Having a Top Striker

GueRed

He’s a much better striker than Rashford or Martial, who are both more forwards than a striker.

Hope he can handle the 2 games a week schedule for us.
If we are expecting peak performances from him i doubt Ole will give him a 2 game starts a week schedule.

I think he will be managed 1 game every 10 days. Similar to what we saw with Fergie managing the late Giggs/Scholes era...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not speaking of which, where's Ighalo?

Fts 74

So refreshing to see a proper no 9,dragging defenders all over the place and scoring 2 headers that martial and rashford just don't score.

Could prove to be a shrewd signing,our other forwards should really be learning from this guy.

Lee565

I dont get the stigma still heavily attached to players in their 30's, things have evolved and more and more modern players in their 30's are in great physical conditioning for longer. I would have happily welcomed ibra or vardy here during the recent transfer window.

I see no reason why cavani can't start a majority of our matches this season as our main striker, I think ole is too pro youth at the detriment of the teams consistency and leadership.

Loon

:lol:
It was pretty obvious with the pursuit of Haaland Solskjaer wanted an out and out striker. Be wonderful if Cavani has a Zlatan season.

Judas

Open to offers
It was pretty obvious with the pursuit of Haaland Solskjaer wanted an out and out striker. Be wonderful if Cavani has a Zlatan season.
If he can stay fit he'll have as big an impact, the big bonus with him is he suits our play much better and works harder in my opinion, doesn't slow us down either.

Cloud7

Ah to dream of being able to get Haaland in for a few seasons.

A-man

The difference with a top striker was three points instead of zero today.

Flexdegea

I'm glad I was totally wrong about Cavani.

Looks like what we been missing. Big presence up front and works his socks off with the movement of the ball.

Played himself into starter. Martial be getting out left from here in

The difference with a top striker was three points instead of zero today.
Martial is a good player, but he’s not your ‘traditional’ no 9.We don’t need to play hoof ball, but we play best with that tripe of striker. No reason martial can’t play off of him, and thrive there.

Devil81

Well hopefully that's an end to this stupid theory Martial should play through the middle for United. We've been missing a target man and it's displays like today that make it clear Cavani has to start.

Be interesting to see if Martial is deployed in a wide role from now on.

MrSingh2002

Cavani has to start. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood fight for the 2nd striker position if we play two upfront.

If we play with one it should be Cavani ST, Rashford or Martial left wing.

A-man

Martial is a good player, but he’s not your ‘traditional’ no 9.We don’t need to play hoof ball, but we play best with that tripe of striker. No reason martial can’t play off of him, and thrive there.
I believe a huge difference switch Cavani is that finally there is someone at the end of a cross. Martial is not that player but as you say he has other qualities and is a good player, no doubt. I hop both him and Rashford can grow with the help of Cavani.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
To think we've been linked with him for bloody ages... :annoyed:

People here in Uruguay kept wondering why we didn't pull the trigger. As far as any neutral could see we clearly lacked a striker, screw that, a proper centreforward. La referencia de área (probably means target man except people's descriptions of target men sound like lamp posts, a bit like Fellaini as #9).

Funny seeing how some posters are almost surprised by all this. I guess they are young and have mostly experienced this post tiki taka era of fancypants "interchangeable forwards" that do a lot of faffing about but don't have the first clue what to do once in the box or how to manipulate space in it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ole wanted Haaland last year for good & reasonable reason. Ole knows what he's doing.

Pughnichi

I’ve long since had the opinion that Martial and Rashford should be competing for wide left fwd position. Neither are the centre forward we want/expect. Allows us to bin off James aswell.

It’s amazing to see the difference a Cavani, or a Zlatan, RVP can make up top.

the clamour for Haaland though, whilst warranted, surely Barca, Real will be all over him soon enough and the state of us currently, I just can’t see him picking us over them. More so having refused Ole’s advances previously.

Mainoldo

We didn’t win the game because we lacked a striker.

Big sigh....

