Having Phelan on the bench again

Acole9

Outstanding
This guy is not the Mick Phelan we all know and love, he needs to get those shorts on, don't care how cold it is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Insightful on what they've done here. Maybe the smartest thing Ole has done so far is bringing him back.

Adam_S

So good to hear that kind talk around the club again. I know it's been said before, but the worst thing that oaf Moyes did was to gut the backroom staff in the way he did. There was so much institutional knowledge and spirit that was lost then and it's so good so see it coming back again. This is also a big part of why I desperately want to see Ole succeed and be given the job permanently.

Bwuk

Think Phelans probably more of a factor than Ole is.

Chairman Steve

He’s like the middle man between SAF and OGS. He probably knows a lot about SAFs style and man management.

SAFs later years were essentially him delegating his role out to people anyway. The coaching, training and tactics were out to Rene and Phelan. You could argue Queiroz was the guy who got Utd to be more consistent in Europe. The scouting team oversaw transfers such as Chicharito. SAF was essentially the man management and arguably Utds greatest strength of all.

SAF had the ability to get 9/10 performances from players who had 7/10 for natural abilities.

red4ever 79

Nostalgia. Bought a lump to my throat those fans singing for him in the second half. A good coach who gets the Utd way. Criminal act from Moyes not to retain his knowledge and expertise. Sir Michael Phelan please rise

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There was something like 3 Phelan chants in a row, then as soon as they petered out, the Reading mutants seemed to chime in with "your support is fecking shit". Football fans are weird

I'm keen to know who else could get over 70,000 in for an FA Cup 3rd round tie, to watch the 2nd string play against a struggling Championship side when it's no more than 2 degrees outside, and have multiple songs sung about the assistant manager. Name them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This whole obsession with Mike Phelan's shorts is just plain weird.

Good to know it has spread to Ole now.

keithsingleton

It's great to have him back. Was gutted when he wasn't asked to be Moyes No2. I always remember the incident when popping the balloon and SAF shit himself. :D

For me no matter who the next manager is I hope he stays this time. It's no coincidence we're playing better now that he's back on board.

MoskvaRed

I don’t know how long the feelgood factor will last but it’s great to have two people in charge who really understand United. You don’t need to have played for us like these two (Fergie didn’t after all), but it was clear none of our last three managers really had a clue what they were dealing with (egotism in all three cases mixed with, respectively, incompetence, stubborness and obsolescence).

Foxbatt

I hope some match going fans will throw some balloons near him. I want to see him do it again.