Have you ever been less excited for a return to football after a long break?

Denis79

Btw what a negative thread. This has truly been the season of negativity
It's going to get better from now on. I truly believe that. We're done with the insert legend here and there strategy, Woodward has left and a new manager is on the way. Honestly think next season will be the start of something good.

MUW4Eva

What is meant by a long break??

It was only last weekend that I was there at Old Trafford to watch us beat Everton....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's going to get better from now on. I truly believe that. We're done with the insert legend here and there strategy, Woodward has left and a new manager is on the way. Honestly think next season will be the start of something good.
Let’s hope so! Too much gloom and doom this year, we need the football to take our attention away

Maticmaker

Its not just there being nothing to look forward to this season, but its still not much better looking forward to next season, especially with all the disruption for the WC.
Plus, we still don't know who the manager will be, how many players will stay and how (and who) will go; will we get a new stadium or a lick or two of paint at OT. We still have to play Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal this season, with nothing to play for except make sure the last fifteen minutes of any of those games doesn't show us with 8% possession. We still have to accept either City or Liverpool are going to take the PL title, (and its possible we wont even be on the screen shot at the top six!!! (ekk...)).. also the CL and the FA Cup...... ohhh sh*t..................................................................................................................................................................... Sorry had to break off to get my beta-blockers!!

I will finish now don't want the tears running on to the lap top!

Have a nice day now! :eek::eek::eek:

Withnail

International breaks are shit and soon there'll be no football at all so I'll enjoy it while I can. I'll still wants us to beat Leicester just as much regardless of league position.

Josep Dowling

Can’t say I agree really. There is so much that needs to change from the top down. World class manager, change in transfer strategy. I can almost guarantee we will blow our transfer budget on Rice, when we need so much more. Player turnover is our biggest issue, it takes too long to shift bad players out. At least Pogba will be gone.

Denis79

Can’t say I agree really. There is so much that needs to change from the top down. World class manager, change in transfer strategy. I can almost guarantee we will blow our transfer budget on Rice, when we need so much more. Player turnover is our biggest issue, it takes too long to shift bad players out. At least Pogba will be gone.
I don't think we'll win it next season either but I do believe we'll see steady improvements and a lot more consistency which will be huge progress and something we can build on.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well, I'm looking forward to the game.

We're still in contention for a CL spot despite this season being one of the worst in living memory, and CL football is a big bargaining chip when it comes to transfers. We have plenty to play for.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Glad to have it back to watch but a chase for a Europa league spot isn't exactly exciting.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Basically if you're not in the top 2 or 3 or fighting relegation, it's utterly pointless.

Is that right?
You forgot to add getting dumped out of every possible competition by March.
Plus our biggest rivals on course for major trophies this year.

RomfordRed75

Looking forward to it, important game in the battle for 4th. Nothing else planned between 5.30 and 7.30 tonight so trying to stay positive.
But it's United, so by 5.45 (after 3 missed sitters just before we go 1 down to a defensive error), I'll be pissed off.

Vaultech

I said many times in the past that good football and entertaining attacking football isnt all that.

It's the spirit of competition. Knowing that matches you win matter

There's no point playing beautiful football fighting for 5th spot.

You need lots of both but if i have to choose i choose ugly football chasing 1st all day and twice on matchday.

Match are fun when there's stake in it.
It's this kind of mentality that's preventing United from winning anything major.

You don't chase 1st with ugly football any more. Not when Man City is around, and Liverpool behind them.

That thinking was why Ole eventually failed, because it's a short term mindset that doesn't pay off in the long run.

Fans like you need to bite the bullet and accept a few years of winning nothing while the manager build up a team capable of playing good football.

If Klopp is at United, you'll probably get him sacked just because he's not winning anything immediately.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
City and Liverpool are about to divide the big trophies between them (there's even a chance one of them will take the lot, equaling or surpassing our treble achievement) whilst we're slipping down the table with difficult games coming in.

Honestly, I'm dreading the rest of the season. It could turn out to be the worst yet.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we finish top 5 this season, and one of PL teams won CL, do we get to play CL next season?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's a sabotaged season by elements in the club. Ole gone, Rangnick looking helpless, there's nothing to root for. Folks still believing we can scrape something from this season - I'm with you and I'll join you in further disappointment in May.

I'll still support the ones trying in the squad. Somekind of an effort is still somewhat anesthesia to this rollercoaster to the grave of the season.

RedDevilRoshi

Unless you are City or Liverpool fan, the international break was a very welcome distraction considering how utter shite this season has been. Especially when we’ve got nothing to play for other than top 4 whilst our two biggest rivals are competing in all competitions and both of them could end up with a double or worst case one of them ends up winning a treble or nightmare quadruple.

This season has just been a total write-off that I can’t wait for the end of May to come and declare it officially over.

