Having Phelan on the bench again

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’VE GOT A PHELAN (WOOO HOOO), THAT TONIGHT’S GONNA BE A GOOD NIGHT

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What happened to that poster in the newbies Phelan Shorts?

untitled_6899

He should have been retained when Moyes came in (not that it would have saved Moyes).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What does Mike Phelan do?

Apparently allows us to score 5 in the league.
Indeed.
The last time Phelan was in the dug out for us, we also happened to score 5 goals.
For Phelan, scoring 5 goals must seem quite normal.
Just imagine if we were to score 5 goals in our next match?

Skills

Snitch
That was his downfall.
No it wasn't. Moyes downfall was just being a poor manager.

Let's be honest, the only reason Moyes should've kept Fergies backroom staff was because he himself and his boys weren't good enough. Every manager brings in his own backroom staff, and it wouldn't even have been a questionable decision if a half competent manager took over.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We've needed a connection with SAF's coaching on the bench ever since he retired.

Phelan is that man.

That'll do pig.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I think I recall one of the commentators on my stream mentioning that Phelan had been working at a 6th form in Burnley before he re-joined us.

Did I hear that correctly? Seems mental.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think I recall one of the commentators on my stream mentioning that Phelan had been working at a 6th form in Burnley before he re-joined us.

It was a one day invitation for him to share some experiences with some school kids and give a Q&A.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
It was a one day invitation for him to share some experiences with some school kids and give a Q&A.
Ah thanks, seems a bit weird that they mentioned it as if that was his full-time job, but perhaps that's just the way I interpreted it.

Glad to have him back, with or without his shorts.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Should he be kept on as a coach when the new manager comes in?

criticalanalysis

I'm not the only one who's noticing OGS calling him Mick right?

Is that his nickname or something?

King Kunta

He'd been working as the sporting director for the Central Coast Mariners in the A-league.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
No it wasn't. Moyes downfall was just being a poor manager.

Let's be honest, the only reason Moyes should've kept Fergies backroom staff was because he himself and his boys weren't good enough. Every manager brings in his own backroom staff, and it wouldn't even have been a questionable decision if a half competent manager took over.
Is a fair and valid point.

But I think, the way I see it at least, is that you don’t hire Moyes and think from day 1 he is a ready and finished article. I think he was hired with the view that he’d be good enough and grow into it as he developed. Moyes was not an instant success type hiring.

So when I say it’s his downfall, what I’m saying is he didn’t have the people around him to take that developmental step to get to grips with managing a club like United.

Ultimately he sucked, yeah, but with the right people around him, he may well not have.

Castia

Needs to be made a full time member, he just belongs at United.

Even if Poch comes in the summer he should have Phelan around the club is some capacity.

reddevil80

Phelan was SAF's right hand man and I hope that Ed and the board have now realised the massive mistake they made by letting him go in the first place. He has always known utd's philosophy and obviously knows how to instill that into the players. Let's see how the season pans out but if yesterday was anything to go by, Ole and Phelan will make a formidable pairing who should be give dibs on the managerial and head coach/assistant positions. I'm looking forward to the next month now.

bonothom

Worst thing Moyes did was shelve Fergie's backroom staff. Utter moronic decision.
How can you say that? Surely after Fergies backroom staff had just been involved in winning the title by 11 points the logical decision was to sack them all and replace them with people that had won nothing and was used to coming 7th in the table. It made total sense......... to one person. David Moyes. Seriously though, on getting offered the job by Fergie, he should have been told that it's on the condition you keep all the backroom staff on.

Tyinde

Phelan is perfect for us. Although he is brilliant at tactical things, he is also sadly lack of some leadership quality, but Ole can fix that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't even knew that I missed him.:D

Foxbatt

I would have been more happy if it was Carlos Quiroz instead of Phelan

bonothom

I would have been more happy if it was Carlos Quiroz instead of Phelan
Great coach for United but his teams that he has managed have been terrible to watch. The Portugal team was bloody awful under him.

FromTheBench

I guess Ole would have brought back meulensteen too had McKenna and Carrick not been there.

ChaddyP

Where was he since fergie left. Looks like we just beckoned him and he just appeared out of nowhere and it's as if he never left