Having a Top Striker

macheda14

I think they’d bite your hand off if silly money came, not even close to 100m, rich or not, like Newcastle, there’s a difference between not wanting to sell and realising a stupid sum of money for a very limited player.
Well seeing as they put an 80 mill price tag on him last season and we bought Lukaku for around 80 mill, after the season he’s had they’d charge more this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Made this months ago - but step 1 was sign a world class CF. I don’t think Cavani is world class anymore but the fact he has been there and done it at an elite level and actually knows the role makes such a big difference. He doesn’t get bullied by defenders and looks super natural centrally.

Longshanks

Looks like a proper striker shouldn't really be surprised given his record.

If he stays fit he could end up being a really shrewd piece of business, hopefully rashford, martial and Greenwood can learn something along the way aswell, if cavani starts scoring regularly it may give those three a bit of a up Kick up the arse aswell.

DCL certainly looks like he could become a really good no9 but I'm not sure hes 100m player, Haaland is on another level and if we could get him that would be great.

Hopefully though greenwood is able to fulfill his potential and cavani is a successful stopgap.

Renegade

no. Just no. You have seen how good Cavani has been with his hold up play, touch and they way he helps on the build up. Cavani is exactly the type of player we need. Certainly not Lukaku.
Bitterness aside you really don’t think he would have played better with Bruno behind him rather than Andreas & Lingard pretending?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I hope we offer Haalland an obscene contract to lure him here when his transfer clause activates. He's so young anyway.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Imagine the feeling of watching what Cavani did this week, just about every week. Sign Haaland.

Well seeing as they put an 80 mill price tag on him last season and we bought Lukaku for around 80 mill, after the season he’s had they’d charge more this season.
Who tried to buy him last summer for them to slap a price tag on him?

Oh wait, it was one fecking report from The Sun AFTER he scored a hat trick in September just to try and drum up extra clicks. No quote, no report in the Summer.
Forgive me if I wet myself a little about anyone taking that even remotely seriously.

Last edited:

K Stand Knut

The biggest difference with Cavani is that he can play with his back to goal and be useful.

Not entirely Martial or Rashford’s fault but having them repeatedly receiving the ball with their backs to goal is stupid tactics.

At least Cavani will hold it up.

The other praise of him is obviously correct too but him holding the ball is exceptional

SCJY

So Haaland has a €75M release clause which can be activated in 2022. Cavani looks like he could tide us over til then.

I hope we get Haaland and slap a €200M release clause on him if he needs one. I don't see Haaland staying here for the entirety of his career. The question is: would we like him for a number of years, á la Ronaldo, or not at all.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So Haaland has a €75M release clause which can be activated in 2022. Cavani looks like he could tide us over til then.

I hope we get Haaland and slap a €200M release clause on him if he needs one. I don't see Haaland staying here for the entirety of his career. The question is: would we like him for a number of years, á la Ronaldo, or not at all.
Yes we absolutely want him now. The level he is at it's not even a question anymore. Even if it is a 3 year contract with a release clause we should just get him.

Kag

Exaggeration and disrespectful. Maybe he didn't fit the club but he was nothing of the sort.
His attitude was stinking towards the end and he had a poor mentality. A good striker on the whole but a waste of space in the sphere of playing for Manchester United.

cyril C

Chelsea had a free run on Zyech, top consistent RW on his League. So it's actually not that difficult, with a proper scout.
#9 is difficult. You can have a Firmino who doesn't score enough, or a Giroud who can score but not doing enough in other attributes. But winger is always the easiest to find, I still puzzle on why we wasted a decade and continue finding left hand side players. May be the hackers can reveal this secret.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The biggest difference with Cavani is that he can play with his back to goal and be useful.

Not entirely Martial or Rashford’s fault but having them repeatedly receiving the ball with their backs to goal is stupid tactics.

At least Cavani will hold it up.

