Have Woodwards briefings done their job?

Crashoutcassius

Simple question - since the flurry of briefing a few weeks ago about how well the club has been run, has the focus successfully been shifted back to the head coach and has our number 1 solution become 'just sack manager' rather than 'sack manager and...'?

crossy1686

career ending
Simple question - since the flurry of briefing a few weeks ago about how well the club has been run, has the focus successfully been shifted back to the head coach and has our number 1 solution become 'just sack manager' rather than 'sack manager and...'?
Nope. You’ve got rocks in your head if you think our problems start and end with the manager

Raw

Not really. Think the large majority of fans know how shite the management is above Ole, no matter what they think about Ole.

Andy_Cole

The issue is it’s a dictatorship. Glazers and their puppet Woodward aren’t going anywhere unless there’s a buyout. We won’t get a DoF as that means more headache for them and a power shift.

There’s nothing we can do other than support someone else sadly.

Danish Wizard

I don't understand how some can't see the problems goes a lot deeper/higher than just the manager. United as a club is in a huge mess. From top to bottom more or less.
Sacking Solskjær might help short term, but in the long run it will change absolutely nothing.

United no longer have the best people in every position, not on the pitch and not in the offices. Unfortunately.
People should realise, that things will take time to change. Nothing can be done over night. Not even Saudi money. Have patience, do things the right way for once. We will not challenge next season, so get the right staff in, sign the right players.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Everyone wants him gone. So I don't see what job they were meant to do.

b82REZ

Woodward and Ole are both issues, they are not mutually exclusive.

We need a proper manager, but we also need a CEO who understands the sport, or at least reliably delegates to someone who does.

There seems to be a lot of confusion by some fans that think wanting a competent manager means we don't see what a mess Woodward continues to create.

arthurka

Woodward and Ole are both issues, they are not mutually exclusive.

We need a proper manager, but we also need a CEO who understands the sport, or at least reliably delegates to someone who does.

There seems to be a lot of confusion by some fans that think wanting a competent manager means we don't see what a mess Woodward continues to create.
Ole isn´t the problem, he is just there trying to do a job.
If this club had any direction and a functioning board he wouldn´t have been hired.

el3mel

The majority have been criticizing the manager and Woodward before that and are still doing that so nope, it hasn't.

dove

His briefings are funny as hell, you would think he does it on purpose just to wind up our fanbase. I liked the recent one about how our recruitment policy works great and the proof of that is the 3 signings we made this summer :lol: Clearly a WUM.

wythyred

We have two major problems and both are related to management.

Woodward is a problem and will continue to be so as long as hes responsible for making sporting decisions.

Ole is a problem because he is nowhere good enough as a premier league manager.

fps

I don't understand how some can't see the problems goes a lot deeper/higher than just the manager. United as a club is in a huge mess. From top to bottom more or less.
I see this a lot. I can’t see a single person suggesting it’s purely the manager stopping united from winning, I don’t see these people anywhere.

Enigma_87

You know who
Both Woodward and Ole need to go. If there is a poll I’m pretty sure 99% will want him gone and no briefing will change that.

Un4givableB

Not really. Think the large majority of fans know how shite the management is above Ole, no matter what they think about Ole.
This

Woodward & co are shite and have always been but without a genius manager to bail them out, we would have been in this situation a lot sooner.

Now, Just to underline the fact that he's shite, he's appointed a shite manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If this club had any direction and a functioning board he wouldn´t have been hired.
Going by that logic, Woodward isn't the problem. He's also just there trying to do a job.

That's the actual point - to improve the structure and hire people who are better at their job than the ones we have (such as Woodward and Ole).

clarkydaz

His briefings are funny as hell, you would think he does it on purpose just to wind up our fanbase. I liked the recent one about how our recruitment policy works great and the proof of that is the 3 signings we made this summer :lol: Clearly a WUM.
we signed 2 england players! (pops champagne cork)

b82REZ

Except he is though.

The regression we are witnessing under his stewardship is unprecedented.

Tactically naive and is managing the club like a supporter, which is why many are giving him a free pass. Was this another manager they'd be under way more scrutiny and there would be a much larger vocal group calling for a change.

The club needs restructuring from top to bottom.

el3mel

I couldn't believe that. We were vriefining this like this transfer policy has been leading us to top of the league currently or something. You look at how we are briefing articles about how our transfer strategy is going on in full details then look at our position in table and results, and you will just have to laugh out load.

Utdstar01

No. Everyone knows our club is full of morons but the Glazers aren't going to do anything about it.

arthurka

Except he is though.

The regression we are witnessing under his stewardship is unprecedented.

Tactically naive and is managing the club like a supporter, which is why many are giving him a free pass. Was this another manager they'd be under way more scrutiny and there would be a much larger vocal group calling for a change.

The club needs restructuring from top to bottom.
Or you could see it as progression with youth. But I agree with you that he is out of his depth here.
But the owners and Woodward are the ones to blame here, no plan or direction for years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know what the OP is on about. The heat is on Ole because he deserves it. The difference between the manager and CEO is that the former has been replaced and hence we know the club is willing to remove him if he isn't good enough. Despite the stick Woodward gets I don't see any intention to remove him at all. I wish we'd solve both problems but I'll take at least one being solved than none.

