new managerial appointment. " Which is exactly the kind of idiot policy you'd expect from a club that hasn't got it's priorities straight, and is unable to sequence things rationally.

sparx99

I know it's perilous to give credence to the tabloids on these matters, but it struck a nervous chord when I read that Arnold and Joel Glazer have set their minds on ten Hag, against a preference for Pocchetino among the football people in the organisation. Partly because Poch would cost too much to release from PSG. I've no very strong preference for one managerial candidate or the other, but that sounds an awful lot like a key decision made by the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Then I read that " Manchester United have told six players, including Dean Henderson, Donny van de Beek and Anthony Martial, that they will have to stay at the club next season with only players out of contract being allowed to leave ahead of a new managerial appointment. " Which is exactly the kind of idiot policy you'd expect from a club that hasn't got it's priorities straight, and is unable to sequence things rationally.
A lot of that does sound like complete nonsense as well. The tabloids really have their finger on the pulse of what upsets Utd fans I think. Although, it's possible the 'football' people are those same people who asked for Mourinho and Ole. So maybe it's high time the Glazers took a more active hand in things (they've been pretty hands off yet get the blame). Maybe they have less bias and just took the interviews without pre-conceived ideas.

Stacks

It does look to offer some hope:

- hiring one of the brightest managers in Europe, with a clear, elite coaching pedigree
- reportedly having transfer shortlists already built up to action come the summer
- the Technical Director/ DoF/ Deputy DoF changing the structure above the manager to a more modern system

Now we just need to get the players either on board or shipped out, and get the transfers nailed down sharpish so we can have a solid pre-season building this new style of play.
Elite pedigree my ass. I feel he is a punt but I am happy with the punt

buchansleftleg

Not yet, but at least we now seem to have some idea of what a building plan looks like, even if we aren't in the vicinity of the building just yet.

We've spent so long staggering through a muddy forest, keeping hold of random objects we think may be useful at some point, even if we can't use them right now.

If we get rid of a large number of players at the end of the season and replace them with young hungry talent, from within the club or identified from other clubs then we will be starting to look like we know where the building is.

If we sign expensive tabloid fodder then we have merely reached a clearing in the forest.

CloneMC16

The club seem to be making moves towards turning us into a much more serious club. We will see how things pan out across the summer. They have to back ETH in the market. Whatever happens, this is going to take time. The fans are going to have to be patient. That is going to be hard. Most of us are fed up with this shite. I really hope we start to see something a bit different over the course of next season.

cyril C

Every 2 years someone asked the same question. Don't you realise this is a hair-pin road?

justsomebloke

A lot of that does sound like complete nonsense as well. The tabloids really have their finger on the pulse of what upsets Utd fans I think. Although, it's possible the 'football' people are those same people who asked for Mourinho and Ole. So maybe it's high time the Glazers took a more active hand in things (they've been pretty hands off yet get the blame). Maybe they have less bias and just took the interviews without pre-conceived ideas.
Well, how does that help? They are not competent to make that choice. If they (or Arnold) don't trust their football executives, they need to replace them, not overrule them. But again, and as you say, it's the tabloids and hopefully there's nothing in it.

choccy77

After we lose to Everton today, the answer will be obvious (I hope) to the OP

elnorte

Freaky fly day
No. Its not coming home. We are not getting any better. Any player and or manager that joins will end up being unhappy and unsuccessful.
Absolutely. United ruins everything and everyone it touches.

Tap

Absolutely. United ruins everything and everyone it touches.
Man Utd is now the theatre of nightmares, where the careers of managers and players fade away and die.

Regarding the OP, no. We don’t even know where the corner is.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We turned 2 and now we're going backwards.

Eriku

Sure feels like it.

We clearly need to hit rock bottom for things to change. Stop being a cash cow. We’re doing great work in plummeting.