The other praise of him is obviously correct too but him holding the ball is exceptional
Martial is probably our best player at holding onto the ball under pressure.

blemis

Supports
spurs
What Cavani did today and tries to do every time he plays by moving in the box, trying to find space for a tap in or a header, Martial will never do. It's not in his game. Hes better playing off the left and dribbling with the ball. And he should probably go back to rotating with Rashford until Cavani needs a rest.
Deschamps, LVG , Mourinho , coach who have like 40 combined major trophies, all played him on the left but somehow United fans especially Martial FC thought they know better , even Martial himself thought he knows better. You guys would never get anywhere with Rashford or Martial as your number 9. Just stop having pretenders playing striker and let the actual striker do the job. it's not about the number of goals they scored, but about having the right balance on the team.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's absolutely crucial if you are to win the league. Blackburn had Alan Shearer. SAF bought Cantona and started to win. Followed that up with multiple choices into Ruud and then RvP. Wenger had Henry. Chelsea had Drogba and Costa, City had Agüero, Leicester had Vardy and Liverpool had Salah plus Mané. It's not just about the players scoring the goals, Eric and Drogba weren't banging them in, in their first season. It's about being that head of the spine that makes difference in the game with presence and goals.

Took a manager who was a striker to finally bring an impact striker.

This club sometimes needs a solid kick in the c*nt to wake the F up.
Mourinho did bring in Zlatan and whilst his knee was in shape we did have the best season post-SAF although the team wasn't as put together in defense and midfield. Lukaku was supposed to be that replacement but he doesn't have the big boy mentality to play under this kind of pressure. He's close to being that striker but not quite there. So for all of Mourinho's faults he at least tried to adress it. He's always realized the importance of having such a player.

RkkMan

Apart from the obvious Haaland (which is a boat I feel we missed) who are the best number 9s in the world that we have a realistic chance to bring in?
If come 2022(the year Cavani`s deal expires) he`s still scoring goals Calvert Lewin might be a decent option. He`ll cost a bomb but there`s not many proper pure no9s out there nowadays

Son

Halland was the big miss.. not Sancho
Sancho is a miss because we need more natural wingers at the club. Him and Diallo first with Haaland the next summer... if Cavani can keep in form and fitness would be a dream.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Salah & Mane are world class. Kane & Son are world class. Aguero on his prime is world class. Rashford & Martial aren't yet in their level, this is what we are lacking, the RVP player. Consistent attacker, scoring goals, can stay fit & turn up when needed. There is still doubt whether Cavani at his age can start week in week out.

Lynty

Bitterness aside you really don’t think he would have played better with Bruno behind him rather than Andreas & Lingard pretending?
With how Bruno fizzes balls at our forwards? Bruno is a great player, but his weight of pass is often off. Lukaku would be woeful.

And therein lies the problem. Compared to Cavani and other top, top strikers, he’s not very good at it.
I disagree. Martial has been outstanding at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. It's the other part of Cavani's game that he's lacking so much... throwing himself head first at deflected shots, front post runs, attacking space in the six yard box a second before anyone else, gambling on mistakes in the box

Yagami

Good post resistant
And therein lies the problem. Compared to Cavani and other top, top strikers, he’s not very good at it.
He's better at it than Cavani, though. With that said, Cavani deserves to start as our CF for the time being.
Big difference is that Martial holds onto it but taking a load of touches and generally complicating the shit out of things.
Difference with someone like Cavani is that it’s, in, pass, move. It opens up the pitch so much.
I disagree. Martial releases the ball quickly, too. At times he does hold on to dribble, but that's good. You need diversity in your play and his ability to resist pressing opposition and dribble is something we need.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mourinho did bring in Zlatan and whilst his knee was in shape we did have the best season post-SAF although the team wasn't as put together in defense and midfield. Lukaku was supposed to be that replacement but he doesn't have the big boy mentality to play under this kind of pressure. He's close to being that striker but not quite there. So for all of Mourinho's faults he at least tried to adress it. He's always realized the importance of having such a player.
True that. Mourinho tried quite hard to instill proper striker into United's system. Not so long ago he hailed Cavani as a top signing and through that particular mindset he was not that far from achieving success in United.

Ole now has choice of Greenwood and Cavani, something that Jose couldn't have at that stage of rebuild.

The_Midfielder

Salah & Mane are world class. Kane & Son are world class. Aguero on his prime is world class. Rashford & Martial aren't yet in their level, this is what we are lacking, the RVP player. Consistent attacker, scoring goals, can stay fit & turn up when needed. There is still doubt whether Cavani at his age can start week in week out.
This...
This is exactly what we are missing

Gabagoo

It's not so much having a world class striker (although Cavani is), it's having a hard-working target man that's the difference.

