"He was/is clearly the best player in the league"

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Regarding that Suarez season, i seen someone saying almost half his goals came against relegated teams and he only scored 1 against the top 6.

If true, doesnt that devalue the season a bit, or was it just that a good a season nothing de values it?

Still think that goal against Newcastle he scored from the long ball is one of the best ive ever seen.
This is usually a useless metric.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Henry 2002 - 24 goals and 5 assists
RVN 2002 - 23 goals and 4 assists

Henry 2003 - 24 goals and 20 assists
RVN 2003 - 25 goals and 4 assists.

Henry 2004 - 30 goals and 6 assists
RVN 2004 - 20 goals and 4 assists.

I'm taking those from the Premier League website so I'm not exactly sure if they are accurate. Those were good battles. I'm amazed that Henry dropped 16 assists but scored 6 more goals in their invincibles season. Did he start taking penalties when he wasn't before? I can't remember.

arnie_ni

Because goals scored are not the only measure of performance against a top 6 side. And as a striker if you're not provided much service due to the rest of your team failing you, you won't do much more often than not. More context is needed.
Then quoting goals to strengthen an arguement cant be used either if you dismiss the context in which they were scored

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Regarding that Suarez season, i seen someone saying almost half his goals came against relegated teams and he only scored 1 against the top 6.

If true, doesnt that devalue the season a bit, or was it just that a good a season nothing de values it?

Still think that goal against Newcastle he scored from the long ball is one of the best ive ever seen.
He played good even when he didn't score. He often took a "playmaker" role vs top teams, and excelled in that role too.

arnie_ni

I... don't disagree with that and I don't think this contradicts my normal statement.
It doesn't, but throughout this thread there is stats quoted in nearly every other post to strengthen an argument, so i suppose I was countering with negative goalscoring stats for one example

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I would say Cech in 10/11 was a lowkey candidate.

Dragged a stale Chelsea side barely creating anything into a title race.

MrEleson

He played good even when he didn't score. He often took a "playmaker" role vs top teams, and excelled in that role too.
Yeah I remember him playing some outrageous passes to set Sterling up on a plate against City away that year only for the then teenager to inexplicably miss. He was great in almost every game he played that season (whether he scored or didn’t).

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Ribery and Robben for almost 10 years straight in Bundesliga.

Mcking

Taking over a period of maybe 3 to 5 years. I'd go with Shearer, Henry, Ronaldo and Hazard.