Those briefings have convinced nobody that Woodward is doing an acceptable job.

b82REZ

Or you could see it as progression with youth. But I agree with you that he is out of his depth here.
But the owners and Woodward are the ones to blame here, no plan or direction for years.
That would be putting a blindly optimistic spin on things.

arthurka

That would be putting a blindly optimistic spin on things.
Yes it would but fact is that Ole has played youth a lot and has given them a chance in this team. Brandon Williams is the latest to reap benefits from it.
But this has to be in a balanced environment and at the moment it isn´t even closed to that.

Greck

You can sack the manager but you can only buy out the board. That's why the Saudi thread exploded with only a LinkedIn ITK. No one has forgotten about them. They are just being realistic

b82REZ

Yes it would but fact is that Ole has played youth a lot and has given them a chance in this team. Brandon Williams is the latest to reap benefits from it.
But this has to be in a balanced environment and at the moment it isn´t even closed to that.
So did LVG, people weren't clamouring for him to stay, despite the fact we were in a lot better league position.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Woodward is a bellend. I'm just shocked at the lack of open protests against him during our matches.

At least chuck a pasty his way :wenger:

iHicksy

We are rotten from top to bottom.

Woodward - incompetent with the footballing side. Refuses to recruit a dedicated Sporting director as he's power hungry and loves being involved in the transfers.
Scouting - recently restructured and we're led to believe better. But it's widely known it was a mess beforehand.
Coaches - Phelan, oversaw our football under Fergie during the latter years were our style of play turned to absolute shit. Dinosaur who's been passed by by modern elements of the game, was coaching some obscure league before coming back because he simply wasn't in demand at any top club.
Solskjaer - Tactically inept, knows the kind of players needed at United but unfortunately well out of his depth when it comes to substitutions and tactics.
Carrick - a holding midfielder only recently turned coach, somehow given a learn on the job role at one of the biggest clubs in the world in a critical position where other teams have people who are experts in their field.
McKenna - The only shining light in our current coaching setup.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If Woodward's objective was to deflect attention and distance himself from blame, then I would say yes, his spiel has been successful.
All I am hearing recently from many supporters and the media is about Solskjaer's failings and lack of experience, the myriad of other feck ups seem to have faded away somewhat, and the solution to United's plight is simply to replace the manager.

My belief is that if the club does take that option to sack Solskjaer, then 12 months from now, we will be having exactly the same discussions about the weak squad and inept recruitment strategy and probably lack of playing style & identity.

Again a personal opinion, but I just don't have any faith that a new manager will come in and turn this club around.
If Solskjaer goes, the same old problems still remain....!

arthurka

So did LVG, people weren't clamouring for him to stay, despite the fact we were in a lot better league position.
No he came into a club that had a squad full of winners and only a year after our latest PL title. But I am not saying Solskjaer should stay I am just pointing out he has done what he said out to do and that is to play youth. But the squad is to thin and has no big players to pull us through when we are in the shitter.

b82REZ

No he came into a club that had a squad full of winners and only a year after our latest PL title. But I am not saying Solskjaer should stay I am just pointing out he has done what he said out to do and that is to play youth. But the squad is to thin and has no big players to pull us through when we are in the shitter.
You're misremembering. LvG played more established players in his first season but second season he played a lot of youth after he gutted the squad. Cameron Borthwick Jackson was a regular for us that season.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...youngsters-handed-man-utd-debuts-by-van-gaal/

Here is a breakdown of all the youth LvG promoted or gave minutes to. Much more than Solskjaer has done so far.

arthurka

You're misremembering. LvG played more established players in his first season but second season he played a lot of youth after he gutted the squad. Cameron Borthwick Jackson was a regular for us that season.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...youngsters-handed-man-utd-debuts-by-van-gaal/

Here is a breakdown of all the youth LvG promoted or gave minutes to. Much more than Solskjaer has done so far.
Yes I meant when he came. But there seems to be a plan to Ole´s youth playing the best of the bunch but LVG seemed to play anyone who came through.
But I agree with you, Ole needs to go but we need to get someone in who plays youth and experience.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
For all the criticism Ole gets, everyone knows whose fault it is that the club are in this situation. So no the briefings have not worked. Woodward and his cronies are the root cause of all our troubles.

b82REZ

Yes I meant when he came. But there seems to be a plan to Ole´s youth playing the best of the bunch but LVG seemed to play anyone who came through.
But I agree with you, Ole needs to go but we need to get someone in who plays youth and experience.
I don't know what it is you have issue with then?

arthurka

I don't know what it is you have issue with then?
What I said in the first post, it isn´t Ole the club is in disarray and no top club in Europe would have hired Ole as a manager from Molde.
But like I said I agree with you mostly.

b82REZ

What I said in the first post, it isn´t Ole the club is in disarray and no top club in Europe would have hired Ole as a manager from Molde.
But like I said I agree with you mostly.
I've never said otherwise.

But ultimately we are in a results based business and the buck stops with the manager. Even if we know things aren't being run properly behind the scenes.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't understand how some can't see the problems goes a lot deeper/higher than just the manager.
Has anyone on here actually said that the manager is the only issue at the club? Even during the “Mourinho out” period, I barely remember many, if any, not wanting structural changes either. (Whether that is getting rid of Woody, the Board or getting a DoF etc).

arthurka

I've never said otherwise.

But ultimately we are in a results based business and the buck stops with the manager. Even if we know things aren't being run properly behind the scenes.
Yes and that is where the board is failing again. Love Ole but he needs to go before things turn really really sour.