If we could get two of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood or James either side of him as wingers/inside forwards, we'll be laughing.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It's not so much having a world class striker (although Cavani is), it's having a hard-working target man that's the difference.
The world class bit helps. His movement off the ball will make a huge difference to how we play in and around the opposition’s box, something we’ve struggled with at times.

Enough messing about with all this false 9 crap!

Foxbatt

The world class bit helps. His movement off the ball will make a huge difference to how we play in and around the opposition’s box, something we’ve struggled with at times.

Yes get someone who can give the CBs a kick up their Hasenhuttl. :D

Thaila-X

What I love about Cavani is his movement, even if he's not directly attacking the cross he's darting across the front/near post and dragging defenders out with him. And then obviously his finishing ability is class when he does get the opportunity. Really impressed so far, think he could be the difference in a lot of tight games this season.

Gabagoo

Well, yeah, obviously it helps.

My point is that it's the type of player he is, rather than his level, that has made a clear difference. His level obviously doesn't hurt!

I make this point because I think a similar solution could be found for the right wing; we don't have to get 120 euro player there because what we're missing isn't the quality, it's the type of skillset. We need someone pacy, with a will to run with the ball and commit players, making more space for Cavani and the left winger. Of course, getting a player with those attributes who is also world class would be a bonus, but not a necessity. Look at Liverpool's front three.

Volumiza

My point is that it's the type of player he is, rather than his level, that has made a clear difference. His level obviously doesn't hurt!

I make this point because I think a similar solution could be found for the right wing; we don't have to get 120 euro player there because what we're missing isn't the quality, it's the type of skillset. We need someone pacy, with a will to run with the ball and commit players, making more space for Cavani and the left winger. Of course, getting a player with those attributes who is also world class would be a bonus, but not a necessity. Look at Liverpool's front three.
I agree that it is the type of player absolutely. I've missed having a pure striker in the team.

I also agree regarding the RW. I would hat for us to go and spunk £120m (or even a lot less) on someone like Sancho while we have Greenwood, Diallo and Pellistri all coming through. I'd prefer to see what any of those three could do.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Our fans just need to accept that Martial n Rashford are just good players. They aren't world class and never will be. I'm personally very pleased to have both in the squad. They blow hot and cold true but they still both bring something to the team. Greenwood looks an immense talent too. Really glad we've got him.

You can't have a squad full of elite players. It just doesn't work that way.

Born2Lose

Think it really helps Fernandes too having a striker who makes intelligent runs.

Volumiza

Our fans just need to accept that Martial n Rashford are just good players. They aren't world class and never will be. I'm personally very pleased to have both in the squad. They blow hot and cold true but they still both bring something to the team. Greenwood looks an immense talent too. Really glad we've got him.

You can't have a squad full of elite players. It just doesn't work that way.
I definitely don't agree with you regarding Maguire but I agree with every word of this one. I don't think either Rashford or Martial are or ever will be world class but I would rather keep them both, play them either side of a quality striker and try and find a way of keeping them both, or at least one of them, firing all of the time. That, coupled with Greenwood and the potential of Diallo and Pellistri should be a good path forward.

lsd

The Oracle
Looks like a proper striker shouldn't really be surprised given his record.

If he stays fit he could end up being a really shrewd piece of business, hopefully rashford, martial and Greenwood can learn something along the way aswell, if cavani starts scoring regularly it may give those three a bit of a up Kick up the arse aswell.

DCL certainly looks like he could become a really good no9 but I'm not sure hes 100m player, Haaland is on another level and if we could get him that would be great.

Hopefully though greenwood is able to fulfill his potential and cavani is a successful stopgap.

Rashford and Martial had Zlaton and Lukaku playing with them and they don't seem to have learned anything from them about being a proper Centre forward so not sure why would suddenly learn now

big rons sovereign

There is not many #9 around in the world. Benzema, Lewandoski, and Harrland included, Suresh used to be there as well. Even Neymar, Griezmann and Mpabbe are half 9.
Was having this conversation with my old man on Sunday, he was on about when we had Yorke, Cole, Sherringham and Ole. That's when it occured to me that we got all 4 for less that £30 mil.
How much would ole go for these days? A guy that lethal around the box would be at least £70 mil.
Then you get onto to stone cold finishers like ruud.