Will still support them till the last kick of the season but whether this lot put the effort in to salvage at least something between now and end of May is one thing I’m 100% unsure about as it’s clear as day they have jacked it in.

MiceOnMeth

Havent been excited since Ole left. Squad is in deep shit and I have written off the season. But I wouldnt say this is the least exciting period though, that'd be Moyes period.
Least Moyes got us to a CL QF and when Evra banged in that beauty I definitely believed just a little bit...

MUFC OK

No. We have nothing to play for and the scousers could do a quadruple - which I’m convinced of.

choccy77

Gonna be undefeated from today until end of season... you watch.

flappyjay

Personally really happy United are back in action. Don’t get how people are so feckin miserable about watching a sport, you’d think we were Hartlepool by the way some people go on….
Even if we were 8th I would still plan my weekends with watching us play as part of my weekend plans. All our rivals have went through barren years too, it's part of the sport.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's this kind of mentality that's preventing United from winning anything major.

You don't chase 1st with ugly football any more. Not when Man City is around, and Liverpool behind them.

That thinking was why Ole eventually failed, because it's a short term mindset that doesn't pay off in the long run.

Fans like you need to bite the bullet and accept a few years of winning nothing while the manager build up a team capable of playing good football.

If Klopp is at United, you'll probably get him sacked just because he's not winning anything immediately.
And what? Give ole 3 years and another half a billion?

Anything that wins you the title is good football

The_Midfielder

this is the first time in years (decades) and I didn't miss Man Utd.. ohh well I might be getting old

dove

I just realised we are playing today. So yeah, excitement levels are the lowest I can remember.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nowhere near the most negative I've felt but probably the most apathetic. Feels like we're just waiting for the season to end and new manager to come in.

hobbers

Only thing is you all thought he was going to be replaced by a top manager. Instead we got Locomotive Moscow's sporting director and have been knocked out of the FA cup by a championship side, CL by a very ordinary Atletico team and have continued to stutter in the PL.

It hasn't worked.
Worked better than keeping Ole around. At least we stopped the player hoarding and let some of the more miserable ones away in January.

Vaultech

And what? Give ole 3 years and another half a billion?

Anything that wins you the title is good football
Ole didn't play good football. Ole played ugly football to "win".

I disagree with the idea that anything that wins the title is good football. Leicester won the title on counter-attacking football.

The next season they couldn't sustain it and was near relegation zone that got their title winning manager sacked.

A top club like United shouldn't be happy with "lucky" football that wins you a title once in a blue moon. A top club have to ensure they play the football that can sustain a dynasty.

Look at Liverpool. They became extremely consistent season after season because they put in the effort and infrastructure to get the team to understanding gegenpressing first and foremost even when it didn't bring them any titles in the first few seasons.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Think of it qualifier for next seasons champions league considering we already qualified for EPL already. There

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole didn't play good football. Ole played ugly football to "win".

I disagree with the idea that anything that wins the title is good football. Leicester won the title on counter-attacking football.

The next season they couldn't sustain it and was near relegation zone that got their title winning manager sacked.

A top club like United shouldn't be happy with "lucky" football that wins you a title once in a blue moon. A top club have to ensure they play the football that can sustain a dynasty.

Look at Liverpool. They became extremely consistent season after season because they put in the effort and infrastructure to get the team to understanding gegenpressing first and foremost even when it didn't bring them any titles in the first few seasons.
Funny you mentioned liverpool. Liverpool ditched the romantism and goes the Klopp pragmatic practicality

We ditch common sense and give it to ole because he somehow haa United Dna

Abraxas

Hard to get excited about a tumescent battle for 4th. But more than that it's mostly because the team just isn't enjoyable to watch. That's the big disconnect for me.

Vaultech

Funny you mentioned liverpool. Liverpool ditched the romantism and goes the Klopp pragmatic practicality

We ditch common sense and give it to ole because he somehow haa United Dna
Their foundation were there before they became more pragmatic. Their counter-pressing game is still there.

It's harder to build an attacking team than fixing the defence. It's why bottom teams focus on defence while top teams focused on attack.

Ole put little effort in building a team capable of dominating teams in attack. And as a result he became stuck when opposition team wised up to the fact United are only capable of playing counter-attacking football.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
How can anyone look forward to this? Absolutely dreadful!

El Jefe

I've always been excited about our games at least before kick off. I honestly can't remember when last I cared less about a game than today.

Looks like I'm justified as its a complete shitshow on the pitch so far.

UnitedFire

I've always been excited about our games at least before kick off. I honestly can't remember when last I cared less about a game than today.

Looks like I'm justified as its a complete shitshow on the pitch so far.
Yep this game is exactly as expected. The players have no professional pride or maybe its just a lack of quality. Either way it's embarrassing.

When a manager suggests young hungry players would be an improvement these players should really be trying to prove otherwise.