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We have Cavani for 2 years (if we don't extend past that 1 year), by which time Greenwood will be 21 and more ready to step up as a regular. Guy will be best as a poacher goalscorer rather than on the wing.
Cavani has had issues with injuries the last few years. We should not be relying upon him to be our main man for as long as 2 years.

macheda14

Apart from the obvious Haaland (which is a boat I feel we missed) who are the best number 9s in the world that we have a realistic chance to bring in?

RikRuud

Apart from the obvious Haaland (which is a boat I feel we missed) who are the best number 9s in the world that we have a realistic chance to bring in?
Top clubs usually snap them up when they are young and they tend to stay at that club until their 30's. I think its quite difficult to obtain them in the modern game.

Renegade

Don't think Lukaku would have ever reached Cavani level in general. He's obviously a good striker, but Cavani is just another quality all around.
I reckon we would have seen a different Lukaku with Bruno behind him. This is the kind of striker we should be playing with a 10. No need for him to come short and get involved just feed on the chances created.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I reckon we would have seen a different Lukaku with Bruno behind him. This is the kind of striker we should be playing with a 10. No need for him to come short and get involved just feed on the chances created.
Nope

He wasted numerous chances in a similar fashion.

no. Just no. You have seen how good Cavani has been with his hold up play, touch and they way he helps on the build up. Cavani is exactly the type of player we need. Certainly not Lukaku.

dogwithabone

Where are the posters and pundits who were poo pooing Cavani when we signed him?!
Not me, I thought (and said it) that he was a great signing and would be a better signing than Zlatan because of his work rate and mobility.

Missed it so much, it just makes such a huge difference to everything and I couldn’t for the life of me understand why so many were against the signing.

Maureen thought Lukaku could do it, like Benzema, Drogba, Zlatan & Milito had done for him previously... but it may well have been a big mistake.

Lukaku was more of a striker than Martial for sure and it makes more and more sense why Maureen fought the board to sell him, but Cavani is what a proper number 9 looks like; lay offs, holding it up, smart passes, clever movement, opening up the pitch for teammates, cool finishing. We look a more complete team with that genuine focal point.

HowYouDoin

I do think Lukaku was a bit underappreciated while he was here but water under the bridge now. We easily could have kept Lukaku, he is a better player than both Rashford and especially Martial but yeah its done now. No need to cry over spoiled milk.

With that being said, we really really lucked out with Cavani. We now have a top striker for this year and the next and yes it will make a massive, massive difference.
Really hope Mason can take over then.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think Haaland will be difficult to get and all the top clubs will be in for him, particularly Real and possibly City (Aguero needs replacing).

Thinking back, I laughed at the prospect of DCL in the summer, all of a sudden, seems a good shout.

HowYouDoin

I think Haaland will be difficult to get and all the top clubs will be in for him, particularly Real and possibly City (Aguero needs replacing).

Thinking back, I laughed at the prospect of DCL in the summer, all of a sudden, seems a good shout.
Oh ya DCL no doubt. He will cost 100 million now but heck he is worth it.
Maybe not for us though. Assuming we still get a lot out of Cavani and then Mason takes over from him. However for a team like City, for any top 6 team really, DCL would be a great buy at 100 million.

HowYouDoin

DCL? 100m?

You talking about the bloke from Everton with 45 career goals in 159 games? Surely not?
Im afraid yes. They asked 80 million for him last season and it seemed absurd for me however given his play this year and top strikers being so hard to come by, I dont think 100 million is unrealistic anymore.
He is only 23, amazing physical gifts, having a great season...yes, if someone buys him it might be for around 100 million.

macheda14

No offence, but you’re off your tits.

No-one is buying him for 100m man. It’d make the Andy Carroll deal look decent.
There’s a difference between what people will pay and the value Everton put on him which is the only value that matters. They don’t want to sell so he would cost 100 mill.

There’s a difference between what people will pay and the value Everton put on him which is the only value that matters. They don’t want to sell so he would cost 100 mill.
I think they’d bite your hand off if silly money came, not even close to 100m, rich or not, like Newcastle, there’s a difference between not wanting to sell and realising a stupid sum of money for a very limited player.